Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

I am not sure why you are gloating. I picked you up on the double standard of say Clarke should never been Captain and is not a leader but wanting to retaining him on as Captain.

Buchanan does not rate Clarke as a Captain but he has not hypocritically argued that he would have kept Clarke on for 12 months to mentor Smith. At least Buchanan could not be that stupid.

you really can't see past your nose can you.

Clark is fine as tactician & onfield Captain, & as he's already in-place as Captain, the stage was set for Smith, who is the natural choice to replace Clark, he (smith) would be better off watching Clark for another 12 months; 'thinking' not as a player any more, but as THE captain in waiting...

So Smith can see what Clark does, & silently scutinising all the pros & cons of Clarks actions, during the 12 months. Because Smith is still a little immature to be leader, just yet.

as it is, he will now be thrown to the wolves. & have ti fight & make his personal mistakes along the way.. this thinking of mine wasn't taking into account the retiring of the likes of others like Rogers & Harris straight away, as IMO we were on the cusp of a good development period of slow transition.

now it will be all a bit rushed, so we are now looking at a heavier rebuild.

Also, ripping article on Cricinfo by David Hopps - http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2015/content/story/911881.html

When you read it, and think about how the series has panned out, it's hard to see how England have beaten us three times. Lyth is awful, Cook's reached 50 once this entire series, Bairstow/Ballance have been just average, Stokes started well with the bat but has faded, and Buttler's not scoring runs either. The runs come from Bell or Root, and each has only played maybe 3 or 4 great innings. With the assistance of Moeen, Broad and Wood making some lower order runs when required, they've done enough with the bat to hold us at bay and relied on our ineptitude with the bat.

He also points out the no ball problem that's getting worse. Finn and Marsh both took wickets on no balls, and both times the gap between foot and line was enormous. Umpires are so worried about making the right decision at the striker's end that they seem to be missing regulation no balls, let alone tight ones. Bowlers are pushing the envelope with it because they're not being called through their spells, which results in more no balls occurring, and any time you take a wicket they're going to check. Bowlers obviously can fix the problem by learning to bowl from behind the crease but if umpires let them go aside from wicket balls, it's going to keep happening.

we've not approached anywhere near our potential, this tour until now, & appeared very distracted right from the first test.... once off balance, with a bad start & really swinging ball darting about, the belief was shot early.

Siddle gets the 1st wicket of the 2nd innings.

I'm telling you, he's back! :):cool:

Current figures of 4-4-0-1.

Hazlewood was supposed to provide this kind of control but failed, which resulted in Johnson and Starc being less effective. Losing 3 Tests to a side with such weak batsmen (Lyth made 96 runs in the entire series, FFS!) is a major disappointment.

Our batting has cost us this series, but Marsh and Lehmann have not assisted with their poor selections.

Edited by titan_uranus

And now the other retiree Rogers has dropped Bell also.

Much harder chance, but this is getting a joke.

But thankfully now Bell is out anyway caught by Clarke. Odd last 20min!

I know we're right on top. But Mitchell Starc's bowling today has been concerning.

He's all over the place at the moment. I suspect this may be the last time they play the two left arm quicks together (baring injuries). Better balance may be Johnson, Siddle, Cummins.

• Like 1

Nice win by the Aussies in the end to finish off a disapointing series.

Very odd way the whole thing played out, we had the two leading run scorers and thre eof the top 4 wicket takers for the series, yet loose the Ashes? Haddin's drop of Root on the first morning could wel have been the critical point of the whole series.

New era under Smith will begin now starting with the tour of Bangladesh. So will be interesting to see what the makeup of the team will be? Think it may be along the lines of:

Cameron Bancroft (seems a lock to make his debut)

David Warner (vice captain)

Joe Burns/Usman Khawaja (not sure which will get the nod. Personally I think Burns has a better game/balance between defence & attack.)

Steve Smith (captain, number 4 suits better.)

Adam Voges/Peter Handscomb (Voges saved his spot for now with two half centuries in his last two innings. Poor series in Bangladesh will see Handscomb debut IMO.)

Mitch Marsh/Glenn Maxwell (All rounder spot should become rotatable I reckon. Seaming wicket Marsh, spinning wicket Maxwell. So in Australia, England. South Africa, New Zeland - Marsh, Asia & Windies Maxwell)

Peter Nevill (will be given a run as keeper, although I'm not convinced yet. Wade & Ludeman breathing down his neck.)

Mitchell Johnson (lead the attack. Eye should be on 2017/18 Ashes swansong. Starc as the standbye Mitch.)

Pat Cummins/James Pattinson (whichever is fit at the time. Will be good to see Cummins.)

Peter Siddle (I'd have him as a lock in the XI for his control. Hazlewood & Sandhu should keep the heat on, but Sidds has it for now.)

Nathan Lyon (easily our best spinner. Agar, Zampa & Muirhead need to show something.)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I think Siddle reemerges now, more important, while this team rebuilds, to maintain a healthy Aussie fighting culture. Stark & others need to get more from themselves & not stagnate in attitude.

I reckon it will be Pattinson & Cummins, who will be our new fast machines, looking ahead, possibly with Faulkner, if he can mature & focus. We need that partnership breaker, & also we need a great seamer. When he turns up, Siddle will be ready to hang up the boots.

also i think Warners broken thumb is a blessing, at this time, to help us get that opening spot moving along.

AUSTRALIA SQUAD FOR QANTAS TOUR OF BANGLADESH

Steve Smith ©, Adam Voges (vc), Cameron Bancroft, Joe Burns, Patrick Cummins, Andrew Fekete, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Peter Nevill, Stephen O’Keefe, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc

Interesting squad.

10 thoughts:

1. Nathan Lyon stiff not to be VC

2. Just the one keeper, selectors seem confident in Nevill

3. Usman is back

4. Shaun Marsh never dies

5. Johnson rightfully rested

6. Maxwell and O'Keffe are both interesting players, batting allrounder, bowling allrounder

7. Bancroft and Burns the first youngsters to get a chance

8. Not sure what to make of Cummins, I really think he needs to play first class cricket before his next test cap

9. Shocked that Fekete gets the nod over Sandhu

10. No Agar, shame, still think he has a future as a test spinner, just in the long term not short

• 3 weeks later...

Disapointing to see the series v Bangladesh called off: http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh-v-australia-2015-16/content/story/924781.html

Good for the domestic ODD competition at least, and all our test players will also get a round of Shield season before the NZ test series begins.

Feel for the Bangladesh fans, who don't get to see Australia play there very often. Wonder when (if at all) they postpone it to?

• 4 weeks later...

Australia are dominating after the opening day of the first test against NZ.

Warner (163) and Khawaja (102*) both made hundreds while Burns (71*) contributed a handy fifty in his first knock as test opener. Steve Smith (41*) and Khawaja are now at the crease and look set for a big second day.

• Like 1

Australia are dominating after the opening day of the first test against NZ.

Warner (163) and Khawaja (102*) both made hundreds while Burns (71*) contributed a handy fifty in his first knock as test opener. Steve Smith (41*) and Khawaja are now at the crease and look set for a big second day.

I'd expect the Kiwi's to fight things out from here on in but they'll need a lot more rain to avoid defeat. More rain is forecast for today and tomorrow and bad light might come into it as well.

Hazlewood has bowled without luck in this test ... the selectors might rotate him and Siddle this summer but I'd be giving Hazlewood as many games as possible.

The batting order suddenly has some stability to it ... the Sheffield Shield system continues to replenish the team just when many might have predicted that the team could have struggled for a while. Of course, it's only 1 test but we look to be getting back on track.

Well done to Burns & Khawaja on their maiden test centuries. Warner is getting better and better ... not only is he a hard man to dislodge now but he continues to churn out the big shots.

Cuzzys in a but of shut eh bru?

Warner has played test cricket for less than 4 years and has already hit 15 centuries (including 12 centuries in the last 24 months) The way players are extending their career's these days he could end up playing for another 8 years (at least)

So how many centuries all up? 40? More?

He could easily get another two or three 100's this summer alone ... then we go to New Zealand early next year for another 2 tests.

As for this test ... another fizzer of a contest by the looks of it. It could get even more one-sided when we play the Windies (Gayle, Bravo, Sammy and 1 or 2 others are playing in the big bash instead)

CA really needs to find a way for either England, South Africa or India to be here playing tests every summer.

We know the South Africans won't come here over Xmas but 4 tests could easily be scheduled for mid/late Oct through to mid/late Nov. As it stands, South Africa and Pakistan are here next summer but this year's scheduling lacks real drawing power.

We don't play South Africa nearly enough anyway ... and when we do it's for 3 tests only (generally)

The Ashes home & away could be played over 3 years instead of 4 and having a strong team like India here every 3 years would create a lot of interest.

• Like 1

Warner has played test cricket for less than 4 years and has already hit 15 centuries (including 12 centuries in the last 24 months) The way players are extending their career's these days he could end up playing for another 8 years (at least)

He could easily get another two or three 100's this summer alone ... then we go to New Zealand early next year for another 2 tests.

As for this test ... another fizzer of a contest by the looks of it. It could get even more one-sided when we play the Windies (Gayle, Bravo, Sammy and 1 or 2 others are playing in the big bash instead)

CA really needs to find a way for either England, South Africa or India to be here playing tests every summer.

We know the South Africans won't come here over Xmas but 4 tests could easily be scheduled for mid/late Oct through to mid/late Nov. As it stands, South Africa and Pakistan are here next summer but this year's scheduling lacks real drawing power.

We don't play South Africa nearly enough anyway ... and when we do it's for 3 tests only (generally)

The Ashes home & away could be played over 3 years instead of 4 and having a strong team like India here every 3 years would create a lot of interest.

..... 'saturation', will make it less palatable, to the material set. whom want everything now, on a platter, in a rush of gush.

..... 'saturation', will make it less palatable, to the material set. whom want everything now, on a platter, in a rush of gush.

The terrorist attacks in France makes sport (at least for me) to be quite insignificant for the time being.

Will chat to you about the programming at a later date dl.

• Like 1

The terrorist attacks in France makes sport (at least for me) to be quite insignificant for the time being.

Will chat to you about the programming at a later date dl.

I awoke at daybreak n pain with irritable bowel syndrome, got up, took some med's, & eventually settled down & fell asleep again, till 11.00am. saw the news on telly in bed, still zonked, trying to find the time of morning?

I'm becoming numb to this stuff, I've learnt to accept pain, & even expect it, & my tolerances for pain are extremely High. so I tend to just ignore it. but this leaves you sort of detached.

.... but I feel sad for the french people, whom I've loved... since going there 1992; with an expectation of rude arrogant snobs. I found friendliness & warmth, with smiles, cheer & a gentle warm people. Love the place.

viva la france`

Been out of action on this thread for some time.

The thing that's annoyoing me is we're no longer seeing an even contest between bat & ball. New Zealand have done well to make something of this match, but teams shouldn't be making 400 & 500+ everytime they bat first which is sdaly becoming the trend in Australia.

Agree with your point about trying to have one of England, India or South Arfica out here every year. And I thought I read somewhere that South Afrcia were going to come out for Boxing Day again, but I'll have to search for that.

On an individual note, Australia should be concerned about the significant loss of form of Mitchell Johnson.

Since the start of the Ashses, Johnson has taken 20 wickets in 6.5 tests (including this one up till stumps Day 3) @ 40.90 form 204.1 overs, meaning he's also going at 4 runs an over. I think it's fair to say Mitchell Starc has become the leader of our attack.

Josh Hazlewood has also been hugely disapointing. It must be said, that our wickets have turned into roads, but if that is the case then CA should look at players like Siddle who know how to bowl on these dead wickets.

For me, I'd look at bringing Pattinson & Siddle in for Johnson & Hazlewood. I'd bring Siddle in as early as the Adelaide test, and maybe hold Pattinson over until Boxing Day, just to give Mitch a few more tests to get his mojo back.

As for the question of who comes in for Khawaja. I hope Klinger gest his chance, he's in great form, and at his age you can justify him coming in for cover for two test matches given he can bat anywhere. Also if Handscomb can make some runs in the 2nd Innings he'd have to come into consideration given he made a 100 in the openning Shield Match and didn't get a chance to bat v NSW.

If Shaun Marsh comes back into the test team, I'd have to consider giving it away I think!

• Like 1

Been out of action on this thread for some time.

The thing that's annoyoing me is we're no longer seeing an even contest between bat & ball. New Zealand have done well to make something of this match, but teams shouldn't be making 400 & 500+ everytime they bat first which is sdaly becoming the trend in Australia.

Agree with your point about trying to have one of England, India or South Arfica out here every year. And I thought I read somewhere that South Afrcia were going to come out for Boxing Day again, but I'll have to search for that.

On an individual note, Australia should be concerned about the significant loss of form of Mitchell Johnson.

Since the start of the Ashses, Johnson has taken 20 wickets in 6.5 tests (including this one up till stumps Day 3) @ 40.90 form 204.1 overs, meaning he's also going at 4 runs an over. I think it's fair to say Mitchell Starc has become the leader of our attack.

Josh Hazlewood has also been hugely disapointing. It must be said, that our wickets have turned into roads, but if that is the case then CA should look at players like Siddle who know how to bowl on these dead wickets.

For me, I'd look at bringing Pattinson & Siddle in for Johnson & Hazlewood. I'd bring Siddle in as early as the Adelaide test, and maybe hold Pattinson over until Boxing Day, just to give Mitch a few more tests to get his mojo back.

As for the question of who comes in for Khawaja. I hope Klinger gest his chance, he's in great form, and at his age you can justify him coming in for cover for two test matches given he can bat anywhere. Also if Handscomb can make some runs in the 2nd Innings he'd have to come into consideration given he made a 100 in the openning Shield Match and didn't get a chance to bat v NSW.

If Shaun Marsh comes back into the test team, I'd have to consider giving it away I think!

Further to my above comments re: Hazlewood, so far this series he's taken 4 wickets @ 68 with an economy rate of 3.8. With Johnson's retirement i really hope they do bring Siddle & Pattinson back into the XI. Could really do with Siddle's experience.

Three wickets for Pattinson for the Vics today also helps his chances.

• Like 1