Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

So was Essendon and see where that ends up.

The departure of the CEO provides the Govenment with wriggle room if ASADA comes under fire for process issues.

FWIW, the current CEO was given a ticking bomb assignment when this first broke 13 months ago. I am not sure she was pushed but I don't blame her if she sought greener pastures. Nightmare assignment.

what a load of twaddle rhino.......really

• Like 1

Apparently Hird is still allowed to attend afl matches. he was at the game the other night. Glad to see he is still showing support. Did he pay for a ticket with his 1 mill payout. If it was melbourne and they named the players id be peeved but because its essendon im loving it.

I just hope everyone forgets about Trengove. Although you cant compare what he did to the bombers. But did Trenners just use the cream once?

So was Essendon and see where that ends up.

The departure of the CEO provides the Govenment with wriggle room if ASADA comes under fire for process issues.

FWIW, the current CEO was given a ticking bomb assignment when this first broke 13 months ago. I am not sure she was pushed but I don't blame her if she sought greener pastures. Nightmare assignment.

Nope. She's a public service CEO. Formerly at Centrelink. Really just another bureaucrat.

A delay in dispensing infractions to mid season may not be ideal for the AFL but the competition will go on. And another written off season for the bombers won't cause too much grief beyond their supporter base and the Murdoch press.

The Murdoch Press are reflecting the majority view in the conservative ruling cabal (ie those around Abbott) in the Federal Liberal party. You only have to see how many governing bodies in all sorts of areas set up for fairness and good governance have been dismantled in the last six months. They have their sights on the same for ASADA starting with the planned resignation in May of its CEO, and the appointment (by the Federal Government - not ASADA) of the Federal Court judge. This to me has all the hallmarks of the well established Liberal Party connections of members of the Essendon Board, starting with Paul Little, asserting their self interest. Given that the Abbott Government seems to be THE most influenced by vested interests of any federal government, Labor or Liberal, in living memory, it is not surprising Essendon (and perhaps the AFL given how much they have to lose) are trying this tack.

Fortunately, if the process is rushed and then dropped "through lack of evidence", which is where I think they are trying to take it, WADA will step in through appeals to the Court of Arbitration in Sport. Fortunately, there are still a few institutions (a decreasing number sadly) that are beyond the influence of Abbott and his crew. In the end, I still believe justice will be done, but it will still be a long and bloody fight. In the end, infraction notices will be issued to 12 plus Essendon and ex Essendon players, writs will be issued by those players against Essendon and the AFL, and it will drag on for years, possibly breaking Essendon, and making the AFL and the game very much the poorer for it.

That is not a reason why it should not be done. On the contrary. IMHO Essendon and Cronulla have to be treated the same as any other athlete/athletes who break the WADA codes. Otherwise the system becomes a farce.

If there is damage on the way, so be it.

• Like 3

Sandor Earl not happy Dank can be employeed in a sports capacity again where as he and ex Cronulla coaches and staff are still in limbo land.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/sandor-earl-stunned-by-job-offer-to-stephen-dank-20140302-33u2t.html

Gun for hire...

I'm still waiting for Workcover to begin their investigation. It beggars belief they have not chosen to look at this.

don't hold your breath jnr the MFC will play in a GF before that happens

My rumour supplier advises the AFL will never lay down on all of this. Hird is less likely to coach again than he ever was. Several players will cop bans/be deregistered and some more heat is still to hit off field staff who think they are outside of the situation. AFL are just looking to hit The Dons hard, but not too hard, so-as gate takings will not be diminished massively. Legal boffins are, weekly, getting closer and closer to an agreement that will upset many Dons followers. Apparently some of the player's parents are still waitng to see if they will need to sue the club. Lawyers are making a massive amount and will make even more yet to assist their early retirement plans. AFL want WADA/ASADA to advise guilty party's within 6 - 8 weeks. AFL dont want to have to take points won away again and so are pushing for earlier announcements. Other AFL presidents/CEO's want it all cleared up and are giving very little, if any support to Essendon. Vlad is happy for "others" to make the heavy decisions and then will act under his own AFL powers and BAM! My informant has so far been pretty well spot on yet has missed a couple of reports that got out before he heard of them. Beer is the serum of truth.

Some of this is old news!

Yes, well said. This fairly much is in line with the information I am getting from legal sources and the federal bureaucracy. There is no love lost between the AFL and Essendon although the AFL is very afraid of the legal nightmare which is about to unfold when the infraction notices are issued and the players sue Essendon and the AFL. THE AFL are incredibly dirty on Essendon and particular Hird's SWOT team in the way they have behaved. They think a lot of this was avoidable had Evans still been in charge and his advisors still been in place. ASADA/WADA are determined to punish Essendon to the maximum because of their uncooperative attitude and the litigious route that Hird has taken. It is a matter of when, not if, and it will be incredibly messy, and very very expensive. Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 5

I simply cannot see how Hird can coach again at AFL level given the shite that has gone down. I heard a while back that contrary to common perception, he did not sign a contract extension beyond 2014. If players are suspended for this debacle, who the hell would want to play under him? He's not the messiah, he's just a naughty little boy.

I simply cannot see how Hird can coach again at AFL level given the shite that has gone down. I heard a while back that contrary to common perception, he did not sign a contract extension beyond 2014. If players are suspended for this debacle, who the hell would want to play under him? He's not the messiah, he's just a naughty little boy.

Not 100% on the quote, but close enough. +1

I'll believe it when I see it.

And me too

However, Andrew Demetriou was surprisingly forthright I thought in his retirement tv interview ..... " I never injected anyone with God-knows what substances " ........ " we always had the players' welfare at heart " etc

His comments to my interpretation show his disgust with people in positions of authority at EFC who ran an experimental lab playing with injectables.

Seemed aimed squarely at Chemical Jamie.

Yes, well said. This fairly much is in line with the information I am getting from legal sources and the federal bureaucracy. There is no love lost between the AFL and Essendon although the AFL is very afraid of the legal nightmare which is about to unfold when the infraction notices are issued and the players sue Essendon and the AFL. THE AFL are incredibly dirty on Essendon and particular Hird's SWOT team in the way they have behaved. They think a lot of this was avoidable had Evans still been in charge and his advisors still been in place. ASADA/WADA are determined to punish Essendon to the maximum because of their uncooperative attitude and the litigious route that Hird has taken. It is a matter of when, not if, and it will be incredibly messy, and very very expensive.

I'm not entirely doubting what you say may be true, but in what capacity would you be getting information from "legal sources and federal bureaucracy"?

Yes, well said. This fairly much is in line with the information I am getting from legal sources and the federal bureaucracy. There is no love lost between the AFL and Essendon although the AFL is very afraid of the legal nightmare which is about to unfold when the infraction notices are issued and the players sue Essendon and the AFL. THE AFL are incredibly dirty on Essendon and particular Hird's SWOT team in the way they have behaved. They think a lot of this was avoidable had Evans still been in charge and his advisors still been in place. ASADA/WADA are determined to punish Essendon to the maximum because of their uncooperative attitude and the litigious route that Hird has taken. It is a matter of when, not if, and it will be incredibly messy, and very very expensive.

this I wonder, if its a lot to do with Demitriou's retirement, & if he'll do the dirty work on all the scum, on his way out the door. then fight from a distance against any retaliation from the have you heard backers.