Someone please tell Bruce not to run sideways

Eth

It's not like he's under much pressure. Many times today we ran the ball out of defence so smoothly through the corridor and then Bruce gets it, sees an opponent 5-10 metres away and panics. And every time he then proceeded to run sideways towards the wing, often handpassing or kicking to a player out there, allowing Adelaide to flood (as they did today). Why would he do that? I think kicking it straight to a contested situation is way better, at least we have a chance of a set shot or for someone to rove the pack and eventually kick a goal. And if he did kick it to a pack and into the hands of an Adelaide player, they struggled to get it into their forward 50 anyway. This is silly for our second-most experienced player to put himself and his team under pressure. Not a good example for our young stars.

He won't get dropped though, that's the thing. He's too experienced.

Today’s game is played as a ball control affair. You have to have the ball to win the game. Hit up targets in front, beside and behind you. Do not kick it too a contested situation unless totally no other options.

Bruce’s skills have been debated to death on here are not great. He was very good after half time today playing in defence and pushing hard forward.

Also the majority of players do it not just a whipping boy like Bruce. That horse has been flogged already give it a rest.

It's not like he's under much pressure. Many times today we ran the ball out of defence so smoothly through the corridor and then Bruce gets it, sees an opponent 5-10 metres away and panics. And every time he then proceeded to run sideways towards the wing, often handpassing or kicking to a player out there, allowing Adelaide to flood (as they did today). Why would he do that? I think kicking it straight to a contested situation is way better, at least we have a chance of a set shot or for someone to rove the pack and eventually kick a goal. And if he did kick it to a pack and into the hands of an Adelaide player, they struggled to get it into their forward 50 anyway. This is silly for our second-most experienced player to put himself and his team under pressure. Not a good example for our young stars.

He won't get dropped though, that's the thing. He's too experienced.

i think he may have lost nearly all confidence in hitting as target with his kicks.

It appears that way, he just doesn't seem to back himself anymore.

i think he may have lost nearly all confidence in hitting as target with his kicks.

It appears that way, he just doesn't seem to back himself anymore.

Maybe some extra kicking practice will spur his confidence :P

It's not like he's under much pressure. Many times today we ran the ball out of defence so smoothly through the corridor and then Bruce gets it, sees an opponent 5-10 metres away and panics. And every time he then proceeded to run sideways towards the wing, often handpassing or kicking to a player out there, allowing Adelaide to flood (as they did today). Why would he do that?

I can tell you why.

Because he had no one to kick it to in the forward line. He looks up, sees no options and as a result is forced to chip and handpass sideways.

You know it's funny. I bag Bruce's kicking as much as the next guy (let's face it, it's no great.) But I turned to my girlfriend who I was sitting with today, right on the fence at todays game as she uttered "he's a classy player sometimes isn't he?" Bruce had successfully started another d50 rebound and all I could do was nod. 2nd half Bruce stood up, and his kicking was still poor, ie: that shot for goal, but he tries as hard as anyone one the team (tick in the first box for me) and he reads the play as well as most in our team. Fact is he takes an opposition player out of teh game well. You clowns bagging him were the ones lauding him for his efforts on Tarrant 5 years ago come Queens b'day, now you cane him for doing a similar job on lesser light players. Enough of this garbage. I thought he was ok today. Not our best but earned selection next week, what more do you want?

I can tell you why.

Because he had no one to kick it to in the forward line. He looks up, sees no options and as a result is forced to chip and handpass sideways.

I explained that in my post. At least kick it to a contest where Jamar or Bate or Petterd could pull off a contested mark. If not, rove it.

You know it's funny. I bag Bruce's kicking as much as the next guy (let's face it, it's no great.) But I turned to my girlfriend who I was sitting with today, right on the fence at todays game as she uttered "he's a classy player sometimes isn't he?" Bruce had successfully started another d50 rebound and all I could do was nod. 2nd half Bruce stood up, and his kicking was still poor, ie: that shot for goal, but he tries as hard as anyone one the team (tick in the first box for me) and he reads the play as well as most in our team. Fact is he takes an opposition player out of teh game well. You clowns bagging him were the ones lauding him for his efforts on Tarrant 5 years ago come Queens b'day, now you cane him for doing a similar job on lesser light players. Enough of this garbage. I thought he was ok today. Not our best but earned selection next week, what more do you want?

exactly. every error he makes people on this site scrutinize. also i think his directing of traffic goes unoticed. dont get me wrong he makes errors, sometimes due to lack of confidence/judgement/skill

all is well to voice your opinion, but i think this needless bruce/bate bashing is uncalled for & ignorant. wake up.

exactly. every error he makes people on this site scrutinize. also i think his directing of traffic goes unoticed. dont get me wrong he makes errors, sometimes due to lack of confidence/judgement/skill

all is well to voice your opinion, but i think this needless bruce/bate bashing is uncalled for & ignorant. wake up.

I'm wide awake buddy. And I am voicing my opinion, my opinion is that for such an experienced player, Bruce shouldn't have made so many mistakes as he did in the first half. I'll admit his second was much better though.

And I'm not a Bate basher, I really like the guy :D

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Bruce is an interesting one: He will get 20+ touches week in and week out. 15 will be so nice you won't notice and 5 will be yuk or put a player under pressure. Maybe the 5 drive us mad but the 15 make a big difference to the side. It's not going to change but giving of those 15ish to get rid of the 5ish will not make us a better side.

Edit - and I don't look at stats so if somebody wants to post that he runs at 67.85% efficiency or whatever don't expect me to care.

Edited by Rojik of the Arctic

Bruce has been our weakest performer in the 3 rounds so far.However, like Bate they are were very much lacking match fitness.Nearly ready to fire both of them.Watch out Toigs.

At times the Dee supporters were screaming "just kick it" which is natural but sadly we didnt have anyone to kick it to.

I thought a few times our players didnt take on the tackler and so Bruce and others went sideways.

One example was Aaron Davey who was on the northern wing carrying the ball and facing a larger player one on one.

Rather than take him on and pass him - he centred the ball made the target but then the forward momentum was lost.

I think we need to use our speed to more effect.

The posistive here is that we are relying on him less and less as younger guys overtake him as players, the same couldn't be said for McDonald or Green.

Bruce seems to struggle with the game plan, at times it looks like he is forcing himself to play the carry/handball game plan when the situation doesn't really call for it. But he is still useful and we will bounce back from this game.

Bruce has been our weakest performer in the 3 rounds so far.However, like Bate they are were very much lacking match fitness.Nearly ready to fire both of them.Watch out Toigs.

Scully has been one of the worst. As per the stats he had 6 clangers against the woods and the same sunday.

I am not saying to drop him but he turns it over the most

Fair enough is someone vents about a player once or twice, but this is getting ridiculous. Bruce was indeed toweled in the first half yesterday, but then worked himself into the game with grit and determination....

Most of the team was poor in the first half, Bruce (like many) demanded a better performance from themselves in the second. I am quite critical of Bruce usually but i actually thought he was quite creative in some passages from the backline. Kicking for goal should be better but he was not our worst, but just a solid contributor.