Jack Trengove on tonight's (Wednesday) Footy Show

wattsup

Everyone has seen over the past week and a half how intelligent and sensitive Garry Lyon is. The Footy Show does not do him justice. I turned off years ago and only watched last night to see Captain Jack.

That may be true but I have a personal story about Garry buying a building in Burwood and doubling the rent on a Music studio which forced them out immediately .He is still a legend to me but I'm sure he is capable of being a C..T

All great men have a certain duality .It comes with the territory.

I remember working on a commercial with him as a kid(on the G) when he was out with a back injury and saying to him something like"Garry-you should get involved with the media ,there's so much money in it" God I fell like a tool now for that comment .

Anyway ,he heeded the spritely sage advice .

Did anyone else notice that they found out about the jigsaw puzzles through Sam's mailbag and the letter came from a friend of Trenners and his name was Luke!

Would that be Luke Tapscott stitching up his mate on national TV!

Well done if it was him.

i reckon it was, had a good laugh at that

I firmly believe in the Footy Show curse, wherein anyone on the program inevitably plays poorly that weekend. Unfortunately Jack Trengove is the only player who will suffer from this curse this week.

Makes sense that most players would be mentally preparing to appear on the footy show which would take focus away from their game preparation, so they'd play worse.

Never heard such crap in my life .

I've enjoyed reading your posts, but with all due respect Biffen, will beg to differ with you here. Not just Jack, but if anyone is to give an ultimately virtuosic performance (probably in any field) their mind needs to be absolutely filled with abstractions about doing that performance. JT's mind needs to be on the field for days before, going over everything, not intensely chatting on tv about the general subject in question, ...therefor I agreed with Chook.

Surely as new very young co-captain, JT understandably spent a lot of preparation time focusing on representing the Dees well on the footy show, imagining what he'd be asked & how he'd respond etc..

This isn't the same as visualising kicking, marking, ball handling, making contact, game plan/team things, things to help him perform brilliantly on field without hesitation (the kind of things I imagine were constantly thought about in Norm Smiths home when Ron was growing up).

The past 45 years in my field of work I've also noticed how days, weeks, months of constant focused concentration on doing & visualising the performance, improves & refines it enormously. Therefor unfortunately I thought doing the footy show would reduce Jacks game at least a little.

On the other hand, hopefully I'm 100% wrong, he plays the game of his career anyway & annihilates the Lions of course ;) Cheers

I've played a lot of Cricket and I found that "overthinking" a game is just as detrimental to performance as over relaxing ,probably worse .What I saw of the TFS lead me to think Jack is relaxed and happy with his prepartion .Football really isn't that complex.If there is a curse I'm not aware of ,please provide examples .Having said that ,I hate the show and dont want him on it every week .The main reason for this is that there are power games going on between Norfs' pres ,Gary ,and other players etc and that they are tools .Marngrook is my preferred footy show .

Fair enough Biffen. Think I understand your points & also like your insights re. the tv shows. Nevertheless I wasn't referring to "overthinking" nor "over relaxing", I referred to replacing distractions with visualisations of what it takes to make a performance great. As you said, football & cricket aren't that complex, so maybe it doesn't matter as much there, though I heard of the odd champion runner/swimmer or something doing it & they're simpler sports. In the field I've been a full time performer in all my life, absolute focus is accepted as the way to virtuosity. Indeed I was transferring that to the analogous but less complex (as you said) field of football, while thinking the AFL is serious enough now that it may be more relevant than you think. ..or maybe not :- )

Fair enough Biffen. Think I understand your points & also like your insights re. the tv shows. Nevertheless I wasn't referring to "overthinking" nor "over relaxing", I referred to replacing distractions with visualisations of what it takes to make a performance great. As you said, football & cricket aren't that complex, so maybe it doesn't matter as much there, though I heard of the odd champion runner/swimmer or something doing it & they're simpler sports. In the field I've been a full time performer in all my life, absolute focus is accepted as the way to virtuosity. Indeed I was transferring that to the analogous but less complex (as you said) field of football, while thinking the AFL is serious enough now that it may be more relevant than you think. ..or maybe not :- )

I would hardly think that Capt jack would have been spending too much time visualising for a virtuoso performance on the Footy Show; I now leave you with a presentation on the dangers of mentioning Macbeth (something that could possibly be the cause of the Post FS performance syndrome?:

• Like 1

Great work! I loved Black Adder back in the day .Nice to see you sneak our major sponsor on the clip too .

No wuckens mate .I was just glad to see our Skip talk .

I wonder if I can get him to marry my daughter in 12 years time.

She'll be 26 ,he'll be 32 and nearing the end of his career.(dont want any major distractions till then)

He is such a lovable kid . :lol::blink::wub: (and I never use emoticons).