Memories of 1987

H_T

Flashback: -

Memories of 1987

A good read for those unfamiliar with the events of 1987.

I remember vividly that Saturday afternoon, Round 22 Western Oval (now Whitten Oval).

Yes, that vision of G.Lyon on the stretcher was from that day.

The article has drawn some good parallel's. With the change of the jumper to a darker navy blue that year 1987, having played in the royal blue prior. Perhaps the change in jumper will happen for next year? Anyone know? (ie. Darker/Blood red).

Memories of 1987

I remember vividly that Saturday afternoon, Round 22 Western Oval (now Whitten Oval).

The article has drawn some good parallel's. With the change of the jumper to a darker navy blue that year 1987, having played in the royal blue prior. Perhaps the change in jumper will happen for next year? Anyone know? (ie. Darker/Blood red).

From about Round 15 we came home like a Steam Train-Big Scores. Round 22 at the Western Oval is still the Best Day i have had at the Footy because "We were There" made the Finals!

Drank a lot of beers between Footscray & Elwood!

From about Round 15 we came home like a Steam Train-Big Scores. Round 22 at the Western Oval is still the Best Day i have had at the Footy because "We were There" made the Finals!

Drank a lot of beers between Footscray & Elwood!

1987 was the beginning of my love affair with the demons. I'm from a casual football family where nobody really had a team. My cousins followed Essendon and I remember going with them to the Night Grand Final and for some reason decided that the Demons were going to be my team. My interest continued to grow through the year... By the end of the semi final I was in love with Robbie Flower, and at the end of the Preliminary Final I was crying. I've been hooked ever since.

Great article.

Yeah, was a good read for sure. Great to look back on '87 now.

The Panasonic Cup final was great. Cold night out at Waverley (of course) against the once daunting Bombers. We hung in there all night and then the ball runs loose in the forward line, Peter Giles flicks the ball out to Bret Bailey who snaps truly. I just remember jumping out of my seat and losing a shoe in the process. Never found it. Loved the speech by Danny Hughes that night. "It was bloody good to win anyway...." and ends it with "One team had to win and (shrugs) it's us." Ran the victory lap amongst all the mob and players, in one shoe. Brilliant night.

Then we went from the heights of glory out at the Western Oval in round 22 to the pit of despair come Preliminary Final day out at Waverley.

What a ride.

Round 22 was probably the best day I've ever had at the football. Got their early. About 31,000 people jammed in by the time of the opening bounce. Was a tight contest for most of the day until we managed to break clear in the last quarter. I was out on the wing and when Brian Wilson kicked that goal, I was right in line with it as it floated through the centre. I road it home and went berserk. Then when it looked like we had the game settled everyone's attention turns to Kardinia Park where Geelong seemed to have about a 3 goal lead on the Hawks all day. Lat ein the last Dunstall puts the Hawks in front and the crowd at the Western Oval erupts. Just magic.

Then we roll on into the finals, smashing both North and then Sydney, on what was possibly the greatest roll in football history.

But no game has taken me longer to get over than that Prelim against the Hawks. Totally gutting. Was sitting behind the goals down the scoreboard end, leaping out of my seat in that last quarter as we missed shot after shot. Just hoping one would find the middle. Ah hell. We blow a four goal lead and let the Hawks go the length of the field in just 9 seconds to set up the free kick to Buckenara. 15 metre penalty. Sick. We got beat earlier in the season against the Roos by a shot after the siren by a 19 year old named Alastair Clarkson. I couldn't beleive it happened again. Just sick.

Great read. '87 was an incredible season.

The lead-up to the finals was brilliant. I remember being in Perth, we were playing West Coast at the 'G and it was exciting attacking footy. I had to leave the TV to catch the plane home. On the flight back, the pilot very excitedly told us of the Dee's victory. There was a buzz, most on the plane were pleased for us. It was then I knew that this was for real. That last round at Western Oval was the most exciting ever.

Thrashing North Melb at the 'G was impressive. Then we ran all over the Swans on that Sunday afternoon, also at the 'G. I remember us streaming down the ground towards goal. Great footy. It was hot & sunny for the preliminary final at Waverley, the most painful day of my whole life following Melbourne.

Yep... Was at Waverley for Night Grand... did the lap with players waving the scalf my sister knitted for me. Still have the vision. Also at Western oval that magnificent day in round 22. Definitely the most remarkable day at the footy I've ever experienced. The players stopped when the crowd went off because of the Geel v Hawthorn result. They thought the ump had blown the whistle or something. We danced for joy on Western oval after the game, hundreds of Demon fans united by the greatest hope we had had for 23 years. Rode the finals roller-coaster and finished at the Buckenara end in the Prelim. Remember the sick gut walking back to the the car, when I turned on the radio the commentators were reporting that Stuart Spencer had fronted the umpires in their rooms about the decision. Saw Stuart at the MCC members on Saturday v Dogs... a good man, Stuart.

Don't think i have ever quite got over the '87 Prelim Final. I have never been so gutted. I was sitting near to the Hawks cheer squad who were pretty quiet all day, until the last Q of course. Hawthorn had won so much. To be beaten after the siren was just too surreal.

Even losing the GF in 88 wasn't so bad because we had at least made it.

Our Car was near the Hawks Cheer squad van, so even later we copped it in the car park for about 2 hours. Traffic didn't move fast at Waverley!

I didn't speak to anyone for hours. It was like a death. Still makes me Angry now.

I was behind the Big Scoreboard Goals so i saw all the last Q points!!! Michael Tuck had his arm around Robbie in the Goal Square as the "Kick" went through. I knew he meant well but it made me so mad!!!

John Northey...What a champ.

I was 9 years old in '87....

I remember my father taking me to Footscray for the last home 'n away match of the season.... With our finals chances on the line the boys got up and won.... I just remember my father crying and holding me up in the air screaming "We did it boy, we f***ing did it!!".... It was then that I realised how much pain so many Dees supporters had been feeling since '64

My Dad and I attended the drubbing that we gave North Melbourne.... I remember running around the backyard for the next week kicking the footy to myself.... "Brett Lovett handballs to Stretch, Stretch takes 2 bounces down the wing and kicks it to the leading Spalding who takes a huge grab at CHF. Spalding goes BANG and finds the leading Robbie Flower who runs around the man on the mark and kicks a goal" (Great memories :) )

Then the next time I went to the football was a day I will never, ever forget! I remember standing on the seat at Waverley.... "Booo Boooo Boooooo" as Gary F'kenara took his kick....

After he had kicked it, I remember looking up at my old man who was actually crying.... The first time I had seen my father cry.... I joined in and we stood there for what felt like an eternity just holding each other in what was a moment that will last with me till I die :(

I remember on the way home in the car and Dad turned around to me and said "We would've beaten Carlton next week!"

From that day on I have hated Hawthorn!

It is actually quite emotional even now, remembering that finals series.....

God I love our football club!!

Go Dees!!

Memories indeed! ..... unadulterated joy followed utter devastation and disbelief. The media shots of Dees fans crying after the Prelim. loss are permanently etched in my brain.

Big Jim has already repaid the Club in spades for his errant moment, but I reckon his next tilt at a Flag is is not too far away!

I still wear the Scarf i bought outside the MCC Members (Remember the Caravan) 1987

About 20 ft long it is, Red & Dark Blue. I bought it Round 1 when a mate told me our colours had returned. I disliked the light blue immensley.

Memories indeed! ..... unadulterated joy followed utter devastation and disbelief. The media shots of Dees fans crying after the Prelim. loss are permanently etched in my brain.

Big Jim has already repaid the Club in spades for his errant moment, but I reckon his next tilt at a Flag is is not too far away!

Yeah. Great memories. I still get tingles up the spine thinking back to 1987. My memories of that game are Robbie getting crunched by Dipper, then Dipper getting smashed by Earl Spalding. Ricky Jackson flying around the forward line. Campbell missing the unmissable shot. I was lucky enough to see most of the games after the Geelong game, and you could tell something special was brewing. After years of failure and misery, it was quite overwhelming our last 2 months of that season. Everyone including other teams supporters were willing us to win. Does anyone remember that poster the club sent out to members in the magazine, with Grinter and I dont remember who else ripping the sherrin apart.

One of my best memories was Robbie Flower's towering marks on the forward line against North and Sydney. All at once he had been converted into a marking forward. The sea of red and blue around the ground was also very exciting. Very satisfying also to see Gerard Healey get his desserts by playing in a losing boutique team against the team he had walked out on.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

The elimination final against Nth was probably the best game I have seen my Dee's play. I grew up thinking that we would never be a good side (but loving them all the same) and for them to come out and do that after 23 years... well, words fails me. But I walked on air for the next week and then got to see them do it again to Sydney. Can't remember anymore about that year.

.............. Does anyone remember that poster the club sent out to members in the magazine, with Grinter and I dont remember who else ripping the sherrin apart.

Sure do! Pretty certain it was Garry Lyon with 'Balls' Grinter.

Great memories.

The last 5 rounds of the season then the Western Oval triumph then the elim final (NM) and qual final (Sydney) were magical.

I still cant watch the 87 Prelim final in any part. I spent about 1 and 1/2 hours trying to leave the carpark after the game. God it was awful.

I spent about 1 and 1/2 hours trying to leave the carpark after the game. God it was awful.

Same, I remember just sitting in the car, totally empty. Stuck in that wretched carpark not moving and not really caring. When the siren sounded I was feeling great, top of the world. By the time I drove out of the carpark I had caught the flu. Spent the next three days in bed, not speaking to anyone.

Don't think i have ever quite got over the '87 Prelim Final. I have never been so gutted.

Our Car was near the Hawks Cheer squad van, so even later we copped it in the car park for about 2 hours. Traffic didn't move fast at Waverley!

I didn't speak to anyone for hours. It was like a death. Still makes me Angry now.

John Northey...What a champ.

Yeah, I was going through those exact same emotions. Gutted. Like a major death. And I love John Northey...

Memories of 1987

The report on our clash with Hawthorn mentioned that "with minutes to go" Buckenara kicked a goal. I think that should have read SECONDS to go. If I remember correctly, when we missed our chance of the match winning goal at our end, there was just 15 seconds left on the clock when Hawthorn kicked out. Anyone verify or dispute this?

I vividly remember some terribly unjust umpiring decisions during that ill-fated prelim final.

At the 15 min mark of Q4, Hawk John Kennedy had a set shot from 40 m. which hit the goal-post halfway up. The goal umpire was interfered with by the pack trying to touch the ball, and paid a goal. Jimmy pointed out that it was a poster, but naturally he took no notice. Field Ump Howlett(who had it in for us all day) didn't see it hit the post, either(or chose not to over-rule it).

Simon Eishold took an excellent mark about 7 m. from goal, near the edge of the goal-square. The Ump who was(understandably), miles away, ran in and deemed the mark to have been taken near the goal line halfway between the goal and point posts. He erroneously put Eishold on a very acute angle, and he kicked a shocker. Had the mark been put anywhere near where it should have been, it would have been unmissable.

In Q3, Sean Wight broke away brilliantly and hand-balled over the top to a loose man running straight up the centre, with forward options abounding. As Wight hand-balled, a Hawk jumped on his back(the same way Grinter did to Buckenara at the end of Q4). The free? ......AGAINST Wight for an open hand handball.The result...goal to Buckenara(who'd done nothing up to then).The throw decision was correct, but ultra- technical. The tackle was rugby-like and unsubtle.

There were numerous other 50:50 decisions that went Hawthorn's way. They were an experienced side, who knew how to "milk" the decisions their way. We were a young side fuelled by adrenalin.

We were desperately unlucky to miss that Grand Final. The next year, we beat Carlton 3 times, including in the Finals, so I'm dead sure the '87 Premiership would have been ours.

I remember on the way home in the car and Dad turned around to me and said "We would've beaten Carlton next week!"

We were on such a roll, it's nice to wonder what would have happened the next week.

But in hindsight it would've been a huge task to come up again after such an epic Prelim Final. We had injuries to Wilson and Flower that might have kept them out. And it was the hottest Grand Final day on record, 31 degrees. I've always felt looking back, that whichever team had won that Prelim, such an emotionally and physically draining battle, Carlton were just going to be too strong on such a hot day having had a weeks rest.

But I would have loved to have found out.

I still cant watch the 87 Prelim final in any part.

I've watched the last quarter a few times over the years. Each time I have, I still think one of those missed shots at goals is going go through the middle.

But they never do.

I think looking back on the game, as gutting as it still is, it has to go down as one of the greatest games ever played. It was simply the definition of the word 'epic'. If only we had won it......

If I remember correctly, when we missed our chance of the match winning goal at our end, there was just 15 seconds left on the clock when Hawthorn kicked out. Anyone verify or dispute this?

From memory, and I have timed it, from when Hawthron kicked in after the Tony Campbell miss, it's about 9 or 10 seconds until the siren sounds. Unbelievable.

I vividly remember some terribly unjust umpiring decisions during that ill-fated prelim final.

There was also a Hawthorn goal in the third quarter that was given that looked awfully like a point.

I was sitting behind the goals down the main scoreboard end. In the 3rd quarter Hawthorn kicked a goal that I could have sworn drifted to the outside of the left goal post. Everyone around us swore it was a point too. A guy, not a Melbourne supporter either, stood up and hurled a beer can at the goal umpire. It didn't hit him. Anyway, the cops came and took him away.

I still swear it was a point.