Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

Further to my above comments re: Hazlewood, so far this series he's taken 4 wickets @ 68 with an economy rate of 3.8. With Johnson's retirement i really hope they do bring Siddle & Pattinson back into the XI. Could really do with Siddle's experience.

Three wickets for Pattinson for the Vics today also helps his chances.

I think your right AAC. we need Sid's RArm experience, & Patto's venom & speed, & left handed bat..

but also, how's Faulkner going this current season? we need him to take a step.

I think your right AAC. we need Sid's RArm experience, & Patto's venom & speed, & left handed bat..

but also, how's Faulkner going this current season? we need him to take a step.

Struggling unfortunately Faulkner.

Made 105 runs in 6 innings so far this season @ 17.50 with the bat. Taken 9 wickets @ 28.11 with the ball however at an economy of 2.69.

I think Mitch Marsh keeps his spot due lack of options.

I do think Marcus Stoinis is a better option personally as he is a batsman who can bowl more then useful medium pace.

First class batting average of 39.5 with a bowling average of 61.71 with 14 wickets from 25 matches that doesn't read that well. However last Shield season he made 785 runs @ 49.06 and took 7 wickets @ 40.14 with an economy rate of 3.16 having bowled 88.4 overs, so he's a bit more then part time.

So far this season he's yet to take a wicket, however is averaging 43 with the bat with two half centuries in his 4 digs. Having said that I reckon they'll stick fat with Marsh.

Won't happen, but I'd like to see 4 changes for Adelaide with three debutants.

OUT

Johnson (ret)

Khawaja (inj)

Marsh (dropped)

Hazlewood (dropped)

IN

Siddle

Fawad

Stoinis

Klinger

Australian XI

Burns

Warner

Klinger

Smith*

Voges

Stoinis

+Nevill

Starc

Siddle

Lyon

Fawad

Watch Hazlewood & Marsh keep their spots though.

Struggling unfortunately Faulkner.

Made 105 runs in 6 innings so far this season @ 17.50 with the bat. Taken 9 wickets @ 28.11 with the ball however at an economy of 2.69.

I think Mitch Marsh keeps his spot due lack of options.

I do think Marcus Stoinis is a better option personally as he is a batsman who can bowl more then useful medium pace.

First class batting average of 39.5 with a bowling average of 61.71 with 14 wickets from 25 matches that doesn't read that well. However last Shield season he made 785 runs @ 49.06 and took 7 wickets @ 40.14 with an economy rate of 3.16 having bowled 88.4 overs, so he's a bit more then part time.

So far this season he's yet to take a wicket, however is averaging 43 with the bat with two half centuries in his 4 digs. Having said that I reckon they'll stick fat with Marsh.

Won't happen, but I'd like to see 4 changes for Adelaide with three debutants.

OUT

Johnson (ret)

Khawaja (inj)

Marsh (dropped)

Hazlewood (dropped)

IN

Siddle

Fawad

Stoinis

Klinger

Australian XI

Burns

Warner

Klinger

Smith*

Voges

Stoinis

+Nevill

Starc

Siddle

Lyon

Fawad

Watch Hazlewood & Marsh keep their spots though.

I'm looking forward to Faulkner maturing. He strikes me as the partnership breaker... like one SWaugh was. not comparing them, just saying that the partnership breakers, when nothing will happen, are GOLD.

his change up is good IMO. its not about stats for me, as much as effectiveness, as that bowling break-thru bowler, but he has to bat down a bit, & earn his keep.

know nothing of Stoinis, haven't heard, nor seen.

........... maybe Faulkner is a bit like Warner was, a bit of a 'bloke', who needs to wake up, for his talents sake.

Announced the 13 man squad for the next today.

Pattinson in (early)

O'Keefe (baggy blue/baggy green selection)

S. Marsh (FMD!)

They're not giving up on Marsh are they? I thought it was a perfect opportunity to blood Bancroft - he hasn't hit a lot of runs this summer but I thought he was more a chance because of his potential and greater upside. A few of the other younger batsmen around the country might have been considered but Shaun gets another chance to prove himself.

I can understand O'Keefe getting a call up because he's been in the mix for a while and deserves a chance ... not sure we'll play 2 spinners but Lehmann has hinted that we might. The selectors might like to see how he would work in tandem with Lyon.

Pattinson for his fire-power yeah ... Siddle would have to be a chance too. I wonder if they'll rest Hazlewood and play both Pattinson & Siddle? There are a series of 8-11 day breaks between the next 3 tests (including the current break) so the bowlers will be getting plenty of rest.

Here's how I think we'll line up ...

Burns

Warner

Smith

Voges

S Marsh

M Marsh

Nevill

Starc

Pattinson

Siddle or O'Keefe depending on the look of the wicket.

Lyon

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So DRS "hotspot" shows that Lyon nicked the ball (from 3 different angles) yet that is ruled inconclusive? Why have the technology if it's not going to be trusted?

Human error I can deal with if it doesn't involve technology but this decision looked quite clear cut according to hotspot. We're supposed to be trying to eliminate the howlers.

Otherwise the day/night test and the pink ball is turning out to be a resounding success (so far) ... I can see more scheduling of day/night tests in Australia (and not just in Adelaide) The Melbourne and Sydney Tests will probably remain day games but you never know.

Edited by Macca

This cricket season badly needs an injection of interest. 

The Adelaide Test was a good spectacle and close encounter. Day/Night concept and pink ball a resounding success with crowds over 40K for each of the 3 days. Unfortunately it only lasted 3 days. Perhaps it's partly to do with the changes: -

• Night concept, cooler conditions creating swing and favourable towards the bowlers
  • Pink Ball....swing
  • Grass coverage on pitch favoured bowlers - - - > contributed to swing and uncertainty for batsman

All in all, it made for an interesting Test and did grab my attention a lot more than that of Brisbane and Perth Tests. This Summer certainly needed it and NZ can count themselves very unlucky with poor decisions this Test clearly favouring the Aussies.

No one likes the flat track bully conditions that have traditionally favoured long drawn out Tests and excellent batting conditions for the Aussies on their home dung hill. 

A pitch which clearly offers something for bowlers in swing - even bowlers who can't get swing - and a challenge for the Aussie batsmen, is good for cricket and may help the Aussies prepare for Ashes series in England. It demands patience.

Now for the West Indies. They're depleted at the best of times these days. The Aussies will be playing against a line up akin to Ringwood's or South Melbourne's 2nds team. 

Melbourne and Sydney Tests should be demanding the Aussies bat first, just to guarantee to get through to Day 3 in each Test...

• Like 3

A blockathon in the India v SAf test.

South Africa are 5/136 off 138 overs (85 maidens) at tea on the last day, trying to rescue the test.

Amla 25 off 244 balls, Du Plessis 10 off 97, AB de Villiers 43 not out off 296.

Edited by mauriesy
Update

583/4 dec. Voges 269no....not bad.

There is a glimmer of hope we'll reach day 3 and see cricket this weekend...the Tasmanians looking forward to the weekend may get to see some of the Test. They'll be praying the WI see out today. Currently 2/58 and looking shaky..

• Like 1

The way this series looks like it's going to go says to me it's time to introduce a two tiered test system.

Promote Ireland & Afghanistan and have two tiers of 6 teams. You play a home & away series against each team in your tier over the course of 3 years, and after that the bottom ranked team from tier one is relegated and the top team from tier two is promoted.

One sided series like what we're about to see aren't good for the game.

On 11/12/2015 at 4:43 PM, AngryAtCasey said:

The way this series looks like it's going to go says to me it's time to introduce a two tiered test system.

Promote Ireland & Afghanistan and have two tiers of 6 teams. You play a home & away series against each team in your tier over the course of 3 years, and after that the bottom ranked team from tier one is relegated and the top team from tier two is promoted.

One sided series like what we're about to see aren't good for the game.

I believe the ICC needs to help West Indian cricket ... I've been hearing for 20 years or more that a lot of their young talent is snapped up by American Universities (for their basketball, baseball, American football and track & field programs)

If that is true it then largely explains why they've stopped producing superstar cricketers.

Those wanting to blame t20 need to understand that the West Indies have been on the decline from the early 90's and they are a shadow of their former selves. Their first class system wouldn't reward the participants with boat loads of cash and those West Indian cricketers concentrating on t20 are not exactly "great" cricketers anyway (Gayle is a top player but the others are average without being stars of the game)

So, if the solution lies with doing as much as possible to steer those young talented sportsmen towards cricket, then the ICC offering lucrative cricket scholarships might be the answer ... Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and to a lesser extent Pakistan, Sri Lanka & New Zealand could be part of that program (as well as the best young talent from Afghanistan, Ireland and the other nations that don't have full test status) There's enough money in the sport to get things right.

I'm not pouring cold water on your idea TD because I believe it has merit but we need to shore up the existing cricket nations as well ... India, Australia, South Africa & England don't really need any help but all the nations could be involved in some way ... especially with the academies/infrastructure etc etc.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

You make some good points Macca, and i think those measures can be introduced while still looking at a two tier system.

Ashley Mallett shares a similar view to myself, however is far more scathing on the Windies then myself:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/australia-v-west-indies-its-time-to-relegate-the-windies-from-top-tests-20151210-gll03b.html

Crust of the article is a similar scenario to what i suggested. Difference being top tier of 7 and bottom of 6. He also suggested Canada and Scotland to be promoted with Ireland rather then Afghanistan which i found strange.

Lets just hope for a better showing from today on.

6 hours ago, AngryAtCasey said:

You make some good points Macca, and i think those measures can be introduced while still looking at a two tier system.

Ashley Mallett shares a similar view to myself, however is far more scathing on the Windies then myself:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/australia-v-west-indies-its-time-to-relegate-the-windies-from-top-tests-20151210-gll03b.html

Crust of the article is a similar scenario to what i suggested. Difference being top tier of 7 and bottom of 6. He also suggested Canada and Scotland to be promoted with Ireland rather then Afghanistan which i found strange.

Lets just hope for a better showing from today on.

Punishing West Indies cricket is not the answer ... I understand the angst but it's counter-productive.

World cricket needs all the test nations to be strong ... including any newcomers. There's loads of money in the sport so to make it largely bullet-proof is do-able.

What we're watching isn't ideal but I see it as an infrastructure & development issue ... Bangladesh should be a strong test nation by now but many people just want to get rid of them because of their short-sighted views.

There are others who just want to blame t20 but again, that's a short-sighted answer ... I've said all along that t20 can help test cricket. Without t20 many young cricketers might choose other sports ... and the other sports are aggressive in the pursuit of young talent - look no further than the AFL for proof positive.

That Mallett article was mostly just an angry rant but he does mention the ICC stepping in - but more so in a way of reading the riot act - again, the young talent in the West Indies is there - but is that young talent being identified & harnessed properly? 

The West Indies board are not cash-rich either so there's now a disincentive for young sportsmen to choose cricket in those Island nations.

Other test nations would previously pay top money for the West Indies to tour their country ... that money has dried up too to a certain degree. Therefore, we end up with a system breakdown.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Macca said:

Punishing West Indies cricket is not the answer ... I understand the angst but it's counter-productive.

World cricket needs all the test nations to be strong ... including any newcomers. There's loads of money in the sport so to make it largely bullet-proof is do-able.

What we're watching isn't pleasant but I see it as an infrastructure & development issue ... Bangladesh should be a strong test nation by now but many people just want to get rid of them because of their short-sighted views.

There are others who just want to blame t20 but again, that's a short-sighted answer ... I've said all along that t20 can help test cricket. Without t20 many young cricketers might choose other sports ... and the other sports are aggressive in the pursuit of young talent - look no further than the AFL for proof positive.

That Mallett article was mostly just an angry rant but he does mention the ICC stepping in - but more so in a way of reading the riot act - again, the young talent in the West Indies is there - but is that young talent being identified & harnessed properly? 

I'll say it again ... a number of the athletically gifted types from the Caribbean are being snapped up by the American universities ... being tall and/or well built is an advantage too. The West Indies board are not cash-rich either so there's now a disincentive for young sportsmen to choose cricket in those Island nations.

And it's been that way for a number of years now.

I agree, to have a strong competition you need an even spread of competative talent & then even-ish results  not conjured ones;   with competition of full spirited-ness & some strong vigour.  to make the hackles stand.

the game is being tarnished by our current political correct femaleness of our recent competitors, which IMO has some roots in higher education... there aint enough cave man bravado going on out in the battle... its all a little bit placid to me.

did d argass plan this as well I wonder ???

Edited by dee-luded

An example of a proper infrastructure is our Sheffield Shield system compared to the first class systems in the West Indies, Zimbabwe & Bangladesh.

Our first class system is heavily subsidised (probably to the tune of about 6-8 million) but what about the West Indies, Zimbabwe & Bangladesh? ... first class cricketers need the security of a decent base salary ... and airfares, accommodation, match payments, stadium availability and upkeep, doctors, physio's et al can all cost a great deal of money.

As a comparison, look at how much money & resources have been thrown in the direction of the GCS & GWS by the AFL.

The West Indies problems are many and it doesn't help that their domestic season coincides with the IPL ... but so does England's and they aren't losing their best test players to t20 (centralised contracts is a big factor for the England cricketers and that's what the West Indies cricketers will ultimately need - in my opinion)

The ICC needs to step in and fix things - that will take time, expertise and lots of money.

Edited by Macca

2 hours ago, Macca said:

An example of infrastructure is our Sheffield Shield system compared to the first class systems in the West Indies, Zimbabwe & Bangladesh.

Ours is heavily subsidised (probably to the tune of about 8-10 million) but what about the West Indies, Zimbabwe & Bangladesh? ... first class cricketers need the security of a decent base salary ... and airfares, accommodation, match payments, stadium availability and upkeep, doctors, physio's et al can all cost a great deal of money.

As a comparison, look at how much money & resources have been thrown in the direction of the GCS & GWS by the AFL.

the real problem is the inequity of the real world.

the kids,,,, with their mums,  see the real world as having big wealth over seas.....  IMO, with this the game changes,,, from a "for the heart',  to a, "from the head" approach for wealth from the families.\

......the status angle has changed, from being a community hero,   to being full of 'Bling'  & 'StreetCred'.

we are losing the triba lism & commmunity   feel & love,   for a fist full of dollars & gold chains.     its more about individualism now.

the game needs less money & a whole lot more t l c.............less TV & more community participation & spirit.  its not about being a cricket star anymore, ( see warnie ) but becoming a tv/media megastar.  the downside of the 'kerry empire'....

Edited by dee-luded

On 12/11/2015 at 2:46 PM, H_T said:

There is a glimmer of hope we'll reach day 3 and see cricket this weekend...

^ I said that with a bit of tongue-in-cheek, but seriously thought there may have been a chance the Aussies would dismantle the WI twice in no time. The Taswegians were lucky to catch a few hours on Saturday. Dismal Test Cricket.

No matter who wins the toss on Boxing Day - send the Aussies into bat so it guarantees some cricket on Day 3! 

Imagine if Pattinson had gone with his original technique in the first innings and not the second in Hobart! .....

Will the Aussies put Khawaja back in and drop Marsh? Or will Burns be stiff?

As good as Marsh was in the first Test against ordinary bowling, Khawaja who played brilliantly against NZ, deserves to come back IMO after injury. 

• 2 weeks later...

Warnie is his jovial self on channel nine.

No mention of the SW Foundation today,funnily enough.

What an utter disgrace our charitable organisations have become.

Worse than irrelevant peddlers of chicken and beer our cricketers are nowadays.

• Like 1

Good on Joe Burns.

No senators son.

Also Usman.

Not a  Marsh either.

Well done selectors.

As always,feck the admin for letting WI get weak.

• Like 1

These 2 won't get a better chance to cash in ... an opportunity to boost the aggregate and average with a big score. 

Hard to believe that the Windies haven't played a test in Melbourne for 15 years. Still, their batsmen might get amongst them on this track ... then again, they may not.