Dustin Martin wins round 10 Rising Star Nomination

Carlos Danger

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/95399/default.aspx

Dustin Martin: 21 disposals (43% efficiency) - 5 clangers - 4 tackles - 11 clearances

Jordan Gysberts: 26 disposals (69% efficiency) - 1 clanger - 3 tackles - 4 clearances

Doesn't make any sense, sure Richmond had it's first win for the year but I think that's more to do with Port having 3 injuries and a 1-man bench, as opposed to Richmond having a blinder. Even if it was a full strength Power outfit, there is no comparison to a full strength Geelong side. Look at the stats, clearances and an extremely lucky winning side shouldn't outweigh Gysberts' classier more effective debut performance. It just comes across like Melbourne has already had 2 rising star nominees and Richmond's top draft pick is yet to secure their first, hence Martin's inferior effort gets the nod over Gysberts.

I'm not entirely certain about the criteria of a nomination, but it appears to be flawed or biased. Or maybe a bit of both.

Edited by Deez Nutz

Martin has had a number of good performances this year. He played well on Saturday in a winning side.

This selection was true to form by the Rising Star judges.

Its take a really good performance to crack the Rising Star in your first game outside Rds 1 to 2.

No shame of Gysberts. His time will come.

We can't expect to have nominations every week. Especially considering that Martins been pretty solid for the Tigers all year. Gysberts has played one game and will play more crackers in the future.

If you wanna look at stats alone, spare a thought for Tom Rockliff who picked up 30 touches on the weekend.

Of Gys' 26 disposals, 10 were contested. He also had 4 clearances (not one), and just the one clanger.

His nomination will come sooner rather than later, no doubt.

Martin probably deserved this one for performances he'd put in in a number of Richmond losses. He was always going to get one as soon as they won. And he did have 11 clearances (which is amazing, despite the conditions).

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Gysberts, Martin, Garlett or Rockliff all deserved the nod. I'm not too fussed that Gysberts didn't get it. He'll get one soon enough if he keeps playing like that.

Guest DeesPower

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/95399/default.aspx

Dustin Martin: 21 disposals (43% efficiency) - 5 clangers - 4 tackles - 11 clearances

Jordan Gysberts: 26 disposals (69% efficiency) - 1 clanger - 3 tackles - 4 clearances

Doesn't make any sense, sure Richmond had it's first win for the year but I think that's more to do with Port having 3 injuries and a 1-man bench, as opposed to Richmond having a blinder. Even if it was a full strength Power outfit, there is no comparison to a full strength Geelong side. Look at the stats, clearances and an extremely lucky winning side shouldn't outweigh Gysberts' classier more effective debut performance. It just comes across like Melbourne has already had 2 rising star nominees and Richmond's top draft pick is yet to secure their first, hence Martin's inferior effort gets the nod over Gysberts.

I'm not entirely certain about the criteria of a nomination, but it appears to be flawed or biased. Or maybe a bit of both.

I think it also has something to do with consistency. It is extremely rare for it to be awarded to first game players.

Guest The Boss

The Jizz will need to string together a few more solid performances together before he gets a nomination.

How is Morabito travelling? I really liked him pre-draft, but haven't followed Freo at all this year.

I'm totally ok with Gys missing out here. Martin has played some really good footy this year, and deserves a callup. You'd suggest there'll be few chances for the Toigs to win this year, and if fair is fair, Martin needs to get one. He's been in the top 10 potentials this year easily.

Put it this way. If the same thing happened to one of ours in the same situation? I'd be [censored].

How is Morabito travelling? I really liked him pre-draft, but haven't followed Freo at all this year.

I thought he'd missed games this year, as I heard he got a minor injury at some point. But it seems he hasn't missed a game this year.

He hasn't cracked 20 possessions yet, and hasn't kicked more than 2 goals. Not sure if they're playing him in defence, but he's certainly not yet gotten up there with Scullgove, Hanneberry or Bastinac.

Edited by Dappa Dan

REmember it's not based on a individual week. Gysberts and Watts will get there's soon enough.

Total unsubstantiated bulltish. Do you always make stuff up??

No doubt that Martin deserved it this week......I would have LOVED to see Gys get in his debut but the powers that decide would have weighed up Gys, Rockliff and Martin and give it Martin on top of other performances.....this is fair enough as going by Gys debut he will get a nom soon enough.

What makes me more happy of late is that finally some are seeing that Nic Nat is not even close to a certainty for Rising Star.....Hanneberry, Martin and those three that play at the dees? Scully, Trengove, Gysberts...that's them! Going to be a close run race....Gys starting a bit behind but if he plays like last week could well become a bolter!

Would be nice to add Watts to that list too!

Total unsubstantiated bulltish. Do you always make stuff up??

No doubt if there is two to three that could easily be nominated consistency over a few games is a deciding factor.......

Should have been Rockliff. I saw that game, he did really well.

Mind you, it's not like Martin's a dud player either. He's top 10 in the competition for clearances apparently. 11 on the weekend in the slop against a half-decent midfield (Cornes, Rodan, Boak, Salopek, Cassisi), I reckon that's a fair effort.

Gysberts' time will come. As will Watts' and McKenzie's. And maybe Strauss'. And Blease's. Cheney's. McNamara's. Nothing to worry about.