Melbourne's rising stars?

Jurrah23

If MFC are to be a serious contender for a flag we need six A grade players out of:

Watts, Morton, Scully, Trengove, Frawley, Grimes, Syvlia (still hoping and waiting) Gysberts, Viney, Garland and Jurrah.

We need to develop good to very good players out of the rest. If one of those also becomes a star then great.

The top category above does not deliver then our hopes are dashed and Prendergast is out of a job.

Like the group nominated here. Tapscott & Blease are more than capable to end up in the the very good players, at least. Am hopeful for more from these two.

Frawley is on his way.

If he and Garland are regular All Australian prospects over the next few years, this will be a solid indicator also as to where we are. If they are dominating, fair to say that the midfield, with the names above are also dominant.

At the very least, winning a stoppage or two!

I understand the point of the thread but honestly i couldn't give a rats tossbag (thanks Malcolm) if we don't have 1.

Give me 22 good - very good players who will dead set bleed for each other and a flag is sure to follow.

If it is the aim to have that, then some of those very good will become outstanding, some of the good will become very good and some of the average will become good.

That is how premierships are built. That is what i want to see.

Collingwood only had 1 genuine star last year- Swan. They had a really strong batch of very good and good players and that is what delivered their premiership.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.

I understand the point of the thread but honestly i couldn't give a rats tossbag (thanks Malcolm) if we don't have 1.

Give me 22 good - very good players who will dead set bleed for each other and a flag is sure to follow.

If it is the aim to have that, then some of those very good will become outstanding, some of the good will become very good and some of the average will become good.

That is how premierships are built. That is what i want to see.

Collingwood only had 1 genuine star last year- Swan. They had a really strong batch of very good and good players and that is what delivered their premiership.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.

They have more stars than Mick lets on.

Pendlebury, Shaw, Swan, Didak and a raft of kids who look like getting there.

Yes, you need a team of good players.

But stars (whatever the definition) are the ones that can rise above other players in tight games.

Collingwood has those.

Yay - the old "what's a star" thingo again. We haven't done that one enough on Demonland.

But anyone who listed Bail (who I'm a fan of) and Maric (who owes more than he's delivered) clearly has a different definition to mine.

Yay - the old "what's a star" thingo again. We haven't done that one enough on Demonland.

But anyone who listed Bail (who I'm a fan of) and Maric (who owes more than he's delivered) clearly has a different definition to mine.

Yeah, it's all semantical and subjective.

9 days...

They have more stars than Mick lets on.

Pendlebury, Shaw, Swan, Didak and a raft of kids who look like getting there.

Yes, you need a team of good players.

But stars (whatever the definition) are the ones that can rise above other players in tight games.

Collingwood has those.

I disagree.

Swan is a star. Proven week in week out performer who teams had no real way of nullifying.

Pendlebury is a very good player and by the end of this year may well be a star but he isn't a great of the competition yet.

Shaw is not a star of the comp. Another good to very good player.

Didak can tear a game to bits but is still inconsistent and not an out and out star of the comp.

That is what made them such a force, only 1 genuine star but plenty of very good players.

I disagree.

Swan is a star. Proven week in week out performer who teams had no real way of nullifying.

Pendlebury is a very good player and by the end of this year may well be a star but he isn't a great of the competition yet.

Didak can tear a game to bits but is still inconsistent and not an out and out star of the comp.

That is what made them such a force, only 1 genuine star but plenty of very good players.

They have affected the win of a flag, it's a semantical argument this, but what is a 'star' if not someone who affects a Premiership winning team?

They have affected the win of a flag, it's a semantical argument this, but what is a 'star' if not someone who affects a Premiership winning team?

The Filth had a whole Bunch of players lift last year...Without Jolly or Ball, Swan wouldn't have had half the possessions he had. And that is not a swipe at Swan. He should have won the Charlie.

You are a much cleverer person than that last post suggests rp....

You are a much cleverer person than that last post suggests rp....

As the purveyor of condescension on this site, I fully approve of the above sentence.

But, seriously, define a 'star' for me and I will argue, as will everyone else, until we are red and blue in the face...

My basic requirement for the Dees is to have 5 or 6 players that I can rely on to beat those around them in 'big' games.

Call them what you like - we need 'em...

As the purveyor of condescension on this site, I fully approve of the above sentence.

But, seriously, define a 'star' for me and I will argue, as will everyone else, until we are red and blue in the face...

My basic requirement for the Dees is to have 5 or 6 players that I can rely on to beat those around them in 'big' games.

I agree with this Bloke...Sylvia could be a star if he can fire in Big Games, and also week by week. The stars don't play bad games.

Some are just more Sublime than others...eg. Robert Flower.

Yep...

I believe Scully can reach a level that I haven't seen or heard of many, if any, Melbourne player reach. I just hope common sense prevails with his contract.

From there, as someone mentioned, we need a good half a dozen blokes that any team wants in their side. They have to be Watts, Trengove, Frawley, Grimes, McKenzie, Jurrah.

For mine, the jury is still out on Morton, Gysberts, Petterd as to what level they can reach. They may well become A graders, but I wont factor them in to my list yet.

Some key names;

- Jamar needs to stay at the level he was at last year. If he does, he'll be fine.

- Sylvia (aged 25) should see himself as one of our leaders come open window time. He has been on the list for a long time, but is starting to show his worth. I don't think we will win a flag if the above 6 I mentioned don't fly past Sylvia in the next 2 seasons. We need Col to be one of our best good players (ie. automatic selection, but has others better than him).

- Garland (23) needs to be compared to Harry Taylor in the next season or two for us to go along way. He has shown he has the potential, to the point I an see him earning an AA at some stage in his career.

- Tapscott and Blease are the unknown. Tapscott could be the X Factor. I nearly put him in that list of 6, I just see so much upside in this guy. If he and Blease were able to force their way in to that 2nd tier (the one below Scully), we will have an exciting decade.

We obviously need all of our list to continue to improve. If we are going to rely on Davey, Sylvia, Jones and Moloney to take us to a flag, we wont win one. These 4 will be part of a premiership team, providing the above happens!

I have named 18 different guys above. This has the potential to be the team of the decade. 2 key backs, 2 key forwards, 12 mids, 1 ruck and Petterd (wherever he fits in - forward I suppose!). So much has to go right for the next 10 years to see us have any Grand Final success.

I disagree.

You don't need 6 genuine stars of the competition, no side has six genuine stars of the competition. You need a good bunch of A grade players, big difference.

Pendelbury, Shaw and Didak are A graders and Daisy Thomas was probably there last season at least.

You don't need 6 genuine stars of the competition, no side has six genuine stars of the competition. You need a good bunch of A grade players, big difference.

Pendelbury, Shaw and Didak are A graders and Daisy Thomas was probably there last season at least.

Thats what I said in my other post...

I'm surprised Bennell doesn't rate more of a mention on this thread. He has enormous upside - and, at times, literally oozes class.

Yes Bennell & Jetta could be real X factors this year. It will be players like this who will step up if we are to suprise the competition with a good year.

Guest DeesPower

Watts, Scully, Trengove, Blease.

All of them, honestly, but those four could really be superstars.

.......Pettard, Jurrah, Frawley, Grimes and eventually Gawn.

I take a 'star of the AFL' to mean someone who is in the top echelon of the competition - guys like Judd and Ablett come to mind, while Scarlett and Brown were IMO also in that bracket.

Three guys quickly came to mind as potentially becoming stars of the AFL - Frawley, Scully and Jurrah. (Is Sylvia 'young' in the context of this thread?).

A bunch of the names in this thread will never be stars of the AFL, but they might just become stars of the footy club.