Melksham gets Rising star nomination

Dappa Dan

Now we all know it's a dud award. All the same I do like to follow it a bit just to add a bit of interest to the year's events.

Also, let me preface this by saying I reckon Melksham will be a gun, and it's no surprise to hear we would have taken him had he slipped to eleven. Congrats to the kid for the honour...

But...

He had 14 touches last week according to afl.com. If we're ALREADY at the stage where the league starts awarding nominations for past performances (In round 8???), then surely a McKenzie outing of 24 touches, albeit in a losing side, would have him preferred?

He's averaging over 20 possessions a game this year (5 more disposals per game than Melksham, and only a fraction behind Scully and Trengove), and has played two more games than Melksham.

Looks like McKenzie's tag of "most underrated" has started early in his career.

Edited by Dappa Dan

Now we all know it's a dud award. All the same I do like to follow it a bit just to add a bit of interest to the year's events.

Also, let me preface this by saying I reckon Melksham will be a gun, and it's no surprise to hear we would have taken him had he slipped to eleven. Congrats to the kid for the honour...

But...

He had 14 touches last week according to afl.com. If we're ALREADY at the stage where the league starts awarding nominations for past performances (In round 8???), then surely a McKenzie outing of 24 touches, albeit in a losing side, would have him preferred?

He's averaging over 20 possessions a game this year (5 more disposals per game than Melksham, and only a fraction behind Scully and Trengove), and has played two more games than Melksham.

Looks like McKenzie's tag of "most underrated" has started early in his career.

I hear you Dappa but winning football games is all I care about all these awards is media beat up and to be honest over rates players. Tik Tak wins a few hit outs and takes two marks in eight games of football and is a supposed shoe in ?? Come on !! Give me Mr Watts and Mr McKenzie any day.

Not sure why people get so upset about this type of stuff.

Who cares who gets nominated, and in the end, even the winner means nothing. Best performed young player in their first year. Big deal. Doesn't guarantee a great career.

Look at some past winners and see how their careers have unfolded.

Some have become champions [Riewoldt, Goodes, Cousins] and some have failed to live up to expectations [Michael Wilson, Rivers, Koschitzke, Pearce].

Yes, it's nice to be recognised in an award like this, but really, in the end, it means very little.

Hopefully McKenzie gets his nomination, but whether it is in round 8 or round 22, does it really matter.

Good player is Melksham.

McKenzie won't get a look in - wrong type of player. Who cares? We all know where he stands. The club knows where he stands. Jordie no doubt knows where he stands.

What do you mean wrong type of player ? Do you mean "blue collar worker" or "not a high draft pick"...or both.. :unsure:

I think his blood is worth bottling myself. A diamond in the rough. Quick hands, very quick reaction time whether at the pill or putting pressure on the ball carrier.

Unfortunately, the higher draft picks get a look in every time over "blue collar rookies"..or so it seems.

Give me Mr Watts and Mr McKenzie any day.

Yep. Happy with them. :)

He only got it 14 times, but they were quality possessions. The kid can play. I think he deserved the nom this week.

Mckenzie a little stiff, but if he keeps it up, no doubt he'll get one very soon.

What do you mean wrong type of player ? Do you mean "blue collar worker" or "not a high draft pick"...or both.. :unsure:

I think his blood is worth bottling myself. A diamond in the rough. Quick hands, very quick reaction time whether at the pill or putting pressure on the ball carrier.

Unfortunately, the higher draft picks get a look in every time over "blue collar rookies"..or so it seems.

Couldn't agree more. If he was a first round pick in the draft he would already have a nod. Where is his weakness? You expect a guy like this to look out of place in at least one facet of the game but he just doesn't.

I might even put 13 on my jumper, he just needs to get his tackling back to what it was at the start of the season.

Couldn't agree more. If he was a first round pick in the draft he would already have a nod. Where is his weakness? You expect a guy like this to look out of place in at least one facet of the game but he just doesn't.

I might even put 13 on my jumper, he just needs to get his tackling back to what it was at the start of the season.

By the look of him he looks as though he is playing well out of his weight division. But he is brilliant tackling. Watching him in the warm up, I have pure admiration for him. His preparation is good. More strength and development and he will be a very important player for us - he already is !. His intensity in contests sets a great example for his teammates which can be contagious. Good example for young kids too.

Bizarro world Yze

Melksham > McKenzie

That's not to say McKenzie's not a good player, because he is. But Melksham is going to be better.

And as Nasher said, who cares? We know McKenzie's good, the FD know it, Neil Craig knows it, hopefully he's understanding that he's good enough at AFL level.

He only got it 14 times, but they were quality possessions. The kid can play. I think he deserved the nom this week.

Mckenzie a little stiff, but if he keeps it up, no doubt he'll get one very soon.

Actually, he could keep it up all year but I have no doubt he'll never get nominated. As someone else said, wrong type of player. Doubt it would worry jordie one iota. He looks like a no frills type. Wouldn't give a stuff about awards. Just looks determined to give his all and make it in the AFL. Junior Junior is a good call. Love the kid, but he'll never be the type to be recognized as a 'star' and nor does he need to be. But to us he always will be... just like Senior Junior.

Those, pretty much.

I'm a huge fan of McKenzie, but he's an invisible type, much like James McDonald. Even on Demonland where we all know how good a player he is, yet he rarely gets much recognition in the player of the year votes. As someone said in this thread: Junior junior.

I agree that his blood is worth bottling.

Even on Demonland where we all know how good a player he is, yet he rarely gets much recognition in the player of the year votes. As someone said in this thread: Junior junior.

I agree that his blood is worth bottling.

I mentioned him. In fact, I gave him 6. Understand how he can be invisible or blend in. But I kept a watchful eye on him.

My Melksham brings all the Dons to the yard and they're like, "he's better than yours, damn right, he's better than yours, I could beat you, but I'd have to try."

I don't get it... what am I missing here Chook?

And to top it off Jordie is a cracking kid. Have met him a few times and he is just a really good, genuine guy with zero pretention. I love that we seem to be drafting not only high quality talent, but also kids who have a really great attitude. Good times ahead for this group.

It's because guys like McKenzie get overlooked and because Rivers is (from memory) the one and only defender to ever win this award, that it is rubbish and has no credibility. You basically have to kick 6 goals or have over 30 possessions to have any chance of getting a nomination if you are not a top 10 pick, you don't have outrageous hair and you don't play for a winning side. Because apparently it's easier for a kid to play in a losing side :blink:

If Naitanui wins the title this year, you may as well rename the award "NAB Possible Talent and a lot of Marketing Value Award".

It's because guys like McKenzie get overlooked and because Rivers is (from memory) the one and only defender to ever win this award, that it is rubbish and has no credibility. You basically have to kick 6 goals or have over 30 possessions to have any chance of getting a nomination if you are not a top 10 pick, you don't have outrageous hair and you don't play for a winning side. Because apparently it's easier for a kid to play in a losing side :blink:

If Naitanui wins the title this year, you may as well rename the award "NAB Possible Talent and a lot of Marketing Value Award".

bastinac, hannebery, banfield?? come on the awards not that bad. tayte pears was rewarded for a super consistent year without ever being spectacular, i'm sure jordie will get his nod if he keeps up his consistent form. also if that's a shot at nicnats nomination he was adjudged BOG by both coaches, would of been as ridiculous as scully not being nominated in round 7.

Edited by volders