NFL

Dappa Dan

Another frantic Monday! (this time having to include the finale of Breaking Bad and the 1st episode of the new season of 'Homeland')

Seattle get up and win from a 20-3 deficit in a big comeback. The Patriots too good for the Falcons although Atlanta came from the clouds to nearly pinch a win. KC, Indi, Denver, Tennessee and Detroit keep marching on and the Chargers, Bills and Cleveland had big wins against good opposition.

The Vikings and Washington get on the board but those Lions of Detroit are a real concern (my blokes are at home against them next week) KC @ Tennessee in week 5 is now one of the matches of the round! How things can change in the NFL ^_^

Tomorrows game between Miami and the Saints could be a beauty. Here's Mike Turico with the Monday Night Football Preview Podcast

Dominant performance by the Saints today. Brees had a huge game and Sproles gained a total of 222 yards when you include punt returns, kick returns and rushing. He also got 2 TD's in a big game. New Orleans look a genuine threat.

'cfh' picked up a point in the comp. (there was 6 'Road' wins last week) The rest of us continue to struggle ^_^ ... 2 points up for grabs in week 5 (the first of the bonus rounds) Not sure you have to be much of a tipster to win this thing! (although 'cfh' has gone 2 from 4)

Points table ...

2 - cowboy from hell

1 - Macca

0 - Gorgoroth

0 - pantaloons

0 - DemonDave

0 - 45HG

0 - Norm Smith's Curse

0 - Strafford

0 - bananas

0 - Demon Land 7

... Week 5 games

Bill Simmons and Cousin Sal's podcast (apart from trying to guess the lines, they once again chat about 'Breaking Bad' towards the end of the podcast)

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

Dominant performance by the Saints today. Brees had a huge game and Sproles gained a total of 222 yards when you include punt returns, kick returns and rushing. He also got 2 TD's in a big game. New Orleans look a genuine threat.

'cfh' picked up a point in the comp. (there was 6 'Road' wins last week) The rest of us continue to struggle ^_^ ... 2 points up for grabs in week 5 (the first of the bonus rounds) Not sure you have to be much of a tipster to win this thing! (although 'cfh' has gone 2 from 4)

Points table ...

2 - cowboy from hell

1 - Macca

0 - Gorgoroth

0 - pantaloons

0 - DemonDave

0 - 45HG

0 - Norm Smith's Curse

0 - Strafford

0 - bananas

... Week 5 games

Bill Simmons and Cousin Sal's podcast (apart from trying to guess the lines, they once again chat about 'Breaking Bad' towards the end of the podcast)

I'm getting lucky in the tips due to some horrible teams going around at the moment. Giants,Steelers,Bucs and Jags are very ordinary. The gap between good and bad is huge.

KC

Denver

San Diego

• Like 2

I'm getting lucky in the tips due to some horrible teams going around at the moment. Giants,Steelers,Bucs and Jags are very ordinary. The gap between good and bad is huge.

KC

Denver

San Diego

Think there might be at least a couple of winners this week ... but I've thought that every week! Denver should win - I heard Peyton saying that they'd really set themselves to perform better on the road this season (although they did go 6 and 2 on the road last year)

There's a whole bunch of good games this week. Even Friday's game is an interesting one (especially if the Browns win again)

I'm quite concerned about Detroit's visit to Lambeau ... they got out to a 40-16 lead over the Bears last week. Bush has made such a difference to them - and they've got Megatron, of course. Suh is as menacing as ever. They might be really good this year.

But KC are the big story - they should go to 5 and 0 when you consider the Titans have lost their QB. Their schedule isn't that tough in the next month and they don't play Denver until week 11. The Saints are the other big improver but that was sort of expected.

• Like 2

Think there might be at least a couple of winners this week ... but I've thought that every week! Denver should win - I heard Peyton saying that they'd really set themselves to perform better on the road this season (although they did go 6 and 2 on the road last year)

There's a whole bunch of good games this week. Even Friday's game is an interesting one (especially if the Browns win again)

I'm quite concerned about Detroit's visit to Lambeau ... they got out to a 40-16 lead over the Bears last week. Bush has made such a difference to them - and they've got Megatron, of course. Suh is as menacing as ever. They might be really good this year.

But KC are the big story - they should go to 5 and 0 when you consider the Titans have lost their QB. Their schedule isn't that tough in the next month and they don't play Denver until week 11. The Saints are the other big improver but that was sort of expected.

Detroit are playing the way everyone thought they would last year. Detroit were 10-6 a couple of years ago and were tipped to be the next NFC contender. I don't know what went wrong last year but I hope it starts to happen again.

KC are a great story and provide hope that it can turn around. Cleveland's turn around is a head scratcher. They trade out Richardson and win 2 in a row and now sit equal on top of the AFC north. They can't even tank properly!

• Like 1

TV games ...

Fri Oct 4

10.25am Buffalo at Cleveland (OneHD & ESPN)

Mon Oct 7

4.00am Baltimore at Miami (OneHD)

7.05am Carolina at Arizona (Fox1)

7.25am Denver at Dallas (OneHD)

11.30am Houston at San Francisco (OneHD & ESPN)

Tues Oct 8

11.30am NY Jets at Atlanta (ESPN)

... all the other week 5 games

My tips ...

Denver

KC

New England

Can't wait to watch broncos cowboys game

Yep, that game is the sort of encounter where Dallas will do well. You can never quite count the Cowboys out. They lose games they should win and often play well against good opposition. Whether they can curtail Manning is the big question.

The other interesting TV game is the Texans @ the 49ers on SNF. Don't know what to make of Houston - they lose this and they go to 2 and 3. The early game between Baltimore and Miami could be a close one.

Nearly every game this week has something riding on it. It's the best week of the season thus far. Your blokes should win comfortably. Jacksonville are terrible.

If the Browns win tomorrow they may end up a game clear of their divisional rivals after the week is over. They've certainly got good defense.

And then we finish off with the Jets in Atlanta - I give them a sneaky chance (although the Falcons won't want to drop another one!)

• Like 1

So I'm the only person not picking KC? If we lose, I blame you all. Actually, Tennessee have started really well. I know they have the hurt Locker situation, but Fitzpatrick and Buffalo have had some success against us the past couple of seasons. Mind you, every man and his dog had their way with us the past couple of seasons I suppose.

Hopefully Dallas can do the job on Denver but I fear it could get ugly. It pains me to say but Denver look a cut above most teams thus far. It's four games in, we are undefeated, but realistically we are playing for the wildcard. It'll be interesting to see how they fare against really good defences the rest of the way and not the playoffs. Great D often has a way of beating great O when the big games arrive.

Anyway, it will be good to have buffalo and Cleveland on tomorrow. I like to get a glimpse of all the teams rather than just the same ones every week.

• Like 2

Chargers

Broncos

Saints

Although I knew it would be a tough game, rather than the walk over most predicted, how dare my Bengals let me down and be so awful. I could have been one from one in this comp darn them :)

Way to go CFH...

Yeah Jackson was a great blocker.

My big problem with Bradford is he chooses bad options where it's 2v1 or he tries and forces he ball into areas they should not go and he really struggles to put the ball into space for a WR to run onto instead it always drops short. Our o-line is struggling due to what you said the extra blockers are terrible, not even college standard.

We need to try different running backs, I have no idea who else to try but we can't keeping on with what we have.

I think that is sometimes the problem with a QB with a big arm. Overconfidence, as they think they can make any throw, rather than play the percentages, their touch passes can be out a bit as well. Although as I wrote I don't think your OC gives him enough in the way of easy throws from the limited number of times I have watched your guys. Too many backs come out of college that can't block. Edited by Strafford

I thought Freeman was going to take that next step but he seems to have gotten worse. We have a superstar QB in Matt Cassel! He actually played very damn well. 16/25 248 yards with 2 TD and 0 interceptions. I keep waiting for Ponder to stamp the position as his but he isn't dangerous in the pocket and we have a classier receiving group this year then we did last year. Freeman does need a new home though. He is done at Tampa.

I think Freeman is probably an anti Peyton Manning, who doesn't live and breathe football. Gifted, but not a hard enough worker. Might have a substance abuse problem, although he does have an attention deficit disorder diagnosis. I do take that diagnosis with a bit of a grain of salt, as sometimes coming to that conclusion can be a bit bogus and is a bit of a hotly debated area these days. If only Andy Dalton had his gifts, because he certainly doesn't lack Peyton's application...if only :)

Detroit are playing the way everyone thought they would last year. Detroit were 10-6 a couple of years ago and were tipped to be the next NFC contender. I don't know what went wrong last year but I hope it starts to happen again.

KC are a great story and provide hope that it can turn around. Cleveland's turn around is a head scratcher. They trade out Richardson and win 2 in a row and now sit equal on top of the AFC north. They can't even tank properly!

More to do with Hoyer I think. Weeden has a big arm, but thats about it. Hoyer actually has a proper understanding of the game. Their defence is pretty good, they just need a QB who doesn't keep on giving the opposition short fields to help them out. If the plan was to tank to pick up a QB then I expect to see Weeden back :) Although that might not be the plan as their new GM has been a fan of Hoyer since

before he took the Browns job.

Edited by Strafford

More to do with Hoyer I think. Weeden has a big arm, but thats about it. Hoyer actually has a proper understanding of the game. Their defence is pretty good, they just need a QB who doesn't keep on giving the opposition short fields to help them out. If the plan was to tank to pick up a QB then I expect to see Weeden back :) Although that might not be the plan as their new GM has been a fan of Hoyer since

before he took the Browns job.

With Baltimore being a bit off (Flacco 5 INT) do the browns make you nervous?

KC Seahawks & Broncos

I'll put you on the points table DL7 ... good luck!

Last chance to join in the frivolities Ladies and Gentlemen. Entries definitely close just prior to Monday's games. The executive committee decided to extend entries for one more week!

(I've got a feeling Dallas might surprise - that's all we need ^_^ )

Gotta feel for Hoyer. Done his ACL and is out for the year. If you think AFL players talk in circles at interviews Santonio Holmes takes it to a new level.

"Our offense is our offense. The Falcons' offense is theirs. We have a defense that plays against the opponent's offense. And vice versa."
  • Like 3

For all those who have taken the Patriots to beat the Bengals, I have a little news that should help you sleep all nice and cosy at night...we don't have any healthy corners. Not the best situation when facing Brady, even if he is throwing to a bunch of no names. How can so many of our guys be injured this early in the season?

For all those who have taken the Patriots to beat the Bengals, I have a little news that should help you sleep all nice and cosy at night...we don't have any healthy corners. Not the best situation when facing Brady, even if he is throwing to a bunch of no names. How can so many of our guys be injured this early in the season?

There's been a spate of injuries this season already (higher than normal?) I've picked New England but not with any confidence. Your division looks the hardest to figure out. 9 wins might get it done :)

Nice win to Cleveland yesterday all the same but the QB's took some punishment. The hit on E J Manuel looked worse than Hoyer's but as 'cfh' mentioned, Hoyer is out for the season with an ACL. Weeden did ok after he was called into the game.