Tassie side for the AFL ?

Deano74

With all the talk about the Gold coast and West Syd joining the AFL, Im on the Tassie bandwagon.

I think they deserve jumper along with the Gold Coast before West Sydney.

Taswegians love there footy and have contributed great players to the VFL/ AFL.

The Big Question is will Nasher or other Tassies change their support or barrack for 2 Teams.

With all the talk about the Gold coast and West Syd joining the AFL, Im on the Tassie bandwagon.

I think they deserve jumper along with the Gold Coast before West Sydney.

Taswegians love there footy and have contributed great players to the VFL/ AFL.

The Big Question is will Nasher or other Tassies change their support or barrack for 2 Teams.

We will all be old & deaf before tassie join the AFL. Taswegians already watch Footy on the TV. It is not a "new" Market as far as Fuhrer Demetrio is concerned. I don't agree but thats the reality

First of all I beleive it's incorrect to call us Taswegians!

Soccer making big inroads statewide - as is hockey.

500K population and reasonable tourist facilities is a market AFL will ignore at it's peril. TV ratings matter I'm told!

We could get 15-20 k bums on seats guaranteed each match if we had our own team. Not Sunday games though. A stadium deal to rival Kardinia Park. Best placed in capital though if it wants to be sustainable.

Doesn't matter what team you support people would like a Tassie team - would certainly go to any BIG games no matter what their allegiance.

The kids would grow up following the locals - I've seen this with Tassie Hawks and am peeved that my taxes pay for this!

Given concessions proposed for GC17 and WS we would thrive and be less of a drain on AFL.

Perhaps an economist could explain it better.

Tassie should get the 18th team IMO but they need to find a better way for supporters to travel to the games.

Don't want to fly, and don't want to sail!

My friend asked which route I would take if the Dees played at Launceston.

I said, "I'll take the missus, she has stuck with me through the drought!"

I wouldn't switch allegiances. I'd love a Tassie team and would go every week if I had a side to cheer for (and didn't have to travel to Launceston, screw that). They'd always just be my second team though.

...................I'd love a Tassie team and would go every week if I had a side to cheer for (and didn't have to travel to Launceston, screw that).......................

That could well be the real problem with a Tas team. Southerners won't travel north, northerners (& north-west) won't travel south. Oaklands was about where the passport got stamped - looks like little has changed since my 10 years on the island.

Soccer making big inroads statewide - as is hockey.

Given concessions proposed for GC17 and WS we would thrive and be less of a drain on AFL.

Perhaps an economist could explain it better.

Hockey may have made some inroads (and I've seen a couple of the facilities down there), but it would have nothing on the AFL once the AFL steps foot in Tassie. Soccer would be the only concern.

I would imagine Tassie would thrive and be a less of a drain.

I'm no economist. But looking at it from a strategic point of view, the AFL would be considering Tassie a safe bet so to speak, and knows that it can win in Tassie against any rival (although they would be keeping an eye on the A League's movements). So it has Tassie in it's back pocket.

The real battle is on for the bigger markets in Gold Coast and NSW. NRL is vulnerable at present (ref: last nights NRL Footy Show re: Sonny Bill Williams departure) not just from AFL. That is why the AFL is moving fast to shore up their market in these traditional NRL strongholds.

It is also why the A League is moving fast.

First of all I beleive it's incorrect to call us Taswegians!

No..Taswegian is quite correct..pertains to the inhabitants..not the ilk of geographical location :)

In all my travels I have never come across a more Footy mad place than Tasmanina..even more than Melbourne..

if ever a place deserved its own jumper is Tasmania. I understand and not necesarilydiagre with al teh reasons for other places being developed....but Tassie is surely a worthy participant :)

Get 'em on board. It just makes sense.

Or we could force a game into areas where people don't even want it, and leave the ones who do out in the cold.

Even if the gold coast gets 5000 more people to each game (i doubt it) they are going to be part time supporters who bail when things start to go poorly. Tazzie supporters will have passion for the game and dedication for their club... I personally would rather 10,000 hardcore supporters instead of 15,000 part timers

No..Taswegian is quite correct..pertains to the inhabitants..not the ilk of geographical location :)

Taswegian is NOT correct. The inhabitants are Tasmanians.

The trip to Inceston from Hobart is about 2.5 hours on a good day.

The road is not safe and public transport options are limited.

Until the State decides which city is the capital an AFL team will not be viable.

Until the State decides which city is the capital an AFL team will not be viable.

U guys are to serious, and thats from my two headed taswegian wife.

by the way maybe if they get a side one day, they could take turns between playing in Hobart and Launceston

Guest Demon85

Launceston to Hobart is 2 hours flat.

LOL the roads arnt safe. You're kidding right? The roads are like anywhere else in Australia.

I am originally from Tasmania but will always be a Melbourne supporter. But you are correct, northerns wont go south and the south wont go north.