The 2014 AFL National Draft

Whispering_Jack

Thats ok. I called for Wines and Freeman/ Dunstan/Sheed over Salem. Mature bodies with grunt. No Grgic, Cook, Gysberts or Morton types. We have no gym and IMO must draft players who are ready to go.

Yet Freeman did his hamstring in his first NAB cup match.

Thats ok. I called for Wines and Freeman/ Dunstan/Sheed over Salem. Mature bodies with grunt. No Grgic, Cook, Gysberts or Morton types. We have no gym and IMO must draft players who are ready to go.

Freeman's not playing, Sheed was dropped, Dunstan's going ok and Salem will be better than all of them. He has grunt.

• Like 1

draft talk already

how depressing

Yeah, I know. I was looking forward to the footy for once this season and now it looks like I'm going to be hanging out for the under 18's carnival then the draft/trade week again.

Yeah, I know. I was looking forward to the footy for once this season and now it looks like I'm going to be hanging out for the under 18's carnival then the draft/trade week again.

yup

just so we can pick another kid we wont develop

The next instalment of AFL PROSPECTUS prospects -

RYAN LIM Claremont Midfielder 185cm Resembles: Colin Sylvia

A medium midfielder, Lim is strong overhead and an aggressive runner with excellent athletic ability. In 2012 he played all three NAB AFL Under-16 Championship game for Western Australia, averaging 17 disposals and four marks and continued his impressive form that season by debuting at Colts level for Claremont, playing four matches, averaging 16 disposals and four marks. In 2013 he played two NAB AFL Under-18 Championship matches, however, again as a bottom-aged player at Colts level, played 13 matches to average 21 disposals and seven marks, leading the team for score assists.

FREAKO: Has improved his game but still needs to sharpen up his kicking. Another Sandgroper to keep an eye on.

BRAYDEN MAYNARD Sandringham Gen Def/Mid 184cm Resembles: Ryan O'Keefe

Maynard thrives on the contested parts of the game and is also more than handy around goals. Despite not being key position size, Maynard can play at either end of the ground and has the potential to impact games. In 2013 he played 13 matches for Sandringham predominately across half-back, averaging 13 disposals and three marks per game. His 94 contested possessions ranked fifth at the club and his 51 tackles ranked second. He finished runner-up in the Dragons' B&F.

FREAKO: Another rough diamond who is as hard as nails. Looking forward to a big 2014.

PATRICK MCCARTIN Geelong Key Fwd 192cm Resembles: Taylor Walker

McCartin played all three NAB AFL Under-16 Championships matches in 2012 for Vic Country, averaging nine disposals, five marks and two goals, with his best performance against South Australia booting five goals straight. In 2013 he played four NAB AFL Under-18 Championship matches where his marking was again a highlight, grabbing 28 marks including 12 contested - ranked second in the competition. He also scored eight goals in this carnival including five against Western Australia. At TAC Cup level for Geelong in 2013, he played eight matches, booting 21 goals.

FREAKO: A strong and powerful key forward who should dominate TAC Cup and Championships in 2014.

SEAN MCLAREN Sandringham Ruck 197cm Resembles: David Hale

An improving ruckman, McLaren is also a more than competent tall defender or forward. He played each of Vic Metro's three matches at the 2012 NAB AFL Under-16 Championships with modest averages of eight disposals, three marks and 13 hitouts per game. In 2013 he played four of five NAB AFL Under-18 Championship matches, again averaging a modest six disposals, two marks and 13 hitouts, however, at TAC Cup level he played seven matches, averaging seven disposals, two marks and 19 hitouts - ranked 10th in the competition.

FREAKO: Currently at 197cm and still developing, he ticks all the boxes so far. Another quality Dragon in their 2014 line-up.

DARCY MOORE Oakleigh Key Fwd 196cm Resembles: Josh Kennedy (WCE)

With Brownlow Medallist dad Peter playing 152 matches with Collingwood, Darcy is eligible to join the Pies under the Father-Son rule in 2014. He is an athletic tall forward/defender who is an excellent pack or lead mark. At the 2012 NAB AFL Under-16 Championships he was one of Victoria Metro's key players, averaging 12 disposals and six marks across three games. He also debuted at TAC Cup level with Oakleigh in 2012, playing two matches. In 2013 between school commitments and injury, had played a further four matches for the Chargers.

FREAKO: Needs to keep his feet on the ground and ensure 2014 is a breakout season.

JACKSON NELSON Geelong Gen Def/Mid 186cm Resembles: Robert Murphy

Nelson is a competitive rebounding half-back/inside midfielder. For Victoria Country at the 2012 NAB AFL Under-16 Championships, he ranked No. 1 for his team for effective kicks, uncontested possessions and handball- receives, and third in tackles and inside 50s, ending the Championships with averages of 14 disposals and three marks per game. He played four matches at the 2013 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 12 disposals, six marks and three tackles and for Geelong at TAC Cup level played 12 games, averaging 16 disposals, four marks and three rebound 50s.

FREAKO: Haven't seen much of him yet, but impressed by his sound qualities and competitiveness.

Given that it looks like this years draft is loaded with talls, who're the teams likely to be wanting early picks to try to nab them?

Adelaide - absolutely they would, but they're not going to want to trade the likes of Dangerfield, Sloane, Crouch for them, and who else on their list would be that desirable?

Brisbane - probably, but outside the three R's and Handley, who else is there as kids that they'd be prepared to give up?

Carlton - absolutely, but for the third club in a row, there's little currency on their list to demand a top 3 pick outside the free agent Gibbs.

Collingwood - might be a chance, with a surfeit of good midfield choices, perhaps a Sidebottom would be an offer, but wouldn't we want Beams in preference for instance?

Essendon - have talls, but will they need to inject class if 15 or so players are suspended?

Fremantle - my guess is their eye is on Hogan as a tall, not a young Vic or SA boy

Geelong - would love to get Wright, I'm sure, but would a Duncan / Varcoe / Guthrie or some secondary combination be worth pick 1?

GC17 - a big chance, with heaps of midfield depth, and I'm sure they'd love another key forward / ruck man of genuine class

GWS - unlikely given their surfeit of talls

Hawthorn - Frawley is their man, not a youngster, as they chase premierships over the next 3-5 years

North Melbourne - absolutely a chance, but outside not Swallow and Ziebell I'd wager they'd be more likely to offer up the likes of Atley / Cunningham, and is that worth a top pick?

Port Adelaide - would probably be in the race just to spite the Crows in a chase for Durdin, but their premium mids wouldnt be on offer, more likely the likes of Moore, O'Shea, which is clearly not enough

Richmond - absolutely I'd say, with Riewoldt and Vickery not the greatest combo known to man, but could likes of Ellis, Conca, Vlastuin be prised free? They're the guys they really need the most

St Kilda - would love it, but I'd be backing them to finish down with us with access to a top pick regardless

Sydney - unlikely but you never know, would love to get Hanneberry personally, who may be looking for a change of scenery

West Coast - unlikely

Western Bulldogs - probably the best chance, but early indications are they'll have an early pick - and would they be prepared to give up a father-son like Wallis?

Best chances of wanting an early pick but not having access to one themselves for mine would be Adelaide, Footscray, Richmond, Gold Coast and Carlton.

Given that it looks like this years draft is loaded with talls, who're the teams likely to be wanting early picks to try to nab them?

Adelaide - absolutely they would, but they're not going to want to trade the likes of Dangerfield, Sloane, Crouch for them, and who else on their list would be that desirable?

Brisbane - probably, but outside the three R's and Handley, who else is there as kids that they'd be prepared to give up?

Carlton - absolutely, but for the third club in a row, there's little currency on their list to demand a top 3 pick outside the free agent Gibbs.

Collingwood - might be a chance, with a surfeit of good midfield choices, perhaps a Sidebottom would be an offer, but wouldn't we want Beams in preference for instance?

Essendon - have talls, but will they need to inject class if 15 or so players are suspended?

Fremantle - my guess is their eye is on Hogan as a tall, not a young Vic or SA boy

Geelong - would love to get Wright, I'm sure, but would a Duncan / Varcoe / Guthrie or some secondary combination be worth pick 1?

GC17 - a big chance, with heaps of midfield depth, and I'm sure they'd love another key forward / ruck man of genuine class

GWS - unlikely given their surfeit of talls

Hawthorn - Frawley is their man, not a youngster, as they chase premierships over the next 3-5 years

North Melbourne - absolutely a chance, but outside not Swallow and Ziebell I'd wager they'd be more likely to offer up the likes of Atley / Cunningham, and is that worth a top pick?

Port Adelaide - would probably be in the race just to spite the Crows in a chase for Durdin, but their premium mids wouldnt be on offer, more likely the likes of Moore, O'Shea, which is clearly not enough

Richmond - absolutely I'd say, with Riewoldt and Vickery not the greatest combo known to man, but could likes of Ellis, Conca, Vlastuin be prised free? They're the guys they really need the most

St Kilda - would love it, but I'd be backing them to finish down with us with access to a top pick regardless

Sydney - unlikely but you never know, would love to get Hanneberry personally, who may be looking for a change of scenery

West Coast - unlikely

Western Bulldogs - probably the best chance, but early indications are they'll have an early pick - and would they be prepared to give up a father-son like Wallis?

Best chances of wanting an early pick but not having access to one themselves for mine would be Adelaide, Footscray, Richmond, Gold Coast and Carlton.

Adelaide - Depending on where they finish they may be open to trading one of Sloane or Dangerfield, Sloane yes and Danger only if they believe he may walk at the end of 2015,

Brisbane - They need a replacement for Brown, I doubt Rockliff would be put on the table or Luenberger and given they may finish close to us a trad eis unlikely

Carlton - This is the club who will be big time looking for KPP, but who do they have/or are likely to give who would improve our list.

Collingwood - IMO it would depend on how their young players come on namely Keefe, Witts and what Jesse White shows, I would consider Sidebottom and an exchange of first round picks

Essendon - Can't see them chasing any KPP'S

Freo - as you suggest their eye and money will be on HOGAN, they wont offer Fyfe, Mundy may return home but I don't see it unless it to a flag contender

Geelong - I think they will back their philosophy of drafting well and producing from within

GC17 - They have a gun midfield and lack the forwards of GWS, Prestia and Swallow recently just signed highly unlikely but they are the two I would be asking about

GWS - Dylan Shiel and their activated mid first round pick?, they may get offered a Kruezer/Yarran or someone else in exchange for Patton and may wish to get another KPP in

Hawthorn - agree with you can't see them chasing a young KPP

North Melbourne - agree with you I would want Ziebell and their firts round pick for pick 1

Port Adelaide - can't see it but if you don't ask you don't get, Schulz it not getting any younger, How about Ollie Wines - I know it wont happen

Richmond - don't see it happening

St Kilda - as you say they will be down with us so not likely to get hold of Jack Steven for Pick 1 or 2

Sydney - agree with you

West Coast - they would still love a small forward and some pace through the middle and could give something with their first pick if they finish high enough for a crack at the Indigenous Jarrod's from South Freo Pickett/Garlett

Western Bulldogs - I expect them to finish fairly low and wouldn't they love two picks in the top 5, put it on the plate and ask what are you prepared to give

Mate, you abused me last year when I raised Dunstan's name; now look at him.

Don't be so dismissive of people's views. You don't have any more standing than the next guy.

Dunstan has done well.

But he's not a pick 2, as was being advocated.

He's a Brock McLean clone, as I said at the time.

Petracca is a HFF.

Not what we need, and not good enough for pick 1 either.

That's madness.

Brisbane - I'd take Mayes, Aish, Rockliff or Rich off their hands.

Carlton - I'd like Menzel plus serious change.

Collingwood - I'd be happy with Sidebottom.

Geelong - would want but never get Duncan. He is pure calmness and class.

Like a second coming of Enright, but plays midfield.

Geelong wouldn't give up adequate compensation.

GWS - won't want talls except for defenders (Durdin?) but I'd look at Shiel, Plowman or O'Rourke.

Richmond - would have to give up Vlastuin or Conca. Ellis is overrated.

St Kilda - Jack Steven, or a kid like Billings. Can't see it happening.

Bulldogs - I'd want MacRae, but he's their only class. Desperately need a decent forward as Jones is an embarrassment.

Play hardball with them. Maybe Stringer, but I get a bad feeling about him.

GWS - won't want talls except for defenders (Durdin?) but I'd look at Shiel, Plowman or O'Rourke.

Bulldogs - I'd want MacRae, but he's their only class. Desperately need a decent forward as Jones is an embarrassment.

I think Ellis is good, it's just other clubs are now not giving him a free hit at it and tagging him. We will see how he works through it this year but using him to tag Gibbs the other night was a real plus and a good win for Ellis.

It might be a bit early to call on MacRae, he looks good - but I will reserve judgement to the end of the year.

Stringer looks good as well, I don't think we'll be taking any players off the bullies, they should have freed up space in their cap.

I agree with you on Jack Steven, that would be one of our better results - the kid is already elite, he is very good, underrated atm.

St Kilda should also have freed up cap space and if Stevens left, it wouldn't be to our club.

Sidebottom would be perfect, dual sided, inside - outside - midfielder who can play forward or back.. Loves a goal and clean by foot.

I think Sidebottom is the one we should go hard at. He'll have a good year this year, and he'll also probably get limited time in the midfield - given their luxury of superstar mids. Collingwood have Beams back, Pendles runs through there, Swan, now Adams - with up and comers like Kennedy, Elliot and also Harry O and McCaffer spending time in the middle.

I think Shiel will go to Richmond, he dates Williams daughter, but he'd be a good target for us - as would O'Rourke, who fits the Tyson mould of having a lot of talent, yet for reasons outside of his control, he hasn't been able to play to his potential, I think we could package a deal that could see us snare this kid as steak knives. GWS are smart to trade for picks, at least until they know the foundation of who wants to stay/go - and the structure of their side going forward, picks buy them time.. I think we should continue to deal with GWS, it is a unique situation where both sides can win out of the right deal.

Edited by KingDingAling

Plowman my number 1 target.

Should be able to play as a big bodied mid.

Also fits the bill.

Either way, we can drive up the price of O'Rourke/Plowman and then target Boyd/Patton, or vice versa.

GWS are going to be under pressure to balance their cap in the next few years - they'll be trying to pay as little to mid tier players as they can.

I think O'Rourke and Plowman are players that could come to us relatively easily.

Do we need KP's more than mids?

If we can tie up Hogan, then a Hogan/Boyd combo would go along way to getting MFC back on track.

Surely you are joking? We should have had a PP last year on the basis of our two wins yet the AFL succombed to pressure from the other Clubs and denied us our due. Why would this year be different? We should have Tom Boyd on our list this year, making our forward line much stronger for the next decade combined with Hogan and Fitzy.

Might be that the other clubs want better numbers thru the gate to aid their coffers, that could get us another pick. last year they thought we would be too good for them, so they froze us out like big Arny.

I don't think there is one this year, Bryce Gibbs is probably not the right type of player, i reckon we collect the compo pick which will probably be pick 4 or 5 and offer both our top picks up for trade, another couple of deals like the Tyson to GWS one will have us looking better and with the Key position targets at the top end the high picks will be more appealing to sides

lets get some hardass player who is a gun. no, not the Dustman. actually, a wino would do.

If thats the case the club should close its doors. If it cant pick the most talented players it is wasting everyone's time and if it abandons any self-comfidence about it being able to develop talent then it will never succeed. The club needs to, if it gets a chance at this upcoming draft to get high echelon picks, get the best players. FWIW i dont understand the fuss about Dunstan. He's doing what he did in the Sanfl, winning a bit of contested footy and being effective in close and useful on the outside. Everyone knew he would make an instant impact and now all of a sudden 36 touches in two weeks against the likely two worst sides in the comp and not picking him is a grievous error. Getting Tyson and Viney has shored up our stoppages, the club needs quick mids who can win and use the football, not more grinders, there is enough of them on the list - Jones, Trengove, Tyson. Getting some elite talls, in particular a long-term partner for Hogan would be a good play as well. Heaven forbid the club goes for a quick fix at the end lf the year again. Vince and Cross are shoring things up/buying time to allow the club to bring significant under 18 talent in, which is what it should do.

Petracca is not the type of player to draft first when you havent got a sound list structure in place.

• Like 1