WHO WOULD BE A GREAT TRADE FOR US THIS YEAR???

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would make winning less than 5 games for the year important so we can get the priority pick before the 2nd round.

Then we would be looking at:

Pick 1-2: One of Naitanui, Rich, Watts

Trade 2nd Rounder (18-20) to Geelong for Prismall

Pick 17

PSD Pick 1: Warnock

We won't be trading high draft picks come trade week, as Bailey has already said he wants kids, kids, and more kids.

Get rid of Bruce for a late teen early 20's pick, then on trade it to Geelong for Prismall. that way we keep picks, get Prismall, and get rid of Bruce at the same time.

I don't agree with one YM on many things, but Bruce is over-paid, has unbelievably inconsistent and shocking disposal, and is just not a leader. We keep one of Green or Bruce. To those who say Bruce...........HA.

He won't be in our next premiership window. Get rid of him whilst he still has value. Sure it's harsh and culture could be questioned, but where has it gotten us for over 40 years. You keep club champions until retirement. It's time the MFC looked at its future, Bruce is not part of it. We need to take every advantage we can. Get something for Bruce whilst he still worth it.

I think we need to very careful within the trade market this year.

We've let a ridiculous amount of talent leave our club in past years (Jolly, TJ, Woey etc), the same mistakes cannot be made if the club is to move forward.

I'd trade Carroll & Bell. Newton also if wanted.

Generally the PSD has been a bit of hope and pray wasteland with little depth and a bit of punt for all.

Stef Martin's a good example of this. When he was picked up I was a bit "huh?" But it makes sense when you're rebuilding not take someone else's 28yr old trash. Am happy with the selection now, or at least the intention... supplement the youth, kids kids and more kids...

Carroll is for the big AFL list in the sky at the en of the year unfortunately. I can't see ANY club, even one who needs a big defender, going for him. Even the Swans who regularly turn nuff nuffs into champions wouldn't.

I like him, and have enjoyed his presence in the last few years, but enough is enough. He's a 50-100 game player, and that was probably an ok return for a rookie.

Carroll is for the big AFL list in the sky at the en of the year unfortunately. I can't see ANY club, even one who needs a big defender, going for him. Even the Swans who regularly turn nuff nuffs into champions wouldn't.

I like him, and have enjoyed his presence in the last few years, but enough is enough. He's a 50-100 game player, and that was probably an ok return for a rookie.

I think we have all liked Carroll. Plays the game with alot of heart. I too doubt another club would want him. Will be interesting to see come October. Surely we wont keep him though?

We've let a ridiculous amount of talent leave our club in past years (Jolly, TJ, Woey etc), the same mistakes cannot be made if the club is to move forward.

????

Mistakes? We got a pick 14 for Woey who did nothing with his last few years. Bell hasn't been a star but he would attract something on the trade table, and we got good service from him last year...

Jolly left of his own accord.

And as for TJ, he'll be doing nothing in a few years, and Grimes wil be JUST starting to come good! What if Grimes is a 250-game veteran?

Carroll won't get anything at the trade table, likewise Juice. MOTY is not going to up his price. Unless he comes in in a week or two and gets people talking.

????

Mistakes? We got a pick 14 for Woey who did nothing with his last few years. Bell hasn't been a star but he would attract something on the trade table, and we got good service from him last year...

Jolly left of his own accord.

And as for TJ, he'll be doing nothing in a few years, and Grimes wil be JUST starting to come good! What if Grimes is a 250-game veteran?

Woey's trade was good value, just a big loss at the time.

Jolly, well okay. We could of kept him though.

TJ, we'll see but huge loss mate.

Do you see clubs like Geelong trading off there best players like we do? Dont think so.

At the end of '04 with apparently promising signs on the horizon, you'd be a brave man to have said that you'd chose Jolly over White. So i think that, along with the loss of Simmonds, can be passed. Of course, Jolly is now a premiership player, but so is Armstrong, and so is Bishop, you'd be a liar to claim you saw these two wins coming the year before.

Woey was not a big loss. Club favourite yes. But he dropped 7 possessions a game the years before, and became a tag a long midfielder amongst our crop the next year. When he left for Collingwood (admittedly in unwanted circumstances) he was no where near the player he once was, but having said that he was not the player he was even at MFC in '01 and '02 and therefore his removal was not a loss but a step for the future which never proved a wrong decision.

TJ, not a huge loss. Skillful player who will deliver nothing when we are a premiership threat. Would be a huge loss if this year, or next year, we were a top 4 side with three guys who could take close tags in the middle. But we won't be up there for 2-3 years when Trav have stopped working for the Lions, isn't getting a game and Grimes is starting to find his position on an AFL field. Trav is not a huge loss, it was a huge decision which will have great rewards for our club in rebulding a lost culture of self respect and dominance through self belief and team unity.

At the time I wouldnt have picked Jolly over White. Though it was clearly obvious Jolly had what it takes and would be Jeffs long term replacement. Poor decision to let him run.

I disagree with TJ not being a loss. He would of flourished under DB.

Anyway there is no point continuining to argue but we must be careful in trade week, agreed?

you're not backing a winner with this argument sylv.

jolly wanted to go. we didnt have a choice. white was a much better ruckman. if it wasn't for the centre circle, white would have always been a much better ruckman. and i still think the fact that jolly is rated highly by people really just demonstrates how poor the quality of ruckmen and of how little importance a ruckman is these days. in fact consider we got jolly off the rookie list, traded him for pick 15 (dunn)

wowey was the best trade the mfc has ever made. they made a big call on a favourite son, and did what was right for the club (and got daniel bell for him). pity hey didnt trade yze around the same time and white a year or two later...

and TJ? how can you possibly think that will come back to bite us? he has an amazing skill set and could do anything. i even have his (read grimesys) number on my back, but that was a great call to trade him. he didnt perform at the mfc, he wasnt going to win us a premiership, he wasnt going to be around when we next were going to challange for finals. he contributed to our poor off field culture. he was a chronic under performer.

and for all that we got a first round pick?

mfc 1 - bris 0 in that trade im afraid.

.........but Bruce is over-paid, has unbelievably inconsistent and shocking disposal, and is just not a leader. ..........

Agreed, Bruce is over paid, but who isn't at the MFC.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we HAVE TO pay a minimum of the Salary Cap of about 92%(?). Neita is retired, as will be Yze and Holland (and White?) at least, and our share of TJ's salary for 08 becomes available in 09. So we have plenty of room under the SC next year, even at 92%.

So who do we pay it to? Bruce is doing very well, as I'm sure is Green, and probably McLean. We have a space under the SC to pay a marquee player. God I'd love to have Pavlich, but I think he'll end up with a club nearer to challenging for a premiership - Adelaide?

So. who's left? A gun, who will be a marquee player in 1/2/3 years, and is under 25. (And we wouldn't have to backend his contract.)

Thoughts?

So. who's left? A gun, who will be a marquee player in 1/2/3 years, and is under 25. (And we wouldn't have to backend his contract.)

This is where we should be looking at blokes like Kurt Tippett, Salopek, and I do believe we have a shot at The Pav......

Will be interesting

Send Cameron Bruce and Chris Johnson to Fremantle

Receive

David Mundy and Freos 2nd rounder (will be around pick 18 or 19)

id do it just for the pick, Bruce for a 18 year old, considering his age could let him go. must retain Green. Johhson yet to prove himself as a consistent performer at this level.

Geelong's premiership team had Ottens and Mooney, who they secured via trades, didn't they? That's not a bad return.

They were traded draft picks. They were not PSD.

I think we have all liked Carroll. Plays the game with alot of heart. I too doubt another club would want him. Will be interesting to see come October. Surely we wont keep him though?

If he cant get a game in a bottom side and is culture sore there will be no Club chasing him.

If we did not trade Jolly he would have walk to the PSD 12 months later and we would have got nothing. Woey was dissolving as a footballer and we made the right move. And TJ...well go figure. TJ would have no place to hide with DB.

Bell wont pull more than a 3rd rounder. Carroll is finished. Newton's upside is great for MFC but he is a frustration. If we cant get a bigger input we should consider what we can get for him.

...And TJ...well go figure. TJ would have no place to hide with DB.

And another indifferent year would have had his trade value much reduced - certainly not a 1st rd pick..

.....Newton's upside is great for MFC but he is a frustration. If we cant get a bigger input we should consider what we can get for him.

Zero/nothing.