Jack Watts - Confirmed #1 Pick in 2008 Draft - Booyah!!!

Tex

Geelong recruiter said he would take Watts with pick 1.

I haven't seen him play but from a 20 second clip on youtube he looked pretty wirey and not that particularly tall. I don't want to spend a top 3 pick on a Jack Riewaldt type!

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen him play but from a 20 second clip on youtube he looked pretty wirey and not that particularly tall. I don't want to spend a top 3 pick on a Jack Riewaldt type!

He reminds me of Nathan Ablett. And no this is not a good thing.

People call Natanui a risk, well Watts is a bigger risk in my eyes.

He reminds me of Nathan Ablett. And no this is not a good thing.

People call Natanui a risk, well Watts is a bigger risk in my eyes.

I remember watching Gumbleton and Hawkins play 2 years ago, ableit they haven't done much but you could see just by their physique that they at least have the body to be a power forward. Observing Watts, I'm not so sure.

Hawkins was about 105kg when he was drafted so he's a bit of an anomaly in that regards.

When Michael Voss started out in the AFL he was as skinny as they come and he filled out.

Also YM, why is a comparison with Nathan Ablett a bad thing? He has as much potential as any of the young key forwards in the competition.

Hawkins was about 105kg when he was drafted so he's a bit of an anomaly in that regards.

When Michael Voss started out in the AFL he was as skinny as they come and he filled out.

Also YM, why is a comparison with Nathan Ablett a bad thing? He has as much potential as any of the young key forwards in the competition.

Youre telling me that N.Ablett could be as good as Franklin, J.Brown, Pavlich etc?

If we invest pick 1 in Jack Watts, he had better reach those lofty heights.

Those that cannot identify the sheer class and pedigree of Watts have been noted in my fact file. I doubt I'll ever take anything said by these clueless footy fans again.

Not that it matters. As those that are charged with identifying the very best talent aren't influenced by the dim witted.

Watts is as an exciting a prospect as I've seen in a long while.

Those that cannot identify the sheer class and pedigree of Watts have been noted in my fact file. I doubt I'll ever take anything said by these clueless footy fans again.

Not that it matters. As those that are charged with identifying the very best talent aren't influenced by the dim witted.

Natanui is much more exciting and has much more potential.

That reads like Jared Brennan a bit ^

Youre telling me that N.Ablett could be as good as Franklin, J.Brown, Pavlich etc?

If we invest pick 1 in Jack Watts, he had better reach those lofty heights.

Brown and Pavlich aren't really young anymore (both around 26). Franklin is just a freakshow, but Ablett is on par with the likes of Hawkins, Tippett, Cloke, Kennedy, Thorp, Gumbleton etc

And should we own first selection at seasons end he will be playing for the Demons in 2009! Furthermore, don't be so certain that the WA teams will overlook him if they have a chance to get him!

As I said I have not seen him play but from what I have seen a measly 15 second clip on youtube he didn't strike me as having the physique to build a kpp player out of.

Why do you find him so exciting?

If you could compare him to one AFL player whow ould it be?

As I said I have not seen him play but from what I have seen a measly 15 second clip on youtube he didn't strike me as having the physique to build a kpp player out of.

Why do you find him so exciting?

If you could compare him to one AFL player whow ould it be?

There are very few 194cm KPPS that have a low centre of gravity, it's usually confined to mids, but Watts is born with it. He has recorded a time of 2.79 seconds for a 20 metre sprint which is elite for even a midfielder. His coach David Dickson states that he has the best hands he's seen in a marking contest in his time coaching Vic Metro. He moves beautifully and has great evasion skills when he's in traffic. He's a sensational kick for goal and has alround exquisite skills. And when you recognise that he is bottom age for this draft and only qualifies by a month, and understand that he's going to get physically stronger once he reaches AFL level, then you realise he's a very rare package.

I'd most liken him to Riewoldt, but there's a touch of James Hird. He's just been voted best player for the entire carnival, but some are a little disappointed by what they see on tv in one game. He's a great mark, exceptionally fast on the lead, a superb kick, 194cms and great when the ball is on the deck. He's the complete package. He kicked 5 against SA and 4 against Vic Country and remember these games only go for 80 minutes. They're about 2/3's of an AFL game. WA were so concerned about Watts that they allowed Vickery and Lynch to become targets one out.

Gibbs is a good player, and so is Murphy and Kreuzer, but none of them have the upside of Watts. Nor does Goddard at 1 or Wells at 2. I understand the love affair with Naitanui, but I've seen him live twice now and he has some remarkable traits, but footy nous and footy skills aren't amongst them.

Watts will be taken by the Dees if we're given the chance. And rightly so. Neitz kicked over 600 goals but never had the sheer class of this boy.

the same guy said sylvia would be the next mark riccuito. dont go by hype, go by your own eyes and from what i've seen of watts..he is half the player daniel rich is

If ever there's a ringing endorsement it's you sharing a contrary view.

And seeing that you're talking about "going by your own eyes", ask me this kid, how many times have you seen Watts play live ? Don't lie now.

I think Watts will be a good pickup if we get him. He will develop into a very good player and will fill a role the MFC really need filled.

I dont think he will be an instant fix/superstar like some of us think though. Tom Hawkins, 2 years ago, had equal if not better reputation about his performances. Tom isnt exactly doing great things at Geelong for the moment. Even if it is Geelong.

I think Watts will be a good pickup if we get him. He will develop into a very good player and will fill a role the MFC really need filled.

I dont think he will be an instant fix/superstar like some of us think though. Tom Hawkins, 2 years ago, had equal if not better reputation about his performances. Tom isnt exactly doing great things at Geelong for the moment. Even if it is Geelong.

Who here has said he'll be an "instant fix' ?

Quotations would be appreciated.

You've got me. No one has directly said it.

I'm just trying to say though I dont think Watts will be ready to compete at AFL level for a while.

Like Morton, he'll compete next year, but only fools will expect much.

There are very few 194cm KPPS that have a low centre of gravity, it's usually confined to mids, but Watts is born with it. He has recorded a time of 2.79 seconds for a 20 metre sprint which is elite for even a midfielder. His coach David Dickson states that he has the best hands he's seen in a marking contest in his time coaching Vic Metro. He moves beautifully and has great evasion skills when he's in traffic. He's a sensational kick for goal and has alround exquisite skills. And when you recognise that he is bottom age for this draft and only qualifies by a month, and understand that he's going to get physically stronger once he reaches AFL level, then you can understand that he's a very rare package.

I'd most liken him to Riewoldt, but there's a touch of James Hird. He's just been voted best player for the entire carnival, but some are a little disappointed by what they see on tv in one game. He's a great mark, exceptionally fast on the lead, a superb kick, 194cms and great when the ball is on the deck. He's the complete package. He kicked 5 against SA and 4 against Vic Country and remember these games only go for 80 minutes. They're about 2/3's of an AFL game. WA were so concerned about Watts that it allowed Vickery and Lynch to become targets one out.

Gibbs is a good player, and so is Murphy and Kreuzer, but none of them have the upside of Watts. Nor does Goddard at 1 or wells at 2. I understand the love affair with Naitanui, but I've seen him live twice now and he has some remarkable traits, but footy nous and footy skill aren't amongst them.

Watts will be taken by the Dees if we're given the chance. And rightly so. Neitz kicked over 600 goals but never had the sheer class of this boy.

Great post,i agree with every word.Watts is our greatest "need",even though we desperately need another topline midfielder and Rich is very tempting.What i saw Rich do on Wednesday was class but he did fade in and out but what kid that age doesn't?

I really pray we don't draft Naitanui,sure he has a great leap but he needs to learn a hell of a lot around the ground and if he is going to be so dominant in the ruck,opposition gun mids like Judd,Kerr,Ablett,Black,Mitchell will rove to him and they're good enough to do it and win the clearances.

The top 3 teams in hitouts this year are Port,Freo and Dees and not one of these teams can even make the 8,so a gun ruckman doesn't guarantee anything and we're already doing well in that area,although White doesn't have long to go.The Bulldogs are ranked 13th in ruck this year,and they've lost 1 game,enough said!

We must take Watts,no-one knows how good he'll be,but if he fulfills his potential,we will have a key forward we desperately need for the next 15 years,if he plays as long as Neitz,Richoman.

I don't think I could have put it much better than your large post above. I had Naita as my pick only because we're damned if we do and damned if we don't... At the time I just didn't want to have to run what I'm sure will be 10-20 year debate about whether or not passing on Naitanui was a mistake.

My second pick after Nic was Hurley, but only because at the time he was the best KP prospect at the time...

I reckon Before2Long has it about right when he says it's #1: Watts as a player who's screaming to be picked and has HUGE upside, #2: Rich as the safe option and #3: Naitanui as pick 3...

Though I will say one thing that angered B2L when I mentioned it to him. I haven't seen a lot of Watts, and I'm sure he has all the talent you'd need... But there's a guy that's just come in who has an impressive amount of talent too. Juice's skill set is, any MFC fan would agree, impressive. He pretty much doesn't have any weaknesses in ability. Maybe he doesn't have Watts' low centre of gravity, vision, awareness not to mention work ethic and assuredness, but he is a precocious talent nonetheless. My point is not that they are similar in "pedigree" as you put it H, but that if ever there was an example of an unfulfilled KP forward talent, then Juice is as good a cautionary tale as you could imagine. Just cos the kid has ability doesn't mean he's a guaranteed bet.

That said, you can't pass on a player because he MIGHT be a dud, you have to pick them for what they COULD be.

For mine:

- We are in more desperate need of a KP forward. So taking the best player might just be taking our most needed type as well.

- Franklin, with his specific physical capabilities and how they effect games may dictate how recruiters go about their jobs. Watts seems to have some of these genetic gifts that seperate the greats fro the just goods.

- Think of our spine in 3 years, Frawley, Garland, (Warnock) Jones (Moloney) Bate, Watts (Miller, Newton)... And the best part there is the backup players are all serious units that have acquired a fair bit of faith from their supporters.

- Consider the Hawks' One-Two-Punch of Franklin and Roughead. Watts and Newton could be a damaging pair, and that's not even including Miller and Bate who will be in the 22 every week going on this year.

- With that in mind, suddenly the ruckmen we have on our list look a lot more solid. Spencer, PJ, Jamar, Warnock (if he comes)...

- Here's one for the newer posters on the site... Hannabal, at least in the last 2-3 years has NEVER gotten excited about a player. This is the first and only time I've seen him feel the need to post positively about anyone 5 times in one thread.

In all seriousness though. I'm on Watts now. It's the best fit.

i've only seen watts play twice...and if we pick him up, we will officially have no key position talent coming through for the next 5 years because of the gold coast concessions. And some people talked about rich fading out in the 3rd quarter, yet watts never faded because he never got into the game. i think after 1/4 time he had 2 touches.

I really pray we don't draft Naitanui,

Stupid, stupid comment Jack my boy

Naitanui will dominate the AFL for a decade

PRAY he's wearing Red & Blue

& Yes I was @ the game on Wednesday & watched all players closely.

Simply we can't lose, Rich , Watts , Natanui will all be stars

Draft this year will be more nerve racking than ever before!

As good as Rich might be, I think we have greater needs.

Watts for mine