Official All-Australian Team

45HG

Guys, we finished the season on 8.5 wins and still managed to get 2 players into the team. That's a pretty great effort.

So so happy for both Chip and Jamar. For Jamar because he has worked incredibly hard for 9 years to get that level of improvement out of himself, and Chip because he is a star and it's great that he is getting AFL-wide recognition for his efforts.

And congrats to LJ too. Doubt this will be his last MOTY/GOTY award (or Chip's only AA selection mind you).

Onwards and upwards in 2011! :wub:

Well said. How many players from the bottom 8 were selected??? Answer: 4. And Melbourne had half of them!! It's a sign, peeps!

IMHO Green is a victim of our ladder position. If Green was in, that would be 3 Dees, clear 3rd most players in AA for a 12th ladder side and 1 behind the top team on the ladder. I also believed Frawley and Jamar deserved it more than Green so i'm happy they were the 2/3 chosen. Still, stiff for Greeny

Very true. Very VERY true. But that's the way it goes.

One out of Stevie J, Le Cras and Green had to miss out.... Unlucky but great to see that the other two guys got a gig.

Agree.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Green was very stiff not to be on the bench there. Not so much because he has been the best in one position but because he is a proven performer in a number of positions and has had a dominant year. You can look at the figures and say there are half a dozen forwards who have had a better season, but if they were going for a real team vibe then he would be the ultimate swing-man on the bench and a selection nobody could argue on his own merits.

Oddly, I would make almost the same case for Pavlich, who if anything is even stiffer. He plays wherever e is needed and wins his position week in week out, has been in Brownlow talks for most of the year, yet they couldn't find a spot for one of the most versatile and capable players in the league?

And Judd? Exactly what has he done this season? He played half a dozen good games at the end to help his team push into the finals, but for the most part he was mediocre. It was a down season for him and he should not have been rewarded for it.

Edited by RalphiusMaximus

Well done to Chip & Russian.

Both super achievements to be recognised, Frawley at just 21 and Jamar after looking as if his career may pass him by unfulfilled.

I thought Green was our most assured selection and am very surprised he missed out. Jurrah with mark of the year, a great night of involvement for the MFC.

Well done boys.

Edited by Demon Hill

I shall be taking my little Excel Spreadhsheet into work tomorrow that compared the round-by-round 2010 year of B. Lake and J. Frawley to my boss who is a mad Doggies supporter. He looked at this earlier in the year and was chuffed to see his man Lake ahead in all stats (only marginally) and scoffed at Chip (who has played 108 less games!)!!

I finalised the spreadsheet at the very end of Round 22 and made the final note at the bottom that BOTH would be All-Aus for 2010 and that Frawley would be looked upon by career's end as the better of the two.

Will be interesting to see his reaction.

Every second year for the past 12 years we get a guernsey!!? :blink:

Well may be we will see the names Scully, Trengove and co inthe future! :lol:

1991 - Jim Stynes

1993 - Garry Lyon, Jim Stynes

1994 - Garry Lyon, Stephen Tingay

1995 - Garry Lyon, David Neitz

1998 - Todd Viney

2000 - Jeff Farmer

2002 - David Neitz, Adem Yze

2004 - Jeff White

2006 - James McDonald

2010 - James Frawley, Mark Jamar

Every second year for the past 12 years we get a guernsey!!? :blink:

1998 - Todd Viney

2000 - Jeff Farmer

2002 - David Neitz, Adem Yze

2004 - Jeff White

2006 - James McDonald

2010 - James Frawley, Mark Jamar

I think there's more than two years between 2006 and 2010 buddy ;)

IMHO Green is a victim of our ladder position. If Green was in, that would be 3 Dees, clear 3rd most players in AA for a 12th ladder side and 1 behind the top team on the ladder. I also believed Frawley and Jamar deserved it more than Green so i'm happy they were the 2/3 chosen. Still, stiff for Greeny

Wrong. He was up against three other very worthy AA competitors in Didak, Green and Le Cras. Green was more a victim of the AA selectors going three marking talls in the forward line with Buddy, Hall and Riewoldt.

If anyone was a victim of their ladder position, its Le Cras. In a side that for most of the year was terrible with a carp midfield he was an absolute beacon of performance.

Too many posters have the red and blue goggles too tight it seems.

MFC have done wonderfully well with Frawley and Jamar in the side. Frawley is well on the way to being the best defender I have seen at MFC since Hardeman. Jamar is such a great story and he deserves the accolade.

Well done Frawley and Jamar!!! This is proof the MFC can develop players! just gotta have a little faith and time. . . .

Bad luck to green...someone always has to miss out on these things...but green is a super player.

I think the fact we had three players named from a varous cross section of our team is very exciting...ie.,

Frawley is early 20's.

Jamar is Mid 20's.

Green is Late 20's.

Hayes not being selected makes the team border-line redundant. Hayes should be in the centre, and you could mount a case for him being captain. Terrible call.

Pavlich also should be there, if not at Franklin's expense then at Jamar's. Yes, Jamar was the second best ruck of the year, that's unquestionable, but to say Jamar's 2010 was AA-standard but Pavlich's wasn't, just because Jamar is a ruckman and Pavlich is not, is wrong IMO. I'd have forgone the second ruckman (maybe Franklin) and had Pavlich there.

Steve Johnson was not AA this year. Not even close IMO. I went over his stats in the AA squad thread and to me they just don't stack up, not just when compared to Green but to the other members of the team. I'd have Green in for him too.

Well done to Frawley and Jamar for making it though. As I said, Jamar was without a doubt the second best ruck this year, and Frawley was superb all year.

No Hayes is hard to believe.

Mark Jamar is lucky.

As mentioned previously, yes he was the second best ruckman this year, but he isn't close to be in the top 40 performed players in 2010, let alone top 22. If they were actually selecting a "team" to go out and play, then fine, he deserves his spot as the second ruckman.

But when you have Corey Enright named in the back pocket, Lance Franklin at CHF and Barry Hall in the forward pocket, this obviously isn't the case.

Le Cras could well have been AA last year, so I dont have an issue with him in there. Kicking 63 goals as a medium forward in the bottom team is a fair effort.

Very happy to see Jamar and Frawley get the nod. Jamar on the bench for Sandilands goes without saying but Frawley was a bit of a shock, in all biased I thought he deserved a spot but would marginally miss out. Great out-come and being 21, it is going to be the first of many.

I'm happy with all the selections bar one, Johnson doesn't deserve to be there. Pavlich was way more deserving with a consistent year, played more games and got it done both in the midfield and forward line. Goodes and Harvey both had better years than Johnson also, making it even more confusing. That's the only flaw on an otherwise good year of AA selections.

Edited by Deez Nutz