• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chippa on Jack

Rivers on Vickery

Garland on Miller

McKenzie on Martin

Nahas is the danger man in my opinion, anyone with that extra toe - Dan Nicholson would work in a straight line, but i think Nahas would turn him inside out more often than not...

They may go like this:

Stef Martin to run with Vickery all day.

Chippa on Reiwolt

Rivers on Miller

Blease on Nahas.

Trengove will get Martin

Edited by jayceebee31

Deeluded while I respect your passion for the Dees I think some of those are a little blinded.

Martin < Jones you have to be kidding. Martin may well be one of the most impressive young players in the comp. He is heading down the Judd, Hodge path. I love Trengove and Scully and they may turn into better players but at the moment IMO he's got them both covered. As for Jones, he's not even close.

King is also a better player than Nicholson (who has played less than 5 games) but I don't believe is playing, didn't he get a week suspension.

Cotchin and Scully equal.. maybe, but I think Cotchin is a more solid bet.

On the other hand I think you've sold Moloney and McKenzie short. I think they've got Foley and Jackson covered.

I think our backline will match up well with their forward line and I think that will be even.

I think the midfield battle will also be relatively even.

I think our forward line has the Tiger backline covered provided we get the supply. I can´t see them matching up sufficiently on Watts, Jurrah, Green, Sylvia and Howe and a resting ruckman.

Martin is the crucial match-up IMO.

Trengove head to head all day, trying to push forward to make him accountable going the other way, Jordie Mac for a complete shut down or Sylvia could be another option.

Should be a great game. IF the 'UP' Melbourne turns up for 4 quarters, we should get home.

Your right Hells, to be honest I haven't really made a study of the opposition on a weekly basis for a few years as I'm still a bit disinterested in too much footy until we get to become really ultra competative again. So I ca'nt watch the other games, with todays footy because I get too bored with it. But i still wanted to have a play with these matchups, but I don't know the Tiges well, after a handfull of their players. I've watched Martin for a couple of years and I know Cotchin & Delidio & Vickery, and Nahas is a bit one Dimensional, but don't really know foleys game.

I tend to analyse our guys backwards 'cause thats all I'm intersted in whilst we're rebuilding & developing. So that answer your theory.

At the moment the rest is just Ho HUm 'til we are ready to really challenge the top 6. So hopefully this time next year, just maybe we might be able to give some a bit of a scare.

Anyway, back to the game at hand...

Important debut....if that is the case.

Just a sneeky suggestion HT- sounds good..Blease will either strip this week or next IMO.. I think this week.I think he could come in for Barty or they may give him one last chance.

Edited by jayceebee31

Deeluded while I respect your passion for the Dees I think some of those are a little blinded.

Martin < Jones you have to be kidding. Martin may well be one of the most impressive young players in the comp. He is heading down the Judd, Hodge path. I love Trengove and Scully and they may turn into better players but at the moment IMO he's got them both covered. As for Jones, he's not even close.

King is also a better player than Nicholson (who has played less than 5 games) but I don't believe is playing, didn't he get a week suspension.

Cotchin and Scully equal.. maybe, but I think Cotchin is a more solid bet.

On the other hand I think you've sold Moloney and McKenzie short. I think they've got Foley and Jackson covered.

I think our backline will match up well with their forward line and I think that will be even.

I think the midfield battle will also be relatively even.

I think our forward line has the Tiger backline covered provided we get the supply. I can´t see them matching up sufficiently on Watts, Jurrah, Green, Sylvia and Howe and a resting ruckman.

Martin is the crucial match-up IMO.

Trengove head to head all day, trying to push forward to make him accountable going the other way, Jordie Mac for a complete shut down or Sylvia could be another option.

Should be a great game. IF the 'UP' Melbourne turns up for 4 quarters, we should get home.

Back to your asssessmants, I don't know if you understood my writings.. it looks like you may have got my style confused? >

Martin < Jones to run with is what I meant.

King is in until he's out, so a potential I think Nicho could do a good job on king, certainly match his run, but has more class.

I think I see what you've done. My < &> was used as a go to sign...eg Martin < Jones to go to, run with...

Riewoldt - Frawley

Vickery - Garland/Rivers don't really mind

Cotchin - McKenzie

Martin - Bartram - happy for Bartram to tag Martin both when he's forward and when he's in the midfield.

Deledio/Newman - Petterd

Who do you think will take Riewoldt, Vickery & Miller then ?

As per my earlier post

Vickery is 200cm. ANd their Ruck Browne is 203cm. Problem for Garland and Rivers. Max and Martin have to wax.

The Russian to our fwd line where Rance (194) would take him. This leaves Watts 196 as a problem for them

Beemer on Martin - teach him a lesson

Jordy on Cotchin - will shut him down

Chip to Reiwoldt - no brainer

Deledio was creamed last year by Dunn (who also kicked 5 goals!) - I'd punt Nicholson - has the speed height maybe a worry (188 v 183) or maybe Morton at 192 (eerggh shudder) - Is Joel Mac fast enough??

And last of all, Miller? Hardly one to send shivers down my spine. I watched him for 130 games. Let's just say I wouldn't bother tagging him :)

Martin - Jordy

Cotchin - Jones

Deledio - Morton or petterd.

Nahas - Bartram

Riedwolt - Garland

Vickery - Chip

Miller - Rivers

i think these are the matchups... i dont really see us being beat in many matchups on the field.

Martin is their most dangerous player, jordy will stop his fend off

cothcin and jones match up is perfect, as cotchin doesnt have that really blistering pace, jones will be able to out run him with his engine

morton has been playing that shut down role, killed shaw, so i can see him playing on deledio, but this match up could lead to deledio being pushed into the midfield, so maybe petterd will play on him

bartram will towel nahas, who is my most hated player, and bartam will rip him to shreds

the talls are the hardest, they will shuffle around a bit, but i think that this is how we want the match ups, chip is probably our best match up for riedwolt or vickery, but he will be more offensively damaging on vickery, and garland is a good match up for riedwolt too. swap could be garland on miller, rivers on vickery and chip on riedwolt.

either way i can see us toweling this wanna be mob, and showing that we really are still streets ahead of this team!

I don't like the idea of Martin playing on Vickery when he's in the forward line. Martin is turning in to a damaging attacking weapon, I don't want to use him as a negating defender. If we've got Gawn in the side as well then we've wasted a runner just so we can use Martin as a defender 50% of the match. It seems to me to be an outcome where the best possible result is a break even with Martin and Vickery cancelling each other out, when we should be looking for outcomes where we're better off than they are.

I don't know the answer though. How have other clubs (successfully) matched up on Vickery when he goes forward? There must be another way he can be matched up on without taking our attacking ruckmen out of attack.

I don't like the idea of Martin playing on Vickery when he's in the forward line. Martin is turning in to a damaging attacking weapon, I don't want to use him as a negating defender. If we've got Gawn in the side as well then we've wasted a runner just so we can use Martin as a defender 50% of the match. It seems to me to be an outcome where the best possible result is a break even with Martin and Vickery cancelling each other out, when we should be looking for outcomes where we're better off than they are.

I don't know the answer though. How have other clubs (successfully) matched up on Vickery when he goes forward? There must be another way he can be matched up on without taking our attacking ruckmen out of attack.

Rivers can play on resting ruckmen.

I would be keeping Bennell in the side to counter Nahas... he is probably the only player we have that has the pace and agility to match it with Nahas.

Guest Artie Bucco

To be honest, I don't think of Vickery as much of a threat based on what I've seen, but I missed the match against Brisbane where he apparently "dominated, like Watts is yet to."

That's the reason I considered the taller Martin a good matchup.

It is worth remembering that Brisbane has lost Merret through injury and the best defender would be going to Riewoldt.

I believe Vickery did all his damage on Patfull -- isn't that like our best option for him being Joel MacDonald?

Rivers, Garland, whoever - I think Vickery will find it a bit harder against us.

Guest Artie Bucco

I would be keeping Bennell in the side to counter Nahas... he is probably the only player we have that has the pace and agility to match it with Nahas.

I see what you're saying, but i think Bartram or Nicholson would be up to the task.

I see what you're saying, but i think Bartram or Nicholson would be up to the task.

My problem with Bartram is that he tends to "panic" when he has the ball and is under pressure - that leads to his making the poor decisions for which he has developed an unfortunate reputation... and Nahas has the pace to create that kind of pressure. Bennell is a much cooler customer in those situations.

Guest Artie Bucco

I have exactly the same problem with Bartram, but it seems the football dept doesn't.

I guess I always take that into account when making my selections - I include an element of what I expect to realistically happen.

If it were up to me, Bartram would be dropped before Bennell.

I have exactly the same problem with Bartram, but it seems the football dept doesn't.

I guess I always take that into account when making my selections - I include an element of what I expect to realistically happen.

If it were up to me, Bartram would be dropped before Bennell.

bartram is a certain starter week in week out barring injury.

he is not selected for pin point precision kicking, but rather his awesome defensive aspects.

he is nearly the best small defender in the game.

his kicking is wayward sometimes, as is his decision making, but it is the same for most players, but he makes up for most of his mistakes, by saving goals aswell, with pressure acts, and putting his head over the ball.

I'm sure they'd be happy to replace him in the 22 if there was a better option, but Bartram has some good qualities that we don't see in others at the moment. Bartram is much better one-on-one than Bennell.

I'm sure they'd be happy to replace him in the 22 if there was a better option, but Bartram has some good qualities that we don't see in others at the moment. Bartram is much better one-on-one than Bennell.

I understand what you are saying, but it really has to be a case of horses for courses... and I don't think Bartram has the pace or agility to handle (or nullify) Nahas who is probably in career best form at the moment.

Edited by hardtack

I understand what you are saying, but it really has to be a case of horses for courses... and I don't think Bartram has the pace or agility to handle (or nullify) Nahas who is probably in career best form at the moment.

if he doesnt play on nahas, and jake king gets off his suspension it is the perfect match up.

having said that, there is going to be more than one small forward in their team, and if you dont think bartram can play on nahas then he will play on the other

if he doesnt play on nahas, and jake king gets off his suspension it is the perfect match up.

having said that, there is going to be more than one small forward in their team, and if you dont think bartram can play on nahas then he will play on the other

I agree... I'm not for one minute suggesting that Bartram be dropped for the game... I think we need a number of smaller players and that there is a role for both Bartram and Bennell - I just happen to think Bennell would be a better match-up on Nahas.

Guest Thomo

I think Bartram would be best 22 in most teams in the AFL. He is a great defender and tagger, and goes hard all day. The Problem with Bartam is Rivers, Warnock, MacDonald and Grimes. None are great users of the ball, and a team cannot have several of these in the backline. If there were a few good users down back, Bartram would give it off early and his skills would not be an issue. The football department are obviously trying to fix this by drafting trying other players down there to replace MacDonald and Warnock. If one of Rivers or Bartam needed to make way for better skills, I think Rivers should be out.

I wasn't talking about whether he has the pace of agility to handle Nahas, I was responding to the assertion that the footy department doesn't have a problem with Bartram's disposal/decision-making.

The football department are obviously trying to fix this by drafting trying other players down there to replace MacDonald and Warnock.

Are you talking about being replaced on our list?

I think they've already been replaced in our best 22.