• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Casey Scorpions v Sandringham

I too went to the game. Had to leave mid way through the last quarter.

My report on the Melbourne players:

Johnson - One of those players who is dominant at this level but not at the next step up. Killed King, to the point where King just kept whinging for frees. Battled hard, chased, used the ball well, all the things he should be able to do in the Seniors.

Hughes - Tried hard in conditions that did not suit. I will give him one thing, he leads hard and leads over and over again. Very quick on the lead too.

Maric - I was impressed with him. Reads the play well and uses it well when he gets it. Tries to do too much sometimes, but I think it is more the point that he wants to take a risk, does not just do the simple plays. Needs to do more defensively still, but I think he needs a game soon to see what he has got. I get the feeling he will be better at the next level.

Aussie - Tried really hard, chased well and went in really hard. Getting his fitness back is what is needed. He, along with Maric, had the cleanest hands low to the ground today.

McNamara - Started poorly but got better as the game wore on. Did not do much going forward but stoppped his man, and he gave a great elbow to the head of an opponent as he ran past him, unseen by the umpries!

McDonald - He too is too good for this level. His poise and body strength stood out and he used the ball well. Bobbed up with some good goals and set up a few others. I have no problems if he plays for the Dee's, he is always very good depth.

Cheney - I feel sorry for him, keeps playing bloody well but cant get a look in. Strong body, composed and used the ball well. Never beaten one on one and deserves a game for the dees.

Strauss - PLayed very well, I would not have him in my top couple, but when he gets the ball, he uses it so well. It was the first time I watched him closely. Every kick was beautiful, especially in such bad conditions. He was most effective forward of the HB line where he set up a few goals. He also kept his opponent very quiet.

Bell - He extracts the ball well and got plenty of clearances, just does not use the ball well enough.

Watching the game just shows me that there are plenty of players who are capable of playing for Melbourne, so if you dont perform they should be in. I also think a few Casey players would do well for Melbourne too, especially McCreadie #20.

does anyone else have the feeling that they are trying to mould Strauss into a player he just really isn't suited to. Strauss is a midfielder. He has beautiful skills. When he was playing in under18 champs (with Watts and Blease), he was playing in the middle hitting Watts on the chest 10 times a game.

I feel that we really really want a great half back flankers with great footskills (like a Gilbee, Drummand type) and so we're trying to make him into a defender.

He obviously doesn't have the natural instincts as a defender. Whenever he plays at senior level at the demons he struggles to stay tight to his forward. I reckon just let the kid play where he is best suited, not try to fit him into our need for a half back flanker.

If we want a running defender, why not try Cheney, who is actually a natural defender!

does anyone else have the feeling that they are trying to mould Strauss into a player he just really isn't suited to. Strauss is a midfielder. He has beautiful skills. When he was playing in under18 champs (with Watts and Blease), he was playing in the middle hitting Watts on the chest 10 times a game.

I feel that we really really want a great half back flankers with great footskills (like a Gilbee, Drummand type) and so we're trying to make him into a defender.

He obviously doesn't have the natural instincts as a defender. Whenever he plays at senior level at the demons he struggles to stay tight to his forward. I reckon just let the kid play where he is best suited, not try to fit him into our need for a half back flanker.

If we want a running defender, why not try Cheney, who is actually a natural defender!

I'm not sure. The game I saw of him in the under 18's I thought he played a fair bit off half back but ran through the middle and kicked long and direct out in front of Watts. No doubt his kicking is his weapon so the question is where can we get the best use out of it. I think eventually the best place for a player of his skill set will be half back flank, but you are right he could be of good use on a wing.

My thoughts on what the club is doing at the moment is giving him an education. I think they know he isn't ever going to be a back pocket, but are training him with stints deep to get him to tighten up his defensive side. Hopefully that means when he is knocking the door down for AFL selection he can be played on HBF and be more comfortable. It sounds like a good idea to me, as long as they give him games like this one sounded to be where he gets to play further up the ground to get more touches and keep working on his offensive game.

Cheney of course is at this stage a much stronger defender. But I think aiming him to be a HBF in the future doesn't make any sense because that role will not play to his strengths but actually expose his disposal. He should be gunning for Garland's position as the mid sized close to goal defender. Unfortunately it seems Garland's combination of height and speed makes him a player who gets games compared to Cheney who can appear too small, too slow, too unskilled. Not saying that is true but it's a bit of an impression I've got from him, and considering how well he's been playing in VFL without stepping up to AFL maybe the club does as well.

I too went along to the coldest place on earth, my fingers almost froze to my can of VB - Vomit Brew but it was that or Hahn light as I was politely told by the bar attendant.... friendly chap.

I thought Strauss was great, on a day where skills and clean ball handling were damn difficult, he and Aussie showed great skill. Some of Strauss' kicking into heavy traffic up ahead was unbelievable, he can pick players out ahead in heavy traffic with consumate ease... I really like the kid, first time I've witnessed him live.

Daniel Bell will definitely be finding a new home at seasons end, he simply doesn't have the tools to be a midfielder in our current list, sad because I liked the guy but football is a business.

Daniel Hughes was injured in the 3rd term trying to run around a Sandy defender, he came to the bench, they strapped it up and he attempted to go back in the last term but lasted about 2 minutes before hobbling off and having ice strapped to his ankle, not sure the severity.

Paul Johnson actually played like a big guy today, he worked hard at the stoppages, and broke even, neither side really got good service from the ruckman today, what I did like about it was the physical pressure he was applying, big hip and shoulders and he actually looked good in a contested marking situation, usually he was 1 out in between 3 or 4 Sandy players and always got his hands to the ball, was never outmarked that I saw.

Liked Maric, clean, composed, probably just needs to work harder on going the other way, he does have good skills but he doesn't work hard enough defensively to be even considered on what I saw today.

Joel MacDonald is a class above this level, if only he could translate that form to AFL he'd have a big role to play in our side, works hard, is strong defensively and peels off and runs very hard for his team mates.

Tommy Mac was an interesing one, rock solid in the one on one but started each quarter on the pine, Tim Mohr seemed to be the preferred option, for a VFL player, Mohr looked very nice.... very nice indeed.

Who's they?

i think one of the things that the mfc are trying to do with playing strauss in the backline, is add a defensive aspect to his game, it also leaves him down there for kickouts.

i think strauss is the perfect mould for a gilbee, heath shaw, drummond, corey enright, role, as that attacking defender, his 50 m kicking is exceptional, so having that rebounding 50 would be handy, and definately play a key part in our future success.

cheney would definately not be suited to this role, garland or macdonald more suited than cheney. cheney is more of a whelan, reliable small defender, spped and kicking is not his strong point.

I thought maybe you were talking about the 3rd Reich, or somneone out to hurt us.

Not sure what made you think that.

Coaches see holes in the team that need to be filled. One clear gaping hole is at half back where we lack someone with immaculate skills to drive our forward movements (ala Gilbee, Gibbs, Drummand).

At the moment, that role is being played by Cam Bruce (shoddy skills), Joel Macdonald (shoddy skills), Frawley (ok skills), Garland/Rivers/Warnock offer no drive from defence. Cheney and McNamara are defenders waiting in the wings who have ok skills only.

That is the reason why Grimes has been playing a defensive role and it is also the reason why Strauss is trying to be groomed for that role. They have even tried Bennel as a defender because of his good skills, but moved him away because he clearly didn't have good enough defensive skills.

I am of the opinion that you should play youngsters in positions that play to their strengths!

If I were on the coaching staff, I would be pushing for Bennel at half forward, Strauss on a wing and Grimes in the guts. The only reason those 3 players have been played in defence is because they have good skills and our current crop of defenders either don't offer enough drive/rebound from defence or don't have the skills to pull it off.

Not sure what made you think that.

Coaches see holes in the team that need to be filled. One clear gaping hole is at half back where we lack someone with immaculate skills to drive our forward movements (ala Gilbee, Gibbs, Drummand).

At the moment, that role is being played by Cam Bruce (shoddy skills), Joel Macdonald (shoddy skills), Frawley (ok skills), Garland/Rivers/Warnock offer no drive from defence. Cheney and McNamara are defenders waiting in the wings who have ok skills only.

That is the reason why Grimes has been playing a defensive role and it is also the reason why Strauss is trying to be groomed for that role. They have even tried Bennel as a defender because of his good skills, but moved him away because he clearly didn't have good enough defensive skills.

I am of the opinion that you should play youngsters in positions that play to their strengths!

If I were on the coaching staff, I would be pushing for Bennel at half forward, Strauss on a wing and Grimes in the guts. The only reason those 3 players have been played in defence is because they have good skills and our current crop of defenders either don't offer enough drive/rebound from defence or don't have the skills to pull it off.

Ah, sorry mate, I'll retract, I didn't read it. I'm in defensive mood atmo with family issues effecting me. Apologies all round.

Strauss played off Half back flank for the majority of him playing for Vic- however he covered the midfield very well.

Strauss played off Half back flank for the majority of him playing for Vic- however he covered the midfield very well.

Spot on. FD are not moulding him in to something he isn't, they are teaching him how to play the position with more confidence at AFL level. He already has the tools to be a terrific rebounding defender and now he needs to learn more about the defensive side of his game as well, something he probably didn't need to do as much at TAC level.

I must admit that I'm looking forward to seeing him back in the red and blue in the very near future!

Spot on. FD are not moulding him in to something he isn't, they are teaching him how to play the position with more confidence at AFL level. He already has the tools to be a terrific rebounding defender and now he needs to learn more about the defensive side of his game as well, something he probably didn't need to do as much at TAC level.

I must admit that I'm looking forward to seeing him back in the red and blue in the very near future!

I might stand corrected on this point.

But having watched the championships that year, Strauss was not playing any sort of defensive role. He might have played some time as a high half back, but it was more wing and midfield than anything.

He certainly wasn't doing any defensive jobs that i remember

Guys is anyone going to Willy next saturday? as there is no Demons fix.

If you think Casey is cold wait till you get to Williamstown!

I am goin as long as the weather is reasonable.

However if it windy or rainy it will be the telly for me.

That place is like the Artic on a bad day.

I might stand corrected on this point.

But having watched the championships that year, Strauss was not playing any sort of defensive role. He might have played some time as a high half back, but it was more wing and midfield than anything.

He certainly wasn't doing any defensive jobs that i remember

I just watched the replay to confirm that in the finals he played off half back but the most signifacant point your raise he basically ran off the wing and through the guts. Kicked a great goal from the centre.