RIVVO'S BOOTLACES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing......

A bit mischievous too! You conveniently left out the first paragraph about carrots being the best source of carotene, which the body converts to Vit A.

ps......why don't you get stuck into the thread about "who do you see in civvies" , if you want to criticise "unthreadworthy " topics!?

Edited by JUMPING JACK CLENNETT

The issue regarding Rivers should be more about his form and his leadership rather than his bootlaces. I think the past month hasn't seen Jared play his best football, and think that he has gone through on this site quite unscathed compared to others. For a leader, his body language is terrible at times, mainly when he is getting a smashing from his opponent, which is a standard front-runner quality.

MFC Match Review Round 18:

Jared Rivers: Jared had nine intercept marks and switched the ball really well. He defended feverishly with 10 spoils. He continues his very good form.

My thoughts precisely.

The problem with Jareds game and I believe it was the idea of the OP to if not address it , then certainly to notate it , is hes very one sided. Heis beeter game is about defending. And thats a warrant attribute for a ...Defender. But in todays game, at breakneck speed thats not enough.. Fowards are expected to have a 'defensive' game nad conversely Defenders must need to bring along an 'attacking' addendum to their bags of tricks. Jared very very little of this and this is highlighted time and time again when hes got the ball, with time to consider what to do with it. His effectiveness is often nullified at these moments by poor disposal, or poor decisons of what /whom to give it to. The OP also bring s to the table his lack of urgency often. Melbourne is actually noted as one of the "play on " teams. Jared must have missed that memo.. Often takes a while to do something.. Opposition all manned up. say no more.

Its a shame.. for he does have a good 'defensive ' game.. But hes not keeping in stride with the game.

Still probably just my view.

Still probably just my view.

Indeed.

Jared is very much the Roberts-Thompson, the Harry Taylor, the Tom Williams, the Josh Gibson, the Scott Thompson (Nth), the Troy Chaplin, the Ben Reid, the Daniel Talia, the Will Schofield, position equivalent.

They're all of simlar attributes as far a spoiling, marks in defence. Someone has got to do it. Jared Rivers does it and he does it well. Many different forms of players have different aspects and different strengths, you need a mix of everything. Jared's job like the others above includes various aspects, one of which isn't to break lines at break neck speed. there are others with that licence. All good and well and a bonus if capable of doing it, but not a necessity.

You remain critical of Rivers and wish he had so many other strings to his bow, that he himself and others above of similar traits, are not possible of. The team needs strength in the air and reach, Rivers provides it, others aren't as capable. You overlook this necessity.

Someone needs to take a Hale when their other partner in crime (Frawley) needs to take Buddy. Someone needs to take a Vickery, when the other takes a Riewoldt. etc etc.

His stats which are also overlooked, support this. And so does the FD. As I said 2-3 years ago to you, when you wanted him delisted/traded (out of Mfc), you wouldn't know what we've got, unless he is gone.

MFC Match Review Round 18:

My thoughts precisely.

You more than anyone knows how jovial those player reviews are HT.

Ok, he made a certain number of spoils, what about the period of about 5 minutes (that started the Hawks momentum) where he was one-on-one with Hale and was outmarked which from memory led to 2 goals or 1 goal 1 point. Then I throw in his vulnerability against Cloke, which is not a huge criticism considering how well he is playing, but to then go on Dawes and have a similar outcome, which at the end of the game both those players openly recognised his weaknesses.

It is these examples where his body language is unacceptable for a leader. The look on your face of "oh well, I did all I can and I still was beaten, so all I can do now is have a smug smirk on my face", that's unacceptable. Don't believe me? Look at the replays.

To his defence, Rivers is not a gorilla-tamer, and he is vulnerable againt blokes taller and heavier than him. If he doesn't have this criteria met, then he has to adjust the way he plays (maybe Brian Royal needs to take some of the heat). If you often defetaed in those one-on-one contests, you should play half a metre off your opponent and come over the top to spoil.

I am very critical of Jared, I do believe he has a place in our best 18 however.

Edited by billy2803

You more than anyone knows how jovial those player reviews are HT.

Ok, he made a certain number of spoils, what about the period of about 5 minutes (that started the Hawks momentum) where he was one-on-one with Hale and was outmarked which from memory led to 2 goals or 1 goal 1 point. Then I throw in his vulnerability against Cloke, which is not a huge criticism considering how well he is playing, but to then go on Dawes and have a similar outcome, which at the end of the game both those players openly recognised his weaknesses.

Are they always so jovial when they don't agree with the thoughts of some ?

I think that the description given is quite to the point. "Switched play really well", "spoiled (defended) feverishly" and "continues his good form" is an accurate assessment with no salad dressing. You may beg to differ.

The delivery early to their forwards I thought was exceptional at times, and as you say taller blokes, especialy Hale, would be a handful with good delivery. Some of those left footed midfield Hawks are dynamite. Certainly, I thought he could have spoiled one of them, where Hale was fortunate. And as I have said earlier in this thread, I was critical at one instance where he elected to mark instead of spoil.

He should have learned a bit (so too Royal) after what Cloke had stated.

To his defence, Rivers is not a gorilla-tamer, and he is vulnerable againt blokes taller and heavier than him. If he doesn't have this criteria met, then he has to adjust the way he plays (maybe Brian Royal needs to take some of the heat). If you often defetaed in those one-on-one contests, you should play half a metre off your opponent and come over the top to spoil.

I am very critical of Jared, I do believe he has a place in our best 18 however.

Fair enough. My opinion of Jared is to play to his strengths. His strength is his ability to spoil. He may struggle on power forwards on the lead (such as a cloke) and those with greater upper body strength. ie. Cloke again. So if they're hanging back deep, unless he can match them for position and strength, he needs to give himself room to time his spoil, which he does effectively almost always. As you mention height can also be an issue, matched with strength and when the delivery is good and to their advantage - well any backman would struggle.

I agree if defeated one-on-one contests he should revert to playing just off opponent.

Until such time someone else on our list has Rivers ability and more and needs games, Rivers is the man for the job. And in the last couple of years we haven't such a player; that's why I have been critical of those who want him out.