Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

Krejza should come in for Watson. He took 2 wickets in the first innings, didn't really get a bowl in the second, and failed with the bat both times. Adelaide should be more conducive to spin as well.

No doubt he will.

IIRC Hohns said that we'd like a spinner in our team but the state of the Gabba pitch made us readjust our plans.

All over red rover. Australia win by 149 runs.

How's this for injustice: Johnson gets man of the match for taking 9 wickets on a bowler's pitch. How about Katich's match defining 131 not out? Not only was Katich clearly man of the match, but I'd have had Clarke and Clark above Johnson: Clarke for his 98 which saved our first innings, Clark for the important wickets that he took. Johnson was good, but not that good.

I agree Titan. Katich's innings I thought was definitely a man-of-the-match innings, on a wicket that was difficult to bat on and did favour the quicks.

However, Johnson not only bowled well, but hung around with the bat when batting with Katich. Either way they both played well.

No doubt he will.

IIRC Hohns said that we'd like a spinner in our team but the state of the Gabba pitch made us readjust our plans.

:)

Had it been a regular Gabba pitch, Krejza would of played.

All over red rover. Australia win by 149 runs.

How's this for injustice: Johnson gets man of the match for taking 9 wickets on a bowler's pitch. How about Katich's match defining 131 not out? Not only was Katich clearly man of the match, but I'd have had Clarke and Clark above Johnson: Clarke for his 98 which saved our first innings, Clark for the important wickets that he took. Johnson was good, but not that good.

Firstly, it was only a bowlers wicket on the first day and Australia batted on that. For the remaining days with the exception of Clarke, Taylor and Katich, no batsman applied the concentration and technique to take advantage of the conditions.

Katich's innings put the match beyond NZ. The match was already defined by the low scores of the first innings and the big question mark over NZ' batting application.

Clarke with a century in the making and just before stumps went out to a one day trundler. Then inexplicably ran himself out in the 2nd innings. Two bad lapses of concentration.

Clark bowled well but his results on every measure were inferior to Johnsons.

Credit where credit was due, Johnson performed with bat and ball. Lee is struggling at the moment and much is starting to rest on Johnson with the new ball in the near future. Lee may have taken his 300th wicket but his 1/53 off 9 was rather pedestrian. I doubt he will be around for 400 wickets.

Firstly, it was only a bowlers wicket on the first day and Australia batted on that. For the remaining days with the exception of Clarke, Taylor and Katich, no batsman applied the concentration and technique to take advantage of the conditions.

Katich's innings put the match beyond NZ. The match was already defined by the low scores of the first innings and the big question mark over NZ' batting application.

Clarke with a century in the making and just before stumps went out to a one day trundler. Then inexplicably ran himself out in the 2nd innings. Two bad lapses of concentration.

Clark bowled well but his results on every measure were inferior to Johnsons.

Credit where credit was due, Johnson performed with bat and ball. Lee is struggling at the moment and much is starting to rest on Johnson with the new ball in the near future. Lee may have taken his 300th wicket but his 1/53 off 9 was rather pedestrian. I doubt he will be around for 400 wickets.

Of Johnson's 9 wickets, 5 of them were bowlers (batting positions 8-11). IMO, scoring an unbeaten 131 on a batting deck that undoubtedly was tougher to bat on than bowl on deserves more credit than taking 9 NZ wickets. Oh well.

Agree re: Lee. He's down something like 5 to 10 km/h on average compared to last summer. I wonder how he'll go against the South African batsmen.

Of Johnson's 9 wickets, 5 of them were bowlers (batting positions 8-11). IMO, scoring an unbeaten 131 on a batting deck that undoubtedly was tougher to bat on than bowl on deserves more credit than taking 9 NZ wickets. Oh well.

Agree re: Lee. He's down something like 5 to 10 km/h on average compared to last summer. I wonder how he'll go against the South African batsmen.

I agree Katich probably had claims but not either of the Clarks/ Clarkes. However, I completely disagree about the wicket. After the first day, the pitch was fine for batting. In fact on day 3 and 4 the TV and radio commentators said it was a cracker to bat on with few cracks and the pitch was hard. The batting from both sides with exceptions was mediocre at best.

And given your comments about Lee just makes Johnsons efforts even better.

The selectors will be hoping to certainly take Lee to England for the Ashes as none of other bowlers quick or spin will have had English experience. They will give him every chance to make it.

Lee was incredibly ill throughout the tour of India, particularly in the last test and upon getting home, and bowled badly losing a lot of pace.......

It was improved in this match although his second innings was not particularly impressive, but for me his first innings was easily the best of our quicks, and the best he has bowled since last summer. He may not have got all the wickets (two or three I think) but he was superb and that was a good sign.

He generally thrives on long spells and gets better the longer he is bowling so hopefully by the time the Saffies get to Perth he will be better again.

And also lets hope that the Perth pitch gives the quicks something to get excited about and isn't just a batting mecca as it has been in recent times. I always liked it when it was a little dangerous and gave the bowlers something to play on (then again I like that in all pitches so current times do annoy me a lot)

The selectors will be hoping to certainly take Lee to England for the Ashes as none of other bowlers quick or spin will have had English experience. They will give him every chance to make it.

Definitely. I still rate Lee as a bowler. He has that knack of dismissing top order batsmen on Australian soil. And he's still something like the 6th best bowler according to ICC rankings. I just don't think he will be around for too many more seasons.

Speaking of the Ashes, how do people rate our chances? I've heard plenty of commentators suggest that England will go into the series favourites if we don't crush the South Africans, which seems a bit odd to me, given England's current Test squad. I think the upcoming England v India series will give a good indication of where England's at.

Definitely. I still rate Lee as a bowler. He has that knack of dismissing top order batsmen on Australian soil. And he's still something like the 6th best bowler according to ICC rankings. I just don't think he will be around for too many more seasons.

Speaking of the Ashes, how do people rate our chances? I've heard plenty of commentators suggest that England will go into the series favourites if we don't crush the South Africans, which seems a bit odd to me, given England's current Test squad. I think the upcoming England v India series will give a good indication of where England's at.

England have two potential match winners in Petersen and Flintoff. It rests with them as I dont think there is much else in the English side ATM. I am not sure if its a case of England being favorite. More like the gap between the two sides at the end of the last series being reduced. The SA series will be important to determine the composition of the Australian team.

The lead up will be fascinating watch. I just hope the 2009 series is nearly as good as 2005 series. It may be asking too much to get one better. Prefer to win the Ashes.

The lead up will be fascinating watch. I just hope the 2009 series is nearly as good as 2005 series. It may be asking too much to get one better. Prefer to win the Ashes.

Chris Rogers didn't harm his aspirations to return to the Aussie team. A timely reminder with back-to-back centuries against WA in Perth at the WACA for the mighty VICS!

Just when M.Hayden is struggling for form...

VICS STORM TO TOP OF SHEFFIELD SHIELD TABLE

England have two potential match winners in Petersen and Flintoff. It rests with them as I dont think there is much else in the English side ATM.

They've also got Ryan Sidebottom, who's in the top 5 Test bowlers rankings. But yeah, they're a bit devoid of talent after that. Pietersen as captain doesn't strike me as right either.

And how about Nathan Hauritz? Can't get a game for NSW, but it seems as though Hilditch and co. prefer finger spinners to wrist spinners (or so I read in one of the papers), and so they went with Hauritz. Casson does only have 1 wicket in 3 matches for NSW this season, but I can't believe they've gone for a hack like Hauritz before him.

They've also got Ryan Sidebottom, who's in the top 5 Test bowlers rankings. But yeah, they're a bit devoid of talent after that. Pietersen as captain doesn't strike me as right either.

And how about Nathan Hauritz? Can't get a game for NSW, but it seems as though Hilditch and co. prefer finger spinners to wrist spinners (or so I read in one of the papers), and so they went with Hauritz. Casson does only have 1 wicket in 3 matches for NSW this season, but I can't believe they've gone for a hack like Hauritz before him.

Sidebottom has done his back.

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/england/co...ory/378762.html

In regard to spinners, isnt it a case of Ol' Mother Hubbard? I note Bryce McGain is making the long road back. I guess anyone who bowls off breaks is a chance of selection. Funky Miller anyone?

Very happy with the Vics form and progress in both the Sheffield Shield and One day Domestic format. On top of both tables now approaching the halfway mark of the '08/'09 Cricket Season. David Hookes certainly left a great workmanlike legacy behind. The Vics have the confidence to win from any position. One match that sticks out from a few seasons ago was when the Vics chased down 400+ runs on the final day of a Pura Cup game against NSW in Newcastle. David Hussey leading the charge with a mammoth innings. From that point on their confidence grew and the VICS have been more than competitive ever since. Greg Shipperd has continued Victoria's dominance in both forms of the game ever since, finishing in the one-two positions on most if not all occassions.

May the VICS continue their attractive style by taking the game on and take out both forms of the game this season.

How unfortunate it is to hear what has happened in Mumbai this morning. It has resulted in the cancellation or postponement of the 20/20 Championships in India. With the Victorian team set to embark on their tour of India of the Championships tomorrow night, it's disturbing news that bombings, shootings and grenade attacks on hotels, transport facilities, hospitals supposedly aimed at supposedly western society.

It has also been reported that Shane Warne and Darren Berry were fortunate to hear of the news before boarding a plane in Singapore bound for Mumbai. They were allegedly planning to stay at one of the hotels where one of the bombs went off.

Not only is it a shame for the Victorian team and cricket in general. But once again it is a shameful reminder to me of how society is in the world today. Situations like these just really infuriate me and is a timely reminder unfortunately of the world we now live in. As a parent, whilst it makes me angry, it just makes me all the more cautious and protective of my children, family and friends.

May those who take these actions, and have said to have killed already over 90 people and seriously injured over 200 be brought to justice in more ways than one.

HT.

I'd certainly rather take Hauritz's current figures of 2/47 off 11 overs, than Brett Lee's return of 0/49 off 13 overs with 6 no balls, any day. Beginning to feel a little concerned for Brett Lee's future in the top flight. He can turn his form around, he just needs to do it and quickly. He usually has a day out against the Kiwi's.

LIVE SCORE UPDATES

I'd certainly rather take Hauritz's current figures of 2/47 off 11 overs, than Brett Lee's return of 0/49 off 13 overs with 6 no balls, any day. Beginning to feel a little concerned for Brett Lee's future in the top flight. He can turn his form around, he just needs to do it and quickly. He usually has a day out against the Kiwi's.

LIVE SCORE UPDATES

2/47 off 11 overs, well I guess that was always going to happen! :lol:

Why siddle can't be given a go is beyond me. he might have gone for a few in india but he was the only quick who looked like taking wickets. Might have a couple of lean years a head of us!

Haha, yeah.

However, the NZ'ers apparently gifted their wickets away.

What are the Aust selectors on???????????

Whatever it is they need to get off it, ASAP.

Why siddle can't be given a go is beyond me.

I think it's fair enough that Lee, Johnson and Clark have been chosen ahead of him atm - they have the runs on the board (or not, but you catch my drift).

I think we'll see Siddle by Perth though.

LIVE SCORE UPDATES

Brett Lee wont see out the SA series the way he is going.

He is running out of chances and flat decks just make him look even more insipid.

Haha, yeah.

However, the NZ'ers apparently gifted their wickets away.

Whatever it is they need to get off it, ASAP.

I think it's fair enough that Lee, Johnson and Clark have been chosen ahead of him atm - they have the runs on the board (or not, but you catch my drift).

I think we'll see Siddle by Perth though.

Heres my 2 cents:

Johnson, theres a real future here.

Lee, Should be "rested" due to his heavy schedule

Clarke, ties up a end but when the other end is leaking we need a wicket taker!

Brett Lee wont see out the SA series the way he is going.

He is running out of chances and flat decks just make him look even more insipid.

Good grief you really are disrespectful and forgetful.......

Clarke, ties up a end but when the other end is leaking we need a wicket taker!

I think he generally does a job. Not everyone's going to be the out-and-out wicket-taker but he can create opportunities for others while also taking the odd bag (particularly in favourable conditions).

I'd like to see us play a bona fide swing bowler, so here's hoping Hilfenhaus can stay fit and in-form in the lead-up to Ashes 2009.

Good grief you really are disrespectful and forgetful.......

:huh: ???

Not at all.

When Lee is not bowling well he looks all the more lame on good batting strips.

He loses his outswing and is not bowling at 140kmh he becomes fodder (eg India 2008, Adelaide 2008, Aust vs India 200

He is a wonderfully athletic bowler but has never struck me as overly clever bowler particular in good batting conditions. At 32, he really needs to have developed more ways to remove a batsman.

I understand he has been through alot on the field (cricket, illness) and off the field. It may be appropriate to rest him at some stage if the view is that they want at least experienced bowler for the Ashes tour.