Wheatley as half forward

Guest brockthechamp

Guest brockthechamp

There are threads to discuss playing our half decent backs as forward.

Why can't we play Wheatley as half forward?

Give him the licence to have a ping anywhere within 60m, at least we won't be seeing half distance pass inside 50m marked by opposition player on the chest.

A few more of Wheatley clones we can play without any one in the 50 :lol:

I think Wheatley likes to run straight. We get benefit from his pace and line breaking. Not a noted contested marking player and not that great below his knees.

He usually has license to run through Midfield and HF so would still expect him to kick 50m goals.

I'd say, yes wing if necessary, but not HF.

Guest Golgothan

Off the wing might be better, he could be receiving from the backline and then pumping it to someone on a lead 30m out.

He has quite a few inside 50s at the moment, so his role could change from a rebounder to someone setting up attacks. If he could do that he'd get close enough to goal that he'd probably get a few shots a game as well

Off the wing might be better, he could be receiving from the backline and then pumping it to someone on a lead 30m out.

I agree. I've always thought he would be a difficult matchup due to his height, while best using his kicking penetration between the two 50m arcs.

Still doesn't seem to relish body contact enough for a defender to my mind.

one of the first picked every week and one of the most underated players in the AFL

he is a super player wheatley and is respected very highly in AFL ranks.....

Is he????? I wouldn't of thought he'd be a worry to opposition sides. He doesn't hurt them enough. I Wouldn't say underated, IMO they don't rate him.

very rarely do you see him lose a one on one contest!!!

<_<

That's because he's never on an opponent to lose one!

:o;) To me he is more of a link man when the ball is in the teams possession. He doesn't hurt opposition sides. They let him roam, he's not damaging to them.

As do Hawthorn to some extent.

If your players are skillful and smart enough to leave a vacuum behind them then kick the ball to a player running forward you can play that way, unfortunately Melbourne don't seem to have smarts OR skills

Franklin hasn't kicked 100+ goals running back into an open forward line.

No he hasn't, but I'm sure if you noticed that ^ part of Mo's post you knew I wouldn't be referring to Roughie or Buddy who both play in the forward 50

So where do Osborne, Williams, Rioli and more recently, Campbell Brown all play?

Hawthorn have adequate numbers in their forward line. We dont!!!

There are threads to discuss playing our half decent backs as forward.

Why can't we play Wheatley as half forward?

Give him the licence to have a ping anywhere within 60m, at least we won't be seeing half distance pass inside 50m marked by opposition player on the chest.

That's all well and good, but we will win less games than we lose playing like this. You can't rely on guys like Moloney and Wheatley to kick the requisite 15 goals you need for a win. It's unsustainable...

I think the trick is to play him there as a solution to the problem of playing against teams that have impenetrable defesive structures... particularly the ones who have a last line of defence made up of the Glass, Scarlett, Rutten types. By peppering the goals from a distance you can worry the defenders in deep and bring them out of their fortresses.

If we're having trouble getting over the goal-line, then sure... hand it off to Moloney or Wheatley and get them to have a ping once or twice in a quarter. Alternatively give it to Jones, Brock or Davey and get them to run and penetrate the fifty...

But like I said, without a target to kick to they'll bomb long down the oppositions' throats, the rebound will result in a goal, their confidence will drop, and they''ll cease to trust their feet.

The long-kicking tactic really only works when your confidence is either at its highest, or if its just around the corner.

one of the first picked every week and one of the most underated players in the AFL

he is a super player wheatley and is respected very highly in AFL ranks.....

very rarely do you see him lose a one on one contest!!!

One of the reasons we finished bottom is that players such as Wheatley are guaranteed games. He's border line VFL in middle of the road teams and is playing VFL for the Cats and the Hawks. I'd be surprised if an average MFC footballer who picks up outside possesions on the bank flank/wing, turns the 55 metre kick over to the opposition, who then run and carry the ball past him and score another goal from a MFC turnover. I'm not sure where the respect comes from. As far as losing contests, What contest. He's an outside player who like so much of our team is found missing when the heat is on. It really is time we stopped playing these kinds of players and developed a ruthless list of players who don't shirk an issue and who can deliver the ball cleanly. He's not underrated he's overrated. Trade him!

No offence to Paul is meant here, for his standard he's had a good season but we're gone until we have 22 players better than Paul Wheatley.

If we're going to rely on Wheatley to kick our goals next year then we're stuffed. This year we had nothing up forward after Neitz was gone, except occasionally Miller to take a contested grab.

Throwing Wheatley forward would be only a bandaid (and not a very effective one).

My criticism of what I saw of MFC's game strategy this year was the apparent total lack of an effective forward plan or attempts to put something in place. Wheatley won't add the "effective" to our forward line. It needs the right players, and some inspired coaching.

One of the reasons we finished bottom is that players such as Wheatley are guaranteed games. He's border line VFL in middle of the road teams and is playing VFL for the Cats and the Hawks. I'd be surprised if an average MFC footballer who picks up outside possesions on the bank flank/wing, turns the 55 metre kick over to the opposition, who then run and carry the ball past him and score another goal from a MFC turnover. I'm not sure where the respect comes from. As far as losing contests, What contest. He's an outside player who like so much of our team is found missing when the heat is on. It really is time we stopped playing these kinds of players and developed a ruthless list of players who don't shirk an issue and who can deliver the ball cleanly. He's not underrated he's overrated. Trade him!

No offence to Paul is meant here, for his standard he's had a good season but we're gone until we have 22 players better than Paul Wheatley.

I thought he had a good year, considering the quality of the rest right now.

He spoils well in the air. Handy 3rd supporting man.

I still like him on HB or working off deep Wing due to his run. He is an outside player but runs well to receive. He can kick the ball long and direct.

Fix up the forward structure to utilize his drive, and get the ball in fast.

Replace him when we have equivalent line breaking available off B and HB.