Dean Bailey on 3AW

deanox

I caught the interview, nothing too insightful and only a few callers’ questions. Here’s what I got:

Adem Yze is jumping out of his skin, has been very impressive during training, offering advice and showing leadership on and off the track.

Dean spoke of the importance of senior players advising youngsters and helping them with their development, and youngsters inspiring and pushing the senior players.

Q: Defensive spine. How will it look in ’08?

A: Carroll was average last season, but is training well. James Frawley coming on nicely, he just needs development time. Miller will be used down back at times to play on power forwards. Rivers back and training, he’ll slot back in. Whelan has lost weight, is super keen and setting himself well for a big season.

Q: Which new recruits could play early?

A: Mentioned that Cale will eventually be a tall midfielder who can push forward. Grimes has a particularly impressive approach to his football. When Dean called him to congratulate him on being drafted to the club, Jack replied “You don’t know what it means to me”. Same old line that if they work hard, and prove to be good enough, they will be selected. Dean went on to say that Meesen is aerobic animal, and he has something to prove. He’s attacking training and Dean expects him to do something in ‘08.

Q: Staggered that we kept Miller, explain thinking?

A: Dean coached Brad at Mt Gravatt. He’s always been impressed by him. Dean likes his aggressive style, and wants him to play aggressive football… Miller understands that. Will play both ends in the NAB cup, needs to be able to go both ways. Brad is best trainer at the moment.

As I said... nothing new.

A couple other points I heard but otherwise you got most of the key phrases i jotted down...

Question about the leadership group. DB said that David Neitz was the captain of the MFC and it is up to him if he wants to continue or not. If not we will go down the path of selecting a captain perhaps with some outsourced help (?) ie consulting (my mum spoke over it, not sure if he said consulting with the other players etc or consulting group on leadership lol)

Question about all the coaches he had worked with, which one was he most like. DB said Kevin Morris (Richmond and Collingwood player (71-86), recruiting and then assistant coach at essendon from 1992 among other positions at other clubs) was very good for him, and he learnt a lot from him. Shaw and Pagan standout, Sheeds was the biggests impact. There were a few others he learnt a lot from but arent profile names...

Question about what accelerates a coach, a senior position at mount gravat or assistant at afl level. DB answered by saying he didnt have a choice and had to start at the bottom. Said Sheeds gave him heaps of freedom when he was development coach at Essendon, got involved in everything, software and recruiting included.

Question: can a big name player jump straight in and coach ala voss or buckley? very diplomatic. he has never met either, so doesnt know them, but knows they are great footballers and probably could with the appropriate experience around them.

Regardin Miller, DB said he was 13 or 14 when they were both at Mt Gravat, mentioned the aggression, then said he will play both ends in the NAB cup.

On our 150th year celebrations: DB basically said there would be lots of celebrations, but we need to win football games. celebration stuff will just happen, and we need to concentrate on football as well, his job is to win games. Talked up a good year to buy memberships.

Thats pretty much all I heard, must have got the start of the interview...

is it possible for someone to write it out and get the script or however u do it?

if you want to jump on the 3AW website, i think you can download the audio clips and you can write a script from there. i cant be bothered, between me and wise i think we got most of it...

if you want to jump on the 3AW website, i think you can download the audio clips and you can write a script from there. i cant be bothered, between me and wise i think we got most of it...

Yep good job Deanox, you nailed the rest of it...

alright thanks for that...if thats the case i will just listen to it...i cant see the interview on the websight atm but i will check tomoro

Chris Connelly was also on SEN about the same time. Only heard the last few sentences. Did anybody here the full interview ??

wow good to see whelan has lost weight and wants to take his true spot again! go wheels. looking forward to seeing meesen burst out of his skin! i believe he is in line for 2nd ruck spot and pj up forward. im willing to give miller a chance under dean bailey. besides he did get miller drafted so he obviously did sumthing to him when he was a teenager.

go dees

Had to be something fuelling Bailey's love affair for Miller, didn't think it was goat photo's...

Giving his aggression license back means we may at least get SOMETHING out of him.

Early days but my bet for DB's love child is the one and only Brad Miller

From what I hear, the players are being worked so hard this pre-season and Bailey is such an uncompromising leader of such a strict regime, that if he does adopt a love child, there is a damn good reason behind it.

Bailey ain't taking crap from nobody, and if he sees things in Miller, than that is good enough for me.

I expect everyone's aggression to make a comeback in 2008, or even appear for the very first time :rolleyes:

From what I hear, the players are being worked so hard this pre-season and Bailey is such an uncompromising leader of such a strict regime, that if he does adopt a love child, there is a damn good reason behind it.

Bailey ain't taking crap from nobody, and if he sees things in Miller, than that is good enough for me.

I expect everyone's aggression to make a comeback in 2008, or even appear for the very first time :rolleyes:

To steal a line from yze magic:

"I think i just creamed"

I really like the way things are going at this club this year time to get excited boys!!

Early days but my bet for DB's love child is the one and only Brad Miller

and so what if he is, you do dont get to play afl if you cant play. not everyone can be a Pavlich or Judd. how many Demon fans can say they werent cheering when he towelled up Barry Hall in the years Swans were weither winning or challenging for the flag. he has no place up forward. and if there is a massive change in form this year what will you people do then, you be cheering him on like me. Cam Bruce and Sylvia didnt reach their full potential under ND either

Guest Schtacker
and so what if he is, you do dont get to play afl if you cant play. not everyone can be a Pavlich or Judd. how many Demon fans can say they werent cheering when he towelled up Barry Hall in the years Swans were weither winning or challenging for the flag. he has no place up forward. and if there is a massive change in form this year what will you people do then, you be cheering him on like me. Cam Bruce and Sylvia didnt reach their full potential under ND either

Mate of course we were cheering that day - but the fact is that was one of his 5 or 6 genuinely great games out of 91. We are talking about a bloke who was supposed to be a key forward and has kicked 4 goals ONCE, which he did in a game we won by 9 goals, and averages 0.37 goals a match. Apart from the Hall incident he has barely ever turned it on in defence.

Credit where credit is due - when BM strings together competent games of football he will of course win our kudos and i will be the first to congratulate him. There is a big difference between sticking by: a good player who has performed for the club at least a significant number of times and is now going through a rough patch (see Yze, McLean, Bruce, Trapper Johnstone,even the great David Neitz); and a player who has taken a number of AFL games to do very little. With the departure of 'the terrible trio' (in Ward, Brown and Godfrey - though thank you lads for your service) I was hoping for the new MFC side to be more of a hack-free zone! I think Mr.Miller is probably quite lucky that Dean Bailey just happened to be the selected coach or he might not be at the club at all.

besides he did get miller drafted so he obviously did sumthing to him when he was a teenager.

Played senior footy under Danny Craven and his old man is state U16 coach. Not to sure how much influence DB would have had in getting him drafted considering he went pick 55 to a team he had no connection with.

I've always been a Miller fan. Despite his obvious shortcomings (such as his wonky kicking and his tendency to handball to stationery players), I enjoy his aggressive approach to his footy and his strong, lead-up presence around CHF.

I believe that CHF is his best position, but I think it is inevitable that he will be spending more time in the backline.

Perhaps Bails could try him at FF every now and then. I've actually liked him when he has played a little deeper in the forward line - he kicked 3 once or twice last season when Neita was out. With Bate likely to settle at CHF and Newton likely to settle in as a flanker, Miller could find himself in the goal square. With Neita close to retirement, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bails try a few different things.

Miller needs to improve his kicking if he is to be successful in this position, but he generally has a pretty good set of hands (does anyone remember that ripper pack mark he took against Freo at Subi last season??) and has a presence.

you just get this funny feeling that Geelong arent going to know whats hit them !! :))

Bailey is going towant to make a statemtn with his "First Impression" you only get one of those and he will be sure to impart its importance on the blokes.

I really get the feeling that with the no nonsense approach that Bails seems to be about that the mantra is quite simply.."we are here to play Footy. We are here to play Footy.. we are here to PLAY !! "

I suspect all passengers will be let off at platforms along the journey.. the train wont be stopping though !!! lol

you just get this funny feeling that Geelong arent going to know whats hit them !! :))

Bailey is going towant to make a statemtn with his "First Impression" you only get one of those and he will be sure to impart its importance on the blokes.

I really get the feeling that with the no nonsense approach that Bails seems to be about that the mantra is quite simply.."we are here to play Footy. We are here to play Footy.. we are here to PLAY !! "

I suspect all passengers will be let off at platforms along the journey.. the train wont be stopping though !!! lol

The old "go hard or go home" aproach! He's won me over already with the way he goes about his business.