rpfc

I thought this deserved its own thread as we have all mentioned this in various threads. With Nasher, HG, and BB I think all pointing it out.

Our forward line is dysfunctional.

Now there are reasons for that - Clark is an enormous loss, Davey helped when the ball was on the ground of late, Green is more than handy when in form, Jurrah has had more issues than the Catholic Church of late, and Watts as a forward is a terrific backman...

But...

We still need to have less idiots in there ruining things. Rivers, Garland, Howe, and Sylvia can form an effective forward line but they and the peripheral players Magner, Bate, Dunn, and all the mids running through do simple things that want me to pull out my thick hair...

1. Running to the same spot in the forward line.

This is as stupid as you can get at this level. The 'watch ball, get ball' ethos of this team would be just charming in its naivete, if it wasn't the reason we are where we are. When you see someone run into the contest of another it means one of two things; they don't know what they are doing, or they don't trust their teammate to win that contest. The player with trust issues then goes in, or up, and the other team - with players in and out of the contest takes the ball away.

2. Part time forwards and mids clogging up space in the forward line.

This is self-explanatory. Mids in the forward line are like relatives visiting. They come in screaming for attention, stay too long, and rarely know what to do with it when they get it. Mids in my forward line push hard to get to the feet of the big blokes but are not allowed inside before that and are promptly kicked out after.

3. It is so difficult to teach people to be an effective forward.

It is hard... And Rivers is back to earth, Garland is about knee deep in the ground. Magner has been asked to do a job there, and so has Moloney, but if you are useless going forward it makes it very easy to defend you and push forward. This is a reason for 1 and 2 to an extent but Leigh Brown will earn his wage for the next few months - he has got to get us to kick more than 8 goals from 54 Inside 50s. Otherwise we won't get the modest win tally I was hoping for from here on in.

• Like 1

If you look at yesterday's forward line - Not one of them is a genuine forward.

Rivers, Garland, Magner, Howe, Tapscott, Sylvia, Martin. Players who were previously forwards in Bate, Dunn & Watts played elsewhere.

I think it comes back to poor drafting.

I was going to start a new thread but this fits in the thread perfectly. As would this player in our forward line.

I believe Trent West is a forward playing as a ruckman - just as Mitch Clark was at Brisbane.

IMO he would compliment Clark better than Cloke and probably around half the price too. Also the perfect age profile for us.

Your last point is the most pertinent rpfc. Leigh Brown/ Paul Satterley will have to earn their wage. It doesn't matter how dumb they are, coaching the right structures in the absence of Clark will be the point of contention. Getting the players to implement will be the sticking point. I'm not exactly jumping out of my skin regarding quality finishing, but I feel in terms of most comfortable up forward for the time being is Colin Garland in positioning himself when they go deep. If he's not marking it he is making a contest and bringing it to ground.

If you look at yesterday's forward line - Not one of them is a genuine forward.

Rivers, Garland, Magner, Howe, Tapscott, Sylvia, Martin. Players who were previously forwards in Bate, Dunn & Watts played elsewhere.

I think it comes back to poor drafting.

I think it comes back to injuries, and poor development.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.