Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Bummers win

Dappa Dan

Game of the year so far.

About 16 fit players, Roo misses the goal 40 metres out.

Bombers deserve to win, and deserve to play a final.

Hate them and everything, but... just... wow.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game of the year so far.

About 16 fit players, Roo misses the goal 40 metres out.

Bombers deserve to win, and deserve to play a final.

Hate them and everything, but... just... wow.

I Hate Essendon, They Deserve Nothing. Bugger it i was hoping the saints would go right through.

Essendon give me Headaches!!

They did their best to lose it though.

No way. They had no bench. They were always going to need a goal or two in the last quarter to hang on. The fact that they didn't get one, AND they managed to win is a credit to them.

I'm one of those people that thinks that Sheedy's last year of recruiting would hurt the bombers in the long run, and that they're a pretender. I still reckon they are, and that they're not headed for a flag... but if they didn't earn some respect tonight from the average football fan, then it would be impossible to.

They won with nothing more than desire against the best team in the league right now, with their best guys in.

How'd you see it DD.

I hate them, but I suppose credit where it'd due. Very good win, tough shot from Reiwoldt, and really he shouldn't have even been forced to have the shot given Prismall's miss.

So did Roo have a kick for goal after the siren and missed?

Certainly did. 40 metres out, and apparently he never looked like getting it. Geez, imagine if he gets the same opportunity in a prelim, or worse, a GF.

I Hate Essendon, They Deserve Nothing. Bugger it i was hoping the saints would go right through.

Essendon give me Headaches!!

I'm sorry WYL. Please forgive me. If I imagine for a minute what it would be like to hear people singing Richmond's praises, I can see why you'd hate me a bit right now.

That kind of game will do one of two things. Either the Saints will make of it what they ALWAYS make of a loss like that, and spiral out of control to a limp finals campaign... Or it'll be the making of them this year. They could take what criticism they cop this week, and turn it into the kind of desire that will get them the flag. Personally, as long as it's not Collingwood I don't care who wins it.

How'd you see it DD.

I hate them, but I suppose credit where it'd due. Very good win, tough shot from Reiwoldt, and really he shouldn't have even been forced to have the shot given Prismall's miss.

Perhaps.

I saw it as it the fans will. An old fashioned arm wrestle. Good quality footy all round. Bombers have not played like that in years. Guys everywhere were playing their career best footy. They kind of mirrored us, in that their old heads in Lloyd, Lucas and Fletcher were all injured, and the younger guys did what I reckon the older ones couldn't have.

I can give them credit happily because the win is only tantamount to a worse position in the draft. If they make the finals it'll be by the skin of their teeth, and they'll be bundled out in the first week when they take on the Lions, Dogs or whoever. Reminds me of us circa 2004-06. Some of us were as deluded as the Bombers fans will be now. Kind of like the last 3 rounds of, I think 2005, where we beat the cats by 1 at Skilled, and then beat the Bombers and Bulldogs to scrape in. Then got humiliated by the Cats. They're in that kind of shape.

But as far as 1 game of footy goes, they made the great game into a great spectacle tonight. Can't hate them as much as usual given what they just dished up.

Will be an interesting finals series

Both StKilda and more so Geelong do seem to be planning for september than the remaining home and away games

Would be doing the same in their positions although flirting with form can be dangerous especially against a team who plays consistently like Collingwood

Bombers were really good tonight and deserved the 8th spot which i think will be the final 8 at the end of the home and away

What will interest me is 3 players

Hawkins - Will the Cats risk playing him ?

Rocca - Will the Pies pick him and if so how would they use him ?

McGuire - Will the Saints play him and if so at who,s expense ?

I hate the Bombers, but have to say I'm impressed how well they have been able to mold a competitive team without bottoming out.

They play some very exciting footy when they are on, and are a good team to watch, with some good young players coming through.

No way. They had no bench. They were always going to need a goal or two in the last quarter to hang on. The fact that they didn't get one, AND they managed to win is a credit to them.

I'm one of those people that thinks that Sheedy's last year of recruiting would hurt the bombers in the long run, and that they're a pretender. I still reckon they are, and that they're not headed for a flag... but if they didn't earn some respect tonight from the average football fan, then it would be impossible to.

They won with nothing more than desire against the best team in the league right now, with their best guys in.

Yes they did, they butchered the ball for the whole last quarter and a bit, they were 40+ points up with 5 mins to go in the 3rd quarter, how many times did they try to play a possession game and go from there F50 to their full back line only to cough it up and the saints get the goal.

I understand people would have been tired due to no bench etc but still you need to go forward and score, and that handball into the goal square when he had the shot on from 20 out FFS kick the goal!

I hate the Bombers, but have to say I'm impressed how well they have been able to mold a competitive team without bottoming out.

They play some very exciting footy when they are on, and are a good team to watch, with some good young players coming through.

2005 - 13th

2006 - 15th

2007 - 12th

2008 - 12th

Perhaps not technically bottomed out, but certainly a re-stock.

After Bradshaws kick after the siren to draw the game last week, I was just about ready to spit it completed when Riewoldt was lining up for goal after the siren.

Prismall shouldn't have missed, but Monfries should have taken responsibility and had the shot himself.

We were out on our feet with no bench so I wasn't surprised when the Saints rocketed home.

As much as I am wrapped to get the 4 points, and as important as that result is for us, the news that Fletcher, Dempsey and Ryder will all be missing for 2-3 weeks [virtually season over for them] means that if we limp into 8th spot, the result in that Elimination final could get ugly.

But all that aside, I am very comfortable with the way Essendons future looks.

Hurley and Pears could one of the best key back combinations in the AFL in 3 or 4 years.

Very tough kick.

?? you reckon.. only 40 or so out.. only about a 40-45 angle..could see all the goal.. Not really a hard kick for a forward surely. He needed to calm down and compose himself and think through it.. he just rushed it.. pretty weak effort al things considered and what was on the line.. .. Bit harsh ?? thats their job !!

So who is Roo?

Riewoldt I think.

I have a hard enough time keeping up with Melbourne player nicknames. Wish people wouldn't refer to opposition players by their nicknames.

You mean like other teams refer to the Walpiri Wizard, or the Flash? Ox ring any bells? It's a mark of respect. He's a good player. I didn't think anyone would have any trouble recognising the name.

Yes they did, they butchered the ball for the whole last quarter and a bit, they were 40+ points up with 5 mins to go in the 3rd quarter, how many times did they try to play a possession game and go from there F50 to their full back line only to cough it up and the saints get the goal.

I understand people would have been tired due to no bench etc but still you need to go forward and score, and that handball into the goal square when he had the shot on from 20 out FFS kick the goal!

Rubbish. They had basically no bench. They smothered the bal and tried to run the game out. They'd MORE than earned it for 3 quarters, which is enough by itself, and had no recourse but to bring the game down to a lower pace. And hey, it worked. I'd say every bomber fan would be happy with how that game was coached/played.

Overall enjoyed this game. Though I was torn. On the one hand, hate the Bummers wouldve been nice to see them choke. But on the other hand dont want to see St Kilda go through undefeated.

Overall a desired. Bombers shat themselves and were lucky Nick Riewoldt was innaccurate. They cant brag about the win too much.

Bombers shat themselves and were lucky Nick Riewoldt was innaccurate. They cant brag about the win too much.

One of the dumbest comments I reckon I've read on here in a while.

Did you see the game, or were you still celebrating the fantastic win over the mighty Freo Dockers?

I'll admit Essendon weren't at it's most composed in the last quarter, but there were circumstances.

St Kilda have had that effect on most teams this year. Still, Essendon were able to get 7 goals in front of them by more than matching St Kilda's pressure, and managed to kick 16 goals in 3 quarters against a team lauded as the best defensive unit ever [and rightly so if you look at the stats].

As Dappa Dan is trying to explain, Essendon virtually had no bench in the last quarter and were up against a team that was at full strength. Compared to Essendon missing their captain in Lloyd, last years best and fairest David Hille, Winderlich, Reimers and Lucas to name a few off the top of my head.

St Kilda, being the great team that they are, were always going to make a run. Essendon, running on empty, were able to just hold on. It was a win that just might mean we play finals for the first time since 2004.

I'm not one to brag, but if ever any Essendon supporter wanted to brag about a victory, this is the time.

After Bradshaws kick after the siren to draw the game last week, I was just about ready to spit it completed when Riewoldt was lining up for goal after the siren.

Prismall shouldn't have missed, but Monfries should have taken responsibility and had the shot himself.

We were out on our feet with no bench so I wasn't surprised when the Saints rocketed home.

As much as I am wrapped to get the 4 points, and as important as that result is for us, the news that Fletcher, Dempsey and Ryder will all be missing for 2-3 weeks [virtually season over for them] means that if we limp into 8th spot, the result in that Elimination final could get ugly.

But all that aside, I am very comfortable with the way Essendons future looks.

Hurley and Pears could one of the best key back combinations in the AFL in 3 or 4 years.

So am i supposed to be Mortified if Essendon Get Smashed in an elimination Final am i??

No Sympathy, look forward to carving you up in years to come-We owe you quite a few.

One of the dumbest comments I reckon I've read on here in a while.

Did you see the game, or were you still celebrating the fantastic win over the mighty Freo Dockers?

I'll admit Essendon weren't at it's most composed in the last quarter, but there were circumstances.

St Kilda have had that effect on most teams this year. Still, Essendon were able to get 7 goals in front of them by more than matching St Kilda's pressure, and managed to kick 16 goals in 3 quarters against a team lauded as the best defensive unit ever [and rightly so if you look at the stats].

As Dappa Dan is trying to explain, Essendon virtually had no bench in the last quarter and were up against a team that was at full strength. Compared to Essendon missing their captain in Lloyd, last years best and fairest David Hille, Winderlich, Reimers and Lucas to name a few off the top of my head.

St Kilda, being the great team that they are, were always going to make a run. Essendon, running on empty, were able to just hold on. It was a win that just might mean we play finals for the first time since 2004.

I'm not one to brag, but if ever any Essendon supporter wanted to brag about a victory, this is the time.

Ease up, tiger. Its clear you caught St Kilda off their guard, whilst the Bombers played well, when St Kilda turned the screws in the last quarters the Bombers were coughing it up ad nauseum. If they'd lost it wouldve been an epic choke, as it is a wayward Riewoldt kick sees it as a famous victory.

P.S. please keep your rantings about Essendon brief as this is a Melbourne board and we do not care about the opinions of opponents.