Neeld pours heat on Demons

Surfer Rosa

If Neeld refuses to buckle, and doesnt play blokes who refuse to chase their opponent, dont go in hard, or simply squib it, what sort of trade do you think we will get for Jurrah at the end of the year?

I was at the essendon game this year, and a hard coach would not have played him in the seniors for the rest of the year. I was sickened by how gutless he was. Simply refuses to go body on body with anyone, regardless of size.

I would love to see him playing for Casey, after a single performance like that.

This is the sort of area where it gets difficult, i believe Neeld was quoted by one of the papers as saying " that the line i see myself taking" or something when discussing selection based on form. not committing 100% kinda

It is hard to drop your number 1 goal scorer.......or do you do it to complete his game, i know this is the idea of dropping a player

This is the sort of area where it gets difficult, i believe Neeld was quoted by one of the papers as saying " that the line i see myself taking" or something when discussing selection based on form. not committing 100% kinda

It is hard to drop your number 1 goal scorer.......or do you do it to complete his game, i know this is the idea of dropping a player

If LJ doesn't pull his weight for the team, he gets dropped..I don't think anyone will be upset..It certainly switched on Steve Johnson.

If LJ doesn't pull his weight for the team, he gets dropped..I don't think anyone will be upset..It certainly switched on Steve Johnson.

Thats the bit i cant see happening.

He NEVER pulls his weight for the team. Never, as in not ever.

If he is not kicking goals out of his arz, he is contributing absolutely nothing to the team cause apart from making the other team commit a decent defender to him. I am against having decoys in the forward line who do not apply defensive pressure.

I hope Neeld sees it the same way, as it needs to change.

If he is not kicking goals out of his arz, he is contributing absolutely nothing to the team cause apart from making the other team commit a decent defender to him. I am against having decoys in the forward line who do not apply defensive pressure.

I hope Neeld sees it the same way, as it needs to change.

It is good that there is 4 months of preseason. I think our list will all learn a lot. Have some faith in our new appointments.

I was more asking what pulling his weight may be, his role ect, he also had the 5th most score assist for our team this year...for those who said he does nothing but kick goals ect

We are all speculating at this stage, the game plan is in the top draw after all, the players have not seen it

In previous years Jurrah may or may not have had so much defensive responsibility, god knows alot of other aspects of our game plan and club have been less than desired

How long did our staff have to change Russell Robertson and Adam Yze?

Robbo refused to chase until the end, and Yze remained Morton like in his defensive pressure for his entire career also.

I know we have new coaches now, but the point I am trying to make is that leopards rarely do change their spots, regardless of how many brush strokes you might apply.

I am/was smitten with LJ and other similar players both now and in the past.......................but they will not get any games now if they do not have any consistent defensive efforts. This is how it simply must be.

Robbo would not get a game if he was a 26 yo now. No defensive pressure = no game.

Our plan will be, if your opponent has the cherry then pressure the B-jeezus out of him till he coughs it up. Then have the skills developed to the point where 9 times out of ten you hit up your target. Its not rocket science but it does demand total committment.

It is interesting, because Neeld has made no secret IMO of his opinion of Bailey.

Sorry, mate. Strongly disagree. Neeld has gone out of his way not to comment on the past, thereby avoiding any commentary on Bailey. Certainly his comments for the future reflect on Bailey's time (eg, the team isn't fit enough) but I believe he's done so with good grace with respect to our former coach and his regime as, by the way, I think Bailey has similarly behaved since his departure.

• Like 1

Neeld admits himself that talk is cheap, but he has done a bit of tough talking himself!!! What will be interesting is to see whether he will back it up if blokes like Davey, Watts, etc don't work hard enough. Here's hoping he does.

....here's hoping he doesn't need to !

I was more asking what pulling his weight may be, his role ect, he also had the 5th most score assist for our team this year...for those who said he does nothing but kick goals ect

We are all speculating at this stage, the game plan is in the top draw after all, the players have not seen it

In previous years Jurrah may or may not have had so much defensive responsibility, god knows alot of other aspects of our game plan and club have been less than desired

Good point re Liam's goal assists

And, like Davey, early in his career opposition defenders were shizenscared anytime he was around - he used to pounce from nowhere. Unfortunately both lost this ability, or probably rather the desire: Neeld sounds not the sort of man to put up with laziness, so Liam and Aaron, pull your socks up, contribute all the time.

THIS coach recognizes the need for each and every player to have a role in each phase of the game : when WE have the ball, when THEY have the ball, and at stoppages or when the ball is in dispute. Pretty simple stuff really.

I'm sorry, but this is the biggest unsubstantiated load of rubbish I have read on Demonland in a very long time, and that is saying something.

• Like 3

Im sure everyone will be instructed as to whats expected of the team , and of them as individuals. Roles will be described and criteria of acceptance explained. At the moment all players are at the exact same point of their new Melbourne experience. I.e No one has played a game under Neeld yet. Players now all ...ALL, have to earn their spots. They will have to work just as hard if not harder to keep them as efforts and outcomes are better understood.

Liam, just to suggest one, will not be exempt. No one will. A new day has dawned and some will see the sun and smile at the chance, others will wilt in the heat.

Its about a team , not individuals.....that era is over :huh:

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but this is the biggest unsubstantiated load of rubbish I have read on Demonland in a very long time, and that is saying something.

We are talking defensive pressure, not overall output.

Liam provides as much as Russell Robertson did. If you think different, you are watching a different Liam Jurrah

If were talking Jurrah then he will have to work on his 'consistent' efforts in regard defensive pressure. He knows how to do it all but in all honesty he doesn't give it for 100 mins.. But hes far from alone. most of the team doesnt and thats the essential element Neeld will address. Players will need to play at 100% for 100% of the game or give it their very very best impersonation of such.

Neeld wont accept players professing to give their all, he will only accept them doing it.

One simple rule for all.

Edited by belzebub59
  • Like 1

We are talking defensive pressure, not overall output.

Liam provides as much as Russell Robertson did. If you think different, you are watching a different Liam Jurrah

The only stat that comes anywhere near representing defensive pressure is the tackle stat. In 2011 Jurrah averaged 2.3 tackles, hardly the worst going around.

Yes, he could improve but so could 40 other players on the list.

To say that Jurrah "NEVER pulls his weight for the team" is ignorant, disrespectful and wrong. Many of us here are highly critical of our own players, but to question a players commitment to the team like you did is just rubbish.

The only stat that comes anywhere near representing defensive pressure is the tackle stat. In 2011 Jurrah averaged 2.3 tackles, hardly the worst going around. Yes, he could improve but so could 40 other players on the list. To say that Jurrah "NEVER pulls his weight for the team" is ignorant, disrespectful and wrong. Many of us here are highly critical of our own players, but to question a players commitment to the team like you did is just rubbish.

No its not.

He is lazy and soft.

All the skills in the world, but will not allow body contact, and only gives half hearted chases.

Would probably be in the top 10 players in the league if he gave 100% regardless of which way the ball was heading.

And you are correct, I have no respect for that side of his game whatsoever.

Some real critical posts on LJ. I don’t think his defensive side of his game is as bad as people are making out.

Neeld is talking the talk – a hard line where he has no time for treating people differently etc. Whilst that’s all well and good in principal, the reality is that people are not all the same and some people don’t react to certain management styles. I really hope that behind closed doors he is a little more tactful in his dealings with people that what we are lead to believe, or at the very least that Leigh Brown and the line coaches can play a bit of a “good cop” role to Neelds “bad cop”!

The lad's aren’t robots, and whether we like it or not some people need to be managed differently to bring the best out of them. A good manager will adapt their style when dealing with certain personality types, so whilst I don’t advocate “going easy” on guys like LJ, I really hope Neeld's style doesn’t ostracize various players on our list. Whether Neeld likes it or not, LJ is on our list, he's got a heap of talent, and probably needs to be managed in a different manner to say Jones or Moloney? I’d be interested to hear how RudeBoy thinks LJ will react to a “my way or the highway” style?

Some real critical posts on LJ. I don’t think his defensive side of his game is as bad as people are making out.

Neeld is talking the talk – a hard line where he has no time for treating people differently etc. Whilst that’s all well and good in principal, the reality is that people are not all the same and some people don’t react to certain management styles. I really hope that behind closed doors he is a little more tactful in his dealings with people that what we are lead to believe, or at the very least that Leigh Brown and the line coaches can play a bit of a “good cop” role to Neelds “bad cop”!

The lad's aren’t robots, and whether we like it or not some people need to be managed differently to bring the best out of them. A good manager will adapt their style when dealing with certain personality types, so whilst I don’t advocate “going easy” on guys like LJ, I really hope Neeld's style doesn’t ostracize various players on our list. Whether Neeld likes it or not, LJ is on our list, he's got a heap of talent, and probably needs to be managed in a different manner to say Jones or Moloney? I’d be interested to hear how RudeBoy thinks LJ will react to a “my way or the highway” style?

I am quite sure the coach would have spoken to the players at length before going to the media. And lets be honest after the last few years the playing list have not many places to hide. This is an AFL list, all knew what they were getting into. I am hoping Neeld's comments bring out the competitive edge of all on our list. L.J. will be ok.

No its not.

He is lazy and soft.

All the skills in the world, but will not allow body contact, and only gives half hearted chases.

Would probably be in the top 10 players in the league if he gave 100% regardless of which way the ball was heading.

And you are correct, I have no respect for that side of his game whatsoever.

Have noticed that when he's playing well & confidence is up he's more than willing to chase & tackle. Its when he's out of form that this part of his game drops off.Think this critisism of him is overplayed, Its not that he's unwilling its more a case of confidence.

If were talking Jurrah then he will have to work on his 'consistent' efforts in regard defensive pressure. He knows how to do it all but in all honesty he doesn't give it for 100 mins.. But hes far from alone. most of the team doesnt and thats the essential element Neeld will address. Players will need to play at 100% for 100% of the game or give it their very very best impersonation of such.

Neeld wont accept players professing to give their all, he will only accept them doing it.

One simple rule for all.

I find it concerning that people are making concrete comments like this.

At the end of the day, Neeld hasn't proved he can coach yet. While it's all good to talk about what he expects, etc, I am confident that there will be a number of threads next seasons about how supporters can't believe <<insert player>> is getting a game when he was clearly substandard the week before.

There will always be certain players that get the opportunity to play poorly one week, and still be picked the next. I haven't seen a team yet where it doesn't happen.

We are led to believe Neeld is a hard-arse, but to think that if a player will be straight off to Casey if he doesn't play well the week before is not going to happen. It will for some players, but it won't be a "one simple rule for all".

Billy... grow up

Neeld is on record for saying exactly that HE wont accept what people say only what they do.. Now try getting that through your skull , huh.

Dont utter things without checking reality it only serves to highlight your predisposition to attack people.

Billy... grow up

Neeld is on record for saying exactly that HE wont accept what people say only what they do.. Now try getting that through your skull , huh.

Dont utter things without checking reality it only serves to highlight your predisposition to attack people.

Time will tell B59. I'm just worried for those that are up to their balls with this bloke. Don't get me wrong, he sounds like he is on the right track and I sincerley do want to see him succeed. I'm just at a stage where words mean nothing - I want action. I know it's hard for him to show anything more given that we are mid-November of his first season, but just do it.

Time will tell B59. I'm just worried for those that are up to their balls with this bloke. Don't get me wrong, he sounds like he is on the right track and I sincerley do want to see him succeed. I'm just at a stage where words mean nothing - I want action. I know it's hard for him to show anything more given that we are mid-November of his first season, but just do it.

I'd prefer to be "up to my balls" with a new coach than waiting behind him with a cricket bat at the ready. There is no such thing as action in the pre-season and the closest thing to it is talk and good training, so I'm afraid that's what you're stuck with for now.

I'd prefer to be "up to my balls" with a new coach than waiting behind him with a cricket bat at the ready. There is no such thing as action in the pre-season and the closest thing to it is talk and good training, so I'm afraid that's what you're stuck with for now.

Not once have I indicated I'm ready with a cricket bat Chook. It'd actually be those that are pumping him hard now that will come out swinging should a player, in their view, not be dropped.

It will be interesting to see what he would do if a Brad green-type scenario should arise next season. Our captain (regardless of who it is), down in form, does he continue to play him? I think we were the last club to drop a captain (Sugar Healy in the late 80's/early 90's if I recall correctly). there have been some form slumps by other captains from all teams since then, and to the bes tof my knowledge, none have been dropped.

I will just sit back and watch what happens. Unlike some, I'm not hanging on every word spoken, however, I have been enjoying the media coverage we have been getting. And so far, I've been impressed with the actions to date. But there is a long way to go, and I will judge him at the end of his tenure (which is hopefully in 10 years rather than 3).

I tend to agree Billy. I'm optimistic that the man knows what he is doing, however i also feel that he is making alot of bold statements in the press that dont need to be made this early into his 1st preseason