• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Membership Attack

Redleg

Personally, IMO the ideas posted by Redleg are good ideas based on the topic "Membership Attack". Regardless of what financial situation mfc supporters/members find themselves in. It's all for the benefit of the mfc, which incidently finds itself in a precarious position much like many companies and businesses at present.

Fwiw, I consider myself an average aussie, doing it just as tough as the next average aussie.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Redleg, what do you do for a living? - I don't think who or what people do have anything to do with any argument here. We are all apart of the MFC in one way or another so this is one of the most rediculas things I have ever seen posted!

Wrong, some people are in a position to be able to help the club alot more than others, and I can guarantee you that someone on a lawyer's salary is much more able to help than a factory hand with a family who's just been retrenched from a car manufacturing company.

But hey, don't let reality can get in the way of a good ol' circle jerk.

1stly read the whole post before reacting to one line...........

"Redleg, what do you do for a living? - I don't think who or what people do have anything to do with any argument here. We are all apart of the MFC in one way or another so this is one of the most rediculas things I have ever seen posted!

Fact - Currently the club needs money, and will right now take it any way it can get it! End of story, so those who can afford to buy a second membership for yourself well done for doing so (maybe have a look at the heartland project to get kids to the game as well)

What we need to do is build a larger membership base, so those who can sign up melbourne supporters with their 2nd member ships - even better.

[post edited]

Everybody's individual circumstances are different. You cannot generalize that a Lawyer is in a position to help ahead of a worker who has just been retrenched. let me explain.......

A lawyer could well have had all of his disposable income tied up in the markets etc and may have just lost upto 70-80% of their wealth and earning capacity. They could well have business investments such as realestate etc that all require loan servicing just like people like myself who are paying off their 1st house. There are also those who work for a pittance in legal aid.

Now from the other side of the fence the "car worker" you speak of could well have paid of his/her property in the 30yrs they have been working, living a comfortable life and have just received a big severence allowing them to retire in a more cumfortable position then many and could well be in a significantly stronger financil position then many others at this point in time.

This type of generalisation is just as rediculas as your comment - therefore no one "type" of person is more able to do their bit, rather as the post suggests we all need to do what we can. If you can afford a 2nd membership good, if not do what you can.

1stly read the whole post before reacting to one line...........

Jarka I would not normally lower myself to personal attacks but in this case I will make an acception - you are a fool.

Everybody's individual circumstances are different. You cannot generalize that a Lawyer is in a position to help ahead of a worker who has just been retrenched. let me explain.......

A lawyer could well have had all of his disposable income tied up in the markets etc and may have just lost upto 70-80% of their wealth and earning capacity. They could well have business investments such as realestate etc that all require loan servicing just like people like myself who are paying off their 1st house. There are also those who work for a pittance in legal aid.

Now from the other side of the fence the "car worker" you speak of could well have paid of his/her property in the 30yrs they have been working, living a comfortable life and have just received a big severence allowing them to retire in a more cumfortable position then many and could well be in a significantly stronger financil position then many others at this point in time.

This type of generalisation is just as rediculas as your comment - therefore no one "type" of person is more able to do their bit, rather as the post suggests we all need to do what we can. If you can afford a 2nd membership good, if not do what you can.

I'm a fool for pointing out that not everyone is able to help the club by purchasing extra memberships?

This is the comment that I disagreed with:

Come on every demon get off your arse and secure at least one more membership for the club we love.

Clearly the author of this post is in a position to help, which is why he wrote it, now you too have constructed an argument against him...

So, who is the fool now?

lol, idiot, next time read the whole debate before getting your knickers in a knot.

I'm a fool for pointing out that not everyone is able to help the club by purchasing extra memberships?

I think you're misrepresenting his argument.

montasaurus suggested it was foolish to base an assessment of someone's financial circumstances on the type of job they hold -

Everybody's individual circumstances are different. You cannot generalize that a Lawyer is in a position to help ahead of a worker who has just been retrenched.

montasaurus didn't assert that it was foolish to point out that not everyone is able to help the Club by purchasing extra memberships and it seems he agrees with you:

If you can afford a 2nd membership good, if not do what you can.

Fwiw I agree with (both of) you - these 'calls to arms' are great, but ignore the fact that for some, simply buying their own membership is a struggle that needs to be weighed up on a year-to-year basis.

PS. How about we keep the cheap name-calling out of it.

well said rouge. - Have just edited original post

I think we are both going down the same path i.e,. All of us can do something to help the club, but not all can purchase an extra membership. Agree - move on...

But......

Redleg, what do you do for a living?

Sure, it's a decent idea but you sound like an overpaid lawyer who has no idea of the real world, the average aussie is doing it bloody tough right now.

I think you may have missed my point a little - re sterotyping those who can/cannot help the club. - Every individual circumstance is different. Surely your not going to argue that point?

I think you may have missed my point a little - re sterotyping those who can/cannot help the club. - Every individual circumstance is different. Surely your not going to argue that point?

No I'm not, but in this particular case I know that the author of the post is in a strong financial position, thus I wasn't sterotyping, merely pointing out that not all Melbourne supporters are in the same financial position. Although on that topic I would highly doubt that there are very many struggling lawyers relative to the number of struggling factory workers. I challenge anyone to prove otherwise.

As for the petty name calling - meh. If someone wants to anonymously call me a fool on an internet forum then that's more of a reflection on them than me.

I think you're misrepresenting his argument.

I understand exactly what his argument is

This is the comment that I disagreed with:

Clearly the author of this post is in a position to help, which is why he wrote it, now you too have constructed an argument against him...

So, who is the fool now?

lol, idiot, next time read the whole debate before getting your knickers in a knot.

The quote of the last line of Redleg's original post Jarka, IMO is simply a plea of passion and a call to arms to do what they can do, that's all. He's in coaching mode in a way. ie. Asking for a last quarter effort. In this case, purchase memberships. I'm sure Redleg would understand that not all Mfc members would be able to purchase an additional membership.... .

But they might be able to purchase a little merchandise instead....

Just renewed my fathers membership for 09 and asked about numbers.

As of yesterday morning, thats 6th of January:

"Just over 17000".

!!

Just renewed my fathers membership for 09 and asked about numbers.

As of yesterday morning, thats 6th of January:

"Just over 17000".

!!

That's pretty good. Let's hope that its above 20-22,000 before the start of the NAB Cup.

I have my membership and my sons and we go to amost every home game.

Also in some years, when I can afford it, I buy a membership for my wife, and in some years I even buy one for my adult daughter. I think my daughter has been once in 5 years and my wife 2 or 3 three times. This is therefore a donation.

I was thinking this year of giving a donation to the debt demolition of about the same amount as a membership, but I am not sure which one helps the club more. A membership has some costs associated with it such as mail outs etc, but it does help with the clubs perceived stength amongst sponsors etc.

Anyone have any thoughts as to which is best?

mate, if you could spare a hundred or whatever it is you can spare, it would be greatly appreciated and help out whichever way you choose.

Memberships help our club present a strong image and helps attract sponsors, attention, even more members on some occasions. Debt demolition will help our club rid it's debt so we can start becoming a profitable business, which will help onfield down the track. And demon heartland will allow lots of kids to go to the footy when they otherwise wouldn't, to support the dees and hopefully set up a powerful red and blue heartland.

In the end it's your money, any way you spend it will be well appreciated and will help our club move forward.

Go dees

I have my membership and my sons and we go to amost every home game.

Also in some years, when I can afford it, I buy a membership for my wife, and in some years I even buy one for my adult daughter. I think my daughter has been once in 5 years and my wife 2 or 3 three times. This is therefore a donation.

I was thinking this year of giving a donation to the debt demolition of about the same amount as a membership, but I am not sure which one helps the club more. A membership has some costs associated with it such as mail outs etc, but it does help with the clubs perceived stength amongst sponsors etc.

Anyone have any thoughts as to which is best?

Have a look at the heartland membership. This allows upto 20 kids to go for 50 bucks from the casey area. I think this is a good long term initiative

Strewth - this topic began with a couple of inspired suggestions to boost membership with the aim being seemingly to generate more ideas.

It then degenerated into a worthless and completely distracting argument.

Jarka, you may well have made some valid points, but that is not the point. You are obviously a deep thinker and it would be far more helpful for the the Demons if you chanelled your thoughts into helping the Demons rather than giving a rat's as to whether Redleg is a lawyer or not.

BTW, with that monika (is that a word?), I'm tipping he is!

Strewth - this topic began with a couple of inspired suggestions to boost membership with the aim being seemingly to generate more ideas.

It then degenerated into a worthless and completely distracting argument.

Jarka, you may well have made some valid points, but that is not the point. You are obviously a deep thinker and it would be far more helpful for the the Demons if you chanelled your thoughts into helping the Demons rather than giving a rat's as to whether Redleg is a lawyer or not.

BTW, with that monika (is that a word?), I'm tipping he is!

Moniker. Other than that your post is perfect. :P

If we don't get 30,000 we'll be in a world of trouble. Just read that the Kangas last year were at 27,000 by mid march, so I suppose that's a bit of a benchmark for us to chase.

Does anyone know the latest numbers? We must be nudging 20k by now. I signed up last night as a Trident member. I have always been happy with just the normal 16 game m`ship but thought I would help add to the coffers of the club and of course enjoy the best seat in the house on the second level of the Olympic Stand. BTW, doing it online does not actually allow you to choose which of the Olympic or GS Stand you want to sit in. Does anyone know what happens in this instance. Do I get a call from the club soon or am i best to call myself?? I always go to the footy alone so I look forward to having a beer with any Trident Demonlanders up there!

Does anyone know the latest numbers? We must be nudging 20k by now. I signed up last night as a Trident member. I have always been happy with just the normal 16 game m`ship but thought I would help add to the coffers of the club and of course enjoy the best seat in the house on the second level of the Olympic Stand. BTW, doing it online does not actually allow you to choose which of the Olympic or GS Stand you want to sit in. Does anyone know what happens in this instance. Do I get a call from the club soon or am i best to call myself?? I always go to the footy alone so I look forward to having a beer with any Trident Demonlanders up there!

i recon call them

but good work forking out for the club :)

first thing i did last thursday afternoon was buy my son who was born that morning a membership. always wanted to do that after i missed out on doing that with my first.... so you can add one more to the tally ;)

first thing i did last thursday afternoon was buy my son who was born that morning a membership. always wanted to do that after i missed out on doing that with my first.... so you can add one more to the tally ;)

Congrats. :)

• 1 month later...