Draft or Trade

Demon_Tingles

This may seem a silly thread lol but oh well here we go .

Does Melbourne Football Club need to stick to the draft or trade this off season period.

I believe that we need to do a bit of both because, yes we are in a rebuilding stage and the kids will be very beneficial to us however with our recruiting of recent times i always hold my breath. Also a player available for trade who is proven at AFL level is very much worth a look at.

I know we need to stick to the draft for kids but with our current finiancial crisis we are going to need results very soon otherwise we will find sponsors walking away from the club potentially costing us millions of dollars of which we do not have.

One or two players that have afl experience I believe are necessary to our continuing development as we are going to need to start winning some games.

Correct you are. All this business of only getting under 23s in nonsense imo. Sure get some under 23s but that is what the draft is for. We currently need players with afl experience and getting someone who may be 26 will make no difference. Taking someone in a trade under 23 could mean anything, they could turn out to be a Heath Neville or an Isaac Weetra.

Saying thay however I am all for getting Brent Prismall or even Greg Bentley. Sounds stupid about Bentley but he is a Half Back flanker who has a decent left foot and is solidly built unlike most of our team. Also as shown last year with Wheatley gettin a [censored] load of the ball I believe our HBF's are being used to set up attacking options.

Correct only two problems with those two are Buckley can't kick to save himself as yet, but is getting a lot better and Green I believe is still a forward. He has played back there as we have had noone as of late that has his leadership and marking ability to back into a pack and take a mark. If Rivers gets back to health then I think we will see Green moved forward again as he has shown in the pastv he can kick goals when left forward.

i'm with you on this one- to draft and trade will help us a lot. trade only though for players who are under 23.

unfortunately, you may see us do nothing in trade week

Draft, draft, draft... well, maybe there is room for 1 trade. But I believe a trade should be done only if it involves obtaining a top 25 pick. This draft runs deep, - deeper than previous national drafts. We must keep 1,17 and 19 IMO.

The recruiter at Geelong believes all clubs will hold onto their first round picks, and that you may see more player for player trades during trade week. Because of the the 3 year concessions coming up with GC17 and WS18.

Guest paxino27
Draft, draft, draft... well, maybe there is room for 1 trade. But I believe a trade should be done only if it involves obtaining a top 25 pick. This draft runs deep, - deeper than previous national drafts. We must keep 1,17 and 19 IMO.

The recruiter at Geelong believes all clubs will hold onto their first round picks, and that you may see more player for player trades during trade week. Because of the the 3 year concessions coming up with GC17 and WS18.

Agree with you 100%! We need to draft this year, the only current player we should look at picking up will be whoever's trade falls through which would allow us to obtain them for nothing in the pre-season draft, hopefully Warnock or Ray.

The only two trades Melbourne should make IMO are Carroll and pick 51 to Hawthorn for pick 50 purely to get rid of Carroll and Wonna and pick 35 to Fremantle for pick 21. Wonna's a good small forward but has limitations, IMO Melbourne should trade him while he has value. This would give Melbourne 4 picks in the top 21 and we can draft a bunch of exciting new talented kids.

Agree with you 100%! We need to draft this year, the only current player we should look at picking up will be whoever's trade falls through which would allow us to obtain them for nothing in the pre-season draft, hopefully Warnock or Ray.

The only two trades Melbourne should make IMO are Carroll and pick 51 to Hawthorn for pick 50 purely to get rid of Carroll and Wonna and pick 35 to Fremantle for pick 21. Wonna's a good small forward but has limitations, IMO Melbourne should trade him while he has value. This would give Melbourne 4 picks in the top 21 and we can draft a bunch of exciting new talented kids.

I can't see us trading Wonna. Can you trade a rookie that has been promoted the same year? I'm not so sure. Would Freo take him and swap 21 for 35? I'm not so sure about that either.

With respect to Carroll, I'd rather get pick 50 from Hawthorn in return for pick 67, not 51. They get a senior ready made defender- with 'some' grunt. We've gotta get some advantage between the picks. There is no real advantage between 50 and 51. In this case, we would get 50 and 51 to add to 1,17,19,35. In one of the deepest drafts of all time quality-wise.

we need to get all our picks under 40

i dont know how we can do it but we need to be aiming for that

Yeah, just watch mfc "part the sea" like Moses during trade week........

Better still let's aim for picks 1,5,11,14,17,19. Howzat! All under 20!! While we throw up possibilities... ;)

you are always against whatever anyone says, particularly me!!

all i said was i would like to see us try and get all our picks under 40...... i went on to say i dont know how we would do that (if we could at all) but it would be extremely handy if we could!!

an example of how we could do it would be to trade someone like carroll and pick 51 to freo for there pick 37 or something???

(before you attack me again thats an example)

so going back to my point..... i will again state i hope that the MFC are exercising every possible option to get all our picks as low as possible rather than trading them for players!!

grow up

Gee you sound like another bloke who posts on here. Use of language is almost identical. He seems to go missing when u post and vice versa. And you also threw a lot of mud and Cameron Bruce not too long ago. And look at that your name is a sledge that rhymes with Bruce.

You reared your head last time he was banned from memory. :rolleyes:

hahahah mate dont know what your talking about.... bit of spare time on your hands clearly!!!

i never been banned and i never attack anyone....... all my points are for discussion and all i got from high tower is one liners that never relate to the topic.....

i am surprised that High tower does not agree with me in regards to trying to get all our picks as early as possible???

i would have thought that would be a no brainer???

hahahah mate dont know what your talking about.... bit of spare time on your hands clearly!!!

i never been banned and i never attack anyone....... all my points are for discussion and all i got from high tower is one liners that never relate to the topic.....

i am surprised that High tower does not agree with me in regards to trying to get all our picks as early as possible???

I was about 99% sure before. That response confirms it 100%. Especially if he was banned again last night.

hahaha dandeeman

your way off big guy but thats cool!!!

ask the administrator if i have been banned before??

i have done nothing wrong to be banned and the fact that you think i would be banned and then come back as someone else i find quite amusing!

you dont know me but if i was banned i am not the type of person to try and snake my way around that ban!!!

i am sick of repeating myself but i will say it again......

Do you not agree with me when i say that I HOPE that the MFC are doing all they can to keep there picks but if possible trying to make them earlier in the draft???

am i clearly out of line here wishing that? or are you jumping down my throat for no reason?

Wishing I think. With the Gold Coast consortium coming in there is no chance on earth that clubs are going to trade early picks. hence why i think trading for players is going to be a lot bigger than in recent years.

thank you!!!

i appreciate your opinion and i tend to agree... it will be difficult!!

but i hope they are trying there hardest to lower our picks!

player for player and a pick for a pick is not un common and due to the deepness of the draft evern getting one of our higher picks a little lower would be a massive result!

Yeah you raise a good point player for player and a pick for a pick is not un common and due to the deepness of the draft evern getting one of our higher picks a little lower would be a massive result! but no one will want our players to get a lower pick. We need to go after someone like Nathan Grima from the roos i know nathan and he is a big unit and can play forward or back and was only on a one year rookie contract and did his knee pre season so he will be free.

Also Greg Bentley. Sounds stupid about Bentley but he is a Half Back flanker who has a decent left foot and is solidly built unlike most of our team. Also as shown last year with Wheatley gettin a [censored] load of the ball I believe our HBF's are being used to set up attacking options.

pick up grima for free in psd and trade carrol for bentley backman for backman

hahaha dandeeman

your way off big guy but thats cool!!!

ask the administrator if i have been banned before??

i have done nothing wrong to be banned and the fact that you think i would be banned and then come back as someone else i find quite amusing!

you dont know me but if i was banned i am not the type of person to try and snake my way around that ban!!!

i am sick of repeating myself but i will say it again......

Do you not agree with me when i say that I HOPE that the MFC are doing all they can to keep there picks but if possible trying to make them earlier in the draft???

am i clearly out of line here wishing that? or are you jumping down my throat for no reason?

Poor attempt at a smokescreen.

You are the person who also goes by the name YM.

I much prefer Goose though, he is a little insulting but he doesn't tend to threaten or attempt to ridicule people so much.

Guest paxino27
I can't see us trading Wonna. Can you trade a rookie that has been promoted the same year? I'm not so sure. Would Freo take him and swap 21 for 35? I'm not so sure about that either.

With respect to Carroll, I'd rather get pick 50 from Hawthorn in return for pick 67, not 51. They get a senior ready made defender- with 'some' grunt. We've gotta get some advantage between the picks. There is no real advantage between 50 and 51. In this case, we would get 50 and 51 to add to 1,17,19,35. In one of the deepest drafts of all time quality-wise.

Think they may be tempted for Wonna and pick 35 for pick 21. They still keep three picks in the top 40 and will get a good young player to walk into their role as small forward to replace Farmer. Surely they'd consider that.

Think they may be tempted for Wonna and pick 35 for pick 21. They still keep three picks in the top 40 and will get a good young player to walk into their role as small forward to replace Farmer. Surely they'd consider that.

yeah, but would we?? for crying out loud, they are only draft picks

we need draft picks

lots of em

and as early as possible

GC will have a massive effect and we are lucky to be down the bottom now and not in two years

st kilda sydney are two teams that i look at and think WOW you guys are in strife.... they are going to be hurt badly by the GC inclusion and we are lucky to get in before it messes the whole thing up!

you are always against whatever anyone says, particularly me!!

Always? :blink: I give credit where credit is due. I agree with others when they are correct or make statements that ring true to me.

In this case, Goose, I find it almost impossible that all of Melbourne's picks can be sorted during trade period to be left between 1 and 40, that's all. if you didn't like my attempted pot shot with the example of Moses parting the sea, just ignore it. PS. It wasn't a one liner either, it was two lines.. ;)

so going back to my point..... i will again state i hope that the MFC are exercising every possible option to get all our picks as low as possible rather than trading them for players!!

I hope for this too. But all less than 40, I don't think so. But the mfc can aim for that sure.

Read above Goose.