How do you solve a problem like Moloney?

Jesse Christ

FWIW I'm very bored today so I have gathered some more stats for you - make of it whats you will. I have taken his stats since 2009 as he was injured a fair bit before that.

Im in no way sticking up for him or against him but he's obviously playing a slightly different role although still spending majority of his time in the midfield. I guess the most interesting stat for me is he has only played 67% gametime this year, down 17% on his good year in 2011 where he was on the ground 84%. Taking that into account maybe his stats arent as bad as what people reckon. 17% gametime is roughly 17 minutes of footy.

Brent Moloney:

Time on ground %

2009 Disposals: 512 Ave. 24.4 Disposal efficiency 77% Clear.Ave 4.3 Time on ground % 78%

2010 Disposals: 427 Ave 23.7 Disposal efficiency 70% Clear.Ave 5.2 Time on ground % 78%

2011 Disposals: 509 Ave 23.1 Disposal efficiency 73% Clear Ave 7.0 Time on ground % 84%

2012 Disposals 171 Ave 17.1 Disposal efficiency 70% Clear Ave 5.8 Time on ground % 67%

edit: Format - help?

Edited by Hells Gates

Moloney out

Beams in

We need the money to attract high calibre mids.

• Like 1

FWIW I'm very bored today so I have gathered some more stats for you - make of it whats you will.

No doubt the Beamer haters will claim that stats don't tell the true story, then run off to the Morton thread to dig up stats about how well he's going...

Seems you're either a Morton or Moloney man around 'Land

• Like 1

No doubt the Beamer haters will claim that stats don't tell the true story, then run off to the Morton thread to dig up stats about how well he's going...

Seems you're either a Morton or Moloney man around 'Land

Watts

• Like 1

There's been big changes at MFC and Moloney deserves the opportunity to adapt - at least the entire season. None of us know what the FD is asking him to do and whether he's delivering on that. I'll take his continuing selection as an indicator that they think he's making progress.

• Like 4

Time for Moloney to play the role of sub for a couple of weeks. If he can't have an impact in that job, maybe it's time for a stint with Casey. Let him beat up on some lesser talent and regain some of his touch. The boy can play; I'd hate to see him written of just yet.

• Like 1

Junior and Moloney are apples and oranges. Junior was still playing good footy up to the point of his delisting. He was dropped because they felt that he wouldn't be part of the next premiership team and was standing in the way of another youngster. Moloney is playing very ordinary football at the moment.

Not quite true. Junior missed around 6-7 weeks with hamstring injuries in his final year and the concern was he wouldn't be able to see out a whole new year I believe.

• Like 1

I think Maloney will get another contract. Mark Neeld rates him highly and considers him one of the best stoppage players in the game. I think he was really disappointed to be dropped from the leadership group and he has been one guy who might have struggled with all the changes being made at the club (just my opinion). Neeld makes the point about players needing to put in off the field as well as on it and I don't think anyone will be keeping their spot on the list if they don't do that. I think that Beamer has turned a corner and the penny has dropped for him. We need to retain him, he's a hard body and an experienced head if nothing else, and we don't have many of those.

I reckon you've nailed it Deemon. He is playing with no confidence.

His position in the leadership group has changed, his role in the midfield has lessened and he is playing as a HFF where he has probably never been asked to play.

If he gets it together I can see him slotting goals from 50m and clearing a path in congestion for others. He could be valuable with his strength and experience. That's perhaps why Neeld is giving him lots of time

I have no idea if he will adapt but if he does there is significant upside

I think most here have been fairly harsh on Brent

Not quite true. Junior missed around 6-7 weeks with hamstring injuries in his final year and the concern was he wouldn't be able to see out a whole new year I believe.

Oh, was he injured for that long, or was he actually held out of the team under the excuse of injury, after he recuperated?

I have read most of the rubbish written on here.

He is playing a new role. Have a look at the tape of the pies game he was very good. Beamer is playing on the HFF due to lack of leg speed and teams exposing him on the rebound. It will take time to adjust. His disposal is very good still and can still win clearances.

new contract will get done soon

• Like 1

plenty of players will leave this club at the end of the season. There will be several delistings. Those gentlemen can try their hand in the PSD or Rookie Draft and we wish them well.

Prior to that all of those guys, and about 10 more, will be on the trade table. We will be open to moving any of these guys on. Some we'll be happy to trade for a ham sandwich, others only on the table if there's something unique coming in return (see pick 4, B McLean + change for C Judd, Sept 2007).

Other than the auto delistings, those guys on the table who aren't traded will be offered new deals. Otherwise we'd be left with 35 kids, Jamar, Green and Rivers.

Moloney will most certainly be on the table. Hell we nearly traded him last year coming off a B&F. Frankly his heart on sleeve, love the club crap is outweighed by his penchant for going out dressed like a Milanese catwalk [censored] and dragging along young guys with him. Not to mention his form, which reminds me of how Dean Jones came to average 45 for Australia: 89 one dig, 1 the next. continuously.

Frankly his heart on sleeve, love the club crap is outweighed by his penchant for going out dressed like a Milanese catwalk [censored] and dragging along young guys with him. Not to mention his form, which reminds me of how Dean Jones came to average 45 for Australia: 89 one dig, 1 the next. continuously.

Good post up until this rubbish.

• Like 1

He doesn't play in the midfield as much of late so this is unfair. So Jamar's 'dominance' isn't being exploited by Jones, Trengove, and Grimes, not just Moloney.

I'm glad you put Jamar's 'dominance' in quotes as I think in this case the stats lie and the Russ is having a very ordinary year just racking up useless stats tapping the ball onto his bootlaces.

A number of times on Sunday he had a clear hit at the ball where he could have hit it hard towards goal for his mids to run onto it and he just palmed it backwards and downwards into the scrum.

I'm glad you put Jamar's 'dominance' in quotes as I think in this case the stats lie and the Russ is having a very ordinary year just racking up useless stats tapping the ball onto his bootlaces.

A number of times on Sunday he had a clear hit at the ball where he could have hit it hard towards goal for his mids to run onto it and he just palmed it backwards and downwards into the scrum.

Seems to be getting very few touches as well, taps it to on one then disappears til the next bounce... Heard a few bronx cheers go up when he got a kick on Sunday...

Funny how no one complained about him getting re-signed but there's the usual Beamer bashing thread

Seems to be getting very few touches as well, taps it to on one then disappears til the next bounce... Heard a few bronx cheers go up when he got a kick on Sunday...

Funny how no one complained about him getting re-signed but there's the usual Beamer bashing thread

A few people complained.

I would have loved him as captain this year- I think it would've extended his career at MFC somewhat, however, the young blokes are now the leaders and, unfortunately, it's time for the old blokes, who can no longer keep up, to move on. I have tons of respect for Beamer, Green and Davey et al, they've busted their balls for us but I think the best they can now hope for is to finish their days this year proudly, or fade away after a season at GWS or Suns. That's the reality. Sorry.

That's the reality. Sorry.

Actually, the reality is these younger blokes need older blokes around, so if you want to get rid of Moloney, Green, Davey etc, what will happen when guys like Viney, Grimes, Trengove, Gysberts etc struggle with their inexperience in games and training, injuries, form... It's been shown how important a mix of age is, and it's been a big focus of Neeld's to get more of that mix, so you may want to tell him how it would be better to get rid of everyone over 26 because in "reality" that's how it is.

Actually, the reality is these younger blokes need older blokes around, so if you want to get rid of Moloney, Green, Davey etc, what will happen when guys like Viney, Grimes, Trengove, Gysberts etc struggle with their inexperience in games and training, injuries, form... It's been shown how important a mix of age is, and it's been a big focus of Neeld's to get more of that mix, so you may want to tell him how it would be better to get rid of everyone over 26 because in "reality" that's how it is.

So you'd be quite happy to use valuable places in the side to carry these fading players. Face reality. They've been absolutely fantastic for us and deserve to be elevated to legend status, but careers come to an end eventually and these blokes have to face up to this fact. We are not an employment charity but a professional football club and we can't afford the luxury of paying people for their past glories in the hope that it may rub off on the new generation, who incidentally, I believe will bring us a flag. It's unfortunate but that's the sad reality Stu.

Guest José Mourinho

No, the reality is they DID, but during that time these "much-needed" senior players went missing.

The kids are now on the verge of being ready to take over of their own accord, and that can only be a good thing, as we can now weed out the passengers.

Moloney is front of the que.

• Like 1

So you'd be quite happy to use valuable places in the side to carry these fading players. Face reality. They've been absolutely fantastic for us and deserve to be elevated to legend status, but careers come to an end eventually and these blokes have to face up to this fact. We are not an employment charity but a professional football club and we can't afford the luxury of paying people for their past glories in the hope that it may rub off on the new generation, who incidentally, I believe will bring us a flag. It's unfortunate but that's the sad reality Stu.

Neeld made it clear in his words and his actions before the season that we needed more of a mix of age so that the young blokes were able to grow and improve correctly, I don't think he's going to go the totally opposite direction this offseason and get rid of all the "older" players purely because of age.

In fact, if you go by what our coaching and recruiting staff have said recently, we'll be adding MORE experienced bodies in the draft/trade period.

That doesn't mean they're all safe, but there's 0 chance of the "oldies cull" you seem to think is necessary.

No, the reality is they DID, but during that time these "much-needed" senior players went missing.

The kids are now on the verge of being ready to take over of their own accord, and that can only be a good thing, as we can now weed out the passengers.

Moloney is front of the que.

Did they? You know that from what they've told you (along with the coaching staff) about training etc?

No, you don't know that.

And frankly, I'm SO SICK of you constantly bashing the same player over and over because you happen to dislike him for whatever reason.

So you reckon Trengove (struggling with captaincy so far), Viney (not even drafted yet), Grimes (first decent season without major injury), Gysberts (hasn't played this year), Watts (still building confidence), Cook & Davis (haven't played), are all totally ready to take over the team with NO help from senior bodies?

Very silly, even for an antagonist like you.