No love for Demons in 2011 Brownlow Medal betting

Pinball Wizard

Dane Swan is favourite  2011 Brownlow but where are the Demons?

$10.00 Dane Swan

$12.00 Brendon Goddard Gary Ablett

$14.00 Joel Selwood Chris Judd

$16.00 Luke Hodge

$21.00 Scott Pendelbury 

$26.00 Daniel Cross Adam Cooney 

$34.00 Leigh Montagna Lenny Hayes Aaron Sandilands Matthew Boyd Matthew Pavlich Jimmy Bartel

$41.00 Alan Didak Dale Thomas Adam Goodes Lance Franklin Cyril Rioli Jonathan Brown Bernie Vince

Dane Swan is favourite 2011 Brownlow but where are the Demons?

$10.00 Dane Swan

$16.00 Luke Hodge

$21.00 Scott Pendelbury

$34.00 Leigh Montagna Lenny Hayes Aaron Sandilands Matthew Boyd Matthew Pavlich Jimmy Bartel

$41.00 Alan Didak Dale Thomas Adam Goodes Lance Franklin Cyril Rioli Jonathan Brown Bernie Vince

Fair enough I think. Our main chances - Davey and Sylvia - have not yet reached the heights of those players, both in terms of consistency and playing in a team that wins the lion's share of its games.

Scully would be worth a $20 flutter at long-shot odds.

Pendlebury looks the value bet of those listed above.

Edited by Range Rover

Not really that surprising though. How'd we go in the Brownlow last year?

These things are bloody hard to win. I feel that even if we do have an exceptionally good year we're unlikely to do that well in the Brownlow count anyway. Scully aside - and not at this early stage in his career - I don't think we've got anyone on our list who could line up enough genuinely great games to score the requisite number of votes to win it.

The likes of Sylvia and Davey in excellent form will lurk around the 12-15 vote mark IMO, which obviously won't cut the mustard.

The likes of Sylvia and Davey in excellent form will lurk around the 12-15 vote mark IMO, which obviously won't cut the mustard.

Sylvia and Davey both polled 10 votes this year, in a team winning less than half their games. When we start winning and if these guys, Sylvia especially, can stay consistent, they will be pushing the 20 mark. Sylvia especially IMO, as he has the ability to play game breaking games.

Guest hangon007

Dane Swan is favourite  2011 Brownlow but where are the Demons?

$10.00 Dane Swan

$16.00 Luke Hodge

$21.00 Scott Pendelbury 

I quite like Jimmy Bartel at those prices. If you can win one with Ablett in your team, it surely cant do his chances any harm now that Ablett is gone.

Guest hangon007

If I can get 60's for Jurrah winning the Coleman

I must confess I like that one. But I'm not sure if I'm thinking with my head or my heart.

Ahhh stuff it ... I'm happy to go with my heart.

Sylvia is definitely worth a punt here... He polls well, and as we start winning more games, if he stays fit I will tip him to have a break out season and will go close to taking home the Charlie...currently paying $151 with Sportsbet.com.au

Edited by vanlo

Dees have definately got a couple of good smokeys!!! I reckon Sylvia and Scully are definately worth a punt for bronwlow, and LJ for Coleman is a ripper... If he stays fit, i have no doubt it could happen... Can anyone tell me the odds for LJ? Or is it too early?

I think he real "smokie" is Grimes. If his kicking improves and has an injury free year he will be the star of our team and will collect many Brownlow votes.

I know I will get laughed at/derided, but I think that Jones will be the one who could really step up in a big way in season 2011. There are few who work as hard as he does, few who show the courage he does, and as his skills improve (it's already been stated that he is training very well and appears to have greatly improved his kicking) combined with those other attributes, he is a good chance to score well. I also believe that he will be a part of the 2011 leadership group.

Guest hangon007

Can anyone tell me the odds for LJ? Or is it too early?

Betfair have a market set. However, its a bit flakey. Market set to 124%

Your have Backers showing 50's but only $39 available and Layers showing at 65's but only for $9.00 at the time of posting.

Depends on how you think he is going to go early in the season.

Edited by hangon007

I know I will get laughed at/derided, but I think that Jones will be the one who could really step up in a big way in season 2011. There are few who work as hard as he does, few who show the courage he does, and as his skills improve (it's already been stated that he is training very well and appears to have greatly improved his kicking) combined with those other attributes, he is a good chance to score well. I also believe that he will be a part of the 2011 leadership group.

Consider yourself derided. I'd love to see it happen, but I think Sylvia, Moloney, McKenzie, Trengove and Scully will be the preferred midfielders unless Jonesy really has found a gear or two. Barring injury I think he'll have to sacrifice his attacking game to fulfill roles as his did last year.

One thing that hurts Jones for mine is that I don't think he's as brilliant at the clearances as most think. The 5 I've listed above seem better at either getting a hand on the ball or laying a tackle. Jones I think is actually more an outside player without the speed and skills (but with a big body and hard as an axe). If he has round a bit of run in the legs I wouldn't be surprised if he played a fair bit on the wing and with success.

Fair enough I think. Our main chances - Davey and Sylvia - have not yet reached the heights of those players, both in terms of consistency and playing in a team that wins the lion's share of its games.

Scully would be worth a $20 flutter at long-shot odds.

Pendlebury looks the value bet of those listed above.

I agree, I also like Selwood's chances a little more now seeing as he doesn't have Gablett taking votes away from him.

Jurrah could be a good chance for the coleman if only he can string 22 together.

What are the odds for us making the finals next year?

2000 - S.Woewodin - Melbourne - 2nd

2001 - J.Akermanis - 1st

2002 - S.Black - 1st

2003 - M.Riccuito - 6th, A.Goodes - 4th, N.Buckley - 2nd

2004 - C.Judd - 7th

2005 - B.Cousins - 2nd

2006 - A.Goodes - 2nd

2007 - J.Bartel - 1st

2008 - A.Cooney - 3rd

2009 - G.Ablett - 1st

2010 - C.Judd - 8th

1st - 4

2nd - 4

3rd - 1

4th - 1

5th - 0

6th - 1

7th - 1

8th - 1

See a pattern? Unless you're C.Judd or M.Riccuito your team has to finish top 4 and in fact 8/13 winners or >60% have come from the Grand Finalists.

2001 - J.Akermanis - 1st

2002 - S.Black - 1st

2004 - C.Judd - 7th

2005 - B.Cousins - 2nd

2006 - A.Goodes - 2nd

2007 - J.Bartel - 1st

2008 - A.Cooney - 3rd

2009 - G.Ablett - 1st

2010 - C.Judd - 8th

1st - 4

2nd - 4

3rd - 1

4th - 1

5th - 0

6th - 1

7th - 1

8th - 1

See a pattern? Unless you're C.Judd or M.Riccuito your team has to finish top 4 and in fact 8/13 winners or >60% have come from the Grand Finalists.

Well Sylvia was supposed to be the next Riccuito...

Anyone know what he's paying for a place?

I'd say Sylvia has a brownlow in him. He has the kind of game that when he plays well he gets noticed (and has shown he will poll 3 voters). He's the kind of guy that could win it if he put 10 great games together in a season. He can do it, but not next year. If there was a market for the 2012 and 2013 brownlow medals I'd be interested to see what odds Sylvia would be.

Davey won't win one, but he could easily poll 30-45 votes in the next three seasons (no mean feat if it happens).

2001 - J.Akermanis - 1st

2002 - S.Black - 1st

2004 - C.Judd - 7th

2005 - B.Cousins - 2nd

2006 - A.Goodes - 2nd

2007 - J.Bartel - 1st

2008 - A.Cooney - 3rd

2009 - G.Ablett - 1st

2010 - C.Judd - 8th

1st - 4

2nd - 4

3rd - 1

4th - 1

5th - 0

6th - 1

7th - 1

8th - 1

exactly right

that's why the award is such a joke, there are 3 measly votes for 44 players and the winning side is gauranteed 2, usually 3 of them. Fundamentally ridiculous.