The weekly cycle of Demonland under Neeld:

Game Time: Insipid performance by the team with no apparent purpose or modern game plan and no sign of hope.

Post Match: Demonlanders who actually watch the game question how a team that won 8 games last year can become a 10 goal worse side so quickly after spending an inordinate amount of money on new coaches.

Monday to Thursday: Neeld evangelists shoot down anyone who dares question the direction the club is taking, sprooking buzz words like ‘culture’, ‘186’ and ‘deadwood’ and expressing unwavering confidence in the coach.

Thursday: Team selection and our team doesn’t look so bad on paper and we cling to a small chance of winning.

FT, without doubt, the worst team that's taken the field this year - just another practice match, Neeld giving a few borderline players a chance to turn it around.

There's going to be some massive culling at the end of the year.

Can anyone pls explain why Strauss was subbed on and then stuck in a back pocket?

1 kick 1 hb 1 tackle.

In a game of attrition his freshness might have assisted us somewhere near the midfield..

One small example but our coaches have a lot to answer for.

• Like 1

There is no agenda 'Big Red'. If players were selected highly in the draft presumably they had football talent which could be developed in whatever suitable manner. I'm not taking my views anywhere else - I want MFC to succeed - I'm wondering what you want and who you are protecting?

I am not protecting anyone. I accept that the list is seriously low on midfield talent and our players do not have the stamina or the instinct to spread both ways. I am not sold on Neeld but I dont understand how I can possibly rate him until he has the time to rectify our midfield, general conditioning and culture. I would think based on your football knowledge you recognise that this cannot be achieved in one summer when youre coming from as far back as we are. And anyone that doesn't think we're coming from a long way back should just watch 186 again if they need to be reminded.

• Like 2

Can anyone pls explain why Strauss was subbed on and then stuck in a back pocket?

1 kick 1 hb 1 tackle.

In a game of attrition his freshness might have assisted us somewhere near the midfield..

One small example but our coaches have a lot to answer for.

I'd say it's because he doesn't have the fitness base to run around in the middle, especially in these conditions, and they wouldn't want to aggravate the 'hot spot' in the leg.

So I suppose the real question is, why the hell was he the sub?

You have to support your view, using quotes from classic movies won't do it. Perhaps if you looked at all areas you might find the answer.

But your persistent tone that stinks of an agenda tells me you won't.

I don't have to do anything - views expressed on these sites are merely opinions (unless, of course, someone is privy to confidential information which I would not expect them to release) - I have my views on the strengths and weaknesses in our list, but I repeat 'I have no agenda'. I want MFC to succeed and I firmly believe their current path is fundamentally flawed.

Accountability. Player and coach apologists, don't even set foot in here.

Ther bloody pathetic and l;m sick of watching

I am not protecting anyone. I accept that the list is seriously low on midfield talent and our players do not have the stamina or the instinct to spread both ways. I am not sold on Neeld but I dont understand how I can possibly rate him until he has the time to rectify our midfield, general conditioning and culture. I would think based on your football knowledge you recognise that this cannot be achieved in one summer when youre coming from as far back as we are. And anyone that doesn't think we're coming from a long way back should just watch 186 again if they need to be reminded.

There is no doubt that Neeld needs and deserves to be given the time to develop the side.

My fear is that he'll recruit and develop players to suit his own game plan, which thus far has given us 1 real victory of note.

And then what happens if he gets the sack, do we rebuild again to suit the next coach who won't budge and isn't capable of working with what he's been given?

In my opinion the list is not all doom and gloom. The spine is solid, and our defense has been a strength until Neeld ripped it apart to try and bulk up the forwardline (and then threw Dunn into the mix, for god knows what reason!).

Our midfield is garbage, always has been, and it's not so much the ability to get our hands on the contested ball which kills us, but our ability to use the ball when we do get it. Which is why it frustrates me that Morton and Gysberts are rotting in the VFL, because for all of their faults, they can get and use the ball intelligently.

The bottom line is, a midfield can be built and developed quickly, certainly quicker than a defense or a forwardline, but even with all the right players, if a coach is not using the right tactics at the right time, you simply won't win. Right now I'd argue that we've played some equally average teams and lost to them all (nobody cares about beating GWS), and lost comprehensively, when better match day tactics and selection decisions may have got us over the line.

P.S.- Jake Spencer bashing is the lowest form of footy discussion.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1

Please tell me what Jake Spencer did tonight? Except for being tall?

68 dreamteam points.

A better average than Kreuzer.

• Like 2

Tom Couch gets to play his first game in a true Melbourne performance. What a putrid effort. I can't fathom how an AFL side can perform like that. Given the quality of the opposition, it feels like the worst performance of the year.

Absolutely no conviction or creativity moving the ball forward. Horrible decisions in our back half and an inexplicably barren forwardline for which Neeld has to provide answers. In fact he has to provide answers for a fair bit more than that as most of our players looks to have their confidence absolutely shot to pieces. If he focuses on the higher tackle count or the higher numnber of inside 50s I'm gonna put my fist through something. We were playing a third of Port Adelaide ffs. Even with our outs, that sort of display is not excusable.

The worst part was the commentators didn't seem all that surprised by the level of performance. It is now expected that Melbourne will be horrendous.

To be where we are after 6 years of rebuilding is [censored] outrageous and the numbness I feel week after week has reverted to anger and wondering if I've had enough of following this garbage club.

all commentators are hardly commenting anymore because there's nothing more to say. If they don't get rid of about 10-12 players at the end of the year they're gonna lose a lot of members. We'll be lucky to get 30,000 members as it is, bloody worst Melbourne team l've ever seen in 40 years of going.

Lets put everything aside, history, recruiting, past coaching indiscretions, and concentrate on one very simple stat.

In the first quarter tonight, we kicked a bigger score than we kicked for the remaining 3 quarters. Despite Port activating their sub in the first quarter, and having another very sick player on the ground.

Last week we lost because we apparently ran out of legs. This week, we've been apparently preparing for this climate and had full use of our bench for the whole match, so what's this week's excuse?

I fully understand that our list has some holes. Our midfield is horrible, yet players like Magner and Couch, who we all know will never been A graders, are getting a game ahead of Gysberts and Morton. If Neeld wants tough in and under players like Magner and Couch, he should understand that he also needs very good outside support because these guys are rubbish users of the ball. Yet both of these guys were used in attacking roles for the last few weeks. Why?

Garland has had a good month up forward, and Rivers is an absolute leader of troops down back. Yet Garland was kept in the backline until the last 10 minutes of the match, despite having a dirty game defensively, and Rivers was never switched back to help. Why?

Neeld persists with Dunn down back, who lacks strength and accountability, but who is a beautiful kick at goal, and yet we can't kick to save ourselves. Why?

Nothing is ever so black and white that we can categorically say "problem X is the absolute core of our issues". But a senior coach who cannot react mid games, a senior coach who cannot motivate his players to push past their opponents even from very winnable positions, and a senior coach who seemingly won't budge on tactics, is a senior coach who deserves to be questioned.

If you just blindly follow what is put in front of you, then you have nobody but yourself to blame for the disappointment that may come your way.

If you read your post back, you may realise that you have the answers, & have really answered your own questions... Go to the head of the cue.

Our weakness, & our drafting mistakes have been in our running & ball carrying players. We have to address this this year.

Most clubs are chasing the very same player types. They're in Hot Deemand.

And the wheels on the bus go round and round

bit like here really :unsure:

• Like 1

Bash Martin? I have an opinion on a player and I'm 'bashing' him?

I don't carry on, I move on. Have a look what's happening on the field.

I have never seen a Stef Martin related post/topic, where you haven't been quick to point out that he's useless and that bringing him back into the team is going backwards.

And the last time I've had a look at what's happening on the field, I haven't noticed our ruckman being the cause of our problems.

This playing list was rated very highly (for a young list) before Neeld arrived - playing lists do NOT change dramatically in one year at any club.

Neeld and co. out, and advertise and recruit replacements.

As you said it... playing lists do NOT change dramatically... so either everyone was wrong and our list wasn't as good as everyone thought or the coach has actually made things worse. If we look at the development of players like jones, mcdonald, grimes, watts, nicholson, to some degree howe are you saying that our coaching panel has turned us backwards?

Honestly if you run through our list i rekon it was really over rated. Theres other threads looking at our list and the players haven't changed but we still have negative things to say about half of them which was still true last year.

We really needed a new coach and defensive structures to allow our team to develop and progress. It was hard watching today's game but hopefully after another full preseason, continued learning and development and hopefully recruiting some players with football smarts we can move forward.

• Like 3

I have never seen a Stef Martin related post/topic, where you haven't been quick to point out that he's useless and that bringing him back into the team is going backwards.

And the last time I've had a look at what's happening on the field, I haven't noticed our ruckman being the cause of our problems.

Yep - our ruck men are a problem too - not enough presence, power, strength or aggression.

When Clark went in the ruck a couple of times this year (f#ck I miss him!) things happened. Blocking, thumping the ball, a clearance or two.

Stef's not up to it and Jake's a shocker.

• Like 2

There is no doubt that Neeld needs and deserves to be given the time to develop the side.

My fear is that he'll recruit and develop players to suit his own game plan, which thus far has given us 1 real victory of note.

And then what happens if he gets the sack, do we rebuild again to suit the next coach who won't budge and isn't capable of working with what he's been given?

In my opinion the list is not all doom and gloom. The spine is solid, and our defense has been a strength until Neeld ripped it apart to try and bulk up the forwardline (and then threw Dunn into the mix, for god knows what reason!).

Our midfield is garbage, always has been, and it's not so much the ability to get our hands on the contested ball which kills us, but our ability to use the ball when we do get it. Which is why it frustrates me that Morton and Gysberts are rotting in the VFL, because for all of their faults, they can get and use the ball intelligently.

The bottom line is, a midfield can be built and developed quickly, certainly quicker than a defense or a forwardline, but even with all the right players, if a coach is not using the right tactics at the right time, you simply won't win. Right now I'd argue that we've played some equally average teams and lost to them all (nobody cares about beating GWS), and lost comprehensively, when better match day tactics and selection decisions may have got us over the line.

P.S.- Jake Spencer bashing is the lowest form of footy discussion.

I have no issue with Neeld recruiting and developing a team to play the way he thinks will bring success. That is why I accept that I need to see what changes he makes after an initial year of assessment. I too would like to see Morton and Gysberts played ahead of Magner and Couch but Morton has had his opportunities and to bring back Gysberts who is renowned for low stamina for a first game on ball at the top end would not make much sense. I hope we see more of them over the remainder of the year.

I agree that we have lost to some average team but none have as average a midfield as ours and until we bridge that gap with other sides we will continue to lose.

• Like 1