Anyone been keeping tabs on the big 3?

Bates Mate

i know this is from bigfooty but thought i would post it-

A west toast supporter put this in a thread-

Hate to be a prophet of doom but I heard yesterday from a very reliable source, a member of their recruiting team, that the Demons are seriously considering taking Rich with their first pick.

Talk about stating the obvious. Any team with a top pick will be seriously considering taking any number of players at least up until mid-November if not right up until 29 November.

I'd be more concerned if there were rumours floating around that MFC had locked in 'X' when the AIS camp & trade week havent even commenced.

I back whoever MFC rate as the best player to take, if that's Rich so be it. I certainly dont subscribe to the 'MFC need CHF = pick Watts' / 'midfielders are a dime a dozen' theories.

If there is a player who is head and shoulders above the rest as the best player we must take them.

Interestingly the Demons on the weekend asked the Northern Knights to play Michael Hurley on Watts to see how he would go. Hurley beat him in the first half, so they put Watts on the wing where he started to play quite well.

That may not scare away Melbourne completley as he is quick and a good footballer, but it does suggest he is looking more a midfield type than key forward at this stage. He also is not a monster forward type.

Off field apparently Watts is just the right kid to bring into a club, a real leader with a good head on his shoulders, just a good kid.

as much as i know we need a key position forward, rich is the best available in my opinion. just try and target a key position forward with our next 2 picks. I think people are just a bit in awe of the fact that Watts was a good basketballer before he chose football only recently. We have to remember that many basketball players make football look easy because they usually have superior awareness and better hands :P Basketballers can play footy but not the other way around because footballers often don't have the finesse in the hands. But Watts seem to lack natural aggression which is obviously important in a footy player.

No, why? Is the pendulum swinging? <_<

Bay Riffin suggested that personality-wise, Watts would be a good recruit.

Bailey's said that we'll be looking to draft 'good people' into our Club.

With mousey's post that the Dees are looking at taking Rich - which can be taken with a grain of salt, and I agree with torpedo anyway - I'd be interested to know what he's like personality-wise.

Interestingly the Demons on the weekend asked the Northern Knights to play Michael Hurley on Watts to see how he would go. Hurley beat him in the first half, so they put Watts on the wing where he started to play quite well.

If Watts wasn't leading up the ground and staying around the goals, i wouldn't be surprised if Hurley beat him. Hurley's 1 year older, has had 2 years playing for Vic Metro and is very solidly built. As opposed to Watts, who is a year younger, raw, relatively new to the game and quite light in his frame.

Guest Golgothan

That may not scare away Melbourne completley as he is quick and a good footballer, but it does suggest he is looking more a midfield type than key forward at this stage. He also is not a monster forward type.

Off field apparently Watts is just the right kid to bring into a club, a real leader with a good head on his shoulders, just a good kid.

How do you know this? I wouldn't think the TAC cup teams would take any requests or orders from AFL teams. But Seeing as Watts plays CHF/FF and Hurley plays CHB/FB it's pretty like they'd play on each other when their teams played.

"That may not scare away Melbourne" Do you expect Melbourne to get scared off because he gets beaten in one game? You also need to consider that Hurley already has the build of a man, Watts is younger (almost a year) and much lighter then Hurley, so it's no surprise that he got beaten by the best defender in the TAC.

How big to you expect the kid to be at 17? Of course he's not the monster forward type, he'll need time to develop his body, but he's not a midfielder. Most kids are pretty light as juniors, with a few exception (JB, Hawkins, Hurley). He's a similar build and weight to Riewoldt as a junior, so while maybe a bit skinny he's no twig like Morton. He might have played an alright game pinch hitting in the middle in TAC but that doesn't make him a midfield type. TAC cup is about developing kids and trying them in different positions, so they moved him because he was getting beaten, doesn't turn him into a midfielder.

Interesting, maybe they're looking at Hurley?

Guest Golgothan
Why do you think the TAC cup exists?

The TAC cup does not exist so that AFL club can impose their will on the coaches to see certain players play on other players.

It's a competition to showcase the best talents from different districts within Victoria and i'm not aware of it having any direct affiliation with AFL clubs.

What do you know to the contrary of what i said that says that TAC cup teams bow to the will of AFL teams? Because what i said was a direct response to someone saying "the demons asked the Nothern Knights to play Hurley on Watts", to which i asked how they knew this as i don't think it was true. It would have been an interesting game to go see because logic would say that one teams best defender would play on the other teams best forward, but i'm yet to hear any proof of melbourne directly asking them to do that. Also why would they need to ask? I'm sure Hurley would played on him anyway

So feel free to prove me wrong.....

............................... I back whoever MFC rate as the best player to take, ................. I certainly dont subscribe to the 'MFC need CHF = pick Watts' / 'midfielders are a dime a dozen' theories.

If there is a player who is head and shoulders above the rest as the best player we must take them.

Absolutely spot on!

The TAC cup does not exist so that AFL club can impose their will on the coaches to see certain players play on other players.

It's a competition to showcase the best talents from different districts within Victoria and i'm not aware of it having any direct affiliation with AFL clubs.

What do you know to the contrary of what i said that says that TAC cup teams bow to the will of AFL teams? Because what i said was a direct response to someone saying "the demons asked the Nothern Knights to play Hurley on Watts", to which i asked how they knew this as i don't think it was true. It would have been an interesting game to go see because logic would say that one teams best defender would play on the other teams best forward, but i'm yet to hear any proof of melbourne directly asking them to do that. Also why would they need to ask? I'm sure Hurley would played on him anyway

So feel free to prove me wrong.....

I know several people involved with Eastern Ranges and they often have officials from clubs asking about certain players and whether they'd play them in a specific position. The TAC cup side doesn't have to oblige, but as their main role is to get kids drafted it's often in their best interest to do so.

as much as i know we need a key position forward, rich is the best available in my opinion. just try and target a key position forward with our next 2 picks. I think people are just a bit in awe of the fact that Watts was a good basketballer before he chose football only recently. We have to remember that many basketball players make football look easy because they usually have superior awareness and better hands :P Basketballers can play footy but not the other way around because footballers often don't have the finesse in the hands. But Watts seem to lack natural aggression which is obviously important in a footy player.

Yes, this is a good comment IMO, you also need as a tall key forward, a big ego & a lot of fight, this is why so many have had indescretions recently.

'Freak', your echoing my concerns to, it seems that all the topliners have faults amongst their talents.

Guest Golgothan
I know several people involved with Eastern Ranges and they often have officials from clubs asking about certain players and whether they'd play them in a specific position. The TAC cup side doesn't have to oblige, but as their main role is to get kids drafted it's often in their best interest to do so.

Fair enough. Not surprising but didn't realise it was so prevalent.

That wasn't really the main point to what i said, it was mostly about the poster saying Watts was more of a midfielder then a KP forward because he got beaten in 1 game by Hurley and then was moved on to a wing where he did alright

Yes, this is a good comment IMO, you also need as a tall key forward, a big ego & a lot of fight, this is why so many have had indescretions recently.

'Freak', your echoing my concerns to, it seems that all the topliners have faults amongst their talents.

thanks dee-luded, if you look at the best key forwards in the comp Jono Brown, Fevola and Franklin..they all have natural aggression. Riewoldt is not so naturally aggressive by nature but his courage is probably the best in the comp for a key forward. Watts seems to be a talented basketballer turned footballer with no aggression. I think the only way Watts can counter this is if he puts on 20kg if muscle and becomes a combination of speed and mass. Rich is as safe a bet as you can ask for though. He would probably be one of our best midfielders already.

well power got home by 7 points in what was an interesting tussle with the dragons.. i arrived at the game a little later than anticipated and as such missed most of the first half.. from what i could gather it seemed power were on top.. led by about 15 points at the major break.. 3rd was reasonably tight but sandy got a run on (thanks mainly to lynch and watts..) the dragons eventually got the lead and it looked like power were going to cough up yet another game they should have won.. watts looked like he was going to explode but then all the momentum went back to gippsland and he didn't see the ball again... my boy added a few more to his 5 or 6 goals for the day and power snuck home 7 point winners..

points to note...

- Watts spent around half his game time in the middle of the park and was pretty effective.. another string to his bow i guess

- Vickery didn't play because of "general soreness".. was the key difference i reckon.. he would have dominated..

- Heyne and Butcher both missed goals they should have kicked late on.. luckily it didn't cost them

Posted on bigfooty for anyone interested.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481409

There will be alot of unhappy Melbourne fans if he doesn't nominate

There will be alot of unhappy Melbourne fans if he doesn't nominate

At the beginning of the telecast today Jakovich gave a five point plan to make Melbourne a better side......

One of those points was the choice of Jack Watts with our #1 draft pick.

So I guess my question is, I realise he is young but seriously what are the odds of him not nominating this year?

At the beginning of the telecast today Jakovich gave a five point plan to make Melbourne a better side......

One of those points was the choice of Jack Watts with our #1 draft pick.

So I guess my question is, I realise he is young but seriously what are the odds of him not nominating this year?

I would say he is a sure thing to nominate however if he does so I seriously doubt whether he will play much senior footy next year. He'll probably go down the route of Luke Ball and Xavier Ellis who chose to play for their respective schools whilst completing yr12.

He's a lock to nominate. Doesn't want to leave Melbourne and he has the perfect opportunity this year, provided the MFC gives him assurances they will take him at no.1.

Jack Watts kicked three goals for Sandy Dragons today playing in the midfield according to a friend who lives in Morwell who went to see the game. Says he only played well in patches though and would need a couple of years to get himself into the right condition to play out an AFL game either as a KPP or mid. I believe Melbourne has the patience to wait.