Nathan Jones

Bang Bang Bang

watching the tigers replay, Jones took on the tackler and came up trumps. Funny what confidence can do.

We were playing the tiges, for heavens sake. As my daughter said, we were "bigger", not to mention more experienced.

How many of our players have played finals at this level?

Always Nr Negative

As with most posts on this forum, my opinions are just that, opinions.

I prefer to think of myself as pragmatic, rather than negative. :)

Plaese agree that Melbourne have improved from 2009

Agreed

You over rate finals pressure like the media do

Leon Davis is the classic example. Great (media words, not mine) player; disaster finals player - 2 years in a row

:)

For crying out loud, the guy is 22 and for 2 - 3 years has been basically out best "extractor". He has been under a lot of pressure by virtue of the quality of our midfield. Put a guy like that in a good side, he would be a dead set gun. It's no coincidence that he is performing when those around him are performing better.

Have we become so good or are people such keyboard heroes that we have nothing better to do than find fault in a 22 year old that has been holding our midfield together for 3 years and is performing terrifically at the moment?

I have always maintained once Nathan Jones learned to recognise his limitations and learned a balance between attack and defence he would become a very valuable member of our midfield.

He with Davey is our most creative midfielder. These two midfielders would be considered by opposition coaches our most dangerous midfielders and the ones to stop.

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

I have always maintained once Nathan Jones learned to recognise his limitations and learned a balance between attack and defence he would become a very valuable member of our midfield.

He with Davey is our most creative midfielder. These two midfielders would be considered by opposition coaches our most dangerous midfielders and the ones to stop.

The way i see it, Jones has finally stopped putting himself under so much pressure. Last few years the guy was hell bent on trying to break tackles and break the lines with his pace. He finally understands that if he tries this he either gets caught and gives up a free kick or he puts himself under so much pressure that his disposal is woeful.

I haven't seen him take on the tackler so much this year.

I think you're right - he is picking and choosing his spots much better instead of trying to take on the whole world.

He broke a few tackles in the Richmond game, but they were ones you could tell he could break.

He wasn't trying to do it against the odds.

Whether that was pure coincidence of that match or a conscious effort remains to be seen.

Nathan Jones will continue to get better as the midfield and therefore his support gets better. Previously his skills, decision making and even pace were perceied questionable; but this was really becauce he did not have the time needed to execute them. Time is something that his teamates can and are now providing; blocks, shephards, tackles, pressure and fitness (making the contest, and being effective at it) all contribute. Also he has pretty much copped the number one tag from the age of 20 which doesn't help (particularily without support).

Now what does Jones have in common with: Bail, Bartram, Frawley, Garland, Jurrah, Petterd, Wonaemirri? Most of whom, are considered developing or good investments for the future.

You over rate finals pressure like the media do

Its still a game of Football albeit with more at stake

If you dont put pressure on the opposition in a final you lose (its that simple)

These are the games when "playing the game above the shoulders" has most rellavance

While Mono is slightly unfair on Jones, his comment on the importance of finals pressure is spot on.

We need to see whether the form exhibited by Jones against lowly Crows and Tigers is continued against better teams.

But September football is a different level of football to the H&A games. Its more intense and theres more pressure and front runners like Davis and Didak get found out badly.

Jones has time to improve. He has been better this year but must maintain and raise the level with the crop of talented players we have coming through.

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

I think that the thing was that Nath was a tough big body type of player in the junior leagues. He was used to breaking tackles and taking guys on physically because he was a big body in TAC and the like. However, when he came to the big dance he thought he could exert the same physicality and bravado that he had grown up with. Unfortunately when he came to the AFL he brought with him the same attitude that he had as junior.

I think he has learnt from his mistakes and lost the attitude a bit and is now playing great footy

I think that the thing was that Nath was a tough big body type of player in the junior leagues. He was used to breaking tackles and taking guys on physically because he was a big body in TAC and the like. However, when he came to the big dance he thought he could exert the same physicality and bravado that he had grown up with. Unfortunately when he came to the AFL he brought with him the same attitude that he had as junior.

I think he has learnt from his mistakes and lost the attitude a bit and is now playing great footy

I disagree, every supporter has long recognised that part of his game includes taking on tackles and usually getting caught. There is no doubt the footy department is aware of this too, and it is unreasonable to think he has been told not to do this but is doing it anyway (if that was the case he would be dropped) Therefore I conclude that the coaching stuff must be backing him to try and develop himself as this sort of player. I think he will just get better and better at it and eventually be able to smash through more regularly, which will make him very damaging. Think Paul Chapman or our own Beamer who they could not bring down last week

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

I disagree, every supporter has long recognised that part of his game includes taking on tackles and usually getting caught. There is no doubt the footy department is aware of this too, and it is unreasonable to think he has been told not to do this but is doing it anyway (if that was the case he would be dropped) Therefore I conclude that the coaching stuff must be backing him to try and develop himself as this sort of player. I think he will just get better and better at it and eventually be able to smash through more regularly, which will make him very damaging. Think Paul Chapman or our own Beamer who they could not bring down last week

C&B what exactly do you disagree with? Jones has definately curtailed his tackle breaking methods this year. Has found much more space and has used huis first option more. No one said he had been told to do anything. I think he has just worked out his limitations. Maybe he has been watching videos of himself or soemthing. Quiet word from West about worrying about getting the pill and not taking on the man is what i believe is likely to have taken place.

Neither of us really know. What we do know is he is playing great footy and not getting caught as often

Edited by Balls_Grinter_14

C&B what exactly do you disagree with? Jones has definately curtailed his tackle breaking methods this year. Has found much more space and has used huis first option more. No one said he had been told to do anything. I think he has just worked out his limitations. Maybe he has been watching videos of himself or soemthing. Quite word from West about worrying about getting the pill and not taking on the man is what i believe is likely to have taken place.

Neither of us really know. What we do know is he is playing great footy and not getting caught as often

Obviously everything that a player does on the field is done by a matter of instruction from the FD, then it is reviewed and discussed. I don't imagine he just elects on any given day how he is going to go about it, they are all very well informed and aware of exactly what it is the coach wants them to be doing... TBH I am not sure I have noticed a significant difference in his tackle-breaking, and if it is the case could it not just be circumstantial.. anyway I guess my point is that over his career up to this point I cannot imagine he was playing the way he was playing if it wasn't something Bails had given blessing for

I disagree. In the finals is where he will be found out - there is no evidence that he can perform under a 'pressure cooker' atmosphere.

The biggest thing with finals is how physical they are. If there's ONE thing Jones has proven he's capable of doing, it's taking a hit and keeping on going. Since he was 18 he's been a tough nut. He's built for finals. I look forward to someone dredging up this thread in a few years when he kicks us into a Prelim or GF.

C&B what exactly do you disagree with? Jones has definately curtailed his tackle breaking methods this year. Has found much more space and has used huis first option more. No one said he had been told to do anything. I think he has just worked out his limitations. Maybe he has been watching videos of himself or soemthing. Quiet word from West about worrying about getting the pill and not taking on the man is what i believe is likely to have taken place.

Or he is getting more support from a dominant ruckman, more and better midfielders rotating through. Which means he has more time, gets more shepherds, builds more confidence....

It's crap that Jones would have been told not to take on the man. The FD gives the opposite instruction.