50 years of watching the Demons

Prof

It's futile to compare eras. You can really only compare players to others of their own generation, which is where Lyon falls down. Jimmy can hold his head higher in this regard.

Lyon was a poor overhead contested mark, which stopped him taking the next level. His other attributes were superb. Stynes ended his career a great ruckman/follower, but I wouldn't have him as one of the greats of the game. He's a great of the MFC no doubt. That said, I wouldn't get into an argument over it and he was definitely in the upper echelon for his era.

Lyon was a poor overhead contested mark? That is utter nonsense.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lyon was a poor overhead contested mark? That is utter nonsense.

Surely you're kidding. He was good on a lead, but never took a high pack mark in his life. Actually, he did take one, but I'm not sure who was more surprised, him or me. Anyone that watched him regularly knows this.

Surely you're kidding. He was good on a lead, but never took a high pack mark in his life. Actually, he did take one, but I'm not sure who was more surprised, him or me. Anyone that watched him regularly knows this.

That is total rubbish. watch the footscray v melbourne final in '94.

My Favourite player at one stage was Ricky Jackson, one of the best little players Ive seen in the AFL

Ill never forget the game at Windy hill, on a cold day in July 1990 were Melbourne was basically down & out.

For the first Three Quarters Melbourne trailed

..Essendon ....5.6..9.8..13.12

..Melbourne....3.2..7.5...9.9

Going into the last quarter we were 4.3 in arrears and the game looked like it was Essendons for the taking

The final quarter started and Essendon I think got the first goal

But then it happend Ricky Jackson and Darren Bennett, turned on the switch and in turn, turned the match into the Ricky and Darren show kicking 4 and 5 goals respectively for the day with the majority coming in the last quarter in which we kicked 8 goals 3 points compared to Essendons 2 goals 4 points.

They cut Essendon apart and we run out eventual winners

Melbourne 17 . 12 ( 114 )

Essendon 15 . 16 ( 106 )

Definetly a Game to remember

I admit some of my Memories have may not be quite accurate and it may not be quite the way the score occured but it doesnt Matter

I still have a cherished memory of a game I shall long Remember :wub:

That is total rubbish. watch the footscray v melbourne final in '94.

I don't live in the bush and actually attended that game.

I don't want to denigrate a Demon great so I'll leave it at that. Needless to say, I disagree with you completely.

I'm really glad I started this thread. Thank you to all the contributors. It's refreshing to have related issues to debate other than the current ones. I felt bad last Monday seeing Dicko on the 'G. (I left him out of my team.) I also enjoyed seeing John Lord on the ground. Can anyone confirm his nickname ... was it 'DANGA' ? I remember seeing on a banner (in about 1964!) and always wondered what its significance was. I can still remember Lordy religiuosly using a drop kick when kicking for goal. By the way, did anyone sit up in the "Old Grey Smith" stand? Loved racing up and down the wooden stairs at the back of the stand.

John Clements did some work for my dad (labouring) during the early 70's

His career started brightly but stalled. I think i remember him kicking a bag against Geelong at the 'G in '73. It was my birthday so it has stuck in my memory.

What a significant day! Forget slack Jack Clennett! This was Robbie Flower's first game! By the way, I think you'll find the player that kicked a bag for the Dees was Glenn Swan (8 goals from memory).

What a significant day! Forget slack Jack Clennett! This was Robbie Flower's first game! By the way, I think you'll find the player that kicked a bag for the Dees was Glenn Swan (8 goals from memory).

I think you are right Prof, The day itself has stuck in my mind. I must look it up and check all the stats.

John Clennett & Glenn Swan..Both Names ring the same bell!!!!

I do remember when my Dad Said "watch that kid no. 2-He's good" so it must have been on that day..Thanks for that.

Edited by why you little

I don't live in the bush and actually attended that game.

I don't want to denigrate a Demon great so I'll leave it at that. Needless to say, I disagree with you completely.

What's living in the bush got to do with it? I go every week, and I too went to that game.

Lyon had a light frame so wasn't your classic bash and crash forward. He had the aerial ability, like Flower to pirouette in the air in a pack to outmark opponents. His long reach also helped in this.

Edited by bush demon

i have to agree with Bush demon. Lyon's overhead marking was not his strength, but to say he was rubbish is total football ignorance.

He was a great mark on the lead, had great body awareness of his opponents and was as smart a footballer as anyone going around.

Don't let your nostalgic ways blur common sense.

Edited by Demon3

Garry Lyon was never Rubbish Please. His Balance whilst moving was second to none.

Garry Took a lot of Pack Marks, which is what helped ruin his back (shaun Smith & Jeff Farmer didn't help i know)

G Lyon wasn't the greatest overhead mark, but he sure wasn't the worst either

So please refrain from using G Lyon & Rubbish in the same sentence thankyou-That is just ignorance.