forum footy lightning premiership

rollinson 65

Lads.

I had an ABSOLUTE blast on Sunday. When everyone asked what I did on the weekend and I said "play footy" they look at me like I'm joking, but I have much pleasure in saying that I ran around with a top bunch of blokes and got some wins.

All credit for the Saints, Pies and Blues for turning up and putting on a show - especially the Blues who threw it down to us in the final - for a while there, I thought we were gone.

MASSIVE thank you's to Rollo, WJ, his fellow coach on the whiteboard - it was a massive task organising 30 blokes to get equal game time, and the gents who ran/organised the drinks (massive thing of Powerade and copious amounts of cold water, it was definitely appreciated)

Great bunch of blokes and a pleasure to run around with. Look forward to the next one, if anyone will take us on. Look forward to reading the match report and seeing the photos of the day. I noticed there's already about half-a-dozen up on the Facebook page.

It's a Grand Old Flag. Go Dees.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must concur what's already been said here... Well done yesterday boys, was an awesome day, despite the heat, running around again with the all-conquering Demons...!!! Went straight to the beach with Jez after leaving the pub. Unfortunately, my heel has blown up to the size of a tennis ball and is purple and sore as hell. Going to get some x-rays done tomorrow to determine if there's a crack/fracture in there, fingers-crossed there's not. I'm going overseas to asia on Friday!!!!!!!!! Beaches won't be too much fun in a cast.

ps: i am neva getting on the [censored] again on a saturday night! first thing i did at the pub was walk straight to the toilet and chuck up! glad u found it funny doggo!

As if mate, you'll be back on it next sat'day, no doubt! ;)

It was a funny moment though, you looked like you'd just seen a ghost when u walked out the bathroom. Played a couple of bloody good games yesterday though mate, well done!

Score update: we pumped saints 20 goals to 1 solid performance looking good for final

Ha! :lol:

ps: i am neva getting on the [censored] again on a saturday night! first thing i did at the pub was walk straight to the toilet and chuck up! glad u found it funny doggo!

Should done it on the field and boasted 'gut running!'

I promise to never whinge about playing or umpiring on a windy or wet day ever again!

Running (walking!) around in that heat is way harder!!!

Thanks for letting me get involved in some way on the day - you guys really played well as a team and were very disciplined. Also good to chat further with some of you at the pub - great way to end the day. If only The beach was round the corner!

"Also in my haste to get out of there I left my #34 Kaspersky jumper behind. Could whoever was wearing it please let me know."

hey, mercado, your jumper has turned up with the spare jumpers, and is being washed as we speak...

I live in the bush, but am just about weekly in melbourne...

give me a ring on 0408 698 328 and we can work out how best to get it back to you...

have started on the offical game summary, and hope to get it posted in the next day or so...

Lovely, will do. Once I'm back in some kind of fit state again :blink:

Guest grimes4

bloody good day down at vic park. Thanks heaps Rollo for organising everything and giving us a game. Dad also enjoyed helping out WJ with the coaching and white board. damn long and hot drive back to geelong after tho, didnt help the muscles the next day. Cant wait for the next one!!

Pringle is indeed onto it. The link to the photos and video is below. If someone sends a match report and new headline, I will paste them in (best headline and as many articles as people want to send; I'll whack them all in).

I hope this works.

Forum Foty - Articles, Photos and Video

Edited by pringle

Pringle is indeed onto it. The link to the photos and video is below. If someone sends a match report and new headline, I will paste them in (best headline and as many articles as people want to send; I'll whack them all in).

I hope this works.

Awesome work pringle! Video is quite slow loading but I can wait, pics look great.

Just as the others said thanks to WJ Rollo and all the other helpers for a great day, had a great time and some good wins. Still got a couple of grazes on the knees that won't go away but well worth it.

Cheers,

TSF

It is very slow. Don't know why it doesn't play properly on the slideshow. Audio seems to work fine, but not the footage. Oh well. This was my first ever attempt at using iPhoto, and I think it turned out ok. I'd fix the typo ("with gusto" instead of "wigusto"), but can't be arsed right now. gotta go get my free grill'd burger for participating in Movember.

And guys, remember anyone interested, I would love to put your headline/s and article/s into the link.

I hope this works.

Love your work pringle.

MATCH REPORT 1

I would like to start this time with the “boring people”...

The ones we always forget, but who make it possible...

Brettmcg... brilliant job organising our umpires, I know the effort involved, can’t thank you enough...

Our umpires... james, jeff, scott, tyler, Brettmcg, Jo... a flawless performance...such an important part of our game, it is only when you are not noticed that we know you are putting in a top performance... many thanks, guys (and girl)...

Jo... special word of thanks for Jo, our only ever female player...Jo was down to play, but volunteered to run the boundary when we were one boundary ump short...thanks,mate..

Bringbackbarassi...assistant coach, timekeeper and photographer...many thanks for coming, great job...

Ucanchoose..assistant coach...past player(injured) who came to help...thanks, mate...

Rod...father of grimes4 (I think)... great job as interchange steward...

Water bringers...at the start of the day, we had this great pile of extra water that could never be used...at the end of the day, it was all gone...can’t remember all the people who contributed, but it was a fantastic effort...

Whispering Jack...thanks again for coaching...we have a 100% win/loss record with you and redleg as coaches, and with redleg missing this time, you will always be 2 up on him...way to go, jack !!

MATCH REPORT 2

Sunday, 8 November 2009

It was hot, oppressively hot...

But Victoria Park is a fantastic venue, with lush grass and shady stands...many thanks to the pies for organising the venue, toilets, running water etc..we acknowledge the time and effort involved...

FIRST GAME

Our first game was against the pies and was something of a training drill...

Many thanks to mat, Jason, jez and greg, who volunteered to play for the pies and did well in an overwhelmed outfit, with mat kicking the pies’ solitary goal...

We dominated all over the field...

At FF, Heater set up the pattern of the game with strong leads and accurate kicking for goal, and relentless pressure on the pies’ defence...Heater may not admit it, but the delivery of the ball to him was pretty good too...

With winners all over the field, the voting for the “Dannie” award for best dees player (named after Dannie Seow) included Heater, Charlesy, the Russian, dazzledavey36, Toot182, scotty, deemitch, Tassie_Dee and Tom2, with Heater winning in the tightest vote we have had for these “best player”awards...

Final scores: Dees 17.7. 109 def Pies 1.2.8

(we understand this is the highest winning margin ever in forum footy)...

Goals: Heater 4, Charlesy 4, Scotty 3, Haydo 2, deemitch, the Russian, Tom1, Tassie_Dee...

We then had to watch the blues 5.8. 38 beat the saints 4.2. 26, and then we had another enforced rest watching the losers play... the saints beat the pies 9.6. 60 to 4.7. 31...

MATCH REPORT 3 – THE FINAL

Leading up to the final, grant and greg volunteered to play for the blues, grant having starred for us at FB against the pies and greg having starred for the pies...

It gets me that in the game summary on talkingcarlton, all they could say was that one of the best players for them was “the guy who played at FB” – no mention that he was a borrowed dees player...

We did not think it was going to be another training drill, but we were complacent...

The blues worked out an effective game plan...heater, scotty and our other forwards were close-checked by quality players and the blues put a spare player in their backline...

Our mid-field was better, but the blues had some quality players in there, so they were always going to get some scoring opportunities...

Final part of the plan was their quality KPPs up forward, who would convert the occasional blues’ forays forward into goals...

The plan worked for way too long...

In the first half of the game, our forwards were forced onto the flanks, and tried to kick goals from impossible angles...

We dominated possession, but could not score goals, only points...

Time after time, Tom1, Tom2, dazzledavey36 and their mates in the middle sent us forward, but the forwards were forced wide and tried to shoot miracle goals, handing back possession to the blues...

And the blues in the middle inevitably got their hands on the ball from time to time, went forward clinically, and delivered the ball to quality forwards who scored majors almostt every single time ...

At the end of the first half, we had had 9 scoring shots to 3, but led by 1 solitary point, 2.7 19 to 3.0 18...

Our only goals in one half of footy were kicked by running players, Charlesy and Tassie_Dee...

Despite a patient address by WJ at the break, the second half was a nightmare repeat of the first half until the blues, with the momentum going all their way, hit the lead again with 6 minutes to go...

Our forwards were blanketed, and the blues still had a spare player in defence...

Our only two goals of the half (to keep the lead and regain the lead) had come from running players Charlesy and mat...

And then the blues hit the lead, with 6 minutes to go...

Leadership cannot be defined, but we all know it when we see it...

Wordlessly, soundlessly, wolfmother, funky41 and Tassie_Dee positioned themselves in the mid-field and made sure that every contest was a win for the dees or a ball-up...

The blues could not go forward, and their heads went down...

Dees heads all over the field went up, our relentless running game took over, and our defenders came to the mid-field to keep the impenetrable wall in place...

The blues’ quality KPPs in defence did not gve an inch, but they were swamped...

Dazzledavey36 ran through the lines to level the scores...

And in the final 4-5 minutes, it rained goals for the dees, with forwards scotty and wonnabeeri, and runners Toot182 and Tassie_Dee set up for majors...

Believe me, the final scores did not reflect the contest...

Final scores: Dees 9.8. 62 def Blues 6.2. 38

There were many candidates for the “vinnie” award for best dees player ( named for vin catoggio) including dazzledavey36, Charlesy, Tassie_Dee, Toot182, deemitch, and many others, but the unanimous choice was dazzledavey36...

I am exhausted reliving this...

Exhaustive player by player analysis will follow in a day or so, work permitting...

Edited by rollinson 65

Great stuff Rollo and I suppose it would be remiss of me not to deliver a little bit of a coaches report as well. It was so bloody hot on Sunday that it's all still a bit hazy (it took me two days to recover and I didn't even go out on the ground) so it might still take a little bit of time to collect all of my thoughts but here's an executive summary:

1. The team was fantastic and virtually coached itself so I was somewhat superfluous other than that for most of the time (and with thanks to Rod Taylor for his help) all I was doing was ringing in the interchanges and rotating players. Hard work but hardly what I'd call coaching. Thanks also to everyone who helped including Demon Revival, Ron Lewis, Bring Back Barassi, the very professional umpires, ball boys, linespersons and the lady at the bar at the Park Hotel at the end (whatever she served gave me enough succor to get back home that evening). And the players themselves - great performance to go out there in 34 degree heat and play a contact sport even at social level and you did it in great spirit.

2. Special mention to those who helped out the other teams that were short of players. As I said at the beginning of the game, it's the supreme sacrifice, not just in sport but in life itself, to turn up at a place like Victoria Park dressed in the famous red and blue colours and then to have to change them to black and white stripes. Shit happens (caveat emptor) but it truly was a magnificent sacrifice and I thank you all (especially Matt who kicked Collingwood's only goal) - playing in the granny and then holding up the premiership cup would have been made it all a more meaningful experience. To Grant, who I thought close to our best in the first game mainly at full back (!), it was a terrific gesture volunteering to help out Carlton in the grand final. I gave Grant a few minutes in the game for us, took him off and released him to the Blues (much to the chagrin of some of the onlookers). I thought Grant was terrific in the ruck for the Blues and almost turned things in their favour but I had faith in our boys and they brought home the bacon (it's ok, Joe Gutnick wasn't in attendance).

3. From the above it should be obvious that the entire event was a fantastic social occasion played in great spirit and with some fine efforts from a great bunch of blokes, most of who can really play footy. We also blooded some good young blokes including, just quietly one or two 14 year olds who should go on to play plenty of quality footy in the future. Thanks again guys!

4. Well done to our opposition and thank you. It's always a pleasure to win against Carlton in a big game (we let them know we were coming and cooked up a surprise for them). It was also particularly satisfying to win a competition involving Luke Ball's old team and the one he wants to play for in the future. Quite frankly, after the spirit and endeavour shown by my boys, I can't understand what possesses him to make his choices.

5. Supermercado suffered a slight crack in the elbow - get well soon mate. I'm also looking forward to your report on Every Day is like Sunday - it should be a ripper.

6. Haydo, I still have your brand new footy in my boot. Please contact me to arrange collection and pay the ransom. :rolleyes:

7. To Redleg who passed up the opportunity to co-coach because of an invitation to see a new stud farm (he went to see horses do what? :wub: ) and to Dean Bailey who has, in the last two years coached less winning teams than I, there's one message for you guys - eat your hearts out! ;)

8. And finally to Rollo - again magnificently done. Only a lawyer could organise things so brilliantly. Pity it all ran so late and you had to miss the after game due to having to catch the train to Wangaratta. I hope VLine was on time for a change.

Hope we can do this all again one day soon - perhaps in 20 degree and not 34 degree heat, Mr. Weather Bureau.

No. Because I don't even know how... I was on there one morning, then one afternoon I couldn't get on there... some [censored] has reported me for breaking the rules, rules which I don't even believe I broke... If i ever find out why, I will reveal, but it was probably hacked and lemonparty displayed or something like that...