A new home for the Dees?

montasaurus

I was listening to SEN last night and were interviewing a councillor from Melbourne city re Princess Park and Carltank.

At the end of it the issue of a Home for the MFC came up out of no where and he suggested a hawthorne type training base instead of a 2nd stadium has his support. I have been a big advocate of the casey move for a summer camp but if this could be a better long term result for the club? A ground, and "facilities" which i would have to read into - indoor stadium for training, presume pool, gym etc. Would save many hrs in cars and assist recovery as well. Worth exploring IMHO

spose its worth exploring. The players would benefit heaps i recon, but the thought o fus having a home bass at the docklands bit wierd.

just to clarify he was talking about a residential development with parklands attached to an open air oval with basket ball type stadium(s) attached, not another indoor football stadium. Makes good sense.

This wouldn't and won't happen. We've just realligned ourselves with the MCC, as one of their clubs. We're not going to then move over to Docklands. Especially, for the fact that the whole point of Casey was to provide the club with more supporters and members over the next 30 years.

This wouldn't and won't happen. We've just realligned ourselves with the MCC, as one of their clubs. We're not going to then move over to Docklands. Especially, for the fact that the whole point of Casey was to provide the club with more supporters and members over the next 30 years.

you've missed the point, we wont play games at this new dockland development rather using it as a training base for us. Just because we have re-alligned with the MCC doesn't mean we have a training base at the MCG.

It does sound intriguing

We have never planned to move to Casey full time in the long term - it was just until the Bubbledome facilities at Olympic Park are built

This would be an alternative to that project.

If both projects were equivalent in terms of facilities provided and cost to the club, i'd choose Bubbledome due to its proximity to the G

you've missed the point, we wont play games at this new dockland development rather using it as a training base for us. Just because we have re-alligned with the MCC doesn't mean we have a training base at the MCG.

No, I realise that. But, if we hope to develop a following in the suburbs of Casey council, we have to train there, otherwise what's the point.

As for the MCC, the Docklands would be just an unavailable as the G. In the summer Melbourne Victory use that as their base and games. If being a branch of the MCC doesn't allow us training acess to the G (granted it holds more sporting events than the Dome), we wouldn't get acess to the Dome either. Wow, I'm going around in circles. Perhaps, the MCC bit is irrelevant lol.

It does sound intriguing

We have never planned to move to Casey full time in the long term - it was just until the Bubbledome facilities at Olympic Park are built

This would be an alternative to that project.

If both projects were equivalent in terms of facilities provided and cost to the club, i'd choose Bubbledome due to its proximity to the G

Are we not attempting to sign a $5 million/thirty year deal with the Casey government?

As for the MCC, the Docklands would be just an unavailable as the G. In the summer Melbourne Victory use that as their base and games. If being a branch of the MCC doesn't allow us training acess to the G (granted it holds more sporting events than the Dome), we wouldn't get acess to the Dome either. Wow, I'm going around in circles. Perhaps, the MCC bit is irrelevant lol.

Adam - perhaps it wasn't made clear in the original post, but this project is nothing to do with the current docklands 'Etihad' stadium. It would be a seperate site - with a ground that will not host AFL nor A-League games, ever.

We've just announced that we're back in the MCC fold.

Why would we upset our friends at the MCC and go to where our heritage isn't?

Simple the MCG is not a training base for us. therefore we should be looking at developing whatever will give us the best facilities as a training base and location for long term success.

<edit> currently the direction is for casey as a summer location, but is it possible that an all year round venue like this proposal is better?

We've just announced that we're back in the MCC fold.

Why would we upset our friends at the MCC and go to where our heritage isn't?

That's what I should have said! :D

Adam - perhaps it wasn't made clear in the original post, but this project is nothing to do with the current docklands 'Etihad' stadium. It would be a seperate site - with a ground that will not host AFL nor A-League games, ever.

Ah! Rightio. Is this the one that we'd potentially share with Victory and Storm? Or was that another plan? I'm horribly informed on this topic. The reason I even bothered posting was that I was thinking the thread meant the Dome itself.

Ah! Rightio. Is this the one that we'd potentially share with Victory and Storm? Or was that another plan? I'm horribly informed on this topic. The reason I even bothered posting was that I was thinking the thread meant the Dome itself.

OK.

The MC Counceller was talking about a totally new development and used hawthorns training base at waverly as a model. Residential property right up to the edge of the sporting complex.

the "bubble dome" is where the victory and storm are and this would be a seperate entity to this in the docklands area which has a lot of empty space at this time

i don't think people quite understand what is being said in this thread.

the suggestion was for a training ground, complete with indoor gym facilities, swimming pool etc, to be built in the area which is currently being redeveloped, and known as 'docklands'. this has nothing to do with etihad stadium.

the mcc are not offering us a full time training base. we cannot use the g for all our training sessions. the bubbledome will be a rectangular stadium, and we will have to share the outside ground with collingwood.

as far as i know we are only planning on training at casey during summer. are we training there at the moment? what is the current situation?

this suggestion has some merit, as it will keep melbourne in melbourne. that being said, if we lose the casey connection, we could lose potential supporter growth.

Am only guessing but this would then make null any use for bubbledome which suits me just fine as its ( That Squarish Place ) is useless really for any use we can possibly think of. A winter home fully serviced with oval together with A summer home etc at Casey whilst still maintaining the integrity of links with the MCC could be the total trifecta of sorts.

Would be interested to know more details regarding this proposal

What's that big new indoor stadium being built south of the MCG? (east of the Lexus centre) Surely we can get some state-of-the-art indoor training somewhere in that vicinity (I think Melb Storm & Victory use the facilities somewhere there). Can someone fill in ignoramus's like me?

What's that big new indoor stadium being built south of the MCG? (east of the Lexus centre) Surely we can get some state-of-the-art indoor training somewhere in that vicinity (I think Melb Storm & Victory use the facilities somewhere there). Can someone fill in ignoramus's like me?

Thats Bubledome...aka Rectangular Stadium.. Will have Soccer/Rugy pitch and trainingn facilites.. It was where we were destined once... hopefully we wont touch the place now..far too compromised

Bbub - remember at Olympic Park we'd be using Gosch's paddock, not the new stadium itself to train.

We'd have the best of both worlds. Great training facilities, great training oval, very close to our spiritual home the G, where our admin is. Its the perfect solution.

The only thing that is stalling the project is the costs

Thats Bubledome...aka Rectangular Stadium.. Will have Soccer/Rugy pitch and trainingn facilites.. It was where we were destined once... hopefully we wont touch the place now..far too compromised

Part of the deal with the AFL handing us the money at the beginning of the year was that we had a presence at Bubbledome. That's what stopped the talks we were having with the MCC regarding moving into a revamped Southern Stand. I for one have never liked the sound of Bubbledome. Too expensive and just keeps the clubs parts seperate. This new proposal sounds interesting but we'll have to wait and see.

Bbub - remember at Olympic Park we'd be using Gosch's paddock, not the new stadium itself to train.

We'd have the best of both worlds. Great training facilities, great training oval, very close to our spiritual home the G, where our admin is. Its the perfect solution.

The only thing that is stalling the project is the costs

am aware which is which:) any facilites at bubbledome are going to be shared .. why not have our own ?? AN oval with training facilites attached is better than a walk :)

We wont ever be far spiritually from the G..Indeed certain usiness capacities are due to return there. However am intrigued with this new news :)

Part of the deal with the AFL handing us the money at the beginning of the year was that we had a presence at Bubbledome. That's what stopped the talks we were having with the MCC regarding moving into a revamped Southern Stand. I for one have never liked the sound of Bubbledome. Too expensive and just keeps the clubs parts seperate. This new proposal sounds interesting but we'll have to wait and see.

Our presence at Bubbledome - what was the deal here? Ie. How long?

Revamped Southern Stand base at G still an option?

Casey - anything signed yet?

Confusing...- I'll rephrase - Frustrating..

keep in mind Casey=Summer ( primarily ) and is a different issue from any normal winter facilities as a point of discussion.

Could be interesting. A new 'burb of sorts with an AFL team plonked smack bang in the middle. What a funny notion..I mean fancy locating Melbourne in...of all places..Melbourne .. :rolleyes::lol:

Our presence at Bubbledome - what was the deal here? Ie. How long?

Revamped Southern Stand base at G still an option?

Casey - anything signed yet?

Confusing...- I'll rephrase - Frustrating..

Maybe the club's still exploring options and thus hasn't signed anything yet. The Casey one puzzles me but I'm in the dark like the rest of us.