More home games in Darwin coming...

stuie

The Blues recruited Malthouse but Buttifant did not come with him. Can the Carlton Fitness Boss deliver Mick the athletes in the shape that Buttifant did. Does he have the quality of Assistant Coaches that he had in the 2011 Premiership year? 3 of the 2011 Maggies Assistants are now Senior Coaches. The Blues fans are up and about but with a tough draw to start the year that could change pretty damn quickly and rest assured they will jump off the bandwagon again if the year goes pearshaped and the reality dawns that the Judd era will deliver the Blues exactly the same number of Premierships that the Buckley era delivered Collingwood.

will test Mick i agree, but he was thrown out of the Filth too early, so he does have a point to prove.

Will watch their progress closely.

The AFL will love it. Round 2 will be a sell out.

Not qualified eh and you are? best you contact Jeff Kennett, he might be able to get in touch with someone so they can help you.......

i think we should stay away from this sort of personal insult. If you want to argue, then argue, but don't stoop.

• Like 1

i think we should stay away from this sort of personal insult. If you want to argue, then argue, but don't stoop.

Yeah maybe, but when when people try to defend their view with utter crap without facts to back it up and have a need to be right then I suppose I should tone it down I should no better..........but hey "i'm not qualified remember"

WYL is bang on here. it concerns me that some supporters have their blinkers on here. MFC is getting slowly %$^&ed, without lube. Too many members have an overinflated sense of the clubs relevance in the 21st century. The carlton push is a very real threat, yes, the club can turn back the tide by becoming successful but as it stands we are pretty much irelevant to modern footy in the eyes of most. Of course the AFL would rather carlton be playing at the G if they could pack it out. Melbourne in the mind of many is taking up valuable fixturing, just to turn around and fill it with 21000 people. it doesnt make commercial sense for melbourn to be a tenant and Carlton not. That is all that matters in 2013, commercial sense. Until the dees start winning and winning good, the club does not make commercial sense to the AFL.

The club is hanging on by the skin of its teeth - to think otherwise is fantasy

Ok let me put it another way. The financial side of this deal i applaud. The AFL makes it harder with every broadcasting deal it signs.

$1.5 Billion is an obscene amount when clubs are still screaming and being screwed.

Where are those wads of cash going?

Just buy Etihad you tight bastards...now.

The broadcasters are going to only want to televise the big games to recoup their huge outlay, understandable.

But how does this deal enhance the MFC's chances of winning the 13th??

The Filth play 18 games a season at the 'G

Carlton will get to that level in time...Richmond possibly...

I don't blame anyone inside the club for doing this deal. This is a direct cause and effect from the TV rights deal, which we are very low priority.

It will help pay the bills, but growing membership i remain sceptical (160 in 4 years at last count)

Playing in Darwin whilst our enemies use the MCG in our absence.

Yes it is only one game, but it could mean the difference between 4th or 5th spot.

The AFL fixture is only going to get more weighted, and we are an afterthought in that, considering the AFL plays finals at the MCG that i have been a member of since 1982...i am not very pleased right now.

The club may well survive longer but winning a flag just got bloody harder, again.

Fcuk it.

WYL, just want to add something to your comment above.

It's all well and good to talk about Collingwood's 18 games at the MCG, and that Carlton and Richmond are likely to get it too, and that we need to play as much footy at the MCG as possible to help win 13, but all you are doing is making excuses, something I would've expected better from you.

Sydney, in 2012, played 9 home games at the SCG, they played 3 games (both home and away) at ANZ Stadium (which they lost one of to an interstate team). They only played 1 game at the MCG, prior to the GF.

Us playing 2 home games in Darwin isn't going to harm our chances of winning number 13. We will still play considerable footy at our home, and most of those games will see us run out wearing the blue shorts.

What we will never forget is that we are the MCG, it's just that given the fact that the AFL is not the VFL anymore, and that the suburban grounds of Moorabbin, Windy Hill, etc aren't to the standard that they need to be, other teams need somewhere to play, which will always lead to us needing to have other teams "renting a room" from us.

The best way to ensure they don't take over our house is for us to start winning and attract more crowds/members. Selling 2 games up north has nothing to do with what it takes for that to happen.

• Like 1

I think that is all talk to get the owners of Etihad to take a better deal and give over ownership to the AFL.

Punt Rd is the only the MFC would be happy with (outside of a boutique Stadium at Casey) and that is going to cost alot of money and is complicated by space issues and Richmond's growing facilities.

If there is talk of a boutique stadium it should be at Casey, with 2 major stadiums in the City of Melbourne, 1 boutique stadium in Geelong then it makes sense for a second stadium at Casey. What this does for us who knows but it makes sense that this area needs a quality stadium.

If there is talk of a boutique stadium it should be at Casey, with 2 major stadiums in the City of Melbourne, 1 boutique stadium in Geelong then it makes sense for a second stadium at Casey. What this does for us who knows but it makes sense that this area needs a quality stadium.

"The Casey Demons"?

I argued for this once but have since changed my mind. There is no way in hell the AFL will fund a stadium in Casey. Etihad will be bought by the AFL and [censored] games will be played there. We'll play our [censored] games in Darwin.

Why is Casey more deserved of a boutique stadium than any other area of Melbourne, and for that matter, places like Ballarat and Bendigo?

While we will no doubt be required to use a "boutique" stadium at some stage, it's not being built specifically for us.

WYL, just want to add something to your comment above.

It's all well and good to talk about Collingwood's 18 games at the MCG, and that Carlton and Richmond are likely to get it too, and that we need to play as much footy at the MCG as possible to help win 13, but all you are doing is making excuses, something I would've expected better from you.

Sydney, in 2012, played 9 home games at the SCG, they played 3 games (both home and away) at ANZ Stadium (which they lost one of to an interstate team). They only played 1 game at the MCG, prior to the GF.

Us playing 2 home games in Darwin isn't going to harm our chances of winning number 13. We will still play considerable footy at our home, and most of those games will see us run out wearing the blue shorts.

What we will never forget is that we are the MCG, it's just that given the fact that the AFL is not the VFL anymore, and that the suburban grounds of Moorabbin, Windy Hill, etc aren't to the standard that they need to be, other teams need somewhere to play, which will always lead to us needing to have other teams "renting a room" from us.

The best way to ensure they don't take over our house is for us to start winning and attract more crowds/members. Selling 2 games up north has nothing to do with what it takes for that to happen.

Mate i am not making excuses. I am looking at the reality.

Playing games during the season in the NT is a hinderance to our chances of winning a flag.

The deal was taken out of desperation i have no doubt. But its done now.

Let's see if we make it on to the TV.

Please do not bring Sydney into this. They are on a completely different plain.

Being well looked after by HQ.

Edited by why you little

Mate i am not making excuses. I am looking at the reality.

Playing games during the season in the NT is a hinderance to our chances of winning a flag.

The deal was taken out of desperation i have no doubt. But its done now.

Let's see if we make it on to the TV.

WYL, I have showed you that the reigning premiers have had worse to deal with, yet they still won the bloody thing.

How is playing 1 extra game in the NT going to harm our chances of winning a flag?

Why is Casey more deserved of a boutique stadium than any other area of Melbourne, and for that matter, places like Ballarat and Bendigo?

While we will no doubt be required to use a "boutique" stadium at some stage, it's not being built specifically for us.

Nothing about being built specifically for us but since Waverley has gone there is nothing in the eastern/south eastern region of Melbourne and given that Casey is the biggest growth area it could be a good option.

The Western region is covered by Geelong, I don't see any sense in another stadium in the inner city area.

Neither Ballarat or Bendigo are big enough to sustain a 25 to 30k seat stadium.

I argued for this once but have since changed my mind. There is no way in hell the AFL will fund a stadium in Casey. Etihad will be bought by the AFL and [censored] games will be played there. We'll play our [censored] games in Darwin.

It would be a project generated by Government and the AFL, it will happen in the next 20 years.

Yeah maybe, but when when people try to defend their view with utter crap without facts to back it up and have a need to be right then I suppose I should tone it down I should no better..........but hey "i'm not qualified remember"

3165 take a look at the Broadcast deal. I have tried to spell it out.

We are not in their calculations sadly.

Pretty pi55 poor to be referred to as that 3165.

You have as much right to voice your opinions as the next poster. No matter how long or how many posts.

It's further evidence of a poor argument to stoop to that level.

Nothing about being built specifically for us but since Waverley has gone there is nothing in the eastern/south eastern region of Melbourne and given that Casey is the biggest growth area it could be a good option.

The Western region is covered by Geelong, I don't see any sense in another stadium in the inner city area.

It would be a project generated by Government and the AFL, it will happen in the next 20 years.

I think the AFL will never repeat the mistake of VFL park. Not many will find it palatable to go see uninteresting games in an uninteresting location. Transport access will be a big problem. Growth does not equate suitability. The area will be dormitary suburbs and nothing else. Geelong does no have a boutique stadium. It is a genuine home ground due to its separate identity and history to Melbourne. Ballarat and Bendigo would be ideal for one or two games a season.

If it happens it would one of those ludicrous government decisions like building that state of the art baseball stadium at Laverton that did more harm to the game than good.

I'm quite sure North Ballarat (whatever it's called these days) is plenty big enough to build grandtands to accommodate those sort of figures. QE oval at Bendigo may struggle.

Geelong may cover the western region, but I'm talking about the Western suburbs of Melbourne.

You talk of boutique stadiums, you have to think about so many factors. What area is going to be able to cater (parking, public transport, etc) for a crowd of 20,000 or so? And most importantly, what area will attract 20,000+ fans? Just because the Casey region is a growth corridor, doesn't automtically suggest that they will get the crowds there. You also have to look at what the AFL has done in the past, in terms of closing outer suburb ovals, and how they currently operate. With that said, the 2 choices I think are more likely than Casey would be the new area at docklands (where our proposed training hub could be), or a total revamp of the Junction Oval. Both are in close proximity to the CBD, so there should/would be no excuse for supporters from all over Melbourne to attend games there. Building a stadium at Casey will only appeal to a certain "postcode", and I'd be confident to say that this will impact on the crowd size.

I think the AFL will never repeat the mistake of VFL park. Not many will find it palatable to go see uninteresting games in an uninteresting location. Transport access will be a big problem. Growth does not equate suitability. The area will be dormitary suburbs and nothing else. Geelong does no have a boutique stadium. It is a genuine home ground due to its separate identity and history to Melbourne. Ballarat and Bendigo would be ideal for one or two games a season.

If it happens it would one of those ludicrous government decisions like building that state of the art baseball stadium at Laverton that did more harm to the game than good.

VFL park was no mistake...the AFL were able to leverage the deals they have now with the MCC because of it. We would be looking at a completely different competition if it wasn't for Waverley. This is why the word is out on a new stadium, it's about creating a bargaining chip to get a better deal with Docklands. History is repeating itself.

Geelong is now a boutique stadium and is being sold as such since the redevelopment.

Transport infrastructure is the big one and will need to be dealt with stadium or no stadium, a stadium would create the extra incentive to see it done. There is also talk of an airport in the region so things will move on as the area grows.

I'm quite sure North Ballarat (whatever it's called these days) is plenty big enough to build grandtands to accommodate those sort of figures. QE oval at Bendigo may struggle.

Geelong may cover the western region, but I'm talking about the Western suburbs of Melbourne.

You talk of boutique stadiums, you have to think about so many factors. What area is going to be able to cater (parking, public transport, etc) for a crowd of 20,000 or so? And most importantly, what area will attract 20,000+ fans? Just because the Casey region is a growth corridor, doesn't automtically suggest that they will get the crowds there. You also have to look at what the AFL has done in the past, in terms of closing outer suburb ovals, and how they currently operate. With that said, the 2 choices I think are more likely than Casey would be the new area at docklands (where our proposed training hub could be), or a total revamp of the Junction Oval. Both are in close proximity to the CBD, so there should/would be no excuse for supporters from all over Melbourne to attend games there. Building a stadium at Casey will only appeal to a certain "postcode", and I'd be confident to say that this will impact on the crowd size.

If they can't draw a crowd at Casey then the game will be in bad shape. They have had no trouble filling the Geelong ground and by the way Geelong will be a Western suburb of Melbourne in the not to distant future.

...look I'm not talking the next couple of years here and with Docklands moving to AFL ownership nothing will happen in the inner city area, but in the next 20 years there will be some movement and Casey would be well considered.

With the clubs involvement in the region I'm sure we are looking at another Bentleigh type venture, pity we couldn't get it up and running at Casey fields or maybe we can in the near future.

Edited by rjay

I agree with you rjay that the idea was right but it was a big mistake going to Waverley and badly planned. Thats why VFL Park no longer exists. One of the justifications was that Waverley was a growth area which proved to have no bearing. Transport problems were intractable and partially helped kill it and they will be magnified even more going to Casey due to further distance and vastly increased traffic congestion from the Waverley days.

Edited by Muvver Jones

Ok let me put it another way. The financial side of this deal i applaud. The AFL makes it harder with every broadcasting deal it signs.

$1.5 Billion is an obscene amount when clubs are still screaming and being screwed.

Where are those wads of cash going?

Broadcast deal is roughly $1B/5 years or $200M/yr. The AFL distributes roughly $10M per club per year - you do the maths.