Colin Sylvia

H_T

Wellingham is a whippet compared to Col. But time after time he used his strength to push our players off the ball and get position. His marking and commitment was outstanding, Col should dream about being as consistently good a player

You're another that becomes so besotted by the moment that you lose all perspective and seemingly all of your memory power.

You say that Col should "dream about being as consistent as Wellingham". What an unintelligent comment. Last year Sylvia played 19 games to Wellingham's 20. Sylvia averaged more possessions, more marks, more tackles and more goals. The year before Sylvia only played 15 games, but he also averaged more possessions, more marks, more tackles and more goals. His player "ratings" were also substantially higher each year and higher than Wellingham's averages this year. Yet you talk of Wellingham's consistency ?

If you're going to make declarations can you try doing a little research and actually getting them right ?

Here's some light reading for you.

http://www.finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare.asp?SeasonID=2011&Compare=Go&PlayerName1=&PlayerName2=&PlayerName3=&PlayerName4=&SelectedPlayers=1391%2C1830%2C

http://www.finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare.asp?SeasonID=2010&Compare=Go&PlayerName1=c+sylvia&PlayerName2=s+wellingham&PlayerName3=&PlayerName4=&SelectedPlayers=

Btw, it's also easier playing in a gun team, but I suspect that nuance may also escape you.

• Like 2

i would keep him unless we could pack him into a deal for some gun kid. sylvia and our mid first round pick for steele sidebottom. offer that kid $600,000 a year if not more. and do a deal. pick 3, 11 and sylvia for beams and sidebottom. the pies would look twice at that deal

He's worth bubkus. Pick 50 and a set of ginsu knives maybe.

Collingwood wouldn't trade Sidebottom for the number 1 pick. What a player. Kid's the real deal.

Those who suggest keeping him unless...unless what really. We now all KNOW what we het from Sylvia.. its nto a whole lot. Its really time to cut lossses and just pack him off, free up a spot, get what we can , I mean it , whatever and move on.

So much thats written about our players' potential etc remindds me on a gambler looking to the next week to recoup his lossses. just need that one good game/win to get us going.

it never comes

Agree. If we're lucky some club will agree to pay half his salary for us for his final, contracted season.

It was a terrible list decision to extend his contract last year when when we could've milked something from Sydney for him.

Your gambling metaphor is apt BB. It's time to leave the Col Sylvia Roulette Wheel and call gambler's anonymous.

You're another that becomes so besotted by the moment that you lose all perspective and seemingly all of your memory power.

You say that Col should "dream about being as consistent as Wellingham". What an unintelligent comment. Last year Sylvia played 19 games to Wellingham's 20. Sylvia averaged more possessions, more marks, more tackles and more goals. The year before Sylvia only played 15 games, but he also averaged more possessions, more marks, more tackles and more goals. His player "ratings" were also substantially higher each year and higher than Wellingham's averages this year. Yet you talk of Wellingham's consistency ?

If you're going to make declarations can you try doing a little research and actually getting them right ?

Here's some light reading for you.

http://www.finalsire...yers=1391,1830,

http://www.finalsire...SelectedPlayers=

Btw, it's also easier playing in a gun team, but I suspect that nuance may also escape you.

Ah, the old selective stats. Didn't want to include 2012 hey BH? Oh yeah that would fit your argument would it. Game time. Probably not either?

I agree with you about playing in a good team. It's easier no doubt but Sylvia is in his what, 8th year? plays a lot of game time and has the occasional blinder but more than not a poor to average return. AS for effort, don't get me started. And if you really think he's a gem then it says all I need to know.

Col's mediocre and frustrating career aside.

What is about Col getting cleaned up by opposition players?!

Kennedy last year in a praccy match against West Coast. Butcher this year in a NAC Cup game against Port Adelaide, and now going off the ground yesterday with a bloody nose. Did anyone see the incident yesterday?

Is it a case at being in the wrong place at the wrong time or do opp players love hurting him than others?

Not fit, not defensive enough. Requires education. Defensive forward role is right for him at this time.

No point trading because we wouldn't get enough in return and is in contract next year.

Both fitness and defensive mindset can be obtained over the next 12 months at which time the difference between his best and worst game will be minimised and we'll reap significant benefits from his 2-3 blinders a year. Stick fat with Col a bit longer.

Ah, the old selective stats. Didn't want to include 2012 hey BH? Oh yeah that would fit your argument would it. Game time. Probably not either?

What ? Selective stats ?

First of all, it's painfully obvious that Sylvia is being taught to play defensively and is having a terrible year coming off a limited preseason and broken vertebrae in his back; and secondly I included stats of 35 of his last 41 games. And I also mentioned that Wellingham's stats of this year - his best, are inferior to Sylvia's previous two years.

Yet you say that Sylvia "should dream of Wellingham's consistency". I believe posters call it "getting owned". :o

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 1

Let's get rid of everyone. Morton's not going to get a game in 2013 (even though he's contracted) Sylvia is gone and so is Moloney. We'll go through next year being the youngest team in the comp and then at the end of 2013 we can clear out Clark and Frawley.

But seriously WTF is with Sylvia and Moloney. They put in against the Bombers and we win. Neither show up today and we struggle to stay in touch with the pies.

We can't trade them because Moloney is a free agent and Sylvia has no currency. How do we solve a problem like these two? I've no f'in idea!

sorry, but are you serious about clearing out clark and frawley?

sorry, but are you serious about clearing out clark and frawley?

I think the bolded text in the comment you were responding to might give you the answer:

We'll go through next year being the youngest team in the comp and then at the end of 2013 we can clear out Clark and Frawley.

But seriously WTF is with Sylvia and Moloney.

OT but did anybody see what happened behind the play with him in Q2 yesterday? He went down (HFF in front of the AFL members) & came off the ground with a blood nose (I suspect a cheap shot). Not defending his performance but interested if anyone saw what happened?

Yeah, Brown smacked him behind the play. He'll go for it.

i would keep him unless we could pack him into a deal for some gun kid. sylvia and our mid first round pick for steele sidebottom. offer that kid $600,000 a year if not more. and do a deal. pick 3, 11 and sylvia for beams and sidebottom. the pies would look twice at that deal

No thanks on Beams. Would take Sidebottom though. Gun. Absolute gun. He's playing in a good team though, so it's a little difficult to tell just how good he is.

Colin is playing a lock down role and being taught the defensive side of the game. When he learns this he will be let loose like he use to but with a defensive framer of mind.

When did he used to?

OT but did anybody see what happened behind the play with him in Q2 yesterday? He went down (HFF in front of the AFL members) & came off the ground with a blood nose (I suspect a cheap shot). Not defending his performance but interested if anyone saw what happened?

he got a bump 50 mteres off the ball whe he wasn't looking and copped a broken nose but dont expect any AFL involvement against the filth.

I agree with Jaded, Ben and others that he's being played in a defensive forward role to teach accountability and also because his limited pre-season restricts him in other roles. I don't agree with Jaded that he doesn't have attributes that Neeld values. He's an impact player that can make a difference with limited possessions, he has a solid body type and when fit he's very competitive in the air for his size, if these attributes can be harnessed then he has got significant value.

I'm willing to give him the entire season to get his head around what is required. Because he's coming off a badly interrupted pre-season he may not be able to execute all of his capability this year but the coaching staff will be able to tell if he can do what they require. If he doesn't get actively shopped for trade then I'll trust that they think they can get the best out of him.

We've made some big changes - players like Sylvia, Moloney, Davey who've played another way for a long time need to be given sufficient opportnity to adapt. Not all will.

I totally agree with this thread's sentiments. Col has been in the system six years and is still getting tanked before training and smashing cars. Before that he was hanging out with bikies before they went on murderous rampages (I guess that is a slight improvement?) I think just being alive and a fully functioning set of faculties should tell you that doing these things are not good for your career prospects.

Colin is playing a lock down role and being taught the defensive side of the game. When he learns this he will be let loose like he use to but with a defensive framer of mind.

So he will start tackling when? Last 10 minutes like yesterday Should have gone years ago.Has never looked like the real deasl never have i seen him put in 4 quarters

He represents all that has been wrong with the club. I will be happy when he goes

• Like 1

What I like about Neeld and his game plan is that it really exposes our soft underbelly. I'm starting to buy in. There's nowhere to hide for our players. Col is unlikely to make it as he's a frontrunner. But you never know. He could grasp the nettle and end up a Demon Paul Chapman!

He could grasp the nettle and end up a Demon Paul Chapman!

or not.
  • Like 1

Sylvia did 3/5 of f*** all until that one pack-burst in the final term.

Seriously, I don't know what's wrong with him but he can [censored] off.

Perhaps three broken vertebrae and a missed pre season might be what's wrong with him.

Perhaps three broken vertebrae and a missed pre season might be what's wrong with him.

Perhaps....you put your hand up and call yourself fit and up for selection , and are, and play, well you better bloody well play....or rack off....perhaps !!

Perhaps....you put your hand up and call yourself fit and up for selection , and are, and play, well you better bloody well play....or rack off....perhaps !!

And perhaps Belzebub, when you haven't got anyone better toplay you need players who are not quite fit because they still lack match fitness because they have missed through injury

And perhaps Belzebub, when you haven't got anyone better toplay you need players who are not quite fit because they still lack match fitness because they have missed through injury

Better...maybe not...needing experience and prepared to apply themselves adn put in..maybe.