DEMON SUMMIT 2008

H_T

as someone suggested, our club websight should have a prelim page like the roos used to

to be used as 1)advertising

2) easy link for membership and debt demolition

3) easy to find info about our next game

this is what he was talking about

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/mcfc/splashpage/stan...=24167&bg=1

and then at the bottom, it says "enter page"

I like that.

It could be made simpler and more aesthetically pleasing, but its simple tweaks like that which will lead to more memberships and the club functioning better for supporters.

Work smarter, not harder. I love the idea.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a serious note, the lack of communication surrounding the research is worth raising.

I can bring that up Rogue if you are not invited? I agree with that. I received the email invitation from the club. Looking forward to this brainstorming session.

Just got an email from the club now about it, should be a good day!

Good to see the club being proactive!

Who else is going?

Me. :o:rolleyes:

just got my email inviting me to the summit on the 16 nov at the G.

If any of you demonlanders have any ideas that you want aired just post them and I

will see if I can present them.

This is our chance to have our, yes ALL our say.

Hopefully I can meet other landers at the summit as I am getting P....d off talking to this screen.

I too, understand your frustration.

Have made a note of suggestions on this thread as well as my own views (which are shared by others... ie logo, clash jumper, communication, blueprint, etc)

Any others feel free to express them, or email the club your concerns if you do not want them aired here at [email protected]

So you want the changerooms in the middle of the AFL members, rather than the MCC members?

I'd say, given that our club is trying to strengthen ties with the MCC, that it would be a very silly thing to move the changerooms now

So you want the changerooms in the middle of the AFL members, rather than the MCC members?

I'd say, given that our club is trying to strengthen ties with the MCC, that it would be a very silly thing to move the changerooms now

is there any chance we can have our own change rooms in the middle of the members?

cos that would be perfect

as someone suggested, our club websight should have a prelim page like the roos used to

to be used as

1) advertising

Good concept Nugget. And as The Shaft said it is aesthetically pleasing on the eye.

Good concept Nugget. And as The Shaft said it is aesthetically pleasing on the eye.

It is, but it could be made more so.

Its not bad, but it leaves a little to be desired.

In fact, I'm surprised that Man City hasn't got a designer that's done a better job...

not really that much, but i sit in the members and love to have them run out near me

but i think having our own change rooms could mean a lot to everyone at the club

to be used as 1)advertising

I don't like those pages at all because if anything people will not want to go to the site because it will be more (even marginally) of a hassle.

A good website for the MFC should be one where you can quickly pop on and see the latest news and updates or one where you can browse in your leisure reading articles and features.

I don't like those pages at all because if anything people will not want to go to the site because it will be more (even marginally) of a hassle.

A good website for the MFC should be one where you can quickly pop on and see the latest news and updates or one where you can browse in your leisure reading articles and features.

i see your point of view

but if it helped get more revenew through advertising as well, i say do it

i think the roos have done it too

i see your point of view

but if it helped get more revenew through advertising as well, i say do it

i think the roos have done it too

Good idea guys, but i'll have to play devils advocate on this one.

1. This would have to get through the AFL, as they control all of the 'official' club sites. Not only would they have to allow it, but it would have to be possible on those horrible Bigpond powered sites.... if it was possible i'd think that other clubs would already have it. But maybe not.

2. Have any of you guys ever seen the features on the websites of other clubs? Richmonds is great, they have this large members only section (a Tigers member showed me) and i've wonder why we don't have these features. Not only is Richmond's better, but we seem to have the worst, plainest site of all. I've found out that the reason for this relates to sponsorship, that we have less features on our site because we draw less/lower sponsorship dollars, and that the AFL top up our site with their own sponsors. SO if this is true, i cant see us trying an initiative like this which would mean us finding more sponsorship.

Not trying to rain on your parade as i think the idea has real merit, but i'm just pointing out something i know which you should consider before making the suggestion. If you can also have ideas to overcome these roadblocks then you will be able to present a stronger case when bringing this up at the forum.

1. This would have to get through the AFL, as they control all of the 'official' club sites. Not only would they have to allow it, but it would have to be possible on those horrible Bigpond powered sites.... if it was possible i'd think that other clubs would already have it. But maybe not.

2. Have any of you guys ever seen the features on the websites of other clubs? Richmonds is great, they have this large members only section (a Tigers member showed me) and i've wonder why we don't have these features. Not only is Richmond's better, but we seem to have the worst, plainest site of all. I've found out that the reason for this relates to sponsorship, that we have less features on our site because we draw less/lower sponsorship dollars, and that the AFL top up our site with their own sponsors. SO if this is true, i cant see us trying an initiative like this which would mean us finding more sponsorship.

Not trying to rain on your parade as i think the idea has real merit, but i'm just pointing out something i know which you should consider before making the suggestion. If you can also have ideas to overcome these roadblocks then you will be able to present a stronger case when bringing this up at the forum.

No, thats good feedback. Obviously with any idea there will be complications to work around, & its easier if you know what they are.

I agree, our website is rubbish. A lot more could be done, but i guess it all takes $$$.

No, thats good feedback. Obviously with any idea there will be complications to work around, & its easier if you know what they are.

I agree, our website is rubbish. A lot more could be done, but i guess it all takes $$$.

yeh i agree...

i have said this on another thread, our websight is plain and boring

look at collingwood's...they are always updating articles and pictures etc

Its good to get other views on board, other opinions. You raise good points Golgothan. The more information that comes to hand I believe, the more those roadblocks become speed humps.

Thanks guys, just trying to help get some more feasable ideas.

yeh i agree...

i have said this on another thread, our websight is plain and boring

look at collingwood's...they are always updating articles and pictures etc

As i said, i think that is largely to do with sponsorship. Not much we can do about it unless we get more/bigger sponsors. Maybe the state of the website can be mentioned at the forum? As to exactly why it's so bad and infrequently updated. Plenty of people pour effort into sites like this, i'm sure that they wouldn't have to ask around too much to find someone to donate their time to maintain the site, then all they'd have to do would be provide the content.

Also another thing i'd be interested in someone bringing up is Richmond's 'Club 80', i'm not sure if anyone here would have heard of it? You can read the details here & on the Club 80 website. Basically it started a supporter organised initiative, for diehards who wanted to get closer to the club. It cost $50 to join and any profits go towards the football departement. They hold a minimum of 8 functions a year and they have a few players attend every function, It's not a lot to ask, 8 functions means that players only have to attend once a year. As well as sometimes having club legends & coaching and Admin staff donate their time. They are usually held at a venue which is donated by a supporter (restaurants, their VFL club). It's backed by the footy club and the club make it compulsory for the players to attend when required. As well as during the footy season, they also had a pre-draft function last year which loosely told the guest the clubs intentions a few days before the draft. They held a secondary function following the draft where they got the draftee to come along and introduced them to the group.

To me it sounds great and exactly the sort of thing that people on here would be interested in. I'm not sure exactly how it's all organised, but it would be interesting to throw the idea at the club, because as well as our crappy website, we also seem to be one of the least accessible clubs who have the least functions for supporters to attend. They're the sort of functions where you'd get to talk the ear off the president/coach/captain/football manager and makes the supporters feel that much closer to the club. Like the situation before the walk to the 'G on QB, but on a more regular organised basis. Thoughts?

we seem to have the worst, plainest site of all. I've found out that the reason for this relates to sponsorship, that we have less features on our site because we draw less/lower sponsorship dollars

Are you sure about that? Is this a direct link (ie. get to the next level of sponsorship and you get xyz feature)? That sounds very odd. I would have thought sponsorship was simply revenue, although even if that was the case I guess you could argue an indirect link there (ie. the Club will only spend x on the site and would spend more if we sold more advertising).

and that the AFL top up our site with their own sponsors. SO if this is true, i cant see us trying an initiative like this which would mean us finding more sponsorship.

Are you sure it's the AFL? I seem to remember reading something on the Mates of Melbourne site that gave me the impression it was Sensis (or some bigpond-affiliated company) that sold the advertising on our site.

Are you sure about that? Is this a direct link (ie. get to the next level of sponsorship and you get xyz feature)? That sounds very odd. I would have thought sponsorship was simply revenue, although even if that was the case I guess you could argue an indirect link there (ie. the Club will only spend x on the site and would spend more if we sold more advertising).

I'm not 100%, that's why i'd be interested to see what the club says. Not exactly sure what the deal is, but i think the way that it goes is that the more/bigger advertisers that you get, the more features you get and any ad space you don't fill they fill for you. But it would be good to hear conformation from the club

Are you sure it's the AFL? I seem to remember reading something on the Mates of Melbourne site that gave me the impression it was Sensis (or some bigpond-affiliated company) that sold the advertising on our site.

Woops, yeah you're right on that one, it is Sensis, who run Yellow/White pages for Telstra. I should have known that seeing as i work for a telstra company...

Please pass this idea on to Jim at the summit-I sadly did not recieve an invitation....

More merchandise available at Home (and away) Games very close to GATE 2 (MCC Members).

If the Membership is only $50 For MFC Give we members the chance to buy Things as we are swiping the card. I Know there is a shop set up not faraway but it needs to be "in ya Face" Like Supermarket checkouts.

I don't mind spending a little "Hard earned" if it is in my line of sight. Pro active selling. Make the MCC

Entrance more Melbourne.

I've said it before and it looks like i'm gonna say it again.

We need to get some of our players walking the maternity wards of our local (or any) hospitals, equiped with a Melbourne Demons "showbag" of goodies for the little takka, (fluffy footy, beanie etc) as well as a complimentary membership plus registration forms for others interested.

As well as being a recruitment exercise we could also visit a few others in hospital as a morale lifting exercise for the poor buggers in there, and maybe sway them to the Dees.

With the number of sheilas' walking around at the moment ready to pop, if we couldn't pick up a few there is something wrong.

There has been a lot of shaggin' goin' on.

Received by email the following from Jimmy, which some of you may have received. I'd say this summit may provide some answers to Jimmy's blueprint...

I would like to make you aware of a very important day coming up for our Club on Sunday 16 November.

When I was made President, I was overwhelmed by the number of people who wanted to help. Many of you came to me with ideas of ways in which we could make the Melbourne Football Club better, particularly in relation to our business performance. I would now like to bring all of those people together on one day who have ideas to improve our Club heading into the future. .........

........................... If you have an idea that you think can assist our Club to achieve our goals, then please complete the 'expression of interest form' by clicking here.

The event will be held at a Melbourne location (TBC) on Saturday 16 November, and will run from approximately 8.30 am until 2 pm. There will be no cost to attend this event.

Go Dees,

Yeah, I got that too.

Great idea, by "select supporters" does he means supporters that follow Melbourne?

Might want to hold off until you get selected hey ;)

Looks like the clique were a 'done deal'.

Funny thing about this forum is that all of the key posters are MCC members. And an arrogant, know-all bunch, a lot of them are.

I must admit that given the traffic here that tries to find ways of improving membership levels of the MFC, and statements from clowns like Nugget Jones about 'weak country members' (ref post #7, 'we deserved more sunday games'), I'm becoming less amazed at MFC's poor membership/attendance/gate.

The club will probably find that to get the levels of support collingwood, essendon, richmond etc get, you need to appeal to the majority middle class football nuts. I can't believe I am saying that in this country. You are not going to get the levels of support those 3 clubs have pandering to the minority rich. Sponsors know that. The MFC needs to undertand that this part of their history needs some level of rethink, and do something to foster the inclusion of Melbourne Demon barrackers and supporters in the wider demographic, rather than the silvertail, range rover set.

I have been a member of Demonland for only 3 months or so, but it has crystallised to me, to a certain extent, why MFC is where it is.

See, I did not know in 1959 when I was old enough to barrack for MFC that I'm not really the demographic that MFC wants. Neither did my wife later on. And given we grew up and live in Wangaratta, which makes it diffucult to attend games, we have still made the effort to travel and spend and be there.

We now have adult chidren who are also keen supporters.

You city folk, and particularly you MCC know-alls, decide what you really want. Maintain your clique, or maintain your club!

Looks like the clique were a 'done deal'.

Funny thing about this forum is that all of the key posters are MCC members. And an arrogant, know-all bunch, a lot of them are.

I must admit that given the traffic here that tries to find ways of improving membership levels of the MFC, and statements from clowns like Nugget Jones about 'weak country members' (ref post #7, 'we deserved more sunday games'), I'm becoming less amazed at MFC's poor membership/attendance/gate.

The club will probably find that to get the levels of support collingwood, essendon, richmond etc get, you need to appeal to the majority middle class football nuts. I can't believe I am saying that in this country. You are not going to get the levels of support those 3 clubs have pandering to the minority rich. Sponsors know that. The MFC needs to undertand that this part of their history needs some level of rethink, and do something to foster the inclusion of Melbourne Demon barrackers and supporters in the wider demographic, rather than the silvertail, range rover set.

I have been a member of Demonland for only 3 months or so, but it has crystallised to me, to a certain extent, why MFC is where it is.

See, I did not know in 1959 when I was old enough to barrack for MFC that I'm not really the demographic that MFC wants. Neither did my wife later on. And given we grew up and live in Wangaratta, which makes it diffucult to attend games, we have still made the effort to travel and spend and be there.

We now have adult chidren who are also keen supporters.

You city folk, and particularly you MCC know-alls, decide what you really want. Maintain your clique, or maintain your club!

I've never thought about it like that, but I understand your point of view & think you are correct.

Even a perceived slight to non-MCC members does not help. Come to think of it, i have lots & LOTS of mates that pop out of the woodwork to tell me they are demons supporters too, but i've never been able to figure out why they don't buy memberships or take more interest in the club. They all seem to be fair-weather supporters.

Well come to think of it, out of the 20-odd only 1 of them is also an MCC member like me. And she donates money to the club and cares.

The simple fact is that this MCC/MFC affiliation is great for the people lucky enough to be an MCC member. I really enjoy it.

But put simply, it makes supporting the club not accessible to the masses. And until MFC makes a real effort to peel away these barriers and include those that weren't put on a waiting list at birth, then we will struggle.

Does anyone agree?

Put simply, the reason carlton, collingwood and essendon have huge supporter bases is due to immigration.

FW... please expand on that opinion so we understand exactly what you mean and how valid that argument is.

By the way , I think you're the one ready to pop..

Imagine if all Greeks and Italians that came to Aus during the 40 50 60's were located in areas that supported MFC how many supporters we would have. As their relo's follow, they follow. ie. ess coll carl

We are supposedly CBD, Brighton, Toorak etc.

Zoneng is what caused most of it. What was MFC's zone?

Imagine if all Greeks and Italians that came to Aus during the 40 50 60's were located in areas that supported MFC how many supporters we would have. As their relo's follow, they follow. ie. ess coll carl

We are supposedly CBD, Brighton, Toorak etc.

Zoneng is what caused most of it. What was MFC's zone?

Thanks for proving my point about cliques, demographics, silvertails and range rover sets. That is the point, I'm amazed it continues.

Also, if that is still the demographic then, syonara baby.

I think you have eloquently described what a huge job Jimmy and the board have in front of them.

Just as an aside, the regional zone MFC had was the Shepparton area, highly populated by immigrants from Greece and Italy...