The new MFC emblem

Alan Johnson

Well the shape of the ball is not really that unique is it?.. a lot of other football codes use a similar shape

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/hiddenpromos/melbourneunveilsnewemblem/tabid/16497/default.aspx

This is the only opinion that matters to me.

It's not about the "Brand" or "market position", it's is a representation of our football club and it's rich history.

I like the emblem and hope to see it more in the future.

There is also plenty of discussion from when the emblem was release in August, here:

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22241&st=0&p=354580&hl=emblem&fromsearch=1entry354580

I don't give s**t what a designers opinion is over the passion of the supporters!

Edited by DemonWorshipper

A great emblem

There is still a logo to come featuring the demon.

I guess you can't please everyone but someone will always have something to whine about, red being too red, blue being too blue, I didn't get my morning coffee the way I like it, all about me, I don't like it, nobody else should.

Chill out everyone.

It's better than anything we've ever had in the past.

7f23d9ec769c3dd79ada26910cf8a1d9.jpg

I remember when this above logo came under criticism on this forum and I supported it.

I think it's a fantastic logo, but it is a brilliant corporate logo.

And what I came to realize, with the help of other posters at the time, is that an AFL club is not a corporation and their needs are very different.

Judged by the standards of a "logo" it is quite good, but it is cold and doesn't in any way ignite the passion of supporters.

Besides the colours, the name and the yolk, it doesn't convey any of he senseof belonging to a football club.

It is simple, straightforward, to the point.

It is largely bereft of meaning.

The emblem means something and evokes a number of images and memories, and this is it's purpose.

Still, some fail to recognize this.

The emblem is about evoking a reaction and inciting emotions in the audience through symbolism.

The intended audience is an MFC supporter, who should understand the meaning behind each facet of the emblem.

It leads to questions of "why?" for those who don't know and it serves as a reminder and educational tool of the rich history of our club.

It does that for me.

Agree.

The little red flame above the M in Melbourne is also overkill unfortunately.

The flame is representative of those that died at war. Our b+f honours them, our emblem should too.

Overkill is an unfortunate irony...

The emblem will be around, assuming future boards respect what schwab and stynes are trying to achieve, for a very long period and we have the various demon logos that will come and go.

Yeah, it's busy, but the club's had a busy life.

It doesn't work as a corporate logo?

Too fracking right; we aren't a corporation.

Alan you keep referring to it as a L O G O

The MFC site clearly announces and refers to it as an E M B L E M

In this case the emblem is "designed" to tell a story, wheras, as you know, being a designer, a logo is "designed" to contain a simple (single?) message via a symbolic graphic, so I don't understand the concern

The club has already hinted they are coming out with a new logo featuring the demon

Why don't we hold off until the club complete their new branding (jumpers, logo etc) shortly

I can live with it if this is just an emblem but at the moment it's being used by the club as a L O G O!

It's not about it being a corporate logo, it's about being single minded and professional - so we're taken seriously by everyone. Stand for something and stick to it!

The logo/emblem (whatever you want to call it) looks like the people working on the design couldn't come to a consensus on what they wanted...so they kept everything. I agree that all those elements are important parts of our history, but having them cluttered together isn't really giving them pride of place anyway.

It's just not focused or practical and I don't think it'll last the test of time because of it.

Edited by Alan Johnson

It's not about it being a corporate logo, it's about being single minded and professional - so we're taken seriously by everyone. Stand for something and stick to it!

The logo/emblem (whatever you want to call it) looks like the people working on the design couldn't come to a consensus on what they wanted...so they kept everything. I agree that all those elements are important parts of our history, but having them cluttered together isn't really giving them pride of place anyway.

It's just not focused or practical and I don't think it'll last the test of time because of it.

I love our new Emblem. Makes me feel proud, it also represents just how old this club is.

Which elements would you remove sir?? They are all very important.

Once again, judging it by the preconceived idea of how a logo should be judged.

The club simply cannot be summed with a singular idea.

It may look like it was designed by a committee, but that is because it aims to contain symbols to represent each important facet of the club's heritage, not just one.

You simply refuse to open your mind and judge it as anything other than your preconceived idea of what a logo should be.

It will look unprofessional to similarly close-minded designers & likely them alone.

Understanding that the nature of a sporting club is inherently different to most organizations, would be a start.

To be honest, I think you are stuck in this "PR, advertising, message-driven" mindset that pervades our society.

This isn't the Gruen Transfer, we are not selling something - we are trying to build something to buy into.

Building a club isn't about product positioning - it's about honouring the past, making the most of the present, and looking to the future.

We sent the entire club to China.

The entire club. And invited past greats. We turned an exhibition game into a 'footy club' trip. The only journo on board is the club journo - Matt Burgan.

This expensive sojourn isn't selling the MFC, it's creating an environment at the club for people to admire.

And our song, ripped off the Americans as it may be, talks of an emblem of the team we love.

What emblem? A figurative one? Left for the imagination?

Schwab and Stynes said "Frack it, let's design an emblem that the club stands for."

It wasn't meant to look good. It was meant to look busy and arrogant and proud.

We will have the one-dimensional demon logos come and go but none will have the meaning and resonance that the emblem has.

I stand by it, and I hope that boards for decades to come stand by it.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 1

I can live with it if this is just an emblem but at the moment it's being used by the club as a L O G O!

That's because it is the logo. The club call it the "Emblem" for obvious reasons, or do you need that explained to you?

EDIT: rpfc beat me to it.

Edited by Clint Bizkit

The little red flame above the M in Melbourne is also overkill unfortunately.

I'll just pretend I didn't hear that...

Very disrespectful IMO. Our own players fought and died for our country in the World War man! It's what puts our game into perspective at times.

The MFC have chosen very well what to include in our emblem - sure there are MANY things they could include but I feel they have included those 5 things that have impacted the Dees the most over their 152 years of existence.

To be honest, I think you are stuck in this "PR, advertising, message-driven" mindset that pervades our society.

This isn't the Gruen Transfer, we are not selling something - we are trying to build something to buy into.

Building a club isn't about product positioning - it's about honouring the past, making the most of the present, and looking to the future.

We sent the entire club to China.

The entire club. And invited past greats. We turned an exhibition game into a 'footy club' trip. The only journo on board is the club journo - Matt Burgan.

This expensive sojourn isn't selling the MFC, it's creating an environment at the club for people to admire.

And our song, ripped off the Americans as it may be, talks of an emblem of the team we love.

What emblem? A figurative one? Left for the imagination?

Schwab and Stynes said "Frack it, let's design an emblem that the club stands for."

It wasn't meant to look good. It was meant to look busy and arrogant and proud.

We will have the one-dimensional demon logos come and go but none will have the meaning and resonance that the emblem has.

I stand by it, and I hope that boards for decades to come stand by it.

Hear, Hear !

Well put

That's because it is the logo. The club call it the "Emblem" for obvious reasons, or do you need that explained to you?

EDIT: rpfc beat me to it.

Again, I disagree. Its an EMBLEM not a LOGO

The club calls it an EMBLEM and that is good enough for me

We should all adopt the clubs naming, there is no club logo just an emblem

Lets stop calling the emblem a logo (it will avoid confusion too)

Edited by daisycutter

I'll just pretend I didn't hear that...

Very disrespectful IMO. Our own players fought and died for our country in the World War man! It's what puts our game into perspective at times.

The MFC have chosen very well what to include in our emblem - sure there are MANY things they could include but I feel they have included those 5 things that have impacted the Dees the most over their 152 years of existence.

Very disrespectful to voice my opinion on a graphical element in an emblem? Get a grip Deezman. Don't take what I said out of context . . . oh wait, you did.

Excitable & passionate about my footy club.

It took the 0.05 seconds in the google search to realise this wasn't well designed...not much to consider hey.

The design is very much in the eye of the beholder. Some will like it, some will not. I personally like it and, let's face it, the issue got you involved in discussion on an issue involving our club so it's serving a purpose on one level.

If I didn't like the design, I'd forget about it and move on to some other aspect of the club.

Only a totally untrained eye would compare these classic logos to our new emblem. Here's what some unbiased designers had to say;

http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/everything_but_the_stadium_sink.php

Yeh, that's where you've gone wrong. You've sought the opinion of corporate types who measure the success of a logo based on the simplistic response of consumers to "buy" in or ignore. The old MFC logo with our red V is identified overall as an "M" by your marketing guru proving his ignorance of the topic which he is studying. Perhaps he designed this?cba-logo-whitebg.gif?v=10

The red V is synonymous with the MFC but clearly hasn't told this corporate [censored] the story of the MFC, which the new logo does. There is no other club with the story of the MFC and I think to tell it in our logo is a great way to generate pride and place ourselves apart from the the franchise clubs. Yeh it's a bit more complicated but we're not selling Hamburgers.