Dees for the spoon??

paddo

You're right about the Bombers though. They got good seasons out of their best 6 and were still mediocre. Wooden spoon material for me.

Yup.

I can't be bothered doing a Dappa Dan.

Mmm Hmm.

;)

and now for something completely different ...

My band is playing at Elwood RSL on Saturday night 8.30 - midnight. Mainly 80s covers. No cover charge.

Check out our website - www.ordinarymen.com.au

Check out the venue's website - www.elwoodrsl.com.au

We're bloody good. All welcome, except Filth supporters.

Nothing like free advertising.

Good Luck.

Its a good feed at the Elwood RSL at reasonable prices. Its popular in the area and you have to book Friday and Saturday nights.

You're right about the Bombers though. They got good seasons out of their best 6 and were still mediocre. Wooden spoon material for me.

Neither Essendon or Melbourne will win the Wooden Spoon in 2008.

When talking about Essendon, everyone here seems to only focus on the age of Lloyd, Lucas, Fletcher etc, yet in the same breath talk up the young talent of McLean, Jones, Newton, Bate etc.

I am just as confident in the likes of Stanton, Ryder, Winderlich, Monfries and Gumbleton showing improvement in 2008 and helping out the "old" guys at Essendon.

Obviously both clubs have new coaches after long stints by the men they replaced, and so far both are making the right noises. It's exciting times for both teams, with new men at the helm, and plenty of young talent on both lists.

But really, in the end, where clubs finish is largely dictated by how many injuries a club gets.

well bugger all this spoon sh!t !! sportsbet have us at $3.00 for the eight... that seems like money for jam quite frankly !!

will fund a few frothies !!! :)

well bugger all this spoon sh!t !! sportsbet have us at $3.00 for the eight... that seems like money for jam quite frankly !!

will fund a few frothies !!! :)

Hold on to your money until the odds improve - I reckon 16-1 is reasonable

The fact that a 31-year old in Junior has won our last two B&F's is an indication of where our list is at.

Virtually all of our senior list are well past their best - White, Neitz, Yze, Holland, McDonald, Robbo, Green, Bruce, ... the list goes on, have played their best footy. You could easily add Moloney, Carroll, Wheatley and Miller to that list.

Frawley, Garland, Bode and Buckley have shown little, if anything.

$4 with the Toigs is about right. I love the Dees, but FFS get realistic.

finally someone whos not clouded by sentiment speaks some sense. at this stage mfc is a long way off the pace.

You might just be slightly underestimating how much respect ol' Junior has in th game. Just becasue he's not in the papers every day shouldnt detract from his efforts. Having said that a few ( more than a few ) have been playing below par. Our strength is not going to come from them so much. Too easy perhaps to forget the likes of Rivers, McLean ( on form ) Jones, Bartram coming back... Mr Aerobic Meeson ought to act a spring through the guts. I expect the likes of Slyvia to finally click. We may not be premiership material yet but were far from also rans.

each to their own .. all the pessimists >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

All lof 'US" <<<<<<<<<<<

go Dees

Mr Aerobic Meeson ought to act a spring through the guts. I expect the likes of Slyvia to finally click.

Bub, it may seem like I'm picking on you this week, but I'm only highlighting this because I know you can take it without chucking a hissy fit like a little girl...

Your post had credibility up until this point. Meesen is nothing... yet. We have the solid form in recent history of the other four, Bartram, McLean, Rivers, Jones... I defy anyone to predict they'll do worse than last year... But Meesen? Just because he runs a mean beep test doesn't mean he's going to be part of a reversal of fortune for the club. I'd put PJ ahead of him in the "likelihood to win games" stakes... And that in itself highlights how little I think of our ruck stocks after White. And as for Sylvia, he's a LONg way from where the other three are. In each of their cases, they have played one, and in some cases two COMPLETE seasons. eg Bartram - 2006, Jones 2007 etc... Sylvia just doesn't have the runs on the board and is as likely as not to succumb to OP for at least a part of the year. From what I hear he's already starting slowly.

We may not be premiership material yet but were far from also rans.

Well, yes. We ARE far from premiership material... but isn't everyone who doesn't win a flag an "also ran?" :)

But yes, I get your point and agree wholeheartedly... I seriously doubt we'll win a spoon. In fact I'd put my house on us being higher than the bottom four.

DD :)

The reason I dared to mention Meeson at the risk of ridicule...or at least a decent censure is that he is apparently to all reports better than ded keek to play.. he is quietly [censored] off the the SA boys never really gave him a decent crack. he IS fit.. ..and whilst a really really good beepr is no gaurantee for a reuslt..it does mea that when others are wilting al littel..he will still keep going. I may eat CROW by the ton later next year but i think he might do okay.. pure conjecture i know !!

Funny you mention PJ thogh..as he might really turn out the smokey.. many myself included expect Col to turn it up a nothc nextyear...but I have often thought PJ has a time a'coming and maybe 08 is it. I think with Sylvia its all in the head.. ...the sooner some one gives him a really fair dinkum vclout arround the ears and tell him to wake up the better. I somehow think that Bails already has. Either hi ho performs next year or Im bloody sure he'll be passing on trappers phone number as a potential roomy !! lol

DD I know you and I see much differently.. we'l l just have to see :))

>:~))

it does mea that when others are wilting al littel..he will still keep going.

Yep. He does seem ok doesn't he? But then people have forgotten how quick PJ runs. He's lightning over the ground... and what's more he runs when he doesn't have it. What I want to know is how Meesen goes with his footy brain. If it's anything like Jamar's, then I'm all for moving along the one who performs the worst out of the two. And while I agree that this guy may have a massive bee in his bonnet in regards to the Crows not giving him a go, I reckon he'd be hard pressed to be a BETTER trainer than PJ who works VERY hard... In short, I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do, but I'd be STUNNED if he played an integral part of the season. I reckon, maybe 12 games?

many myself included expect Col to turn it up a nothc nextyear...

Oh yeah... So do I. I saw enough in a handful of games last year for me to think there's a chance Col has turned the corner. His blind turn against the Dogs where he delivered it down Bater's throat for the goal, and his mark 20 out against WC in Subiaco were highlights. But this is IDENTICAL to the feeling I've had every season with him... the old "if his body's right, he'll be right." Again... pessimism reigns supreme...

>:~))

Um... Yeah... agreed....?

My main reason for being hopeful next season is the incredible amount of upside Across the entire list. We were surprised a couple of years ago by guys like Bartram and Bate who came in and had impact when they shouldn't have. Last year we had only 6-10 players that could have played better than they did in 2006. This year the majority of our list has HEAPS of improvement in it, and in some cases they have proven they're capable in the past, it's just 2007 was their worst year yet...

Good Luck.

Its a good feed at the Elwood RSL at reasonable prices. Its popular in the area and you have to book Friday and Saturday nights.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Rhino, hope to see you there. If you do turn up, make yourself known; I'm the keyboard player.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do, but I'd be STUNNED if he played an integral part of the season. I reckon, maybe 12 games?

Despite his various injury problems and poor form, I can't see why Meeson can't play more than 12 games if he can get really fit. The guy was a first round pick a few years ago, and let's face it, Jamar and Johnson are not much chop (although I'm prepared to give Johnson one more year).

I guess we'll find out a lot more about the guy in the NAB cup.