Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

Thanks for that. They really need to overhaul the rules about use of technology in cricket and have it standardised from test to test.

I suppose we have to satisfy the people who control international cricket that it's in the interests of the game.

That's what they tried to do last year. Unfortunately it then needs to be voted on by the members (ie, countries), and we all know what happens then!

ICC voting reflects less what is best for the game and more what is best for the individual cricket boards.

On a related note, I am so happy that the VFL clubs had the good sense to hand their power over to an independent body.

Well , where do India go from here ? Hopefully a nice green bouncy wicket greets them in Perth . I really hope we play 4 quicks there to deliver the knockout blow . My preference would be Starc but it looks like Harris will get the nod if they go down that track . And you might rest Pattinson in Adelaide if we're 3 nil up .

A 4 nil series win against this lot would be beautiful . Sachin might have to wait until Adelaide to get that ton .

And 'Chelly' , I've heard that Watto has just started running so he's highly unlikely and I doubt they'll change the Keeper . I reckon they will wait for Tim Paine to be fit and then make the move .

Well done to the Aussies again and a special congratulations to Michael Clarke for his triple century and his leadership . Even his harshest critics must be changing their mind about him . After his innings his Test batting average is now 48.66 - not too shabby .

Siddle , Patto and Hilfo all had terrific games and whilst I thought father time had caught up with Punter and Mr Cricket I'm quite happy to be wrong and I hope they can both keep going .

Well done to Clarke in this game....I was a little worried he had declared too early as the pitch was still batting fine.

But he backed his bowlers to do the job. I wish he had beaten Hayden's score though as that 380 against Bangladesh just doesn't sit right.

India are a shot duck aern't they....0-4 against the Poms and a similiar result in Australia is now possible.

I am still concerned with Warner opening...he could be far more useful at 5th drop IMO.

Nice to see a fearsome bowling attack wearing the "Baggy" again.

CA has a very close relationship with India and we play them in some form of International cricket every year (We're supposed to play them in 4 Tests in India in Feb/March of 2013) . And I've also heard that we do very well financially out of the deal ( TV rights etc etc ) . On the ABC today they were saying that the TV audience back in India for this Test was between 200 and 300 million . That's one of the reasons we play them every year . Money talks .

So , here's my point . India control World cricket because they bring the most amount of money to the game . I've heard that it's more than 80% . And now everybody wants to play them more often which in turn makes them stronger . India know this of course and use it to their own advantage . No DRS is your classic example of how India are flexing their muscles . The reality is that their power base will probably get stronger and the cricket world should find a way of working with them .

Another example is the IPL and the Champions League t20 . India wanted a window for the latter and got it . Australia and South Africa are heavily invested in the Champions League t20 as well and do quite nicely out of it . As for the IPL , there seems to be less and less cricket "clashing" with it . You can just imagine the BCCI saying to another Nation - " Yes , we will play you in 3 Tests and 5 ODI's but we need you do something for us ................

Edited by Macca

That's what they tried to do last year. Unfortunately it then needs to be voted on by the members (ie, countries), and we all know what happens then!

ICC voting reflects less what is best for the game and more what is best for the individual cricket boards.

On a related note, I am so happy that the VFL clubs had the good sense to hand their power over to an independent body.

Correct on both counts Bob.

Changes for Perth?

Watson, if fit replaces Cowan or Marsh and if he can bowl his inclusion means the bowlers used in the first two tests all play?

Wicketkeeper?

Watson is out for the summer according to reports.

I would back the existing top 3. Marsh was a revelation before the back injury. He still has credits. Harsh call on Cowan who did so well in MEL on Boxing Day.

CA has a very close relationship with India and we play them in some form of International cricket every year (We're supposed to play them in 4 Tests in India in Feb/March of 2013) . And I've also heard that we do very well financially out of the deal ( TV rights etc etc ) . On the ABC today they were saying that the TV audience back in India for this Test was between 200 and 300 million . That's one of the reasons we play them every year . Money talks .

So , here's my point . India control World cricket because they bring the most amount of money to the game . I've heard that it's more than 80% . And now everybody wants to play them more often which in turn makes them stronger . India know this of course and use it to their own advantage . No DRS is your classic example of how India are flexing their muscles . The reality is that their power base will probably get stronger and the cricket world should find a way of working with them .

Another example is the IPL and the Champions League t20 . India wanted a window for the latter and got it . Australia and South Africa are heavily invested in the Champions League t20 as well and do quite nicely out of it . As for the IPL , there seems to be less and less cricket "clashing" with it . You can just imagine the BCCI saying to another Nation - " Yes , we will play you in 3 Tests and 5 ODI's but we need you do something for us ................

India are getting stronger because of the financial pull they control over the game. The power in international cricket moved 15 years ago to India from the UK and the ICC can do nought without the blanket vote of the South Asian teams (India, SL, Pakistan and B'desh). This group is lead by India. Both SL and B'desh have financial obligations to the BCCI through funding/borrowing arrangements. While they are minnows against India they each have voting powers at ICC level.

And its not a matter of cosy relationships as India does need to bhorse trade a situation as often they acted unilaterally and against the spirit of the game. Pakistan has done likewise and the Southern Asian block has done little to censure them. I am not sure they can get any more powerful.

Ryan Harris is a very handy replacement. Amazing that, injury aside, he is no longer an automatic inclusion.

Agreed. Pattinson's injury does two things. It settles the debate over who will bowl in Perth (at least you'd think so, I can't imagine them making two changes to a bowling line up that has taken 40 Indian wickets in 8 days. Lyon will actually bowl well in Perth I think, he does well with bounce), and it also re-hashes the debate over how we as a cricketing body deal with our fast bowlers. I have no idea if this is a poor management thing or a lack of fitness thing or just an inherent part of being a pace bowler. But I wish it didn't happen.

With so many of our quicks breaking down, I would have been inclined to lift their load by including an all rounder of the ilk of Christian or Faulkner at the expense of Cowan or Marsh but I believe the 12 has already been selected so that debate is off the table.

Presumably, Siddle's knee has come up OK.

I did a dive catch like that Adam Dale one when I knocked one of my wife's vases off the mantle piece when I may or may not have been kicking a ball around inside (my mother always told me not to do that - could never figure out why!). Of course, nobody saw it, and even if anyone (my wife) had, I doubt I'd have been getting props for it.

Vases can be replaced. Diving one handed catches are priceless!.

The first thing I did when i bought my first home and took possession of the property was I kicked a full sized Sherrin all around the house including slotting some very good goals through doorways on the angle. I did this because my mother always told me not to kick a ball in the house and to do it only when i had my own house. So i did!

BTW, both efforts are outstanding catches. Adam Dale's is especually good as he was always a duffer in the field. McGrath's diving catch at square leg fence was a very good catch as well. I still remember John Dyson's Australian rules catch at deep mid wicket to dismiss one of the WI bats. I was working in a pub at the time as a student and when the catch was taken the whole bar went wild and continued doing so every time the catch was replayed.

Couldn't help but notice that the 'Big Bash' is taking a break of 4 days during the Perth Test (from Friday) . Would have been an ideal time to play some Shield cricket or at least a 3 day scratch match for our 1st class cricketers .

Ok , there's only the Adelaide Test to go but what if India strike back in Perth . Without big Patto the Aussies don't look as formidable .

BTW, both efforts are outstanding catches. Adam Dale's is especually good as he was always a duffer in the field.

He was? I was a teenager when Dale was at his peak, and spent more time playing cricket than watching it. My only memory of him in the field was that catch, so I'd always just assumed he was a reasonable fielder.

He was nothing special unlike other pace bowlers who are very good in the field. I would not have picked Adam Dale in advance to take a catch like that. Mind you Monty Panesar has taken a great outfield catch so there is hope for us all.

One thing I will say for Adam Dale. I saw him play a shield game for Qld vs Vic. Gee he could swing the ball. He was never going to get the right conditions in Australia often but when he did he was good to watch.

Sure was WJ.

Saw it the other day and it made be go searching. I found what I was looking for.

Wow!! Both those above catches were amazing...just so quick, as was McGrath's in Adelaide which a mate and i both saw together and reacted in exactly the same way!! Certain words came out in unison....

Anyone see the colour of the Perth wicket today??...Death.

Sure was WJ.

Saw it the other day and it made be go searching. I found what I was looking for.

Out of interest, if the ball came in contact with the ground when he landed (which it doesn't appear to have done), would it be a legal catch?

I only ask because I was watching a video the other day of Ponting taking a diving catch off Dhoni in the Sydney 2008 test. He controls the ball, but it touches the ground when he lands. Ponting appeals and the commentator (Gavaskar) basically calls him a cheat for doing so. It seems like a bit of a grey area.

Good question Wisedog.

Without having the rules in front of me, I would have thought that if the umpires were satisfied that the catcher had due control of the ball then if touch the ground after that point was reached then the catch stands. i would have thought that "control of the ball" would be if the ball is securely lodged in the grip/hold of one or both hands of the catcher. It is indeed a grey area.

Its a sense of irony that Gavaskar labels the captain of Australian team a "cheat". Another example of the cultural insensitivity of the Indian cricketing elite. I think that was the same Test that "monkeygate" broke and that Symonds eariler had been given not out after knicking a ball down legside. Video replays anyone?

Good question Wisedog.

Without having the rules in front of me, I would have thought that if the umpires were satisfied that the catcher had due control of the ball then if touch the ground after that point was reached then the catch stands. i would have thought that "control of the ball" would be if the ball is securely lodged in the grip/hold of one or both hands of the catcher. It is indeed a grey area.

From the MCC's Laws of Cricket -

The act of making the catch shall start from the time when the ball in flight comes into contact with some part of a fielder’s person other than a protective helmet, and shall end when a fielder obtains complete control both over the ball and over his own movement.

© the ball does not touch the ground even though the hand holding it does so in effecting the catch.

I suppose this is where Gavaskar was coming from, but I'm sure there have been numerous instances of players taking diving catches when part of the ball has come into contact with the ground (a Symonds blinder comes to mind). It seems the only time a catch is ever referred to the third umpire is to check whether or not the ball had bounced before it was taken.

Its a sense of irony that Gavaskar labels the captain of Australian team a "cheat". Another example of the cultural insensitivity of the Indian cricketing elite. I think that was the same Test that "monkeygate" broke and that Symonds eariler had been given not out after knicking a ball down legside. Video replays anyone?

It was an incredibly bitter test match. No doubt India were hard done by, but had it been the other way around, I think we all would have moved on fairly quickly.

Although Ponting has never been renowned for his sportsmanship, he was widely praised for not making any exuses following our loss at Lords in 2009, despite 3 or 4 crucial decisions going against us (including a highly dubious catch by Strauss). I couldn't help but compare that to Kumble's petulant claim after the Sydney test match that "only one side was playing in the spirit of the game".

Thanks wisedog. The MCC wording was my understanding of the rule but the umpires must look at the case for each catch.

I think Gavaskar's slur on Ponting is a reflection of the miserable standards set by the Indians on that tour. FWIW, I dont think Ponting sportsmanship is in question. i have seen him a first class indicate no catch when umpires, teammates and spectators thought he had taken a blinder. Its a good comment about excuses.

The Indians bullying of the Singh outcome was appalling and their inability to accept and their contempt for stated ICC rules was appalling.

So we've got an opposition team on their knees and what does Brad Haddin do ? He decides to motivate them with his disparaging remarks . He is Vice Captain of the side and should know better .

This is not a comment on Haddin's cricketing ability because I see that as a separate issue .

If , as reported , the Perth wicket is a green top then batting on the first 2 days could be a nightmare . Especially against a fired up pace attack . ( Theirs ? Ours ? )

Pattinson not playing leaves a big hole I believe and brings India right into proceedings . So in an evenly matched game it can come down to who is the more motivated . So why give them any extra ammunition? Disrespecting the opposition is a big no-no at any level of sport .

Of course the Indian media have run with the story more than our media so most Aussies will fob it off as no big deal , but , if India wins this Test Haddin's remarks will come to the surface again .

Edited by Macca