Applaud Swans Board & Footy Department

dees64

I don't underestimate the enormity of Melbourne's recruiting disasters. In my previous names of juddcomehometomfc & turnthemover on Demonology I was Neale Daniher's Craig Cameron's & Barry Prendergasts greatest critics. I actually wrote to the MFC telling them in advance what a disaster it would be to recruit Byron Pickett etc etc. I regularly cast criticism at all the Craig Cameron sycophants on Demonology and they know who they are.

However, please don't underestimate the enormity of the extra $1 million dollars the Swans have in their Salary Cap. Very easy to bring prise a Josh Kennedy out of Hawthorn and speculate on a talented but risky Mitch Morton etc etc etc when you have an extra $1 million.

What do these teams have in common? Sydney Swans premiers Grand finalists 05, 06, Brisbane Lions Premiers 01, 02, 03, Grand Finalist 04, Sydney Swans finalists 09, 10, 11, Premiership '12.

Extra room in the cap. Obviously the Brisbane extra funding was removed after Eddie cracked the sads, but in addition to having the luxury of living a more normal life outside the football media circus of Melbourne the players at this teams got more money and it kept them there. Maybe its a coincidence, but to me the fact that 5 premierships of the last 11 have been won with extra salary cap room means something....

What do these teams have in common? Sydney Swans premiers Grand finalists 05, 06, Brisbane Lions Premiers 01, 02, 03, Grand Finalist 04, Sydney Swans finalists 09, 10, 11, Premiership '12.

Extra room in the cap. Obviously the Brisbane extra funding was removed after Eddie cracked the sads, but in addition to having the luxury of living a more normal life outside the football media circus of Melbourne the players at this teams got more money and it kept them there. Maybe its a coincidence, but to me the fact that 5 premierships of the last 11 have been won with extra salary cap room means something....

sure it does. There are too many teams in Victoria for a National Comp.

the extra Salary Cap is not about to leave a club that resides in NRL's heartland.

So the MFC just has to get smarter & stop talking in 5 years time.

It has to be done this summer. By next March we have to be ready to fight tooth & nail.

We may not win. But we must be ready.

The white flag is not acceptable.

Oh woe is us.

Sydney's extra salary cap must be the reason they tackle so ferociously, the reason they put more pressure on the opposition ball carriers than just about any team I have seen. It's the reason the have a no d!$&head policy that leads to people who don't buy in and play their roles for the team playing in the seconds, regardless of a players individual ability. It must be the reason they trust each other implicitly on the field.

I've read at least on simpleton, possibly more, argue that the bloods culture is a myth, I'd argue that said posters intelligence is a myth. Even more so than fantastic coaching and intelligent recruiting, the swans success over the last decade is built on the back of one player looking into their history at depth (as opposed to management lecturing on it) and discovering the old 'bloods' culture that existed for a period of time. With the backing of the senior players in Sydney, they vowed to adhere to a culture that represents the 'bloods'.

Without exception.

The players bought in, those that didn't, didn't play.

I envy them and pray for the day that Melbourne show the type of commitment and passion for their club that the Sydney players do.

• Like 2

Oh woe is us.

Sydney's extra salary cap must be the reason they tackle so ferociously, the reason they put more pressure on the opposition ball carriers than just about any team I have seen. It's the reason the have a no d!$&head policy that leads to people who don't buy in and play their roles for the team playing in the seconds, regardless of a players individual ability. It must be the reason they trust each other implicitly on the field.

I've read at least on simpleton, possibly more, argue that the bloods culture is a myth, I'd argue that said posters intelligence is a myth. Even more so than fantastic coaching and intelligent recruiting, the swans success over the last decade is built on the back of one player looking into their history at depth (as opposed to management lecturing on it) and discovering the old 'bloods' culture that existed for a period of time. With the backing of the senior players in Sydney, they vowed to adhere to a culture that represents the 'bloods'.

Without exception.

I envy them and pray for the day that Melbourne show the type of commitment and passion for their club that the Sydney players do.

we did in the 50's & earlier under Checker.

To get back there will be tougher than previous. But it can be done.

we did in the 50's & earlier under Checker.

To get back there will be tougher than previous. But it can be done.

Gee thanks for that, I wasn't aware what happened in the 50's.

You have an amazing amount of posts for someone with nothing to say

Edited by Rod Grinter Riot Squad
  • Like 4

Just watched Swans President who had a crack at the Eagles after they won the 06 flag & then bottomed out & got early picks including priority pick.

He said the Swans have too much pride & strong culture to go down that path, & worked very hard after retirements from senior players after 05 flag era, to find players who could be developed from existing clubs.

Longmire also said that senior players in leadership group set the std for younger & new players coming into club.

This is how you set Culture!

MFC take note there is no easy way out with early picks!

He also said (perhaps in another interview) that they couldn't afford to bottom out - literally - because their market wouldn't accept it.

I feel also that being the only AFL team in a Rugby city, away from the glare of AFL football, has something to do with the culture that they've managed to create. Shift that whole club to Melbourne, and things would look more than a little different I suspect.

Shows also the importance of senior players on players coming into a club - you only have to read some of the comments from Mitch Morton (or previously, Darren Jolly) to see that.

Guest bluey

TRADING STARTS TOMORROW.

BRING IT ON.

HARD TOUGH PLAYERS PLEASE.

That's hilarious, imagine that, the hard tough men would be wearing Smooths public schoolboys jackets, I could really see Steph Martin out there on Grand final day, prancing around.

That's hilarious, imagine that, the hard tough men would be wearing Smooths public schoolboys jackets, I could really see Steph Martin out there on Grand final day, prancing around.

who do you support Bluey?

Paid up for 2013?

Like the 4 old Xav's playing for Sydney, not to forget the St Kev's Norm Smith medalist hey Blue?

Oh woe is us.

Without exception.

First off, I never said it was the only reason or that if MFC had extra cap room we would be the greatest ever. And yes 'woe is us' it sucks to be a dees supporter, particularly as yesterday I watched the game with my swan supporting mates and saw them get, for the second time in 7 years something I have waited my entire life for. I envy them too.

Obviously salary cap room isn't the reason the swans tackle ferociously, or play hard, well drilled footy where all members of the team have an equal role to play. However it is the reason they have no problem keeping required players and it also allows them to take a punt on NQR players from other clubs without having as much concern for cap space. Damien Hardwick said recently in Richmonds fundraiser that without money a football club may as well pack up and quit. If this is the case surely having a million extra to give your players makes a hell of a difference, also I don't think my argument is weakened by the fact that both Brisbane and Sydney have won flags while being afforded this advantage.

Its not the only reason, they are a great, well coached team that deserved a flag. It can be beaten (see Geelong and co.). And it won't change (Sydney must survive and must not bottom out for the good of the AFL). But it is worth pointing out and considering.