Training Friday 28th November

Guest melbman

Guest melbman

Training Friday 28th November

Well it was the first time we'd made the trek to Casey Fields, Dad and I, and I have to say we were mightily impressed. The last time we saw the Dees train was roughly a year ago. Today's ground was lush, green and welcoming, last year's at Monash was hard, some one else's and hardly befitting of elite footballers and was a sign of the year to come.

The trip to Casey for us was an easy one, turn right at Belgrave and pretty much straight on to Casey Fields via Belgrave Hallam Rd. Follow it through its various naming incarnations from Narre Warren North Rd to Cranbourne Narre Warren Rd then turn left at Berwick Cranbourne Rd roundabout and you’re there. You’ll pass the magnificently dominant Cranbourne Aquatic and Leisure Centre on the left before you turn into Casey Fields on the right.

Inside Casey Fields we found the home of the Casey Scorpions at the front of a winding driveway that also leads to a plethora of other sporting fields. From memory there were two other football fields, multiple tennis courts, a ground titled “Premier Cricket Field” with what looked like a turf wicket, based on the machine that was paying close attention to it, and another area that had what looked like a long and meandering bike track titled “Criterium”.

The whole area had the feel of a very forward looking local government. The type of which you wished was the norm rather than the exception.

The training started at about 8ish and the notable absentees from memory were DB the coach, CC footy ops, Robo, James Mc, Bruce and Brock. One of the first things I noticed was the guys are a really happy bunch, great camaraderie in that team, joking and laughing in the warm up.

The first drill was a rough and tough in close smashing session where somehow they also seemed to be passing the ball around at the same time.

Other training was based around handballing and kicking to advantage, working the angles, leading, contesting and all those things we hope they master for the heat of battle.

From memory individuals from today were:

Mr Sylvia, he trained hard and fast and was super competitive. He seemed to have joined in all drills though at one time he separated from the main group and launched into a sprint around the boundary on the far side at what looked like a decent clip. He also did some one on one against Grimes where Grimes was the defender and Col outpaced and out powered him every time. Grimes probably got more from the experience than Col

Rivers was on light duties. Seemed to walk fine but was in the rehab group

Valenti seemed to only do laps

Maric was laps only too

Spotted Maloney at the end of the sessions where he was training hard, no apparent shoulder soreness

PJ was doing rehab

Aussie looked fast, really quick on his feet and a good kick and he was signing autographs at the end of the session

Juice was in front of us for a kicking drill for a while where he was teamed up with and kicking to I think Warnock. Juice trained as you would have hoped. Really took it seriously and is a lovely kick, really sweet off the boot and accurate. I don’t think Warnock was as happy with his own kicking so much

Miller trained hard and fast and so did Davey

I think Scotty West was there, we saw him at the end (looked like him anyway).

One thing I did take away from the training was the endeavour of the guys, training done at a good pace. Many times diving for the ball and doing things either because the softer ground allowed it or out of greater enthusiasm.

In general I would say they looked better than this time last year and the ground had a homely feel to it.

If you get the chance to make it to training it is worth the effort.

A real training ground will make a real difference.

Inside Casey Fields we found the home of the Casey Scorpions at the front of a winding driveway that also leads to a plethora of other sporting fields. From memory there were two other football fields, multiple tennis courts, a ground titled “Premier Cricket Field” with what looked like a turf wicket, based on the machine that was paying close attention to it, and another area that had what looked like a long and meandering bike track titled “Criterium”.

The whole area had the feel of a very forward looking local government. The type of which you wished was the norm rather than the exception.

Masterplan for Casey Fields:

http://www.casey.vic.gov.au/caseyfieldsfac...e.asp?Item=3596

Ovals 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 are built - Ovals 4 & 5 have turf pitches accommodating the Premier Cricket (District Cricket) team Casey-South Melbourne Cricket Club, although Oval 5 is also used for footy training by the Cranbourne FC (which plays its matches on the VFL Oval (Oval 1).

MFC trains on the VFL Oval.

Sports Fields 6 & 7 are also there, as well as 3 netball courts near Ovals 2 & 3. There are 12 tennis courts and the bicycle criterium track.

Plus there's lots more yet to be built.

Ovals 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 are built - Ovals 4 & 5 have turf pitches accommodating the Premier Cricket (District Cricket) team Casey-South Melbourne Cricket Club, although Oval 5 is also used for footy training by the Cranbourne FC (which plays its matches on the VFL Oval (Oval 1).

Sports Fields 6 & 7 are also there, as well as 3 netball courts near Ovals 2 & 3. There are 12 tennis courts and the bicycle criterium track.

Sounds like a genuinely awsome facility you have got there Scorp........

Makes me curious why the Saints were so keen to leave, any help CS? Aside from them wanting to strengthen their allegance to the bay (an area where most people, if they are going to get an AFL team, already have one)

Makes me curious why the Saints were so keen to leave, any help CS? Aside from them wanting to strengthen their allegance to the bay (an area where most people, if they are going to get an AFL team, already have one)

When they announced in November 2007 that they were going to Frankston park, the big attraction was that the Saints would get a land asset worth $1 million as part of the deal from Frankston Council (as well as $2 million cash contribution to the project). However the costs of the project blew out, and there was a range of other problems, and the complex would not stack up. So they announced in September 2008 that they would go to Belvedere Park in Seaford instead where the development costs (they hope) will be less. It certainly won't have some of the other problems of the Frankston Park site (oval too small, grounds too small to hold the buildings needed, parking shortfalls in the area, filled land over an old creek bed just to name a few). These were problems which could easily be seen but for some reason were blindly ignored by the Saints - I suspect because of the lure of the magical asset.

However, the asset has disappeared from the equation at Belvedere Park. The increasing costs of the project meant that the Frankston Council was asked to increase its cash contribution to $3 million in lieu of any land contribution. Strangely, they seemed to have lost sight of the reason for the original decision - gaining the land asset on the balance sheet.

Of course by September 2008, they had burned off Kingston Council so badly at Moorabbin they wouldn't dare go back there and try and renegotiate, and they had dumped the Scorpions in favour of the Zebras so had lost any option to get to Casey Fields. The whole process was the opposite of keeping your options open until the final deal is done. They were then left with the only possibility being in the back blocks of Seaford.

A debacle. So, in answer to your question, they chose Frankston for a land asset which will never materialise.

But it certainly created an opportunity for MFC.

Thanks a lot for your answer, and all information you provide on all things Casey.

Certainly seems an odd decision, one that seems more bizarre with each new Casey development. I'd have wagered the benefits of Casey over a $1m asset.

I'd have wagered the benefits of Casey over a $1m asset.

And the Casey Council would have probably contributed more than Frankston Council's $3 million to a full scale relocation St KFC project (they're contributing $1.4 million to the MFC project which is to accommodate only a part time occupancy).

how did you find out when training was on??

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/Season2008/T...53/default.aspx

Pre Season Training

Monday 24 November - Casey Fields 8:30am

Wednesday 26 November - Casey Fields 8:30am

Friday 28 November - Casey Fields 8:30am

Please note: Training times and venues are subject to change without notice

http://www.casey.vic.gov.au/whatsonatcasey....asp?Item=13899

The Melbourne Football Club takes up summer residency at the VFL Oval at Casey Fields as of Thursday 6 November.

Training on the VFL Oval commences at 8.30am.

Following this day training is on the following dates in 2008:

November:

Monday - 10, 24

Wednesday - 12, 19, 26

Friday - 14, 21, 28

December:

Monday - 8, 15

Wednesday - 3, 10, 17

Friday - 19

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/Season2008/T...53/default.aspx

Pre Season Training

Monday 24 November - Casey Fields 8:30am

Wednesday 26 November - Casey Fields 8:30am

Friday 28 November - Casey Fields 8:30am

Please note: Training times and venues are subject to change without notice

http://www.casey.vic.gov.au/whatsonatcasey....asp?Item=13899

The Melbourne Football Club takes up summer residency at the VFL Oval at Casey Fields as of Thursday 6 November.

Training on the VFL Oval commences at 8.30am.

Following this day training is on the following dates in 2008:

November:

Monday - 10, 24

Wednesday - 12, 19, 26

Friday - 14, 21, 28

December:

Monday - 8, 15

Wednesday - 3, 10, 17

Friday - 19

Guest melbman
great update,

I hope to make it down myself over the summer

- can you give an update or do you have any info on Ricky Petterd and Jack Grimes they are 2 guys I am really looking forward to watching develop this year

I didn't see Petterd, Dad reckons he did but I thought he was actually looking at Bell :lol:

Grimes looks to be still finding his way based on the duel with Col. I don't remember his overall training but looking back I wish now I'd sought him out in the traffic cos he's one I'm interested on for the future too. He looked allot smaller than the others from a strength point of view

One thing I did notice is that Stef Martin is one big unit! Sheesh!

Guest melbman
Great stuff Melbman. Really good to hear. Any photos???

Well, umm, I took the camera but as we were the only ones there, and this might sound daft, but it seemed rude to take pics. I'm sure they would have been fine with it but I just felt like it would have changed the atmosphere and been a bit non kosher. There was a guy towards the end of training that took some pics but he sort of knew some of the guys

Next time I'll try again with the camera

Guest melbman

Thanks for the info casey scorp

The whole area is really massive and whoever had the bollocks to set aside that much land, resources and cash will surely be remembered in the years to come as a town planning superhero. These things don't just happen, someone had to put their neck on the line.

Furthermore the Saints have lost out big time. Their loss is our huge gain. I just hope that not only can the Dees make a solid contribution to the area but that they also entrench themselves in there as THE AFL TEAM. I'd very much dislike for Melbourne to put in the community effort and then other AFL teams get the NAB Cup games there but in fairness to the locals that own it through their rates they'd probably be happy for any AFL games there and rightly so.

Time will reveal all

Edit: one thing that I did wonder about was how will all the cars get out once it is fully populated from a sporting perspective cos it will be one busy area

Guest melbman

It was on the Melbourne website but I was a bit concerned it may be changed at the last minute but as it turned out it was all good

Edit: one thing that I did wonder about was how will all the cars get out once it is fully populated from a sporting perspective cos it will be one busy area

That's a good question, but there is also an answer!

Go back to the masterplan:

Where the current driveway comes off Berwick-Cranbourne Road there will be a signalised intersection with a 4 lane road running north-south across the major 4 or 6 lane east-west arterial road that Berwick-Cranbourne Road will become.

Also see the plan on page 2 of this document (the preliminary precinct structure plan for Cranbourne East to see the north-south road).

http://webadmin.gaa.vic.gov.au/Assets/File...0Newsletter.pdf

There will be 3 separate access roads into Casey Fields from this 4 lane north-south road:

* in the vicinity of the social club

* an extension of the access road shown south of the tennis courts

* an extension of the access road shown between the aths track and the soccer pitches.

In the short term (probably in about 2 years) the north-south road will be built as a 2 lane road, and the 2nd connection will be made.

The 3rd connection probably won't happen until the soccer pitches are built.

Well, umm, I took the camera but as we were the only ones there, and this might sound daft, but it seemed rude to take pics. I'm sure they would have been fine with it but I just felt like it would have changed the atmosphere and been a bit non kosher. There was a guy towards the end of training that took some pics but he sort of knew some of the guys

Next time I'll try again with the camera

Yeah understood. But probably no need to be shy. Many people here have posted photos of Summer training without any suspicion from the club (at least I think the club didn't care). I dare say that considering these guys are professional sportsmen, they are probably used to having their photo taken regularly. And posters here love to do the whole "... has bulked up considerably... look at those guns..." etc. But all of us here appreciate anything we can get over the Summer, whether it be words or photos. Once again, good report and big thanks.

Great update, thanks melbman.

Wow. That's a great sporting precinct. What a great opportunity for the Melbournefc. St.Kilda may have burnt their fingers on leaving Casey.

On top of the Cousins alleged back flip, I get the feeling the Saints may face a lot of heat from its members in the not too distant future with some of the decisions.

Of course by September 2008, they had burned off Kingston Council so badly at Moorabbin they wouldn't dare go back there and try and renegotiate, and they had dumped the Scorpions in favour of the Zebras so had lost any option to get to Casey Fields. The whole process was the opposite of keeping your options open until the final deal is done. They were then left with the only possibility being in the back blocks of Seaford.

A debacle. So, in answer to your question, they chose Frankston for a land asset which will never materialise.

But it certainly created an opportunity for MFC.

Mfc - grab this opportunity with both hands and make a real fist of it.