NO REST FOR THE WICKED

Demonland

NO REST FOR THE WICKED by The Oracle

It was a diabolically clever move by the Melbourne brains trust to rest brilliant youngsters Jack Trengove and Tom Scully and to omit strong tackling surprise packet of the year Jordie McKenzie for the annual pilgrimage to Skilled Stadium where Geelong was already odds on favourite to commit the now routine ritual slaughter of a rival team on its own dung heap. The selections were indeed wise and intended to enhance the durability of the club's leading young talent but they also sent out some mixed messages.

For many Demon fans they were the final nail in the coffin if they were still toying with the idea of braving the cold, windy and rainy onset of winter and the hour's drive down a drab highway bereft of any decent scenery into the hell hole that masquerades as the State's second city. Most simply took the right-minded and sober decision not to turn up and risk a drenching and the possibility of contracting pneumonia for the simple pleasure of watching their team cop a drubbing especially if the game could be watched on one hour delay in the warm comfort of your own home or local pub. Well ... there are exceptions to the rule and your correspondent was one of them this week.

No rest for the wicked.

Actually, on the subject of rest, I have developed a theory quite early that the selectors had erred too much on the side of caution this time. The rigours of negotiating the energy sapping heat and humidity of the Top End as well as the travel and recovery time and regimen involved were always going to cause grief to a young side so patently outmatched by this machine sitting irresistibly on top of the table with an extra day's break and an average winning margin of 90 points from its three previous games at the Cattery. And if you needed any proof of the effects of tropical fatigue syndrome that affects teams travelling to the Top End you only needed to look at what was happening on the same afternoon elsewhere in the land when winless Richmond decimated the other survivor of last Saturday night's northern rumble.

The answer to all of this was quite clearly that the selectors should have been even more daring. They should have rested even more players in a move that, in my view, would have produced a much closer result than the eventual 54 point percentage killing defeat that that those of us who bothered to go the full distance managed to witness.

The Demons went into the game with a top heavy defence which was clearly an error when taking on a slick, well oiled attacking machine like the Cats on a ground where they can't be beaten even in a single quarter let alone for a whole match. One of those defenders could easily have been given the day off to play a round of golf back in town rather than to be monstered by a Podsiadly (was it Nathan Carroll who used to routinely do a number on him when he was a middle aged spud at Werribee?) or a Hawkins. Surely, a fresh Kyle Cheney or James Strauss would have provided a little more balance and allowed less latitude to the Cats (exception James Frawley who kept Johnson under reasonable check after quarter time) than our over-abundant defensive talls - especially given that the Casey Scorpions had the bye last week?

The same can be said up forward where the Melbourne forwards struggled to find the big sticks (exception Brad Green who has been a shining example of reliability this year). It would have been a brave act to rest Jamie Bennell after last week's four goal performance but he could have done with the break. Austin Wonaeamirri isn't quite up with the pace of the game after his lengthy injury lay off. I appreciate the fact that he had only played the one game in Darwin but I suspect that a few weeks back in the VFL would not have hurt him in his quest to return to his old powers. A fully rested Addam Maric, who has shown some recent form in the VFL, would have been an excellent replacement. I suppose in the final analysis the forwards had a good rest for most of the afternoon out there on the ground because they didn't have to do much other than watch their opponents clean up whenever the ball found its way into their vicinity.

My "give them all a rest" theory was, of course, vindicated by the performance of newcomer Jordan Gysberts who showed great composure for a first gamer, collected disposals at will and finished with a team-high 26 disposals. The promising first round draft pick from 2009 spent last week cooling his heels after three or four consecutive good performances with Casey. Apart from Green, he had few rivals for the mantle of his team's best player in an exciting debut game but next week, with the return of the Scullgoves and hopefully McKenzie, the future Demon midfield should be well and truly on display.

And the story of this game?

Geelong was in control from go to whoa kicking the first three and the last three goals of the game. If you were feeling charitable and took away those six goals then you might say Melbourne's performance was reasonable with all things considered. Hopefully, one day soon it won't be necessary to rationalise the outcome of games that way and - rest or no rest - we will be demanding a more full blooded contest from every Melbourne team that steps out on the field.

We saw what a great team like Geelong can do. They are wicked in the way they crush their opposition and, when you're that good, there is no rest for the wicked.

Melbourne 2.1.13 4.4.28 7.6.48 10.7.67

Geelong 5.5.35 9.6.60 14.8.92 18.13.121

Goals

Melbourne Green 3 Davey 2 Bennell Jetta Miller Morton Wonaeamirri

Geelong Podsiadly 5 Hawkins 4 Stokes 3 Ablett Johnson 2 Chapman Selwood

Best

Melbourne Green Gysberts Davey Moloney Frawley McDonald

Geelong Ablett Podsiadly Selwood Enright Stokes Chapman Varcoe Hawkins

injuries

Melbourne Garland (jarred knee)

Geelong Nil

Changes Nil

Reports Nil

Umpires Farmer, McLaren, Jennings

Crowd 24,525 at Skilled Stadium

just an aside while im thinking about it. the "darwin" syndrome.

the cats kicked the last goal in every quarter. in the 3rd they kicked the last two, and in the last they kicked the last 3 goals, for a total of 7 end of quarter goals.

not making excuses, just find it interesting.

We weren't disgraced, and I was happy with the pressure we put on them.

In the end their footskills killed us, and their delivery meant that our defenders had a tough day at the office. Not to mention that both Warnock and Rivers were smashed.

This game was always going to be a write off and now the task is to go out and SMASH Carlton.

Boys against men. We weren't disgraced. Too many went missing who can give much more (eg. Sylvia, Morton). Rivers a shocker, Frawley magnificent. Too much to ask of Watts. Great debut Gysberts. All too complicated for Kelli Underwood.

Im ok with this loss, as we rested the star kids and wasnt expecting a win, I believe we will be better off the next two weeks for the sacrifices we made. However I made some observations today.

Gysberts looks a star of the future with Scully, Grimes and Trengrove.

Our group of indigenious fwds are getting much better at forward pressure.

Green needs to become a fwd option.

Watts although we will give him time, he needs to show some desperation and be fearless. He looks a bit precious at the moment.

Our midfielders need to drop back when the opposition have the ball(dont be front runners) help the backline, dont make it one on one all the time.

No movement ahead of the ball to give the kicker an option?? So many times our kicks went to a tight 1 on 1 contest. Did we not have the ability / endurance to run into space?

Fair effort against the league's best. Starting to wonder what it will be like once Watts has played 50 games and finds himself alongside Bate, Petterd and Jurrah. Good times ahead. Great watching Gysberts show no fear of the contest and playing out the game full of run. Morton and Wonaeamirri need another month of football. A dark day for Rivers and I'll be expecting a hunting party after this on here and another forum. Thought Frawley was great on Johnson. Darwin sure is Hot!

Great watching Gysberts show no fear of the contest and playing out the game full of run.

Which is exactly what Watts needs to show. And a bit of effort to lead into space.

So many times our kicks went to a tight 1 on 1 contest. Did we not have the ability / endurance to run into space?

Or 3 on 1. Disappointing again to watch the forward line just dissolve. We made it easy for Geelong to have loose men all over our forwards. Impossible for a boy like Watts. Imagine when he's as tough & bulky as Podsiadly!

I thought the final margin was about right for the development gap between the two teams at the moment. Never nice to lose by that much (or lose at all) but I find it hard to be too disappointed about that one.

In my mind I've moved on already. Itching for next week against Carlton; that will be an interesting test for our developing team.

I thought the final margin was about right for the development gap between the two teams at the moment. Never nice to lose by that much (or lose at all) but I find it hard to be too disappointed about that one.

In my mind I've moved on already. Itching for next week against Carlton; that will be an interesting test for our developing team.

We were far from Disgraced & our debutant Midfielder ran with G Ablett incorporated & did very well. It was a positive day in a lot of respects.

Pity that Watts was well held, but the review tape on monday will be invaluable. Jack needs to watch Tom Hawkins-i see similarities between those 2. Hawkins is just starting to really impose himself now since 2007

Edited by why you little

Have to agree. Not really upset, other than seeing our forwardline seem totally out of whack once again, bar Green. Jamar was clearly not as dominant and it would seem last week really took it out of him. Rapt with Gys, Morton will be better for the run also.

Considering they had an 8 day break against our 6 and a half from NT, this result could have been a hell of a lot worse.

Back at the G next week, we are a chance against Carlton, especially with Sculls, Treners and Master certainties to come in you`d think!

Pity that Watts was well held, but the review tape on monday will be invaluable. Jack needs to watch Tom Hawkins-i see similarities between those 2. Hawkins is just starting to really impose himself now since 2007

Watts and Hawkins are (from memory) about 1cm different in height and 15kgs in weight. There's a good reason why Tom can impose himself now.

Jack doesn't need to watch Hawkins at all. He just needs to get bigger and fitter.

Watts and Hawkins are (from memory) about 1cm different in height and 15kgs in weight. There's a good reason why Tom can impose himself now.

Jack doesn't need to watch Hawkins at all. He just needs to get bigger and fitter.

I am Fast Forwarding Jack 3 Years ahead. He would do well to watch some Hawkins video.

Tom looked very much like Watts does now, back in 2007.

I am Fast Forwarding Jack 3 Years ahead. He would do well to watch some Hawkins video.

Tom looked very much like Watts does now, back in 2007.

F-that, I would hate to have Hawkins on our team. If Jack is to watch any video footage of any player, it should be Riewoldt. One of the leagues best, started out with similar expectations and weight-for-age figures, I want to see that commitment and development over the coming years.

Funny game, it was as though both teams agreed on the result before the game. Melbourne accepted a 7 goal loss (as it turned out it was 9), Geelong were happy to take it. If either team went outside the boundaries of the agreement, it would have hurt both teams (ie. intensity would have increased). They didn't, and as it turned out, it was as boring as bat $hit watching it.

Agree with most of that. Not to sure about being too hard on the forward line, the way it was coming in was pretty desperate much of the time.

Not to mention, look at Port this week ... probably no coincidence both teams went down. Darwin ... only before a week off for me!

Agree with most of that. Not to sure about being too hard on the forward line, the way it was coming in was pretty desperate much of the time.

Not to mention, look at Port this week ... probably no coincidence both teams went down. Darwin ... only before a week off for me!

I thought we battled manfully. Rivers is going to have to add a couple of strings to his bow or his career is going going gone unfortunately. Had a shocker today in every way. In a couple of years we will remember this day as the first day Gysberts set the world on fire for the MFC as part of our premiership midfield.

No i think Hawkins & Watts will be quite similiar players. That is my point. Jack first must Bulk Up, as Hawkins did.

If Hawkins has only 10% improvement left in him then I will be p1$$ed off if Watts is not alot better than him after 3 to 4 years. Hawkins didn't need to bulk up. He came near that size when he started.

Watts is a different player and hopefully a far better talent.

I rather Watts watch Police Academy tapes. :rolleyes:

Hawkins may struggle to hold his spot if Ottens comes back and Pods is kicking goals.

If Hawkins has only 10% improvement left in him then I will be p1$$ed off if Watts is not alot better than him after 3 to 4 years. Hawkins didn't need to bulk up. He came near that size when he started.

Watts is a different player and hopefully a far better talent.

I rather Watts watch Police Academy tapes. :rolleyes:

Hawkins may struggle to hold his spot if Ottens comes back and Pods is kicking goals.

You may be right. But Big Guys take longer & i think Hawkins will be the Player that Kosi isn't.

I watched Hawkins in the ruck 2 weeks ago. He will Hold his place in the side. Blake will not.