The Tom Scully Saga © continues ...

old55

Beamer has stood up on many occasions in big games. Remember Queens birthday last year? Don't forget also he is the number one target by oppostion clubs.

Also off the field he leads, he organises the boxing camp down torquay when he could have the weekend off.

A player wouldn't be second on clearences (1 ahead of Judd) if he could only play well against weaker sides.)

But back to Scully thank god we will find out out in about 2 weeks! So over it.

He really is a frontrunner at this stage.

I'm sorry to say it - I don't want to.

But whe the heat is on - Moloney goes missing.

He isn't alone - his captain goes missing, in fact most blokes older than 24 go missing when we need them the most.

This is why, if he signs, Scully and his peers should be given the leadership of the club.

As Old55 said - even when he is injured and down on form, he still contributes, as he did on Sunday.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dieharderdee

The people who arnt impressed by tom scully dont know squat about football. The upside of this kid is huge, the rest is up to fate. Hope he stays if he goes wont end the club look at geelong with out abblet.

Or ... there are some very smart footy people who understand the need to make it appear that he's a short-priced favourite to become elite.

Now why would they do that?

Ahh ... there's your answer.

I must confess I do subscribe more closely with the idea that theres a game of funny buggers being played out. Im just crossingmy fingers the club's got its wits about themselves.

Better than a sixties spy movie :unsure:

Guest Gareth Keenan

Beamer has stood up on many occasions in big games. Remember Queens birthday last year? Don't forget also he is the number one target by oppostion clubs.

Also off the field he leads, he organises the boxing camp down torquay when he could have the weekend off.

A player wouldn't be second on clearences (1 ahead of Judd) if he could only play well against weaker sides.)

But back to Scully thank god we will find out out in about 2 weeks! So over it.

One good game against a contender?

Look, I just think he largely goes missing against good teams, and the stats back that up.

He's a one trick pony, in my eyes.

Wait - he organises a boxing camp? Make him captain now!

(it's in Warrnambool, btw)

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/viney-catches-coaching-bug-20110828-1jgmh.html#ixzz1WN53s3Zj

Despite this assessment by Todd I thought Tom was very good yesterday. 11 contested possession, 6 tackles and 6 clearances is a pretty good day's work - particularly since he still hardly ever starts in the centre square - baffling.

But the look on his face wasnt right and he only got 19 touches..... very nice stats for a days work, efficiency is always his major issue,, i dont know what it was at yesterday?

Guest Gareth Keenan

Scully might sign a long deal with us, however, at the moment he is inflicting damage to our club.

This'll be good...

Go on. How exactly is he "inflicting damage to our club"?

How so? Blease gets the ball kicks the ball and finds targets. Scully gets the ball blindly handballs and doesn't hit targets.

Let's not confuse the issue; getting the ball is only half the job, disposing of it properly is the other. Scully has issues with his kicking and hand balling and I would love to know the figure regarding his efficiency.

And I don't want to hear the crap that he is "too quick for his team mates", a good player will adjust to that, not just blindly shoot a hand pass to where he hopes a player might be.

Scully is an ordinary footballer at the moment and is not much more value than Jordie McKenzie; he needs to improve a whole lot to be considered a good player and a heap more to be considered a very good player.

I wont argue that Blease hasnt made up some ground, and his last to games could be better than Scullys depending on what you are judging it one,

Blease - more disposals, and two more marks, only 1 tackle, my main criticism of Blease has been this at VFL and AFL level, dont think he runs as hard both ways, cant remember him busting a gut running towards defence, can always find the pace running forward, and only 1 tackle, Blease runs to far sometimes imo, when he gets this balance right he will be exceptional, but run to far and kicked it over our forwards heads when they were leading

Scully - contested possession has been said was 6, 6 tackles, disposal wasnt always great, handballs far to often but doesnt have the space Blease does playing far more inside football, 19 possessions isnt terrible but we expect a bit more, Trengove had 17 and nobody thinks he didnt put in yesterday

So yeah Blease may be a bit ahead due to pure number of possessions but Scully was better in other areas,

Im also not forgetting last years form, Blease has started well but to say he has surpassed somebody by playing loose outside roles is a bit rich, Scully in his first year was better for sure, atm he doesnt seem quite right

Next topic drafting

Alot of people saying that Scully was the wrong choice at 1 and we should have taken Martin, what about Trengove, and Fyfe

I would guess quite a few people would take Fyfe at 1 if asked, while others Martin, some Trengove and some still Scully all in quite comparable amounts, all while Scully is the only one of these kids to come off a serious injury this year, and who was the CLEAR number 1 on draft day

So who was the clear and correct choice 2 years out???? nobody yet so how can anyone be so wrong?

Scully might sign a long deal with us, however, at the moment he is inflicting damage to our club.

How is that?

And could this be 'referred' pain from the issues of the incompetent FD, meddling Admin, and blind Board?

I would love to know how waiting until the end of the year is inflicting pain on the club.

This'll be good...

Go on. How exactly is he "inflicting damage to our club"?

Because of the constant speculation of his impending exit, we cantsay what he has and hasnt done or said inside the club but from the outside it is dividing supporters (this thread) i would be rather discussing other topics personally, and i would say it isnt allowing the group to galvanize as it could if everybody was openly committed, even if Scully is and it just isnt penned atm

Speculation we may loose one of our best assets is damaging

Because of the constant speculation of his impending exit, we cantsay what he has and hasnt done or said inside the club but from the outside it is dividing supporters (this thread) i would be rather discussing other topics personally, and i would say it isnt allowing the group to galvanize as it could if everybody was openly committed, even if Scully is and it just isnt penned atm

Speculation we may loose one of our best assets is damaging

But how?

Give me a damage report, Joker.

That was a reference. If you got it, you're a nerd.

Guest Gareth Keenan

Pure unadulterated rubbish.

Supporters will always be divided unless we are winning, consistently, and heading towards a flag.

Even then, someone is always unhappy.

Do you think Sylvia or Morton are stopping the group from "galvanising"?

Or Watts was standing in the way last season?

You could even say it has helped the club.

The increased media exposure the club has experienced as a result of all the speculation has helped the club secure a sponsorship deal worth $6mil.

I must confess I do subscribe more closely with the idea that theres a game of funny buggers being played out. Im just crossingmy fingers the club's got its wits about themselves.

Better than a sixties spy movie :unsure:

Tom Scully stars in .....

The melBourne Identity

From Gubby With Love

For Your Side Only

The Pick Who Cost Too Much

The Melbournian Candidate

:blink:

Edited by Range Rover

How is that?

And could this be 'referred' pain from the issues of the incompetent FD, meddling Admin, and blind Board?

I would love to know how waiting until the end of the year is inflicting pain on the club.

On Footy Classified Joel Selwood talked about the Ablett situation last year and how it was a factor the the team "underperforming".

Clarkson talked about the need for stability in a club for it to succeed and that was one of the reasons he's staying and announcing the decision to stay "early".

I don't know how much Scullygate is destabilizing MFC but I know it isn't doing it any good. If Tom goes I can understand his stance but if he stays, and he knew he was going to stay sometime ago then he's not served himself or the club well.

Tom Scully stars in .....

The melBourne Identity

From Gubby With Love

For Your Side Only

The Pick Who Cost Too Much

The Melbournian Candidate

:blink:

:lol:

It all makes sense now.... Scully is a GWS secret agent..... I knew it!

And here's the proof....

I was in the change rooms after the match last week and i found this in his locker!!! (etching on the disc read... Executive Producer: Gubby Enterprises!?)...

On Footy Classified Joel Selwood talked about the Ablett situation last year and how it was a factor the the team "underperforming".

Clarkson talked about the need for stability in a club for it to succeed and that was one of the reasons he's staying and announcing the decision to stay "early".

I don't know how much Scullygate is destabilizing MFC but I know it isn't doing it any good. If Tom goes I can understand his stance but if he stays, and he knew he was going to stay sometime ago then he's not served himself or the club well.

Can you say a team that went to preliminary finals as a team under-performed, I know Geelong were premiership contenders, but they are clearly the number 3 team last year.

IMO there's a main reason everyone inside the club defend Tom Scully all season (Because they all have a reason to believe Tom Scully is staying.)

Unlike some tabloid reporters who doesn't know anything.

I think people will be surprise by the announcement Scully makes at the end of the season

Edited by Dees

Both of those teams are going for flags.

We are at a point where we have enlisted a loyal, well-priced consultant to fix problems within the very institution that we are having a go at a kid for not committing to.

Whatever samll 'damage' the decision to postpone the decision is making, it is nothing compared to the structural problems at the club that most likely led to the postponement of the decision.

This is such a nothing issue for me.

With FA, you better get used to delying of contracts, in fact, the Players Assoc. may push for a 'Free Agency Period' of a fortnight where players can sign at other clubs. If that is the case, players will delay resigning until that time - as they should, lest we have the laughable NRL-like situation of players leaving 12 months after publically signing somewhere else.

Both of those teams are going for flags.

We are at a point where we have enlisted a loyal, well-priced consultant to fix problems within the very institution that we are having a go at a kid for not committing to.

Whatever samll 'damage' the decision to postpone the decision is making, it is nothing compared to the structural problems at the club that most likely led to the postponement of the decision.

This is such a nothing issue for me.

With FA, you better get used to delying of contracts, in fact, the Players Assoc. may push for a 'Free Agency Period' of a fortnight where players can sign at other clubs. If that is the case, players will delay resigning until that time - as they should, lest we have the laughable NRL-like situation of players leaving 12 months after publically signing somewhere else.

I think you miss my point. The point is that if Selwood believes that Ablett's situation was a distraction at Geelong I think it's reasonable to suggest Scully's situation has been a distraction at Melbourne. FA has nothing to do with it and whatever problems exist at MFC have nothing to do with it. If a stable and well run club with a mature list is destabilized by the situation imagine the impact on an unstable immature list.

I think this conversation started with you saying "explain to me how the Scully situation could effect MFC". That's all I've tried to do.

Next topic drafting

Alot of people saying that Scully was the wrong choice at 1 and we should have taken Martin, what about Trengove, and Fyfe

I would guess quite a few people would take Fyfe at 1 if asked NOW, while others Martin NOW, some Trengove NOW and some still Scully all in quite comparable amounts, all while Scully is the only one of these kids to come off a serious injury this year, and who was the CLEAR number 1 on draft day

So who was the clear and correct choice 2 years out???? nobody yet so how can anyone be so wrong?

And there's the rub - we can all be genius's NOW but operating on what everyone knew at the time there is not a club that would not have taken Scully at no 1 pick. ( again I am falling into the same trap as many others - my "everyone" is actually all the TV and print commentators and some player managers and Shifter Sheehan - I have no insight as to the thinking of actual club recruiters - although I do recall that recruiters on the actual draft day on TV were asked who would go number one and to a man they said Scully - doesnt mean they would have taken him number one though - yeah right) )

Does anyone recall how maligned the Hawks were for taking Hodge at Number 1. He spent most of his first 2 seasons on the sidelines. I think he has proved a lot of people wrong although you were never going to go wrong with any of the first 3 (Hodge, Ball & Judd) from 2001. I think the Top 3 from the 2009 draft will all be good players would be nice if Trengove & Scully followed these 3 as Premiership players

Scully showed enough last year to suggest he will be able to burn off heavy tags and run them into the ground the longer the game goes on(similar to Cousins) and he also has the quick hands to deal with close attention

Edited by Pennant St Dee

I think you miss my point. The point is that if Selwood believes that Ablett's situation was a distraction at Geelong I think it's reasonable to suggest Scully's situation has been a distraction at Melbourne. FA has nothing to do with it and whatever problems exist at MFC have nothing to do with it. If a stable and well run club with a mature list is destabilized by the situation imagine the impact on an unstable immature list.

I think this conversation started with you saying "explain to me how the Scully situation could effect MFC". That's all I've tried to do.

And I am saying that 'whatever small impact Scully's recalcitrance has caused, it pales to other problems we have.'

I am not going to sit here and give an extreme view - that Tom's situation isn't distracting.

But I am certainly not going to stand up and target a 20 year old for delaying talks with a club that clearly has some issues to deal with.

And I am saying that 'whatever small impact Scully's recalcitrance has caused, it pales to other problems we have.'

I am not going to sit here and give an extreme view - that Tom's situation isn't distracting.

But I am certainly not going to stand up and target a 20 year old for delaying talks with a club that clearly has some issues to deal with.

Brings to mind Viney's comments on Sunday when asked about Brian Royal saying on radio last week that "We are definitely going to win" and Richmond using it as the impetus for their win.

Viney - "yeah I heard about it later on. Do you really think thats the reason we lost ?"

( love Viney's straight speak)

Are we really putting Tom's delaying signing to post season as a reason for our year ?

I thought I was responding to you when you asked

"I would love to know how waiting until the end of the year is inflicting pain on the club."

I'm not targeting Tom, you are by asking the question. Tom is within his rights. Tom has not helped the club.