MFC Action Plan

Goodvibes

Our problems are many and varied. The negativity round these parts, for good reason, has been immense. I acknowledge that this thread only adds to the already significant emphasis on the negative but hope it will focus our attention on what really matters and who is responsible for our current position and as a consequence which changes our new CEO will make first.

Below is a list of factors. I’m interested in my fellow Demonlander stating their priorities in terms of identifying those areas/people/issues most responsible for our current struggles:

1. The President
  2. The Coach
  3. Assistant Coaches
  4. Fitness Staff
  5. The Board
  6. Our lowly supporter base
  7. Our financial instability
  8. Our playing list
  9. Our training facilities
  10. Our home ground
  11. VFL affiliation
  12. Links to the MCC
  13. Physical Administration structure
  14. Identity/Branding
  15. Football Department Structure

Many of the above can be linked. Many of the above may be seen as positives. Many of the above may need to be further divided and sub-divided.

When Peter Jackson meets the AFL this week “cap in hand” what do you think will be on the top of his list in terms of changes that will require financial support from the league?

Most of them are priorities, I can only seperate them through what will be done first, not what is needed to be attended to the most.

As you said - we meet with the AFL on Friday so that will our finances will come first, and that is tied to the FD Structure and The Coach as we may require to pay-out some contracts.

Then comes the Board and the President.

The rest seem to be October and beyond.

Jackson will be looking for money to cover the paying out of Neelds contract, and also he will want to be getting that 500k fine back.

Basically he will be asking for emergency funding so that we end up braking even in 2013 instead of losing a couple of million.

He will also ask for a Priority Pick as we tick all the boxes to receive one.

He will present his plan to restructure the FD and the MFC brand, and if Andy likes what he hears he will give the cash and the PP will be agreed on.

We will not and don't deserve a priority pick.

FD, Coaches, Board. Three most important things to be changed/fixed.

We are like the titanic plowing through the icebergs crying out "all is well in the night"

I just hope that PJ shines a light on the icebergs and tells the board the hull is 3/4 full of water and we are going down.

Chances are his recommendations will sit next to the Andrews report.

Our problems are many and varied. The negativity round these parts, for good reason, has been immense. I acknowledge that this thread only adds to the already significant emphasis on the negative but hope it will focus our attention on what really matters and who is responsible for our current position and as a consequence which changes our new CEO will make first.

Below is a list of factors. Im interested in my fellow Demonlander stating their priorities in terms of identifying those areas/people/issues most responsible for our current struggles:

• The President
  • The Coach
  • Assistant Coaches
  • Fitness Staff
  • The Board
  • Our lowly supporter base
  • Our financial instability
  • Our playing list
  • Our training facilities
  • Our home ground
  • VFL affiliation
  • Links to the MCC
  • Physical Administration structure
  • Identity/Branding
  • Football Department Structure

Many of the above can be linked. Many of the above may be seen as positives. Many of the above may need to be further divided and sub-divided.

When Peter Jackson meets the AFL this week cap in hand what do you think will be on the top of his list in terms of changes that will require financial support from the league?

Good, well thought out list of key issues. Almost all aspects of running an elite sports team actually, so says a lot about where we are at.

The most important issues to me relate to getting credibility and hope back into the club, so we retain and recruit good players, and rekindle enthusiasm amongst supporters. This means we need credible, competent leaders at the top (Board, President, CEO - all of these are being directly addressed by the PJ review and the AFL, so I think they will be competently handled, and we will get a good outcome), then comes the FD. It is clear that much of the motivations behind going cap in hand for more money from the AFL is what in corporate terms are called "restructuring costs" that is, when a company is in terminal decline, a knife is taken to it, the deadwood in both people and process are removed, and the one off cost of this is provisioned for. This is clearly what Jackson and the AFL are doing here, which in my view will involve paying out Neeld and half his FD staff at year's end, recruiting a high profile experienced coach (at the moment i understand Rodney Eade has the inside running, which i think would work) and assistant coaches; reviewing list management and shoring up key player contracts (don't be surprised if they bring in football experts from outside the MFC in the next couple of months to do that ); and then selling what they have done to the media and general public to restore confidence in the Club and with current and future supporters. In these circumstance, if MFC were a public company, it would be a bargain basement investment with a huge upside. I'd invest with great enthusiasm and great expectations.....

Edited by Dees2014

We do not deserve a priority pick and although I am craving success, I hope we don't get one. We got priority picks and early draft choices for a number of years, and tying this into the tanking debacle we totally stuffed up any advantage we might have gained. We lost credibility in every area of football life right across the AFL. We need to follow the lead of Port Adelaide - they recruited first at the very top in that Koch bloke - and they are determined to rise again under their own steam. No more handouts, no more easy hand shakes with mates, no crappy "short term loss for long term gain" that led us into tanking.

1. We need a strong, focused, capable, hard-nosed President who can be a change agent in partnership with PJ, and stay 8 - 10 years in the job.

2. A review of the board members. Not all the current board will be duds, and a few people familiar with the place would be handy.

3. A strategic business plan (please not a Red and Blue print) that will give us long term institutional and financial sustainability.

Without these three things, no coach or superstar player will make any difference.

4. Get us a #@*&%$# coach who can coach, and assistant coaches who can assist. PLLLEEEAAASSSEEE!!!!!!

We do not deserve a priority pick and although I am craving success, I hope we don't get one. We got priority picks and early draft choices for a number of years, and tying this into the tanking debacle we totally stuffed up any advantage we might have gained. We lost credibility in every area of football life right across the AFL.

No-one 'deserves' a Priority Pick.

They are there to help keep the League even (or even it up) in the case of a consistetn struggler.

I am sorry to all those clubs who are trying to push this agenda to not give us a pick by saying we are our own enemy - it is irrelevant.

We are the protypical team to get a PP.

• Like 4

Below is a list of factors. I’m interested in my fellow Demonlander stating their priorities in terms of identifying those areas/people/issues most responsible for our current struggles:

The problems:

1. The Board and its decisions e.g. on tanking, Schwab etc.

2. The Football Department generally, lack of structure and reporting

3. The playing list

4. Recruitment (one you didn't list) ... this is a major, major factor.

I don't put much emphasis on the coaches themselves. They inherited a dysfunctional football department and playing list; a third-world midfield; some lazy, unprofessional players with a bad influence; and a leadership vacuum they've tried to do their best with. You could put Roos or Malthouse in and they'd still take years to get somewhere.

The problems:

1. The Board and its decisions e.g. on tanking, Schwab etc.

2. The Football Department generally, lack of structure and reporting

3. The playing list

4. Recruitment (one you didn't list) ... this is a major, major factor.

I don't put much emphasis on the coaches themselves. They inherited a dysfunctional football department and playing list; a third-world midfield; some lazy, unprofessional players with a bad influence; and a leadership vacuum they've tried to do their best with. You could put Roos or Malthouse in and they'd still take years to get somewhere.

The Board obviously needs to be restructured. What we haven't really addressed on Demonland is how. Most people talk in sweeping terms about "getting in a new board". The credentials of each individual on the current board are impressive. The collective record of the board is miserable. Do some members of the board stay or do we replace the lot? How can we gauge the effectiveness of individuals on the board?

To be honest, another priority pick would make the AFL our enabler. I agree with money (with caveats in place) as that will be key in the survival of the club. However, I think the AFL needs to give Melbourne incentives to get it's house in order and more draft handouts isn't it. I would be open to us getting money and priority picks if this had been a decade of shizer. In 2010, we were debt free, had a reasonable list, a new training facility and record membership. That has now been all pizzed up against the wall.
If I were AFL CEO and a club asked me for money with that track record, I would tell them to go and get firetrucked.

I'm not sure how this became a discussion about a potential priority pick but I struggle to understand why some would refuse it. High draft picks are still the best avenue to top end talent. Just because we've made mistakes in the past doesn't mean we'll make them again. I dream of a scenario when we're killing mid table teams and opposition supporters are sooking about all of our priority picks. When Brisbane and Sydney won their flags with massively inflated salary caps the rest of the comp was spewing but years on we rarely talk about their AFL influenced advantages we just talk about how bloody good their teams were. If we gain a priority pick and have two picks within the first 4 and we spend them on midfielders we'll be a genuine chance. Toumpas, Viney plus two more young talents (let's say the equivalent of Whitfield and Wines) and we'll be scary with the forward line we've assembled. An established B/A grade mature midfielder would certainly help too. I don't care how other supporters perceive us - it can't get any worse - a priority pick will take us one step closer to a premiership. We can't afford to be scarred by our recruiting efforts over the past decade.

• Like 4

The Board obviously needs to be restructured. What we haven't really addressed on Demonland is how. Most people talk in sweeping terms about "getting in a new board". The credentials of each individual on the current board are impressive. The collective record of the board is miserable. Do some members of the board stay or do we replace the lot? How can we gauge the effectiveness of individuals on the board?

I don't know enough about the current board roles and responsibilities, but I think I'd be looking at things like:

• the appropriate size for the board
  • their spread of skills and expertise (how many football jocks is enough, or how many insurance salesmen? </sarcasm>)
  • the deficiencies in terms of background and experience
  • the protocols for management, reporting and decision-making
  • their linkages to the administration and the football department
  • their communication channels with the members, media and public
  • how to set up an assessment regime or KPIs
  • the advice they get
  • even on-going training etc. etc.

For example, in regard to the ongoing coaching issues, I don't think they've been definitive or prompt enough. They've let media snipers and speculators set the agenda for too long. If they're not going to sack Neeld, they need a definitive statement about backing him and why, even if it's until the end of the year, or until the end of PJ's FD review. There's nothing worse than the old line of just 'the coach has our full support', or alternatively, nothing.

• Like 4

he didnt even list the most important one - player development

how about better napkins at the food stalls

While we might fit the criteria for a priority pick I still think it's a hard sell. I can see the arguments being put as follows:

If the problem is the coach, then we replace the coach and we'll improve without the need for a priority pick.

Or...

If the problem is not the coach, we'll improve as players come to grips with the coach and his requirements and we'll improve without the need for a priority pick.

We need two or three midfielders that average more than 100 dream team points every week.

Our best midfielder Jones only averages 80

Our backline and Forward line are ok.

The problem really is with the midfield, as far as possesions won, fitness and pace.

Two things will makeus competitive again : 1. A new coach who is proven, like Roos, Choco,Eade,Clarkson.

2. Do or die, we must target two or three very good established mids.

( AFL assistance here, with extended salary cap and draft picks to trade with.)

Once we have success on the field ,the rest will follow.

Edited by DeeZee

they are all inter related...

Chicken & Egg

the issues started by Not keeping up with the world & the competition back in the mid 60's.

compounded by losing our heartland advantage, sole occupancy of the 'G'... & in the 50's before the Olympics & Olympic Stand was built, I bet supporters were Much More Involved throughout the Club.

.... then build the northern stand, put up fences & gates to keep people apart, ayed in their own areas.... & the rot begins... slowly slowly changes eek away @ the fabric, & then the Tigers are allowed tenancy of the 'G'...

Barassi leaves Melbourne, & Smith is sacked... Hafey takes over the Tigers.

Melbourne still remain steadfast in the face of cash inducements to the states better Footballers... the rise of the Tiger...

Melbourne begins years of soulless performances...

the rise of Carton... with a tenacity fitness & skill familiar to despondent Melbourne supporters.

... continued poor performances from the red & blue, & the supporters look for small mercies in individual efforts & players, as distinct from Pride in the Jumper...

...defeatism has emerged, cheering individuals... the prelude to the Tail wags the Dog syndrome...

pto.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barassi & friends arrive back to change the tide, 5 yrs of back busting efforts to try to bleach out the stains of years of Tails Wagging...

... a healthier club is handed over after a coach has spent all he had,,,, & burnt the faith of many because of the time taken to cleanse the Rickets from the club.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

a new man enters the building, After much unsung hardwork has changed the Nature, & Culture & Attitudes & Professionalism & the List, of the whole Club,,, from the Bootstudder to the President...

Swooper in his second Year, with the help of the recruitment of a handful of mature players from interstate, & some handy kids from the grassroots zones, added some spark to the old flag..

Ignition was realised & liftoff occurred, after a Feisty resistance against Matthews & Taylors barbaric Pie comeback in a game in '87...

the spark had been Lit, & the Pain of Hunger erupted...

Edited by dee-luded

they are all inter related...

Chicken & Egg

the issues started by Not keeping up with the world & the competition back in the mid 60's.

compounded by losing our heartland advantage, sole occupancy of the 'G'... & in the 50's before the Olympics & Olympic Stand was built, I bet supporters were Much More Involved throughout the Club.

.... then build the northern stand, put up fences & gates to keep people apart, ayed in their own areas.... & the rot begins... slowly slowly changes eek away @ the fabric, & then the Tigers are allowed tenancy of the 'G'...

Barassi leaves Melbourne, & Smith is sacked... Hafey takes over the Tigers.

Melbourne still remain steadfast in the face of cash inducements to the states better Footballers... the rise of the Tiger...

Melbourne begins years of soulless performances...

the rise of Carton... with a tenacity fitness & skill familiar to despondent Melbourne supporters.

... continued poor performances from the red & blue, & the supporters look for small mercies in individual efforts & players, as distinct from Pride in the Jumper...

...defeatism has emerged, cheering individuals... the prelude to the Tail wags the Dog syndrome...

pto.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barassi & friends arrive back to change the tide, 5 yrs of back busting efforts to try to bleach out the stains of years of Tails Wagging...

... a healthier club is handed over after a coach has spent all he had,,,, & burnt the faith of many because of the time taken to cleanse the Rickets from the club.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

a new man enters the building, After much unsung hardwork has changed the Nature, & Culture & Attitudes & Professionalism & the List, of the whole Club,,, from the Bootstudder to the President...

Swooper in his second Year, with the help of the recruitment of a handful of mature players from interstate, & some handy kids from the grassroots zones, added some spark to the old flag..

Ignition was realised & liftoff occurred, after a Feisty resistance against Matthews & Taylors barbaric Pie comeback in a game in '87...

the spark had been Lit, & the Pain of Hunger erupted...

.... the key now for the Board is to start the rebuild from the bottom, the grass roots supporters 'on the Outer'... give them their needs.

shore up your members, & add value to their existence.

.. create the Clubs missing links, which have occurred due to the changes at the MCG itself. build the home base @ our training facilities. (it doesn't have to be too flash)

a start is as good as a holiday.

whilst the boards busy, the footy department can get tough on fitness & disciplines... recruitment a priority.... & build some much needed honesty into our natural culture.

no more excuses, & take no prisoners attitudes...

I have an article by a couple of sports psychologists about organisational culture change - it was a really good read. It began by saying that little is known about this topic in the sports psych literature BUT increasingly sports psychs are being called on to give their opinions on it. I'll dig it up and get some edited highlights. One point I do remember (I think) was that culture change without board level involvement was either inefficient or impossible. I think it also said that functional teams are born from within strong cultures but that the cultures were dependent on the make up of the leaders within the playing group.

I'll see if I can find it over the weekend.

• Like 1