ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING CROWD NUMBERS !!!!!

True Believer

If you buy a membership there's absolutely no obligation to attend any matches. I'd prefer someone purchase a membership and not turn up rather than not purchase a membership at all. The club needs the money.

If you claim to be a passionate supporter of the club, that's different, you should feel obliged to attend as many matches as possible.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 3 memberships in my house, myself, my 16 year old Year 11 and my 9 year old year 3. I went to the G for the game, but neither child attended. Also, what's with all the Sunday games anyway? We had a sh*tload last year and almost the same number this year.

If you buy a membership there's absolutely no obligation to attend any matches. I'd prefer someone purchase a membership and not turn up rather than not purchase a membership at all. The club needs the money.

If you claim to be a passionate supporter of the club, that's different, you should feel obliged to attend as many matches as possible.

This far too logical Jnr..will be lost on many. As you say..the real supporters ( as postulated by many ) will have a membership anyway. Therefore numbers at games are very deceiving in terms of revenue. Would seem reasonable to suggest that those that turn up time to time as non members probably have other things or priorities in life and get to games when they can and want. Whats wrong with that ?

Members have already coughed up...no effect to net revenue on the day. All arguments to the contrary are essentially folly. We as a club actually by all accounts have the greatest percentage of acknowledged conversion of supporters into members.

Not a lot of point ayone really grizzeling at the moment..as with all aspects of the club we're rebuilding..and that too will cover and deal with memberships and the general following.

Those that are paying per play day to watch...probably want something a little uplifting,rewarding and entertaining to watch..can you really blame them.

I think some people on here need to understand that while their social lives might revolve around the footy fixture it's not the case for most people.

Empathy - it's cool, try it some time.

That's like comparing being sick with a cold and choosing to miss a movie or choosing to miss an exam (except even Melbourne playing football is not as bad as exams ;))

Maybe you view it that way, but for many supporters - of all Clubs - football is not one of the biggest things in their life.

In fact, I'd suggest that for the majority of Melbourne supporters (and supporters of all Clubs), the decision to attend the footy is very much like deciding whether to catch a movie (and nothing like whether to attend an exam).

Pathetic joke of a turnout. Most people would rather watch the footy with a glass of shiraz in front of the fire. It's just not good enough from our fans.

No wonder every other opposition fan says Melbourne should be the first to relocate.

Using your logic I'd be keen to know why Geelong shouldn't be the first to relocate.

They played in the afternoon (rather than 'twilight'), have been the dominant side since 2007 (and we've been the cellar dwellers), and only managed 1,000 more at their game.

Most people would rather watch the footy with a glass of shiraz in front of the fire.

is it ok if I have Merlot instead ?? and you wont mind if I bring a in along a bin with some kindling and fire it up in the southern ?? :rolleyes::lol:

PEOPLE THAT CLASS THEMSELVES AS FAIR DINKUM SUPPORTERS OF THE SIDE THAT DO NOT ATTEND MELBOURNE HOME GAMES MAY AS WELL STEAL FROM THE CLUB

Hey LIFT not sure if I understand your comment.

Are you refering to my brother who lives in Brisbane and suggesting that those who do not live in Melbourne but support the club shouldn't buy a full membership...

OR

Are you refering to my son who is laughed at regularly at school for being a Melbourne supporter and has been to all but 3 home games in the last 4 years and did want to come on Sunday but was told no by his father due to the weather and the not family friendly time of the game.

PS my son will be laughing back in a few years time and he knows that.

PS my son will be laughing back in a few years time and he knows that.

That's what I tell my cousins, respectively 5 and 2 years old, they have no idea how much it sucks for them that I've forced them to be Melbourne supporters now (well the 2 year old get bribed with cheese for saying "Dees" :unsure: ), but by the time both have an understanding of football, we'll be winning premierships left right and centre, and they'll be thanking me (and laughing at their dad who is a Hawks fan. Yuck!).

I gotta say, it just didn't feel like a footy match to me, almost eerie. The time slot/weather is obviously no excuse from a hardcore fan analysis, but there's no question it comes into play for a large chunk of our fanbase (the more casual fan and families). I was only in Level 2 Reserved Area and 2A, but the lack of kids and families was quite glaring. We can't get carried away with these admittedly impressive membership numbers. Clubs are doing wonders padding numbers with small game packs/junior packs/our MCC/MFC option. The fact is that we are struggling side playing the future card, exciting for the 'faithful', possibly not as enticing for the more casual/fairweather fan who would be just as happy to watch at home. Fact remains that we will struggle to pull crowds for the interstate matchups at the G on our regular crappy Sunday arvo timeslot. 4.40pm + weather was always going to compound the problem (though even I thought we could push 20,000 given the win last week).

Well said !! Spot on with everything.