Port Offered us Picks 8 and 9 for pick 2

Satan

to try and snare trengove according to the HS . We knocked back the offer. ( Can draft picks be swapped? if not then the story is lacking the player in the swap to make the deal above board).

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jack...f-1225786427512

(corrected spelling for Hightower :lol: )

Edited by Satan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, draft picks can be swapped, and were swapped this year.

Not surprised by the offer... Sydney made a similar request to Richmond for pick 3. Thing with this draft is, if you don't have a top 4 or 5 pick, your chance of picking up an elite player is slim... on the flipside if you do have a top 4 or 5 pick you are more guaranteed than any other draft in history to recruit an elite player. That's how the clubs see this draft... extremely strong early on (1-5), good to average after that (6-15), and the rest is a lucky dip. We've certainly hit the jackpot this year with our picks... I don't think people realise just how good picks 1 and 2 are this year compared with previous years.

to try and snare trengrove according to the HS . We knocked back the offer. ( Can draft picks be swapped? if not then the story is lacking the player in the swap to make the deal above board).

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jack...f-1225786427512

This is driving me nuts now.

It's not just you satan. It's the bloody Herald Sun too - *See heading of article* -

Check spelling on Trengove.

Hello...

It is TRENGOVE.

All this really tells us is the dees have picks 1&2 locked with players, and port still is unsure who they will be taking with those picks. Obviously hard to lock picks 8 & 9 as the pick before them determine who is available, what it does tell us is that picks 1 & 2 seem to be head of the class.

In an uncompromised draft we would have been stupid not to take this deal, in a draft stunted for talent I understand and support the dees holding on to the first two picks this year.

I am wondering how picks 11, 18 and 34 pan out for us.

All this really tells us is the dees have picks 1&2 locked with players, and port still is unsure who they will be taking with those picks. Obviously hard to lock picks 8 & 9 as the pick before them determine who is available, what it does tell us is that picks 1 & 2 seem to be head of the class.

Not necessarily. Port may well know but it depends on who is available. I am trying to think of a year where picks 1 & 2 werent seemingly head of the class

In an uncompromised draft we would have been stupid not to take this deal, in a draft stunted for talent I understand and support the dees holding on to the first two picks this year.

An uncompromised draft does not ensure that is no or a lesser gap than this year between picks 1 and 2 and 8&9.

This is driving me nuts now.

It's not just you satan. It's the bloody Herald Sun too - *See heading of article* -

Check spelling on Trengove.

Hello...

It is TRENGOVE.

When you read it do you actually get frustrated? or is it more of a comical thing?

You can't be that anal.

Edited by Mr Morton

When you read it do you actually get frustrated? or is it more of a comical thing?

Didn't bother me for a while until now. Once I saw the article posted it was frustration for the first time. More annoying than comical. I have the feeling this will be a regular occurrence over his career. Much like Russell Robinson.

So I'll take a deep breath from here on in.

Didn't bother me for a while until now. Once I saw the article posted it was frustration for the first time. More annoying than comical. I have the feeling this will be a regular occurrence over his career. Much like Russell Robinson.

Brent Maloney

[/q

Take a huuuuuge breath because no doubt you will be hearing it a lot in the future. He may as well change his name by depol to Trengrove to spare the frustration.

Take a huuuuuge breath because no doubt you will be hearing it a lot in the future. He may as well change his name by depol to Trengrove to spare the frustration.

You mean like deed poll did?

Pick 8 + 9 for 2 is a big offer

A bit like Sydney's 6 + 14 for Richmoond's 3

It's going to be interesting to see how the 1st round pans out over time given these offers to get into the pointy end.

Edited by old55

If there was ever a draft to have the top two picks in, this is it.

Last year it was an small incremental decline as you went down the pecking order, right from number 1.

This year there really seems to be these two absolute standouts. Everyone else has either slid down the order (e.g. Butcher) or is considered very good but not at that 'super' level.

2009 also looks like a very good draft to have first round picks rather than second round, again there is a 'dip' it seems.

And might just be a very good draft to have PSD Pick 1. Best since the last time Collingwood were told to F off at the trade table. :)

There are usually tiers of quality early in the draft with a few standouts. Since 2000 I think there is a line that you can draw on most drafts. This doesn't mean that there aren't really good players available afterwards, but the obvious elite talent falls off.

2000 - Riewoldt, Kosi, Didak ............ Livingston, McDougall.

2001- Hodge, Ball, Judd .............. Polak, X Clarke, Sampi

2002 - Goddard, Wells .............. Brennan, Walsh

2003 - Cooney ............. Walker, Sylvia, Ray

2004 - Deledio, Roughead, Griffin, Tambling, Franklin ............. Williams, Lewis, Meesen

2005 - Murphy ............. Thomas, Ellis, Kennedy

2006 - Gibbs .............. Gumbleton, Hansen, Leuenberger

2007 - Kreuzer, Cotchin, (Masten), Morton ............ Grant, Myers - Masten is a bit of an anomaly as there were probably other factors affecting his selection over Morton.

Some of these are more pronounced than others, such as 2000, 2002, 2003 and 2004, while it is hard to differentiate the 2005 and 2006 drafts.

Most of the talk seems to be that there are 2, 3 or 4 that are real quality at the top end, but history may show differently. Although if Port Power believes that pick 2 is better than picks 8 and 9 put together (although didn't appear to offer that for pick 3) and Sydney thinks pick 3 is better than picks 6 and 14 put together (although didn't offer that for pick 4) then I think it shows the value of picks 1 and 2 this year.

Robinson is definitely the worst.

I'm kind o hoping that give it 3-5 years and people will be calling Jackson TrengRove, by our new recruit's name, instead of the other way round.

You can't blame Port for trying but you also can't blame us for laughing them out of the room.

When did MFC do that? I would hope they didn't. It would be small minded and unprofessional to do so.

pick 8 and 9 for pick 2 is a deal worth thinking about it.

In this draft given the assessment of the top 10 and the margin between the best 3 the potential picks at 8 and 9, it would be ludicrous.

We have in our sights two quality blue chip midfielders of real class and character. Why cash one of them in for a lottery of lesser quality?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

• Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

WARNING by William from Waalitj

As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a  danger game awaits. The locals are no longer the easybeats who stumbled, fumbled and bumbled their way to the good fortune of gathering the number one draft pick and a generational player in Harley Reid last year. They are definitely better than they were then.   Young Harley has already proven his worth with some stellar performances for a first year kid playing among men. He’s taken hangers, k

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 1

OVER YET? by KC from Casey

The Friday evening rush hour clash of two of the VFL’s 2024 minnows, Carlton and the Casey Demons was excruciatingly painful to watch, even if it was for the most part a close encounter. I suppose that since the game had to produce a result (a tie would have done the game some justice), the four points that went to Casey with the win, were fully justified because they went to the best team. In that respect, my opinion is based on the fact that the Blues were a lopsided combination that had

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

CENTIMETRES by Whispering Jack

Our game is one where the result is often decided by centimetres; the touch of a fingernail, a split-second decision made by a player or official, the angle of vision or the random movement of an oblong ball in flight or in its bounce and trajectory. There is one habit that Melbourne seems to have developed of late in its games against Carlton which is that the Demons keep finding themselves on the wrong end of the stick in terms of the fine line in close games at times when centimetres mak

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

PREGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

The Demons have a 10 day break before they head on the road to Perth to take on the West Coast Eagles at Optus Stadium on Sunday. Who comes in and who goes out?

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 377

PODCAST: Rd 09 vs Carlton

The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Sunday, 12th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the MCG against the Blues in the Round 09. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE:

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 29

VOTES: Rd 09 vs Carlton

Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Jake Lever, Jack Viney & Clayton Oliver make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 39

POSTGAME: Rd 09 vs Carlton

The Demons were blown out of the water in the first quarter and clawed their way back into the contest but it was a case of too little too late as they lost another close one to Carlton losing by 1 point at the MCG.  

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 486

GAMEDAY: Rd 09 vs Carlton

It's Game Day and the Demons are once again headlining another blockbuster at the MCG to kick off the round of footy. The Dees take on the Blues and have the opportunity to win their third game on the trot to solidify a spot in the Top 4 in addition to handing the Blues their third consecutive defeat to bundle them out of the Top 8.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 959

MELBOURNE BUSINESS by The Oracle

In days of old, this week’s Thursday night AFL match up between the Demons and the Blues would be framed on the basis of the need to redress the fact that Carlton “stole” last year’s semi final away from Melbourne and with it, their hopes for the premiership.  A hot gospelling coach might point out to his charges that they were the better team on the night in all facets and that poor kicking for goal and a couple of lapses at the death cost them what was rightfully theirs. Moreover, now was

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 1
  • Tell a friend

Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

• Podcast 

• Podcast 

• Podcast Stream 

Open Stream in
    New Window
        TuneIn    Opens in New Tab
  • Support Demonland  

• 2021 Premiership  

• Social Media 

• Non MFC Games  

NON-MFC: Round 10

Discussion of all the other games that don't involve the Demons in Round 10 ... READ MORE

Demonland | Round 10

• Match Preview      

MELBOURNE BUSINESS by The Oracle

As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a danger game awaits ... READ MORE

Demonland | May 16

• PreGame      

PREGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

The Demons have a 10 day break before they head on the road to Perth to take on the West Coast Eagles at Optus Stadium on Sunday. Who comes in and who goes out? ...READ MORE

Demonland | May 15

• Latest Podcast      

PODCAST: Rd 09 vs Carlton

The boys dissected the agonisingly disappointing 1 point loss to Carlton lamenting giving the Blues a 6 goal head start and praising Trac for almost single handedly snatching victory from the jaws of defeat ... LISTEN

Demonland | May 13

• Casey Report      

OVER YET? by KC from Casey

The Friday evening rush hour clash of two of the VFL’s 2024 minnows, Carlton and the Casey Demons was excruciatingly painful to watch, even if it was for the most part a close encounter ... READ MORE

Demonland | May 12

• Match Report      

CENTIMETRES by Whispering Jack

Our game is one where the result is often decided by centimetres; the touch of a fingernail, a split-second decision made by a player or official, the angle of vision or the random movement of an oblong ball in flight or in its bounce and trajectory ... READ MORE

Demonland | May 10

• Post Game      

POSTGAME: Rd 09 vs Carlton

The Demons were blown out of the water in the first quarter and clawed their way back into the contest but it was a case of too little too late as they lost another close one to Carlton losing by 1 point at the MCG ...READ MORE

Demonland | May 09

• Votes      

VOTES: Rd 09 vs Carlton

Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Jake Lever, Jack Viney & Clayton Oliver make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ...READ MORE

Demonland | May 09

• Game Day      

GAMEDAY: Rd 09 vs Carlton

It's Game Day and the Demons are once again headlining another blockbuster at the MCG to kick off the round of footy. The Dees take on the Blues and have the opportunity to win their third game on the trot to solidify a spot in the Top 4 in addition to handing the Blues their third consecutive defeat to bundle them out of the Top 8 ... READ MORE

Demonland | May 09

• Player Interview  

PODCAST: Kade Chandler Interview

I interview Kade Chandler about his road from being overlooked in the draft to his rookie listing to his apprenticeship as a sub to VFL premiership player to his breakout 2023 season to mainstay in the Forward line and much more ... LISTEN

Demonland | May 01

• Training  

Monday, 29th April 2024

Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin was on hand at Gosch's Paddock for Monday's training session and made the following observations ... READ MORE

Demonland | April 29

• Next Match 

Round 10

vs   

Sunday 19th May 2024
    @ 06:20pm (OS)

• MFC Forum  

• Match Previews & Reports  

• Training Forum  

• AFLW Forum  

• 2024 Player Sponsorship

• Injury List