Brad Green 250 AFL Games

DEELIGHTED

Agree. He has been a great Demon and for his sake should go out playing in the seniors not at Casey. A position as Casey captain for a year or two would assist the younger players if Brad was amenable. Congratulations on a great AFL career whenever it ends.

an interesting idea there Red. :)

I take it the last statement is a reflection of your earlier statement. Glad you put best in "..".

Best was in quotation marks because it was a direct quote from you. Green injured and with poor delivery is borderline, but at his "best" (which is what you were judging it on) is he still one of our best players currently.

You could lose your house. I think Green sees the writing on the wall even if supporters dont. I dont Junior is a proxy for Green. We lost Junior's leadership when he "retired". Green has already been demoted from the leadership group.

RR, I'm not sure if supporters believe he should go on, it's more about can he go on (for me it is anyway). We all know the writing is potentially on the wall, it's just that you think he should be the first at seasons end to be given his marching orders, where others are saying that there's probably 5 or 6 that would be ahead of him (ability-wise).

If the coach is planning on wiping out 10-12 players from the list, Green will be one of them. If they only want to move 5 or 6 on, I'm not as sure. Petterd is a must, Bate and Dunn have to be too. Spencer has to be close (I don't understand your logic in suggesting Martin - one of not many players to show improvement over the past 2 seasons). Bennell would have to be doubtful for a spot on our list in 2013. there's 5 that I'd be wiping well before I looked at Green. We could still trade for an established mid with one of our compo picks (let's say our 2nd compo pick, 12ish), we still have picks 3, 4, Viney, a 3rd round draft pick and the player that we traded for. I would keep Magner and Couch on the rookie list - any talk of elevating them this year is totally premature.

The problem is that its takes Davey two weeks to accumulate 10 kicks.

And in the same period McKenzie will make 16 tackles and 20 contests and Davey will make barely one.

There is a reason why no one will trade for Davey. Bail can leave at year end.

And we will lose by 10+ goals

Mckenzie is a good defensive mid field player with ordinary skills.

He will never be a good attacking player.

He cannot hit targets for god sake.

That does not mean he won't be useful.

But a very good mid fielder he will never be.

I am not saying Davey will be wonderful in 2013 but he will be with the MFC.

And as such he can contribute.

I would keep Magner and Couch on the rookie list - any talk of elevating them this year is totally premature.

Whats the rules for Nicho and Evans? Can we extend on the Rookie list or do we have to make a call to elevate these guys (given it has been 2 years)....? If so that means we need to make space for them on the main list.

Edited by Oucher

I'm going to take this chance to reflect on my favourite Green moment, given the occasion.

Melbourne vs. Hawthorn - 2003. We almost blew it in the final quarter. The Hawks slammed on six goals straight and levelled the scores with 3 minutes left. Junior fell awkwardly on his head on the wing; Robbo thought he was dead. The incident chewed up time and stopped all momentum against us.

Green ended up with a long-distance set shot and began his run-up hugging the fence on the wing. He slotted it, as cool as you'd like.

It might be indulgent, but I believe Green had, in his prime, the straightest kick in the game.

• Like 3

I'm going to take this chance to reflect on my favourite Green moment, given the occasion.

Melbourne vs. Hawthorn - 2003. We almost blew it in the final quarter. The Hawks slammed on six goals straight and levelled the scores with 3 minutes left. Junior fell awkwardly on his head on the wing; Robbo thought he was dead. The incident chewed up time and stopped all momentum against us.

Green ended up with a long-distance set shot and began his run-up hugging the fence on the wing. He slotted it, as cool as you'd like.

It might be indulgent, but I believe Green had, in his prime, the straightest kick in the game.

No it is not

He certainly had the straightest kick at the Dees in the last ten years that is for sure

• Like 1

No it is not

He certainly had the straightest kick at the Dees in the last ten years that is for sure

the sad thing is....he probably still does !!! :unsure::o

Best was in quotation marks because it was a direct quote from you. Green injured and with poor delivery is borderline, but at his "best" (which is what you were judging it on) is he still one of our best players currently.

It didnt need to be as your use implied a qualified position and used to illustrate your position on Green. He isnt one of our best player currently. Its a different position to 2 years ago where he was in our top 4 or 5. Such is the level of his demise. I am glad he got his 250. He deserved it. He should retire from AFL.

RR, I'm not sure if supporters believe he should go on, it's more about can he go on (for me it is anyway). We all know the writing is potentially on the wall, it's just that you think he should be the first at seasons end to be given his marching orders, where others are saying that there's probably 5 or 6 that would be ahead of him (ability-wise).

If the coach is planning on wiping out 10-12 players from the list, Green will be one of them. If they only want to move 5 or 6 on, I'm not as sure. Petterd is a must, Bate and Dunn have to be too. Spencer has to be close (I don't understand your logic in suggesting Martin - one of not many players to show improvement over the past 2 seasons). Bennell would have to be doubtful for a spot on our list in 2013. there's 5 that I'd be wiping well before I looked at Green. We could still trade for an established mid with one of our compo picks (let's say our 2nd compo pick, 12ish), we still have picks 3, 4, Viney, a 3rd round draft pick and the player that we traded for. I would keep Magner and Couch on the rookie list - any talk of elevating them this year is totally premature.

Billy, you are not going well at all. Where have I said he should be the first to be given his marching orders. All I said was that he wont be 10th or 1tth, I listed my delists not in preference but I have Green as a retirement not the first go.

If they only want to move 5 to 6 players then there should be a 7th departure...,,,,,Mark Neeld should be quick to exit with them. The list needs a big overhaul. This is the year to do it.

Martin is a potential trade if the Club decide to stick with Gawn and Spencer. I believe Jamar and Martin are fighting for the same spot. I am not convinced Martin is a good enough mark and can play either end of the ground. He can only ruck and I think he is only serviceable there.

I agree with you about not elevating Magner or Couch. I struggle to see why you would keep both. Possibly Magner

And we will lose by 10+ goals

Mckenzie is a good defensive mid field player with ordinary skills.

He will never be a good attacking player.

He cannot hit targets for god sake.

That does not mean he won't be useful.

But a very good mid fielder he will never be.

I am not saying Davey will be wonderful in 2013 but he will be with the MFC.

And as such he can contribute.

And if we lose by 10 goals its not McKenzie's fault. You need players like McKenzie in the mix. You dont need apathetic lightweight front runners (who cant run fast anymore) who cant contest and require the easy dish to hit cute passes. He does not win his own ball enough. And for a perennial wrist slashing whinger on this site I cant see how you want Davey as a keepsafe.

And its ironical that you believe he can contribute after he has done nothing over the past 2 years one as a leader of the team and has possibly contributed in some way to the racial vilification of the team coach in the off season. His onfield immaturity body language and behaviour at times is even more negative than yours on this site.

He is contracted next year but I would be happy for MFC to "rookie" him like they did Newton and Meesen.

No it is not

At times he was indeed a stylish and beautiful kick for goals but its been a variable attribute over the course of his career.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/B/Brad_Green.html

It didnt need to be as your use implied a qualified position and used to illustrate your position on Green. He isnt one of our best player currently. Its a different position to 2 years ago where he was in our top 4 or 5. Such is the level of his demise. I am glad he got his 250. He deserved it. He should retire from AFL.

Billy, you are not going well at all. Where have I said he should be the first to be given his marching orders. All I said was that he wont be 10th or 1tth, I listed my delists not in preference but I have Green as a retirement not the first go.

If they only want to move 5 to 6 players then there should be a 7th departure...,,,,,Mark Neeld should be quick to exit with them. The list needs a big overhaul. This is the year to do it.

Martin is a potential trade if the Club decide to stick with Gawn and Spencer. I believe Jamar and Martin are fighting for the same spot. I am not convinced Martin is a good enough mark and can play either end of the ground. He can only ruck and I think he is only serviceable there.

I agree with you about not elevating Magner or Couch. I struggle to see why you would keep both. Possibly Magner

And if we lose by 10 goals its not McKenzie's fault. You need players like McKenzie in the mix. You dont need apathetic lightweight front runners (who cant run fast anymore) who cant contest and require the easy dish to hit cute passes. He does not win his own ball enough. And for a perennial wrist slashing whinger on this site I cant see how you want Davey as a keepsafe.

And its ironical that you believe he can contribute after he has done nothing over the past 2 years one as a leader of the team and has possibly contributed in some way to the racial vilification of the team coach in the off season. His onfield immaturity body language and behaviour at times is even more negative than yours on this site.

He is contracted next year but I would be happy for MFC to "rookie" him like they did Newton and Meesen.

So you don't like him then?

Edited by old dee

So you don't like him then?

I dont rate what I described. I dont think Neeld rates it either.

Yes it has varied but name me some one at the dees in the last ten years that has been a better kick?

Off the top of my head.......

Adem Yze - One of the best kicks of football I have seen when on song.

Travis Johnston - Ability to hit targets obtusely under pressure in traffic was top class. Didn't happen enough

At times he was indeed a stylish and beautiful kick for goals but its been a variable attribute over the course of his career.

http://stats.rleague...Brad_Green.html

FFS RR, this is meant to be a thread celebrating 250 games of a fantastic player for our club yet you insist on finding ways to bag him out.

Plenty of other threads to player bash if you want to beat your chest.

• Like 1

I havent Stuie. I have been an arch defender of Green and his contribution to the Club over his long career on this site and on this thread. I also believe it time to call it quits for a player. Nothing worse than players not knowing when to call the curtains on their wonderful careers to football. Yze Robbo and White tried to go on when they were finished and he looked terrible when they either languish in the VFL or unloved in the PSD. Green has the opportunity to go out in style. He has already contemplated that publicly.

And from the words you have quoted I have complemented Green on his kicking but shown some evidence that it was variable on the score board. Find it distressing then look away Stuie. ....and take another deep breath. :)

No it is not

I used to say that if i wanted someone kicking for my life it would be Brad Green

http://stats.rleague...Brad_Green.html

These stats dont mean a great deal as it does not take into any consideration where and how the kicks for goal were taken.

Apart from the last couple of seasons where his reliability on gettable shots for goal have diminished he would be the best set shot at goal I have seen at Melbourne in a decade.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it have been fantastic to be farewelling Green, Bruce and Captain McDonald all together at the end of this year. Who knows what may have happened if the latter two had remained. Perhaps our development issues wouldn't have been so pronounced and Dean Bailey may even have still been here. Regardless, to see McDonald at GWS, Green besmirched by the failed one-year captaincy gig and Bruce rotting at Box Hill is a very sad sight when you imagine what a great send-off they could have received.

These stats dont mean a great deal as it does not take into any consideration where and how the kicks for goal were taken.

Apart from the last couple of seasons where his reliability on gettable shots for goal have diminished he would be the best set shot at goal I have seen at Melbourne in a decade.

When you remember that Green's speciality was to be a lead and mark player with the set shot, it is least indicative of the output. It varied over the course of his career. At times he did seem to miss alot of "gettable goals" from 40 to 50 mtrs out within 45deg of centre. His efforts in the 2000 finals were outstanding and set a high expectation and a perception about his accuracy which was slightly glossed

I am not sure what you base your opinions on.

Wouldn't it have been fantastic to be farewelling Green, Bruce and Captain McDonald all together at the end of this year. Who knows what may have happened if the latter two had remained. Perhaps our development issues wouldn't have been so pronounced and Dean Bailey may even have still been here. Regardless, to see McDonald at GWS, Green besmirched by the failed one-year captaincy gig and Bruce rotting at Box Hill is a very sad sight when you imagine what a great send-off they could have received.

I dont think Junior would have got more than one year at MFC. And i think one year would have been the max for Bruce as well.

Green deserves a great send off from MFC this year for all that he has achieved.