• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

Clarke made over 200 runs in a day. That's some kind of innings. I hope they bat until just after tea, and if they do and Clarke is out there Hayden's 380 will be under threat - at Clarke's run rate it will be surpassed ! I hope Clarke declares and gets "red ink" (that's not another tattoo by the way for those unfamiliar). Great innings and full marks of respect. The SCG gave him a standing ovation and thoroughly deserved. The PR campaign is doing wonders for him too. Well done.

Could Lara's all-time top score be under threat ? Yeah, nah...

edit:

Just for note, I thought his answers to Mark Nicholas' questions showed how well grounded Clarke is. He reinforced that he is a team player and what he does is for the team. He's there to win and any individual accolades he receives he'll acknowledge but the focus is still to do the team thing. I just thought it highlighted what Michael Clarke is about and all the carry on nonsense about cars, girlfriends, tattoo's and critics versions of "playing for himself" are off the mark, are irrelevant and somewhat unfair on him.

Edited by H_T
additional note

And let's hope that he goes on and beats the all comers record for tests at the SCG. I'm sick and tired of these touring cricketers having the gall to score test records on our grounds.

By the way, surely someone around here can remember Reginald Foster's record of 287 runs at the ground. Old Dee? Very Old Dee?

I'm just a youngster but I can remember Bobby Cowper's 307 at the MCG!

Jack....I was actually at the SCG that day in 1903 when "Tip" Foster knocked up that 287 at the SCG. I was only 13 years old, so I don't remember it all that clearly.But I do recall that it was his debut! Not a bad start!

If we are not bowled out then the question is when to declare today?

A part of me wants to continue to strain and drain the Indian bowlers further. In my mind I have a target of 550+. I would give us the possibly the last hour to bowl at them. Given the weather is not looking like significantly taking time, this should be sufficient to attack the Indian batsmen given they have no hope left in the Test.

If Clarke is still there then Hayden is definitely in the gun. He would have to be batting better than yesterday to get to Lara's score. Its not out of the question and within my proposed time/run target.

Hayden made his runs batting as opener, Lara made his recrod at No 3. Clarke is batting at No 5. Does anyone have the Test highest score for a batsman coming in at 3 for??

Jack....I was actually at the SCG that day in 1903 when "Tip" Foster knocked up that 287 at the SCG. I was only 13 years old, so I don't remember it all that clearly.But I do recall that it was his debut! Not a bad start!

Remind me to post Happy Birthday to you this year when you're 122.

If we are not bowled out then the question is when to declare today?

I figure sometime early in the last session (maybe a half hour in), 5pm at the latest for me.

Current lead is 292, one hundred runs a session up til' tea will give us ~lead of 492+. Yeah, about 550 + if everything goes to plan.

Hayden made his runs batting as opener, Lara made his recrod at No 3. Clarke is batting at No 5. Does anyone have the Test highest score for a batsman coming in at 3 for??

I'll try and find it out. That's a tough one, but definitely intriguing.

*blink*

If Clarke is still there then Hayden is definitely in the gun. He would have to be batting better than yesterday to get to Lara's score. Its not out of the question and within my proposed time/run target.

That's a strange comment.

If he passes Hayden (scoring 130 more today) how would he have to bat better than yesterday to make 20 extra runs?

The highest score for a number 5 is 304 by the Don. Clarke is currently 4th on the list. Ironically, Foster's SCG runs record was scored when he came in at number 5. Lara came in at 4 when he scored the second highest score on the ground.

Thanks. Saved me time. Where did you find that 45HG ?

Statsguru.

*Would also like to add that, obviously, he's a long way from those records. Starting fresh today, to talk about him scoring 130 today is a massive ask.

Read an interesting stat on Cricinfo yesterday. After 150 Tests (Kallis is playing his 150th now), Ponting had the most runs, with Kallis second and Tendulkar third. Moreover, at the 150-Test mark, Kallis has made 41 100s to Ponting and Tendulkar's 39. Add into the mix the fact that Kallis averages more than Tendulkar, and you end up seeing that Kallis really doesn't get the credit he deserves. If he ends up playing as many Tests as SRT (this is of course unlikely, given age), then who knows how well he could go. (And let's not forget Kallis also has 271 Test wickets at a tick over 32).

I'm thinking we'll bat till Tea if possible, and declare with a lead on or around 450 (which would require another 140 runs from now). We need to remember that this is India, they do have Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman, and this pitch isn't doing a hell of a lot. Don't want to get ahead of ourselves, especially if there's any showers coming up. Although there is a hell of a lot of time left in the match.

Gillespie came in as nightwatchman against B'desh and batted on.

Clarke detractors may argue similarly. :)

I know the media love Tendulkar (and with good reason) but I am stumped how jacques Kallis is not considered just short of Tendulkar in class. Over 12,000 runs at over 50 average and 270+ wickets at approx 32. What a absolute star! I cant work out when you have an allround diamond like that how South Africa have not had sustained success as the leading Test nation following Australia's demise. He is worth two good players in any side.

Seriously, I hope Clarke bats on for 300+ and grinds the Indian team in the dirt today for the following reasons:

1. To stretch and strain their tender 4 man attack.

2. To psychological blunt and batter the Indians for this Test and the rest of the Series.

3. To bowl a 2nd time when the bounce on the SYD pitch is more variable on the 4th and 5th day.

4. To repay them for hitting 700+ plus against us in 2004 at SYD.

5. For their appalling trucculent and spiteful display in SYD in 2008 over the Singh- Symonds affair. The involvement of Indian officials and senior players in knobbling of an ICC tribunal and umpire was appalling. Its ironic that they wont allow video replay on dismissals when they abused and kneecapped Steve Bucknor over his not out decision on Symonds.

6. For their perpetual whinging about issues from the top BCCI administrator down through to their cricketers. Kohli should be fined for his gesture to the crowd. Indian cricketers have continually shown cultural insensitivities towards other team supporters both here and overseas while demanding to be treated like royalty. Special thanks fo Julia GIllard for making them wait 15 mins outside Kirribilli.

That'll do me fine haha.

Edited by titan_uranus

Read an interesting stat on Cricinfo yesterday. After 150 Tests (Kallis is playing his 150th now), Ponting had the most runs, with Kallis second and Tendulkar third. Moreover, at the 150-Test mark, Kallis has made 41 100s to Ponting and Tendulkar's 39. Add into the mix the fact that Kallis averages more than Tendulkar, and you end up seeing that Kallis really doesn't get the credit he deserves. If he ends up playing as many Tests as SRT (this is of course unlikely, given age), then who knows how well he could go. (And let's not forget Kallis also has 271 Test wickets at a tick over 32).

That is interesting. Kallis is a remarkable player and he certainly is recognised and given credit here on this thread I feel. Several of us have highlighted his performances. I often mention all three in the same breath and Kallis wicket haul is of significance. Very durable player for his size.

Whilst we speak of the positives of Australia to date, what do we make of India at present ?

Correct me if I'm wrong but to my recollection, they have not won a Test series here in Australia. They're preparation prior to the series could have been much better IMO. But I'm not sure their schedule prior would have allowed for it. Last summer England came well prepared and had very good lead up games and took the honours relatively comfortably. A touring team IMO must have a few good 3 or 4 day matches with our states to get a good feel for the conditions. I know many of their players are experienced but it's different to playing on dust bowls.

Correct me if I'm wrong but to my recollection, they have not won a Test series here in Australia. They're preparation prior to the series could have been much better IMO. But I'm not sure their schedule prior would have allowed for it. Last summer England came well prepared and had very good lead up games and took the honours relatively comfortably. A touring team IMO must have a few good 3 or 4 day matches with our states to get a good feel for the conditions. I know many of their players are experinced but it's different to playing on dust bowls.

Pretty sure that's correct, I don't think they've ever won a series here.

I remember last year England had a tour game in Perth, which would help adjust to the bounce. It's also easier for them coming from England than India. But India's tour games were at Allan Border Oval, which doesn't help much being a road of a pitch. I don't know who's decision that was. If it was ours, sneaky haha.

Point is, their batsman are just too accustomed to subcontinental pitches and their bowlers have never been that good. That's why they struggle to win away from home but they dominate at home. They could have had more warm up games but I don't know how much that would help them.

That's a strange comment.

If he passes Hayden (scoring 130 more today) how would he have to bat better than yesterday to make 20 extra runs?

The highest score for a number 5 is 304 by the Don. Clarke is currently 4th on the list. Ironically, Foster's SCG runs record was scored when he came in at number 5. Lara came in at 4 when he scored the second highest score on the ground.

I did not word it like i should have.

I think both records are big ask but definitely achievable. But the 400 mark is the everist like peak.

Thanks for the Statsguru pick up. Got to love it.

Its exactly why I think Kallis is not far behind the Little Master.

I'm thinking we'll bat till Tea if possible, and declare with a lead on or around 450 (which would require another 140 runs from now). We need to remember that this is India, they do have Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman, and this pitch isn't doing a hell of a lot. Don't want to get ahead of ourselves, especially if there's any showers coming up. Although there is a hell of a lot of time left in the match.

Just for safety, I would give them 550 plus on the basis that they have name batsmand and the pitch is not doing a lot. It still gives us 6 and bit sessions. From the BOM website the indications are not suggesting notable cricket interruptions.

Point is, their batsman are just too accustomed to subcontinental pitches and their bowlers have never been that good. That's why they struggle to win away from home but they dominate at home. They could have had more warm up games but I don't know how much that would help them.

Last I looked Ishant Sharma's bowling average is something like 36.44. That's far too high for a "strike bowler". Zaheer Khan is their main weapon and of course they miss Harbahjan Singh.

India are historically poor tourists but there record in recent years has not been that good.

In Australia, there effort to score 700+ in a Test and not win the Test did not augur well.

I think questions will be asked about the balance of their team for the Aust tour. The big question for me is what batting talent is coming through for India over the next year or so. There are some big shoes to fill once the big 3 players go. And it would appear here that they dont have a class spinner which they have had for at least 12 years or so with Kumble and Singh. Unfortunately there are some oversized egos in the Indian team that also should be generationally removed (Ganguly was thankfully the first to go).

Just out of interest Clarke and Hussey have put on 203 for their 5th wicket partnership. Doesn't that seem awfully quick !

edit:

Partnership now 235*

Here's the link for record 5th wicket partnerships, Hussey & Clarke are making their way up rapidly. They have a fair way to go to get to 405 by Bradman and Barnes who hold the all time record. As it turns out they made it on the SCG too.

http://stats.espncri...rds/283583.html

Edited by H_T
Addition record

Good link.

What is interesting is that most of the records happened in the past 12 years. Very little happened prior to 1998/99.

Obviously some good batting but is this indicator of the benign pitches that have been served up in the past decade or so.

Clarke on 289 is the highest score on the SCG. He should get his final score as a tattoo!

Another brilliant performance from the Captain!

31 and 1

Glad we are not depending on him to get us out of a hole.

I doubt he will make it to the next ashes series

Second rate player from NSW

Whoops.

Australia 3-37 - would you call that a hole? 1-565 runs later and Clarke on 304*. Would love to see a first rate player from NSW!

Can't for the life of me figure out why Sehwag was bowling straight after lunch.

Absolutely brilliant innings from the skipper. Incredible innings. Well done!

I'm in the midst of excitement going through stats....

the 5th wicket partnership of Clarke/Hussey is closing quickly on the all-time highest 5th wicket partnership against India - Chanderpaul & Hooper's 293 in Georgetown 2002.

Currently ranks as the 10th highest all-time 5th wicket partnership @ 287*

Best 5th wicket partnership of all time against India. Now 302* (now ranked 8th)

Remarkable that two partnerships of 288 and 302* have been made in the same innings. I wonder if that is a record in itself....