$urprise, $urprise, $cully $enior Employed by GW$

If the AFL had any sense of what is right they would investigate this whole grubby affair; it goes to the integrity of the competition and will come back to bite them if they don't. I agree with WYL and I reckon this has been in train since the 2009 draft and they have probably been discussing this with the "Family" since that time. The AFL should seize all documents and examine them very closely and if they find that there has been impropriety those involved should be sacked and never allowed to work in the AFL system again. The NRL raided the Storm Offices to get the dirt on them and the AFL should do the same here.

What's more for fairness sake we should be awarded GW$cully's first pick in the draft next year.

It was reported by Denham this morning that Demir $cully will get paid $200,000 per year whereas the usual figure for this opposition is between $80k and $100k, they also reported that Sam Sheedy is also employed by the club, nice bit of nepotism there.

This whole affair stinks and they need to find out just how far the stench goes.

I don't expect anything except full clarification from the law makers HT. I know we won't get anymore compo BUT by the letter of the laws set down by the AFL we are infact entitled to it.

How can we be when Ablett got $9M over 5 years and the 2 Scully's $s put together won't touch that?

While I think Geelong got ripped off - I was very pleased to see that we got the same compo for Scully

Why aggravate the hand that feeds us for no real gain for no legitimate reason?

The AFL have put the Phil Scully $s in the GWS cap - let it go.

Edited by old55

I'm not so sure. It's the AFL who have forced GWS to include Lucky Phil's salary under their salary cap. They don't seem at all happy with GWS.

You get a feeling that this has a sort of stench that even Vlad is uncomfortable about. Yeh OK, that probably makes him more likely to want to brush it under the carpet. But you don't get the sense that the AFL are going to come out and back GWS to the hilt like they did with the original $cully deal. And GWS seem to have ducked for cover too - the AFL seems to want them to keep their mouth shut.

Put it this way - when the $cully deal was announced, both the AFL and GWS felt confident enough to eyeball us and dare us to take them on - "that's business, so suck it up!" But there's not the same sort of arrogant crowing about Lucky Phil - there's more a feeling of furtiveness about it, like they can't look us straight in the eye.

• GWS have plenty of salary cap room.
  • Gubby Allen would say, thanks Ken (Wood), no problems, we'll cop that.
  • The AFL would want to be seen to be tough even though they're lenient. Hence why Ken Wood enforced GWS to put it under the TPP. (PS. GWS have heaps of room to fill). Thanks again Kenny boy.
  • They already now have Scully, jobs done - but now that news has leaked out the Phil's joining them in January - let everyone see us (the AFL) to be a little harsh on GWS by including Lucky Phil's $200K in their cap. Ouch. They need to fill it....

They're all using Jimmy's motto "whatever it takes", whilst trying to smooth over the footy industry public at the same time...in the "greater interests of the game in the expansion for Western Sydney" (aka more tv rights).

And that's the bottom line. Growing the game.

GWS being sneaky as they are will probably claim the Old Man as a veteran !! lol

The Legal Profession could get involved in this whole fiasco and they would have a field day .

Phil Scully's salary being counted in the salary cap is the laughable bit . And boy , didn't the AFL act quick on that one .

What , do they think it makes it "all better now" ?

We've all put so much emotional energy into this whole affair and in the end it was a total stitch up ! Fixed to high heaven .

And what about the division it caused amongst Demon fans ? I feel for the Scully supporters - they were supporting a lie .

I smelt a rat early and thought he was "bailing" but it's not about me , it's about the Club

The Club was hoodwinked

The Legal Profession could get involved in this whole fiasco and they would have a field day .

Phil Scully's salary being counted in the salary cap is the laughable bit . And boy , didn't the AFL act quick on that one .

What , do they think it makes it "all better now" ?

We've all put so much emotional energy into this whole affair and in the end it was a total stitch up ! Fixed to high heaven .

And what about the division it caused amongst Demon fans ? I feel for the Scully supporters - they were supporting a lie .

I smelt a rat early and thought he was "bailing" but it's not about me , it's about the Club

The Club was hoodwinked

Too many put this down to the AFL growing the game it is more than that it is dishonesty of the highest order and should be looked at immediately; you cannot have a new club built on lies and dishonesty especially when the AFL are trying to promote themselves as an organisation of the highest integrity.

Edited by RobbieF

I know many here would like to go back to hi-top boots and 6 games on Saturday between Victorian teams but the AFL is expanding the footprint of the game and is dominating Australian sport - just look in the paper, back pages go to football in the off-season. The AFL draw tomorrow will splatter the Cup carnival and test cricket lead-up in South Africa.

You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs and GWS has to get decent players from somewhere. At least the AFL is providing compensation - they could have written the rules without any. We've got 2 mid first rounders in return for a #! pick that, do I need to remind you, we received by exploiting another AFL rule to help underachievers.

Let's move on and make the most of the compensation, hope that the Scully's reap what they sow and dwell in misery at GWS as we march on to flags.

Too many put this down to the AFL growing the game it is more than that it is dishonesty of the highest order and should be looked at immediately; you cannot have a new club built on lies and dishonesty especially when the AFL are trying to promote themselves as an organisation of the highest integrity.

How do you suppose they "look at it immediately", RobbieF ?

You must have missed Round 18 2009. Clubs take any advantage of the rules they can and they'd be stupid not to.

You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs and GWS has to get decent players from somewhere.

Well put; nice analogy. (Clich'e)

At least the AFL is providing compensation - they could have written the rules without any. We've got 2 mid first rounders in return for a #! pick that, do I need to remind you, we received by exploiting another AFL rule to help underachievers.

Let's move on and make the most of the compensation, hope that the Scully's reap what they sow and dwell in misery at GWS as we march on to flags.

Indeed.

I know many here would like to go back to hi-top boots and 6 games on Saturday between Victorian teams but the AFL is expanding the footprint of the game and is dominating Australian sport - just look in the paper, back pages go to football in the off-season. The AFL draw tomorrow will splatter the Cup carnival and test cricket lead-up in South Africa.

You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs and GWS has to get decent players from somewhere. At least the AFL is providing compensation - they could have written the rules without any. We've got 2 mid first rounders in return for a #! pick that, do I need to remind you, we received by exploiting another AFL rule to help underachievers.

Yeah, and brighter side - we would not have Clark if we re-signed HWMNBN.

I would argue we are now where we were before we lost HWMNBN or slightly better off for his betrayal.

Yeah, and brighter side - we would not have Clark if we re-signed HWMNBN.

I would argue we are now where we were before we lost HWMNBN or slightly better off for his betrayal.

I had made a deal with myself not to comment on this again, but I can't understand how anyone can say we are better off without him. We'll have to wait for approx 10 years for a definite answer, but I am totally convinced our midfield would look better with him in it than without him. Sure, we wouldn't have got Clark, but it might have forced us to play Martin or even Jamar at Full Forward, fasttracking the development of Gawn in the ruck.

Bloody hell, now I have to go and see my shrink again. Argh!

Edited by billy2803

You say you don't expect anything but "full clarification from the law makers".....yet...... you then say "by the letter of the laws set down by the AFL (law makers) we are in fact entitled to it"

?

Hmmm.

That is exactly what i am saying yes. We will get no further compensation & i am happy with the Clark deal, but that does not hide the fact that GW$ were shonky in their dealings with the MFC. So i am merely asking for more clarification. How many other shady deals await in their cupboard? How do we deal with them in future negotiations ? Let's open it all up so all clubs are aware.

Ignorance is no excuse.

What's more for fairness sake we should be awarded GW$cully's first pick in the draft next year.

Spot on - GWS deliberately stooged our Club so getting their 1st round pick seems fair compensation - we're not gonna let em get away with it are we ?

Just reverse it for a moment - don't you reckon we'd feel a tinsy bit guilty if we'd done this to another Club

I hear all the arguments re Clark and compo picks etc but this new revelation changes the landscape ..

And we don't even have to prove inducement - The AFL have already admitted as much by including Phil Scully's salary in the cap .

I hope the story doesn't die that's why the I reckon the Club should at least make a statement .

How do you suppose they "look at it immediately", RobbieF ?

I would have thought that was self evident; straight away, without delay, pull the records out of their office and wherever they are held and examine them to see if any breaches have been committed.

The AFL would have no hesitation in demanding documents from any other club; are they not subject to the same scrutinity?

I had made a deal with myself not to comment on this again, but I can't understand how anyone can say we are better off without him. We'll have to wait for approx 10 years for a definite answer, but I am totally convinced our midfield would look better with him in it than without him. Sure, we wouldn't have got Clark, but it might have forced us to play Martin or even Jamar at Full Forward, fasttracking the development of Gawn in the ruck.

Bloody hell, now I have to go and see my shrink again. Argh!

Because we had to fill the gaping hole in our forward line at some point and to have Mitch Clark in that position is a massive jigsaw piece.

And while he may be no world beater, the other options available that you suggest - Jamar and Martin would involve a 28 year old who is a worse forward than Clark and a fantastic utility but does not look like a natural forward at the best of times.

You are right to say that we won't know the impact of this for years but, assuming we get some elite midfield talent with those compo picks, we will be ahead of where we were.

And we are definitely better prepared for 2012 - which is what I was trying to imply, but I also endorse the idea in this post that long-term, we will be better off.

• Like 1

It was reported by Denham this morning that Demir $cully will get paid $200,000 per year whereas the usual figure for this opposition is between $80k and $100k.

Could be that A&S costs such as flights, accommodation, pies, chips etc had to be budgeted for under his salary.

The Club was hoodwinked

The club were not hoodwinked for a minute.

I posted this March 3:

Scully put off his negotiations with Melbourne in August last year, which says to me GWS were into his management during last season.

By the way, Melbourne is resigned to losing him, and will have to pull a rabbit out of a hat to keep him.

Melbourne merely played along with the charade to keep the water smooth - on the surface, anyway.

• Like 1

Spot on - GWS deliberately stooged our Club so getting their 1st round pick seems fair compensation - we're not gonna let em get away with it are we ?

Just reverse it for a moment - don't you reckon we'd feel a tinsy bit guilty if we'd done this to another Club

I hear all the arguments re Clark and compo picks etc but this new revelation changes the landscape ..

And we don't even have to prove inducement - The AFL have already admitted as much by including Phil Scully's salary in the cap .

I hope the story doesn't die that's why the I reckon the Club should at least make a statement .

IIRC we lost draft selections to Freo for salary cap breaches following us drafting Jeff White.

Inducements is harder to police though, especially when you agree to put them under the salary cap.

I'm not just talking about inducements, I'm talking about the whole process and how and when $cully (junior) was first approached and then signed by them.

This has to rank as the most grubby affair in AFL history and there will always be an underlying smell unless all records are exposed and all the facts are laid bare. If the AFLhave been complicit in any of the underhandedness then those involved should be sacked as well.

This has to rank as the most grubby affair in AFL history and there will always be an underlying smell unless all records are exposed and all the facts are laid bare. If the AFLhave been complicit in any of the underhandedness then those involved should be sacked as well.

I know of a 1980s VFL footballer who photocopied his grand final ticket allotment and sold them all to a heap of desperate punters, only for that heap of desperate punters to all show up to the same four seats.

The club had to pull some tricks to keep the dudded punters sweet.

Not as grubby as the Scully saga (or as tediously drawn out) but a small indication that the VFL/AFL is full of shonks.

The club were not hoodwinked for a minute.

I posted this March 3:

Melbourne merely played along with the charade to keep the water smooth - on the surface, anyway.

This is assuming that your quote was "gospel" - Plenty would have disagreed with you at the time ...........Did you know about the Phil Scully appointment back on March 3 ?

When I say the Club was Hoodwinked I'm also talking about the 37,000 plus members and tens of thousands of other supporters which make up the Club .

Are you absolutely sure that the Club "played along with the charade" ? A lot of us feel hoodwinked .

Edited by Nuggets

I'm not just talking about inducements, I'm talking about the whole process and how and when $cully (junior) was first approached and then signed by them.

I am looking forward to seeing how resilient this family is to the public vitriol being directed at them. It's just not MFC supporters venting.

All this negativity just could bring about a premature end to the season for him.

Stay tuned...